Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Phobophilia posted:

who the gently caress from clinton era SA is still alive and not-permabanned

I was an avid frontpage reader back then and only lurked on the forums without an account. I held on to my precious :10bux: until some of my other forums dried up and they paywalled SADCHUB among other things. I know I'm not alone. The Romero pic made JeffK posts and photoshop phridays.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Phobophilia posted:

who the gently caress from clinton era SA is still alive and not-permabanned
*raises paw*

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I was an avid frontpage reader back then and only lurked on the forums without an account. I held on to my precious :10bux: until some of my other forums dried up and they paywalled SADCHUB among other things. I know I'm not alone. The Romero pic made JeffK posts and photoshop phridays.

same, lurked for years

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Just to let this registered here if anyone else has the same problem in the future and is searching for answers:

Using Windows 10, I was getting a lot of stutters/the game was choppy as hell with Kentie's Launcher + DX10, with or without Biomod, Steam or GOG version. I have a pretty decent rig so that shouldn't happen.

I tried messing with all the options in the launcher, but nothing worked.

However, I saw like five people mentioning that for some reason the recent Nvidia drivers screwed the game and caused those problems and downgrading to 442.74 would make it run smooth again. To my surprise that actually worked, so if you have those issues it may be worth giving it a shot.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 20, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I had the same performance problem and forgot to follow up here, I dug up the older D3D9 renderer plugin and that worked fine for me.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Two things:

1) Cloak is worthless in GMDX 10, like offensively worthless, like gently caress you for even leaving it as an option if this is what you think of it worthless.

2) How is this not the hottest thread in games right now? It turns out Warren Spector was a prophet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Norton the First posted:

Two things:

1) Cloak is worthless in GMDX 10, like offensively worthless, like gently caress you for even leaving it as an option if this is what you think of it worthless.

2) How is this not the hottest thread in games right now? It turns out Warren Spector was a prophet.

Having an elementary understanding of basic history doesn't make you a prophet to anyone aside from people whose entire worldview is shaped by videogames. See also Hideo Kojima being hailed as an oracle for presenting a bunch of 80s cyberpunk tropes to gamers for the first time.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

That'll teach you to have positive opinions about Deus Ex in the Deus Ex thread, fucker.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sleeveless posted:

Having an elementary understanding of basic history doesn't make you a prophet to anyone aside from people whose entire worldview is shaped by videogames. See also Hideo Kojima being hailed as an oracle for presenting a bunch of 80s cyberpunk tropes to gamers for the first time.

There are literally people who think Bill Gates (Bob Page) made COVID so he can make money off the vaccine. It is very spot on.

Kojima sucks massive rear end though

Giant Bomb posted:

We get it, dude. You read Wikipedia.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For the longest time my go tos for the DX itch when I didn’t want more DX were Alpha Protocol and Dishonored.

It think it’s Disco Elysium now though which isn’t even a shooter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha protocol is super cool but it feels like complete rear end to play. Especially on PC.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Gaius Marius posted:

Alpha protocol is super cool but it feels like complete rear end to play. Especially on PC.

Actually, it’s very good and plays fine, especially with a controller!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Alpha Protocol is fun as long as you realize the stealth exists only as means to knock out/eliminate the closest enemy. Do not even attempt to ghost that game. Although the game does recognize when you leave enemies standing, you get a perk for it.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Ah, don't be a fuckin nerd, some of the President Reed/Walton Simons press releases in the mid to late game could be compared almost verbatim to what's coming out today.

yes, I understand that materialist dialectics predicted the end of Super Mario Bros 3 also. thank you and I'm already bored.

seriously though gently caress GMDX for nerfing cloak that hard, if people will always see me I may as well hide from cameras, who I guess will probably always see me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It think it’s Disco Elysium now though which isn’t even a shooter.

Sell me on Disco Elysium?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

I'm pretty interested to hear this too. I really want to like the game but I lose interest pretty quickly. The writing is pretty good sometimes and I like the world design, but I don't find the gameplay or the characters all that compelling. Does it pick up after you cut down the body?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm pretty interested to hear this too. I really want to like the game but I lose interest pretty quickly. The writing is pretty good sometimes and I like the world design, but I don't find the gameplay or the characters all that compelling. Does it pick up after you cut down the body?

If you're not sold already I don't know what to tell you.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think if you don’t love Disco Elysium thirty minutes in you’re not going to like it at all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I know very little about it, other than people saying it’s great.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Glagha posted:

If you're not sold already I don't know what to tell you.

