Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BigDave posted:

Turn them over to COMSUBPAC and COMSUBATL for target practice.

Time to make some new artificial reefs!

gently caress yeah, been awhile since an American sub got tonnage.

You could also park them, and allow them to turn into damp, rusting, disease ridden symbols of man's hubris, and the high cost of capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Elviscat posted:

You could also park them, and allow them to turn into damp, rusting, disease ridden symbols of man's hubris, and the high cost of capitalism.

Florida already exists.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Silly Burrito posted:

Some of us enjoy cruises simply because you can see a bunch of new places without having to drive or unpack and pack multiple times, eat some good food, and relax any drat way you want to.

You are bad and wrong. I can understand paying extra for a fully planned vacation where you don't have to arrange anything, but I don't know why you would want to spend so much of your vacation trapped in the hotel.

Also the gently caress you got to unpack? A suitcase with clothes, and a backpack with [emergency money/cards, first aid kit, toiletries]. The only time I have ever had to pack and unpack multiple times was a car camping roadtrip. What do you bring with you that is worth packing and unpacking, even once, on a cruise?

Sorry for being such a poo poo, but it makes no sense to me. If it was a business trip, sure, pack and unpack your clothes and make sure you look good when you need to. Bring an iron in case they don't have one.

Why do you have anything to even unpack on vacation? Comfy clothes and an oh poo poo bag, what else is worth your effort during free relaxation time?

I'm honestly not trying to be a turd, I do not understand how going on a cruise and having enough baggage that you need to unpack it even counts as vacation in the first place. I don't want to swim in the hotel pool or go the hotel bar. I want to reach my destination and spend time there. Why is a cruise better?

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

WITCHCRAFT posted:

You are bad and wrong. I can understand paying extra for a fully planned vacation where you don't have to arrange anything, but I don't know why you would want to spend so much of your vacation trapped in the hotel.

Also the gently caress you got to unpack? A suitcase with clothes, and a backpack with [emergency money/cards, first aid kit, toiletries]. The only time I have ever had to pack and unpack multiple times was a car camping roadtrip. What do you bring with you that is worth packing and unpacking, even once, on a cruise?

Sorry for being such a poo poo, but it makes no sense to me. If it was a business trip, sure, pack and unpack your clothes and make sure you look good when you need to. Bring an iron in case they don't have one.

Why do you have anything to even unpack on vacation? Comfy clothes and an oh poo poo bag, what else is worth your effort during free relaxation time?

I'm honestly not trying to be a turd, I do not understand how going on a cruise and having enough baggage that you need to unpack it even counts as vacation in the first place. I don't want to swim in the hotel pool or go the hotel bar. I want to reach my destination and spend time there. Why is a cruise better?

The sheer amount of poo poo that a woman has to pack around with her in order to look presentable is nuts. I am not an extra fancy gal but when we go somewhere for longer than a night I got to bring at least three or four times the amount of stuff that my husband needs. Make-up and skin care, that's at least one extra bag. Don't know exactly what we will be doing? Better bring a nice outfit, nice shoes, and a nicer purse. But you still need walking shoes, which aren't the same thing as casual shoes, and you'll need sock for all them. Jeans aren't so very fashionable now, so you bring leggings or other pants and you can't wear those multiple days in a row like jeans. And maybe you'll get your period, so you got to prep for that. I could go on, but my point is that a lot of women got to pack this poo poo around with them in order if they want to stay sort of stylish. If you are really into fashion and stuff the load is only magnified.

Oh, and God help you if you have a kid you need to pack for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've inherited my mother's tendency to overpack to the point of absurdity. At least one point we went on a holiday with my stepfather's woodworking tools. Though apparently he used them to fix a trailer at some point, so I suppose it worked out.

Sometimes once I get home I'll put off unpacking and just keep using whatever's left in the suitcase until it's empty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sometimes once I get home I'll put off unpacking and just keep using whatever's left in the suitcase until it's empty.

:same:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You only have a problem if you find yourself putting things back into the suitcase rather than where they belong.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve heard of people retiring on cruises, but it doesn’t cost them millions of dollars. Maybe $5k a month.

You could probably negotiate a long term rate for a decent room, get the meal/drink plan, and never cook or clean again all the while enjoying sunshine and beaches. People do it. Or did it. Not sure what they’re doing now. Maybe annoying the gently caress out of their adult children because they have no place else to go.

