Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Vanguard Vets with jump packs only went up from 17 to 19 though, which is solidly at 12% and in the middle of the range. And who took Vanguard Vets without jump packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

They've also been bad for almost as long. GW still sells Tactical Squads, why on Earth would they be trying to get people to stop buying them? As a company that is presumably still trying to make money, half the stuff people think GW is supposedly doing would do exactly the opposite.

I played 2nd/3rd/4th and don't remember tacticals ever actually being even okay. Was there a point where they were useful between then and 8th?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

Here's a google doc with the 8th to 9th changes, though without Forge World points:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1imDg-fwz0NUE46QwjIRcGgDUV7bXRY8J_PCbbTw90lU/edit#gid=1963133187

Sternguard and Vanguard went up base from 14 to 17 points, up 21% which is worse than average. (Average is 14-15%). For the Sternguard, though, most of the better combi-weapons actually went down, so if you use those rather than the special issue bolters you're actually better off.

:negative:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've definitely seen a few lists in 8th using Tacs as objective holders but Scouts and Tacs got hit all the same

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I have been thinking and decided that if there is every an 40k animated project where the Emperor has speaking role if he is voiced by anyone other than Clancy Brown I will be very disappointed. Just want to throw that out there.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Eej posted:

Columns are: 8th Edition points, 9th Edition points, Percentage Increase

I think this is really all you need to say about their plans for smol Marines
I've never understood why so many of the (really bad) names given to Chadmarine squads begin with "I?" Incursor, Inceptor, Infiltrator, Intercessor etc. I assume the names were chosen for Maximum Copyright like in AOS but I still think they're real bad.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 4, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

side_burned posted:

I have been thinking and decided that if there is every an 40k animated project where the Emperor has speaking role if he is voiced by anyone other than Clancy Brown I will be very disappointed. Just want to throw that out there.

Good choice but nah it'd have to be a dude with an English accent

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

JollyBoyJohn posted:

drat shame Christopher Lee isn't alive to do it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I play against a guy who runs raptors and his combat squad lascannon tacs often catch me unawares.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

drat shame Christopher Lee isn't alive to do it
Surely they can just resurrect him (or his voice) with an Abominable Intelligence like WaveNet or whatever

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm trying to figure out a lore friendly back-story for my GSC and wanted to run my idea by you. I'm not super adept at the lore and I know that you can do basically anything you like but I really like the idea of having an army that's fairly unique and totally works lore-wise.

The idea is that there are rogue trader ships that go from war-torn planet to war torn planet to salvage the stuff that was left behind (destroyed tanks, weapons, what have you) to fix them up and sell them.

On one of these ships, a genestealer managed to sneak on and infect and ultimately take over the ship. Now the ship continues going from planet to planet salvaging battlefields, but they use it to arm themselves and infect the local population of the planets they visit if there are any survivors.

I think this would allow me to do some cool stuff with the models that make them look like they were welded together from different parts and would explain how the GSC got access to both heavy weaponry and uses industrial tools. Since it's a rogue trader ship, I'm going to make the brood brothers look more like private security rather than imperial guard guys (because I think that's fun, even though I could easily make an argument for them salvaging the armor).

Does this make sense? From what I read GS cultists want nothing more than to meet their gods on the planet they took over for them, but in this case they have already fully taken over a ship and are instead hopping from planet to planet infecting those. I think it's probably fine but I feel kinda bad for the cultists stuck on the ship as they may never meet their gods.
I'm also wondering if the salvaging thing works lore-wise. I'm not sure if the Imperium already salvages things or if it's forbidden to do so.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

side_burned posted:

I was going to say Simon Templeman aka Kain/Jacob Danik but then realised he’d be a better Horus/Abaddon or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRZMxCkBv_4

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Morgan Freeman and watch all the Arches self-immolate.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

a7m2 posted:

I'm trying to figure out a lore friendly back-story for my GSC and wanted to run my idea by you. I'm not super adept at the lore and I know that you can do basically anything you like but I really like the idea of having an army that's fairly unique and totally works lore-wise.

The idea is that there are rogue trader ships that go from war-torn planet to war torn planet to salvage the stuff that was left behind (destroyed tanks, weapons, what have you) to fix them up and sell them.