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, I think if you don’t love Disco Elysium thirty minutes in you’re not going to like it at all.

fair enough. :tipshat:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The_Doctor posted:

Planescape: Torment updated to 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the cool thing about Disco Elysium is that the game will keep going even if you fail a ton of skill checks

in some cases, its actually better to gently caress up vs succeed. in most cases, its funnier to gently caress up vs succeed

but theres no combat. and where there is combat, it happens via skill checks during dialogue

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Disco Elysium is the best written video game probably ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok, that does sound interesting, thanks!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Do you like the conversion with the bartender in HK?

Imagine better written. Imagine that’s going on all the time between different internal thoughts in the player characters head. Now imagine it’s different each play through based on skill investment and internalized thoughts. Now add that it’s funny as poo poo.

One of the concepts that DX was sold as was multiple paths through challenges. One can sneak with the baton, or stack boxes, or one can go for the silent takedown with the GEP gun. Disco has that going on, one can straight noir cop it, play as a hobo cop communist, etc and the games writing reacts to this.

It also has that same depth of world building, if you love the emails, news articles, over heard convos in DX that establish the world, disco elysium has that same effort of world building and esoteric content to dig into. I expect it’s going to have the longevity DX does just because one find something new every drat time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Eason the Fifth posted:

I was entirely wrong about this. It took me a minute to get into the game but man, the writing is taut in all the right ways

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There was a Reddit AMA recently with some of the leads at Arkane and when asked "If given unlimited funding and the choice to reboot any franchise you want, what would it be?", their responses were:

Zork, Deus Ex, Dune and a bunch of D&D licenses like SpellJammer, Gamma World and Dark Sun.

If only...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Caves of Qud is already a Gamma World reboot! :eng101:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Immersive world zork, imagine the possibilities. I might actually get to see what's in the white house.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ErrEff posted:

There was a Reddit AMA recently with some of the leads at Arkane and when asked "If given unlimited funding and the choice to reboot any franchise you want, what would it be?", their responses were:

Zork, Deus Ex, Dune and a bunch of D&D licenses like SpellJammer, Gamma World and Dark Sun.

If only...

Please tell me what to sacrifice, to whom and how many. I just want to live in the world where everyone who worked on Dishonored gets to make a modern Deus Ex instead of squeenix.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
A few really important people left Arkane after Prey so it's yet to be seen if they're still a good studio. I do like the sound of Death loop, I loved Mooncrash and it really seems to be leaning into that

E: I was actually thinking of Weird West, the founder's new game after he left Arkane, but Death Loop sounds like it has some similar elements as well

feelix fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 11, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

jojoinnit posted:

Please tell me what to sacrifice, to whom and how many. I just want to live in the world where everyone who worked on Dishonored gets to make a modern Deus Ex instead of squeenix.

Honestly I'd rather they just make their own thing inspired by Deus Ex instead of being beholden to the franchise. Dishonored and Prey wouldn't have been nearly as good if they were actual sequels/remakes of Thief and System Shock.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Honestly I'd rather they just make their own thing inspired by Deus Ex instead of being beholden to the franchise. Dishonored and Prey wouldn't have been nearly as good if they were actual sequels/remakes of Thief and System Shock.

The stories and characters of any of the three games aren’t really what people are interested in, anyway. It’s not like I finished any of them on the edge of my seat as to where it was going next.

Would I love a game with the same gameplay principles and general aesthetic as DX? Sure. Would making it another entry in a story that was really pretty self-contained in the first game really benefit it? Extremely doubtful.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there any benefit to doing the sequence break and getting the overclocked aug thing for Vaclav early? I've heard it actually locks you out of other content.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shumagorath posted:

Is there any benefit to doing the sequence break and getting the overclocked aug thing for Vaclav early? I've heard it actually locks you out of other content.

I don't think it locks you out of anything. When you go talk to the Russian mob dude about the gizmo, you can either make a deal or feed him a lead sandwich. If you do the former, he asks for favors later on. In golem city he tells you to kill the shopkeeper, and late in the game he gives you a mission to extract some dude. Regardless of when you get it, Vaclav will not install it before a certain plot point.

Still, AFAIK there is no penalty for overclocking so it doesn't matter.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 15, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Helianthus Annuus posted:

the cool thing about Disco Elysium is that the game will keep going even if you fail a ton of skill checks

in some cases, its actually better to gently caress up vs succeed. in most cases, its funnier to gently caress up vs succeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxWIjlGKwZA

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 15, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I don't care if option 3 is a Terminator reference or not; that might have sold me the game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

im not sure which of the success rolls i like better, the one where youre talking with the two old guys playing a game or the one where you teleport

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I love the karaoke ancient reptilian brain or limbic system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Disco Elysium is good but it's kind of the anti- Deus Ex in that while it invokes a lot of broader political and philosophical ideas the actual conflict is a a very small scale murder mystery that involves a lot of characters and environments that were shaped by larger conflicts and forces. You're not going to be pressing a button to determine the future of human civilization or personally interacting with the head of the Illuminati.