Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

the expression changes on the guy behind him is excellent

:haw: :eek:

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did he get that far before realizing he was on the up escalator?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well he looks drunk af

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Goon gets car jacked.

"TAKE MY WOFE AND CHILDREN TOO SO YOU'LL BE LESS LIKELY TO GET SHOT BY THE POLICE."

Such moral folk post here.

To be fair a lot of goons problem resolution skills enter undefined territory in the absence of a report button

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speaking of driving hazards, I really wonder what the fix was for "this model of car seems to inexplicably attract spiders"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

To be fair a lot of goons problem resolution skills enter undefined territory in the absence of a report button

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Passed a semi on I-70 yesterday with a 7 - RADIATION sign, but otherwise a generic enough trailer with whatever company SPECIALTY HAULERS logo. He was going 65 in a 70 zone and everyone was rocketing past anyways. Godspeed radioactive trailer. :salute:

(I'm assuming it would have to be something not that serious, since its just a semi trailer. Medical sources?)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lobsterboy posted:

Passed a semi on I-70 yesterday with a 7 - RADIATION sign, but otherwise a generic enough trailer with whatever company SPECIALTY HAULERS logo. He was going 65 in a 70 zone and everyone was rocketing past anyways. Godspeed radioactive trailer. :salute:

(I'm assuming it would have to be something not that serious, since its just a semi trailer. Medical sources?)

Yeah, probably medical or industrial sources. Come to think of it I used to drive Ir-192 and Co-60 sources around everywhere but I never paid attention to the signage on our truck. I know we had it (we had to have) but I don't recall what the radiation hazard number was to compare.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

B33rChiller posted:

In my experience, anybody using the term "safety nazi" is not anyone whose opinions should be listened to. They have all fallen in to the "we work hard and play hard. Git 'er done. What are you, some sorta pussy?" class of idiots, which were extremely where I grew up.

Yeah, here's how I'm imagining the actual conversation went:

Safety: Okay, let's run through the standard list so I can sign off on this.
Shitbird: fuk u
Safety: Okay, it's going to be one of those, eh?
Shitbird: *makes jacking off motion with his hands*
Safety: Can you prove to me mathematically that there won't be any vacuum voids when this refills? I must make you prove this mathematically before I can sign off. See, it's on the checklist so my hands are tied.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

LifeSunDeath posted:

that escalated quickly

:haw:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, here's how I'm imagining the actual conversation went:

Safety: Okay, let's run through the standard list so I can sign off on this.
Shitbird: fuk u
Safety: Okay, it's going to be one of those, eh?
Shitbird: *makes jacking off motion with his hands*
Safety: Can you prove to me mathematically that there won't be any vacuum voids when this refills? I must make you prove this mathematically before I can sign off. See, it's on the checklist so my hands are tied.

Shitbird: gently caress off with your clipboard you paper pushing pancy *slaps the checklist from Safety's hands* *High Fives his "da crew"*

...fucks up the work, is fired for physical assault, complains in Facebook how demonrats are loving killing US of A.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Speaking of driving hazards, I really wonder what the fix was for "this model of car seems to inexplicably attract spiders"

It happens on more than Mazdas, it just depends on how open to access and prone to clogging the evaporative system is. Same thing happens on certain models of older Volvos, but the only problem it causes on those cars is it makes gas pumps shut off prematurely, sometimes only running for 1-2 seconds at a time. Total pain in the rear end.

The fix is to design the parts in ways that spiders either can't smell the gas, can't get in, or can't clog it.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

that escalated quickly

Well, you see that's where you're wrong. That was the problem in the first place.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Knock knock!
Who's there?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jöbanan indeed.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Ive only seen this movie in black and white. Scared the poo poo outta me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RYNThid23g

gently caress ITS COMIN RIGHT FOR US!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Zv16Lc7.mp4

This might be GTA5, it’s hard to tell these days.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Zv16Lc7.mp4

This might be GTA5, it’s hard to tell these days.

It's GTA reposted five days ago

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Probably old but these things are cool and good. I think I mentioned before that the Stihl Timbersports guys refused to wear them because they'd ruin their expensive custom chainsaw rigs.

https://i.imgur.com/x5WI0Cr.gifv

My father nearly severed his leg with a chainsaw. He was trying to cut down a tree that had fallen years before during a hurricane and hit a patch that had rotted. He hobbled into the house, applied a tourniquet, and managed to call one of the few people he still had some form of contact with. My mother and I were away visiting family, and we very well could have come back to a decaying corpse in the bathtub.

It was a miracle but he didn't lose the leg, nor use of it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

grillster posted:

It's GTA reposted five days ago

Oops, my bad.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Here's the full video, I don't think it was posted before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfK1tea3zo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's a lot clearer with that video.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Install huntsman spider in vehicle, return to customer.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Oddhair posted:

Thanks for this, I just got a Growlerwerks growler that takes little CO2 cartridges and was wondering what that would be like, and now I don't need to find out. I do need to get some whip its for trying a nitro beer with it, though.