I'm guessing the millions are for places like this.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WITCHCRAFT posted:

You completely missed the point I was trying to make. If I want to see a bunch of new places on a regular vacation, let’s say Washington DC, New York City, and Boston, what will I have to do? I’ll have to drive or fly to each spot, find a new hotel, and unpack my stuff (even if it’s a small bag I still have to do this). Then I’ll have to find a decent place to eat. Then when I’m ready to go to the next destination, I’ll have to check out, pack, find transportation to the next city, check into a new hotel, unpack, rinse and repeat until the vacation is over, and then I have to do all of this again to prepare to go home.

Now if I’m on a cruise that goes to multiple stops in Mexico and Honduras (for example), I drive to the port, park my car, drop off my luggage, and get on the ship. The luggage is brought to my room. I unpack it, and then get off the ship at every port that we visit. I’m hardly “trapped in the hotel”. I can do shore excursions that run the range from exploring old ruins, touring a new city, enjoying a pristine beach, etc. When the day is done, I simply get back on the ship, and if I’m not full from sampling the food at the port, I can go to a nice sit down restaurant and enjoy whatever I want to eat from a menu that has multiple varied different options. For “free” because yes, it is included in the price of your ticket. When I’m done after a week, I leave my luggage outside my door (if I want, I can bring it off myself but this is easier), pick it up when I get off the ship, and drive home. Depending on the length of your cruise, you’ll have 3-5 different destinations on average that you can visit.

I have to do this with my wife and three kids, so that’s a lot of luggage to lug around and planning to do. So on a cruise, I can visit multiple destinations, do whatever I want to, and see a lot of sights without a ton of hassle.

It may not be your cup of tea but it’s a hell of a lot easier to do. I’ve done the Griswold family trip and a cruise is superior in every way if you want to visit a bunch of new places in one vacation.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Silly Burrito posted:

You completely missed the point I was trying to make. If I want to see a bunch of new places on a regular vacation, let’s say Washington DC, New York City, and Boston, what will I have to do? I’ll have to drive or fly to each spot, find a new hotel, and unpack my stuff (even if it’s a small bag I still have to do this). Then I’ll have to find a decent place to eat. Then when I’m ready to go to the next destination, I’ll have to check out, pack, find transportation to the next city, check into a new hotel, unpack, rinse and repeat until the vacation is over, and then I have to do all of this again to prepare to go home.

Now if I’m on a cruise that goes to multiple stops in Mexico and Honduras (for example), I drive to the port, park my car, drop off my luggage, and get on the ship. The luggage is brought to my room. I unpack it, and then get off the ship at every port that we visit. I’m hardly “trapped in the hotel”. I can do shore excursions that run the range from exploring old ruins, touring a new city, enjoying a pristine beach, etc. When the day is done, I simply get back on the ship, and if I’m not full from sampling the food at the port, I can go to a nice sit down restaurant and enjoy whatever I want to eat from a menu that has multiple varied different options. For “free” because yes, it is included in the price of your ticket. When I’m done after a week, I leave my luggage outside my door (if I want, I can bring it off myself but this is easier), pick it up when I get off the ship, and drive home. Depending on the length of your cruise, you’ll have 3-5 different destinations on average that you can visit.

I have to do this with my wife and three kids, so that’s a lot of luggage to lug around and planning to do. So on a cruise, I can visit multiple destinations, do whatever I want to, and see a lot of sights without a ton of hassle.

It may not be your cup of tea but it’s a hell of a lot easier to do. I’ve done the Griswold family trip and a cruise is superior in every way if you want to visit a bunch of new places in one vacation.

Can I suggest taking a trip to Holland?

Its been a while since I was there last time, but they used to have houseboats you could rent for a week, where the family sails you around the country on the little rivers and all you have to do is look out the window to see the whole country snail its way past you. They stop over for the evening and night in a new major city and end up dropping you off in the city you started in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SerthVarnee posted:

Its been a while since I was there last time, but they used to have houseboats you could rent for a week, where the family sails you around the country on the little rivers and all you have to do is look out the window to see the whole country snail its way past you. They stop over for the evening and night in a new major city and end up dropping you off in the city you started in.