On one of these ships, a genestealer managed to sneak on and infect and ultimately take over the ship. Now the ship continues going from planet to planet salvaging battlefields, but they use it to arm themselves and infect the local population of the planets they visit if there are any survivors.

I think this would allow me to do some cool stuff with the models that make them look like they were welded together from different parts and would explain how the GSC got access to both heavy weaponry and uses industrial tools. Since it's a rogue trader ship, I'm going to make the brood brothers look more like private security rather than imperial guard guys (because I think that's fun, even though I could easily make an argument for them salvaging the armor).

Does this make sense? From what I read GS cultists want nothing more than to meet their gods on the planet they took over for them, but in this case they have already fully taken over a ship and are instead hopping from planet to planet infecting those. I think it's probably fine but I feel kinda bad for the cultists stuck on the ship as they may never meet their gods.
I'm also wondering if the salvaging thing works lore-wise. I'm not sure if the Imperium already salvages things or if it's forbidden to do so.

I say go for it! I think another goon's already done a similar idea. Spread the news of the coming of the Star Children to a grateful galaxy!

Edit: also Necromunda Enforcers might be a good starting point for your Brood Brothers, since you're not going for just IG (wise move, considering the age of the range).

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 4, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

a7m2 posted:

The only thing I'd change is I wouldn't make it a Rogue Trader. Rogue Traders have a warrant of trade that gives them permissions specifically to leave the Imperium and deal with aliens. Explore unexplored regions, claim new planets and colonise them etc.

What you are describing would for sure exist, but I reckon exist more as a sort of 40K corporation, maybe one based on a hive world that invests in lots of stuff.

That way you can make it a Weyland-Yutani homage, going full circle back to genestealers just being an alien homage anyway.

Who knows, maybe there are suggestions that the original crew members were mysteriously diverted to a specific location, and the entire crew of the investigating ship was killed bar the second officer who managed to survive.

If you really want to go the Rogue Trader angle then scrap merchant is probably a bit low for them. I'd say they focus specifically on harvesting alien battlefields outside the Imperium and they sell the tech illegally to noble imperial houses. However that's just one of their business ventures, rather than the sole focus.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
So I've played like 3 games of 9th now after skipping 7th and 8th for superior game systems (LotR is vastly superior, try it some time).

The new terrain rules alleviate some of the worth of 8th (didn't get first turn? Pack your pretty models away), and I'm pretty on the fence. It's been reasonably fun, but something hasn't clicked and I suspect it's actually the colour scheme of the army.

This is about half of my painted Eldar. Starting a new army isn't an option, as I'm not keen to paint a whole new army from scratch Eldar are love, Eldar are life.

I think the issue is the mismatching green on my vehicles and assorted bases? I can't put my finger on it, but the army doesn't feel great when I plonk it down and I think it is what soured me on 40K a little.

Red Herring fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 4, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not willing to strip some percent and repaint those?

Also your image link is broken - link to the direct image and not the album/page itself :) I had to quote your post to get the URL to look at it

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Red Herring posted:

So I've played like 3 games of 9th now after skipping 7th and 8th for superior game systems (LotR is vastly superior, try it some time).

The new terrain rules alleviate some of the worth of 8th (didn't get first turn? Pack your pretty models away), and I'm pretty on the fence. It's been reasonably fun, but something hasn't clicked and I suspect it's actually the colour scheme of the army.

This is about half of my painted Eldar. Starting a new army isn't an option, as I'm not keen to paint a whole new army from scratch Eldar are love, Eldar are life.

I think the issue is the mismatching green on my vehicles and assorted bases? I can't put my finger on it, but the army doesn't feel great when I plonk it down and I think it is what soured me on 40K a little.

I actually think from this photo your army looks pretty good? Though for some reason I can't see the photo so I had to quote your post and copy and paste the imgur link)

Maybe up close it doesn't or something but certainly from the point of view of someone standing on the other side of a table it looks fine. The slightly different tones of greens is marginally annoying I guess but a lot of effort to fix and I don't think it's necessary.