Uh, you know N2 /= N2O right?

Though apparently N2O is much more soluble in water, about the same as CO2, so it has the makings of an interesting experiment anyway.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Here's the full video, I don't think it was posted before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfK1tea3zo

:stare: um how about you go sit down Tom, maybe have a nice cup of tea.

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

What caused this is more osha than expected.
It turns out that if you park a train with it's dead mans switch depressed, it will just go if someone closes the doors. Cue the poor cleaning woman doing so as part of her cleaning routine, causing the (otherwise empty) train to depart on it's own. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Saltsj%C3%B6banan_train_crash

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

The report states that the "dead man's switch" had been secured in its depressed position with a foreign object, leaving the train stationary with brakes released and the power control lever in full forward power

I don't care about the Dead Man's Switch and Foreign Object relationship problems! this situation should have been avoided.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Platystemon posted:

Now for a good occupational safety yarn:

I guarantee the man who wrote that refers to small measurements in terms of female public hair.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

MatteusTheCorrupt posted:

What caused this is more osha than expected.
It turns out that if you park a train with it's dead mans switch depressed, it will just go if someone closes the doors. Cue the poor cleaning woman doing so as part of her cleaning routine, causing the (otherwise empty) train to depart on it's own. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Saltsj%C3%B6banan_train_crash

The report sounds as if someone had deliberately set the cleaning lady up for this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zopotantor posted:

The report sounds as if someone had deliberately set the cleaning lady up for this.

goon_train_derailment.txt goes here

Content:

"yeah that old tractor has a specific procedure for shutting the engine down"

https://i.imgur.com/TLWTYUq.mp4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zopotantor posted:

They even initially accused her of stealing the train.

The reality is of course something very familiar to this thread. Wiki actually skips over a lot Thankfully for those who don't speak Swedish, the official report has an English summary where we find this:

quote:

It had been snowing during the day, and the temperature was a few degrees below freezing point. The shunter decided that the vehicles couldn't be left with the brakes applied, as there was a risk of the blocks freezing to the wheels during the standstill. In order to avoid such trouble, a special piece of equipment is installed on all parking tracks at Neglinge. Using a 24 V AC feed through a cable from outside and a special procedure in the driver's cab, the brakes can be released without having to activate the driver's controls. However, this equipment was not in working order at track 3 and had actually been nonfunctional for several weeks. That being the fact, the shunter decided to use an unauthorized procedure to keep the brakes released. For that purpose he proceeded to activate the driver's controls in the cab facing Saltsjöbaden, engaged the driver's safety device ("dead man's switch") using a loose brake block and closed the doors, to enable brake release. The doors were then released for individual control, to prevent engagement of tractive power. At some point during the procedure, the train control lever was placed in the "Full power" position.
Beyond that,

quote:

b) one switch in the route that the runaway used leaving Neglinge, was intended to be used as trap points to protect the line towards Saltsjöbaden from irregular movements in the shunting yard at Neglinge. This switch was not changed to the protective position, however, as the operator had concluded that there was no rule that clearly stated which position the switch should be in when not used. The switch was left in the position for the route of the last incoming train, to facilitate the departure of the first train the next morning, i.e. to minimize risk of snow/ice blocking the switch in the "wrong" position. It was found during the investigation, that the railway undertaking and the infrastructure manager had different views on the handling of switches serving as trap points, but the infrastructure manager had not noted this discrepancy
So tl;dr, multiple safety systems in the train were bypassed and procedures "unofficially modified" in pursuit of preventing weather-related delays. Those actions probably had "worked as intended" on previous occasions, but this time the control lever got moved somehow and that left the train as effectively a trap waiting to spring on that unsuspecting cleaning lady when she operated the doors after completing her sweeping.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/zainabhijazi97/status/1290669240173965313?s=20

https://twitter.com/tayyaraoun1/status/1290669542910369796?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 4, 2020

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
What the gently caress is going on there?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mds2 posted:

What the gently caress is going on there?

Claims that its a fireworks storage? But there's now way unless they manufacture fireworks there, because that's a massive explosion.

Good video prior to and during the main explosion: https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1290673773310627848?s=20

Something was burning prior, but you can see the main explosion is the Silos.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 4, 2020

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

CommieGIR posted:

Claims that its a fireworks storage? But there's now way unless they manufacture fireworks there, because that's a massive explosion.

They were just storing one big firework.

Edit: those videos are legit terrifying. The first one my brain couldn't handle so it told me it was CG. Obviously not.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It was apparently a ship in the harbor. Given the red smoke and the size of the explosion I'm gonna guess fertilizer explosives.

Edit: "fireworks" (munitions)

https://twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts/status/1290674216623366144?s=20

bij fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 4, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Good video prior to and during the main explosion: https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1290673773310627848?s=20

Something was burning prior, but you can see the main explosion is the Silos.

that building is goneee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nevermind the building, all the souls in it. An awful lot of people just died.