You can do these small cruises through a lot of Western Europe, probably the rest of the continent as well. I remember a classmate did their requisite 'live in France to really nail the language' time working on one, and every morning they'd get fresh cheese and pastry from whatever little French hamlet they were by on the river.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SerthVarnee posted:

there wolf posted:

You can do these small cruises through a lot of Western Europe, probably the rest of the continent as well. I remember a classmate did their requisite 'live in France to really nail the language' time working on one, and every morning they'd get fresh cheese and pastry from whatever little French hamlet they were by on the river.

That sounds very cool. I’d definitely be down for something like that. I’ve never been to Europe, but it’s somewhere we would love to visit.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Xlorp posted:

I wanna Ruth's Chris' Kentucky Fried Chicken California

I remember that Savage Garden song

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Sir Lemming posted:

Just wanna put it out there that I really appreciate this joke.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Disney cruise was nice because the whole ship is geared towards kids so you can let your children roam and do whatever. There aren’t a lot of circumstances where you can let a 10 year old run free in a place as busy as that with very little risk.

Putting a lot of kids on a boat with unlimited food can be gross as poo poo though. Our last night dining in the ‘nice’ restaurant had us sitting next to a family whose kid poo poo ALL up his back. Like a second skin. As green as Marvin the Martian to put it in a Disney perspective.

Im good with never going on another cruise at this time.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
This is gonna make me sound hella Bougie but canal boating through England was the best. Moor up next to a pub at night, tour the Cadbury factory, check out royal dalton China factory, explore Stratford upon Avon and see a play in the actual globe theatre.

Highly recommend. You take your house and kitchen with you on the canal so it’s like your own private cruise

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I vaguely remember a stop-motion cartoon about a guy living on a riverboat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

As green as Marvin the Martian to put it in a Disney perspective.

:actually:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Disney cruise was nice because the whole ship is geared towards kids so you can let your children roam and do whatever. There aren’t a lot of circumstances where you can let a 10 year old run free in a place as busy as that with very little risk.

Putting a lot of kids on a boat with unlimited food can be gross as poo poo though. Our last night dining in the ‘nice’ restaurant had us sitting next to a family whose kid poo poo ALL up his back. Like a second skin. As green as Marvin the Martian to put it in a Disney perspective.

Im good with never going on another cruise at this time.

I'm pretty sure all cruise ships are covered in a thin layer of human feces

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Load-bearing feces

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Trap sprung.

Platystemon posted:

Load-bearing feces

Feces floats so it does help with buoyancy.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty sure all cruise ships are covered in a thin layer of human feces

I know you're joking, but on the last one we took, they were NOT messing around with norovirus. They had hand washing stations set up and were preventing people from entering the buffet or restaurant areas if they didn't sanitize their hands. One woman was very polite but firm in making sure everyone cleaned up before eating. Sanitizer stations were located in a ton of places around the ship.

Now people can be pigs otherwise, I'll fully grant you, but no more different than places I've seen people pulling dollars bills out of various sweaty crevices to pay for goods. Just don't think too heavily as to where that dollar bill has been before it got to you. :barf:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I feel like you're all missing the entire point of a cruise. The point of a cruise is to eat as much as possible while loafing around as much as possible. For some people that is a vacation, they just want to sleep and eat.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This is gonna make me sound hella Bougie but canal boating through England was the best.
three men in a boat (to say nothing of the dog) did make it sound charming

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sir Lemming posted:

Holy poo poo

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

WITCHCRAFT posted:

lol I bet this is the type of guy to literally just throw everything in garbage bags and duct tape them closed.

cruises rule, gently caress the haters. my disney cruise with my wife and 2 kids were the best money I ever spent.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Just lol if you don't have Enrique go on holiday for you.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super Waffle posted:

I feel like you're all missing the entire point of a cruise. The point of a cruise is to eat as much as possible while loafing around as much as possible. For some people that is a vacation, they just want to sleep and eat.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, my parents have rented boats for a couple weeks each time in Ireland, Belgium, and Germany at different times and basically cruised the rivers, stopping at whatever looked interesting and tying up each night whatever small hamlet was convenient. It’s a fantastic way to see the countryside and interact with actual regular folk.