Not really sure what to suggest if it's just not clicking without knowing what you play the games for. Is it the story telling side or the gaming side? Also do you mostly play around people's houses or at clubs with lots of terrain options? I suspect it's nothing to do with the colour of your models though, it could also just be you don't like how Eldar play right now as they are a bit unloved in terms of GW rules updates.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kitchner posted:

The only thing I'd change is I wouldn't make it a Rogue Trader. Rogue Traders have a warrant of trade that gives them permissions specifically to leave the Imperium and deal with aliens. Explore unexplored regions, claim new planets and colonise them etc.

What you are describing would for sure exist, but I reckon exist more as a sort of 40K corporation, maybe one based on a hive world that invests in lots of stuff.

That way you can make it a Weyland-Yutani homage, going full circle back to genestealers just being an alien homage anyway.

Who knows, maybe there are suggestions that the original crew members were mysteriously diverted to a specific location, and the entire crew of the investigating ship was killed bar the second officer who managed to survive.

If you really want to go the Rogue Trader angle then scrap merchant is probably a bit low for them. I'd say they focus specifically on harvesting alien battlefields outside the Imperium and they sell the tech illegally to noble imperial houses. However that's just one of their business ventures, rather than the sole focus.

So are there regular traders or captains going around too? I thought for humans it was just Imperium, rogue traders, maybe some smugglers. I definitely don't know much about the lore though!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I say go for it! I think another goon's already done a similar idea. Spread the news of the coming of the Star Children to a grateful galaxy!

Edit: also Necromunda Enforcers might be a good starting point for your Brood Brothers, since you're not going for just IG (wise move, considering the age of the range).

Ohh the enforcers look good. I am actually using the IG models, I just slightly modified them (got rid of Imperium markers and added some bits and bobs here and there).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

a7m2 posted:

So are there regular traders or captains going around too? I thought for humans it was just Imperium, rogue traders, maybe some smugglers. I definitely don't know much about the lore though!

IIRC there are rogue traders (who can go outside the Imperium and freely within), there are free traders (who can freely trade either within a sector or sub-sector or similar but not outside), there are route traders (who can only do the run from from Gudrun to Bonaventure or something), and there are in-system traders (non-warp transport like between Earth and Pluto). Warrants may also be limited by cargo (e.g. spice is fine but space-silk isn't). Also the age of the warrant of trade (the parchment what says you can trade) matters with the oldest ones (being closest in time to that of Him On Terra) holding more precedential value (which can matter is anything from who gets seated where by the lord governor at a party up to who has first claim to a new venture or sector).

The influence is very clearly age of sail merchant seamen and poo poo (actually, I'm told that the FFG Rogue Trader rules for spacing only make sense if the void is literally a sea which means that 40k space literally is an ocean so the BFG naval battles make a lot more sense, IMO?)

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 4, 2020

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Not willing to strip some percent and repaint those?

Also your image link is broken - link to the direct image and not the album/page itself :) I had to quote your post to get the URL to look at it

Thanks, I fixed it.

As for stripping and repainting, I actually parted with a huge chunk of my NIB Eldar after it sat on sprue for the better part of a decade. They don't really need a strip, as the quality is fine (the Saim Hann vehicles will get a strip though).

Maybe Biel Tan is finally dead to me :ohdear:

Kitchner posted:

I actually think from this photo your army looks pretty good? Though for some reason I can't see the photo so I had to quote your post and copy and paste the imgur link)

Maybe up close it doesn't or something but certainly from the point of view of someone standing on the other side of a table it looks fine. The slightly different tones of greens is marginally annoying I guess but a lot of effort to fix and I don't think it's necessary.

Not really sure what to suggest if it's just not clicking without knowing what you play the games for. Is it the storytelling side or the gaming side? Also do you mostly play around people's houses or at clubs with lots of terrain options? I suspect it's nothing to do with the colour of your models though, it could also just be you don't like how Eldar play right now as they are a bit unloved in terms of GW rules updates.

Yeah I can't put my finger on it but I'm not sure it's the gameplay. I still quite enjoy the shenanigans of Eldar, thought I definitely agree with you about the lack of recent love.

We mostly play at mates places since we're all big boys now with plenty of terrain and we're all reasonably seasoned tournament players, though we have moved to other systems in recent years.

I strongly suspect it's the bases and vehicles, as with aspect heavy armies it can be hard to unify the army feel. Varied vehicles and mismatched bases makes it a hodgepodge of units?