The downside is that you’re unlikely to see the BIG TOURIST ATTRACTIONS, and you need at least some experience handling a narrow 25’ boat. It’s not cheap, but it’s not horrifically expensive, since you sleep onboard and can cook most/all of your meals there as well.

There are also small (200 passengers or so) cruises around various large N. European waterways that are nothing like the tacky enormo-cruises like Carnival or Princess, but they’re VERY expensive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, my parents have rented boats for a couple weeks each time in Ireland, Belgium, and Germany at different times and basically cruised the rivers, stopping at whatever looked interesting and tying up each night whatever small hamlet was convenient. It’s a fantastic way to see the countryside and interact with actual regular folk.

The downside is that you’re unlikely to see the BIG TOURIST ATTRACTIONS, and you need at least some experience handling a narrow 25’ boat. It’s not cheap, but it’s not horrifically expensive, since you sleep onboard and can cook most/all of your meals there as well.

There are also small (200 passengers or so) cruises around various large N. European waterways that are nothing like the tacky enormo-cruises like Carnival or Princess, but they’re VERY expensive.

I've done a couple day-long Fjord Tours up in Norway, the multiple day ones kinda appeal to me.

Otherwise gently caress cruises, I've spent enough time in my life stuck on boats TYVM.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

David Foster Wallace's take on cruises is still pretty good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

David Foster Wallace's take on cruises is still pretty good.

Which book? Because that is exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

JnnyThndrs posted:

And even smaller cruises in some places! A few years back my father and his partner did one with I think ~25 people along the Adriatic coast in Croatia, they never mentioned the cost but it must have been expensive, they had a chef and a guide onboard for the off-boat tours. It was sold as a weeklong cultural and historical excursion for retirees. They had a fabulous time and would probably have kept doing similar trips if she hadn't passed away from cancer.

They were the kind of overeducated liberal white people who fetishize superficial cultural consumption and would certainly have looked down on the poorer tourists pouring off a big ship to get drunk and buy cheap t-shirts at Caribbean or Gulf Coast resorts, even though it's basically the same bougie bullshit, just more exclusionary. At least they walked a lot every day on their cruise though.

Cruises as a concept seem kind of gross and the big cruise lines have horrific human and environmental costs. We'd be better off if they disappeared, but there's enough money in the industry that some will probably get bailed out, or other players will step in to replace any failed companies.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Elviscat posted:

Which book? Because that is exactly the sort of thing I'd be interested in.

Title essay of the collection A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Title essay of the collection A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again

Ah, the essays always make my brain hurt, I'll have to give them another try.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gloom posted:

And even smaller cruises in some places! A few years back my father and his partner did one with I think ~25 people along the Adriatic coast in Croatia, they never mentioned the cost but it must have been expensive, they had a chef and a guide onboard for the off-boat tours. It was sold as a weeklong cultural and historical excursion for retirees. They had a fabulous time and would probably have kept doing similar trips if she hadn't passed away from cancer.

They were the kind of overeducated liberal white people who fetishize superficial cultural consumption and would certainly have looked down on the poorer tourists pouring off a big ship to get drunk and buy cheap t-shirts at Caribbean or Gulf Coast resorts, even though it's basically the same bougie bullshit, just more exclusionary. At least they walked a lot every day on their cruise though.

Cruises as a concept seem kind of gross and the big cruise lines have horrific human and environmental costs. We'd be better off if they disappeared, but there's enough money in the industry that some will probably get bailed out, or other players will step in to replace any failed companies.

Sounds like everybody probably hosed everybody else

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm always reminded of the r/relationships post about the guy on a cruise who just pigged out on crab every day to his wife's incredulity, she described him as 'farting and sweating crab juice'.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have so many, many reasons not to go on a cruise, but the biggest is that the only place you get to really explore in any depth is the cruise ship. You can't poke around and find the hidden gems, like the place with perfect margaritas or out-of-this-world fish tacos.

I don't want to trapped on a boat with a limited number of same-y restaurants and bars that all serve the same drinks the same way as mandated by corporate.

My MiL won at an onboard casino, but spent even more on "limited edition" Mickey prints.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sounds like everybody probably hosed everybody else

I know quite a few millennials who've enjoyed going on cruises in their 20s and this usually is a big factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The SS Herpes is obviously not on trial here.