Though, maybe the army is subconsciously showing its age for me? Chunks of it are over a decade old.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

a7m2 posted:

There's basically everything, the Imperium is so huge and there are so many worlds as long as you don't sort of impinge on something that already exists, you can make up whatever you want.

In terms of "does it already exist" though, yeah, there's tons of companies that operate within the Imperium, they tend to be owned by Noble houses though rather than investor owned mega-corps, but you can easily be an investor owned mega-corp, you just want it based in a Hive City or something where it already hits that sort of Blade Runner dystopian mega city vibe.

A key part of how the GSC operates is the fact the initially infected people don't really understand they are infected. Their brain chemistry is altered to forget all events surrounding how they were infected (just a vague recollection of fighting and surviving). After that the infected people basically have a drive to reproduce and protect their mutated children. It's only when the cult is a generation on that the hybrids start to sort of proactively act... well cultish.

You could have it so a Corporation/Trader tried to capture and experiment/sell on a genestealer, it got lose, and infected the crew and over time the senior officers have all been replaced by hybrids and now they deliberately spread their taint around the local region. The goal of the GSC is basically to breed enough to create a beacon to call in the Tyranid hive fleet so they probably wouldn't want to actually spread out too much, they want to reach critical mass. The cult's long term plan is probably to infiltrate a sector's government and military might, and cause outbreaks of fighting and rioting across the entire sector at the same time, distracting the government and draining resources before the Hive Fleet arrives.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Space has always been a stand in for the sea.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Red Herring posted:

They don't really need a strip

Oh I misread your post; I thought your complaint was that some models greens and others red/brown and all sorts of stuff, not specifically that a few are dark green and the others are a lighter green :)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
In one of the books there is a massive slaughterhouse ship that picks up livestock and delivers meat to hive worlds, so I do not see why there wouldn’t be salvage ships. Maybe there is a Scrappers Guild or something, it’s a big galaxy, more then enough room for your cool idea.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm not really sure where to start with 40k. I was thinking maybe Kill Team and get a Start Collecting boxed set to start, but I need some advice!

Current armies I'm most interested in: Necrons, Chaos Space Marines, Space Wolves, Sisters of Battle

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LingcodKilla posted:

Space has always been a stand in for the sea.

No: BFG battles look like age of sail battles because 40k exists in a reality where space literally is a sea. It's like luminiferous aether or some poo poo (the stuff they used to think space was filled with because they didn't have the theoretical framework for vacuum or something).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Bucnasti posted:

In one of the books there is a massive slaughterhouse ship that picks up livestock and delivers meat to hive worlds, so I do not see why there wouldn’t be salvage ships. Maybe there is a Scrappers Guild or something, it’s a big galaxy, more then enough room for your cool idea.

Exactly, as long as you're not like "This company has a close working relationship with Rogul Dorn, o h yeah they know where he is but it's a secret" or something you can pretty much just have almost anything exist.

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm not really sure where to start with 40k. I was thinking maybe Kill Team and get a Start Collecting boxed set to start, but I need some advice!

Current armies I'm most interested in: Necrons, Chaos Space Marines, Space Wolves, Sisters of Battle

I mean all those are radically different play styles and personally I don't think KT is a good introduction to the game of 40K. Sure it's an OK intro to the setting and the modeling/painting side of the hobby but that's about it.

One of the reasons for this is that KT and 40K don't mesh in terms of what you buy. As an example, my girlfriend bought a Space Wolves pack and you can make an OK KT with that, but then it's a crap unit in 40K despite the fact you can actually field them. On the other hand, to make a SoB KT you need to buy several different boxes, one of them for just a single model.

In terms of what to buy to get started, the Necrons are in a really good place right now as a new player, there's tons of cheap models on ebay (I saw 10 warriors from indomitus for £14). Most Start Collecting! boxes are £60 and you get a HQ and two-three units. Looking at ebay someone is literally selling the necron half of indomitus for £62. You could buy 20 warriors an overlord, and some destroyers for like £40.

If you want to buy space wolves, the Start Collecting Primaris Space Wolves is one of the best boxes in terms of value for money. £60 for a HQ, 10 intercessors and 3 Aggressors is great, and right now you can get like 10 assault intercessors for £25 on ebay, so for £75 you have got a HQ, an elites choice, and 4 really solid (if a little dull) troops choices.

CSM and SoB are a little harder to break into, but generally speaking going with HQ and some troops is a good choice.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Kill team is where I started. Really low level of entry. A lot of kill teams can be made with just one box of basic troops, in some cases a start collecting box would be overkill because some units couldn't even be used. It is also a good way to try a fraction before investing. I made like 8 kill teams before settling on one (thousand sons) that I've now invested enough money into to make up to a 1500 point army.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I like Kill Team as an entry point to the hobby. Bear in mind the rules, while close, are also significantly different from full blown 40K so there's a possibility you might not like one system while enjoying the other.

I hear Space Wolves are pretty good in 9th so far, and Necrons will be getting a codex soon which is good and bad (bad because power creep is a thing so sometimes armies which get a codex earlier on get left behind compared to codices which come out later on in edition)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 4, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looks like GW legal went after Battlescribe.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I wish they would have had the goddamn common courtesy to wait until there was an actual working alternative (even one that cost a Disney+ per month)?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TKIY posted:

:rolleyes:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
See i really don't see it as a good intro to the gaming side because it falls over in a couple of ways:

1. The rules are radically different in terms of activation, the fact that there's so many negative modifiers to hit, true line of sight vs 9th terrain rules etc.
  2. The fact that standard dudes don't achieve much (e.g. Intercessor, guardsman etc), but they are the ones that are needed most in a 40K army.
  3. Several models work differently in the two games. For example marines not having bolter discipline in KT means you may easily forget the rule in 40K.
  4. Even if you do play a KT with a bunch of special weapons and stuff, it's difficult to use those same models in a 40K army.
  5. The fact I genuinely believe its a more complex game when you consider everything going on, despite the fact there are less models on the board.
  6. Multiple KT (particularly non-SM) play very differently in 40K and KT, meaning you can't even test it out for a "feel" of the army that well

Compare all that to buying a Start Collecting box and a troops unit or something and playing 500 points of 40K as an intro. More expensive and more models to paint, but it is the game you're considering to get into.

I do think KT is a good intro to modelling and painting because the model count is so low, and some KT really do work well out of a single box and could then be used in a 40K army, all while playing very similarly (GK in particular). If that's what you want from an intro that's fine, but probably best sticking to KT for quite a while until you're really comfortable with the rules.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

TKIY posted:

Have you got any source for that? If it's a case of the files not showing up in Battlescribe, then you probably just need to wait a while. They tend to disappear and reappear from time to time; something to do with wherever they're hosted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think KT would have been neat if it had been "40k Necromunda" but that's a different thing than it was, and a different thing than small-scale 40k.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
All those points are valid in relation to KT. The game does play different, and if you buy a 10 man box of say CSM and make a bunch of special weapons for your roster, you can't use all of them in a regular squad, you have to do some count as or not wysiwyg.

However, the hit and damage mechanics are the same, and I find 500 point patrol games rare, at least at my FLGS. Granted with a new edition people are talking do an escalation/crusade, but before that people were doing either KT or like 1500 point games.

e: I will note I've only played KT. I'm putting together a full army for 9th, but won't get a chance to play until the US gets its poo poo together with COVID.

Werix fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 4, 2020

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Werix posted:

I find 500 point patrol games rare, at least at my FLGS.

I don't game that much at my FLGS but when I try it's impossible to get anyone to agree to a game less than 1500 points. They usually say that 500 point games are too quick and early decided to be any fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kitchner posted:

See i really don't see it as a good intro to the gaming side because it falls over in a couple of ways:

A few pages ago I had a similar discussion with someone who was talking about getting his wife into playing and they made similar points against KT. Maybe it was you!

Yea they're definitely different enough, I think it's fair to add a big warning label that says, "Very different flavor than 40K".

I just think it's a lot more palettable to say, "get this $35 epub for the KT rules and split the $80 Know No Fear box with someone" or "split the $130 KT two-player box" rather than, "buy this expensive tome of a rulebook you could bludgeon someone to death with, then your army codex, and an expensive Start Collecting box". If you're able to split Indominutus box or something equivalent to it then great, but overall I find the barrier to entry is just a bit higher for 40K

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 4, 2020