Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

Vader spends the first movie bickering with and choking various Imperial people officers then tries to recruit Luke for a coup in the second movie. He obviously has his own ideas on how to run things, it’s a major point across the original trilogy.

The way I've always seen that is that Vader has contempt for the military apparatus of the Empire, because he sees himself as above them. He reports directly to the Emperor. He is second in command only to the Emperor. In ANH, he has to report, temporarily, to Tarkin, because Tarkin's in charge of the Death Star project, and he's pissed about it. He only actually chokes one Imperial in ANH, when he insults Vader's religion, and Tarkin tells him to knock it the gently caress off. Which Vader then does, like he's just loving bored with everything going on here, like he's above it. So Tarkin can tell him what to do, but Vader doesn't get in trouble or anything. So Vader clearly has seniority, but not on this project. He's more of a believer in the Force and that aspect of the Emperor than the military and the Empire itself.

Then, at some point in between ANH and ESB, he finds out he has a son. Likely because he finds out that the person who blew up the first Death Star was named Skywalker (this is the interpretation of the current EU, but it's not hard to reach that conclusion on your own), but however he finds out, Vader now knows he has a son. Suddenly he is using the full might and force of the Empire's military to "find the Rebels" (re: find Skywalker). He'll stop at nothing. Suddenly he's killing Imperial officers left and right if they seem like they're not helping him reach that goal. He'll take the fleet into a god drat asteroid field to find Luke's friends if they might lead him to Luke. He does not give a poo poo anymore. The Emperor lied to him, he has a son, and he needs to find him. I love the scene with the Emperor in ESB in this light, because it reads as Palpatine saying, "Vader, what are you doing? Anyway, we need to find someone. He is the son of Anakin Skywalker." And Vader is all, "Whaaaaa? That's crazy. I mean, if you say so. Say...do you think we could turn him?" While mentally going, "poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo". Then he's back to the search for Luke. When he finally finds Luke in Cloud City, he makes his pitch for Luke to join him. Not to be champions of the true Rebellion or anything. But to take down the Emperor, who betrayed him, and rule the galaxy in his place, as father and son. It was always personal to him, with ruling the galaxy as a dictatorship, like he wanted to as a teenager talking to Padme, in the back of his mind.

When we see him in Return of the Jedi, he's defeated. He had a chance to win over Luke, and he lost. Luke is the Emperor's prey now, and he's sure Luke will lose to the Emperor just as he did. It's only when he sees that Luke stood up to the Emperor, in a mirror of the Dooku scene from the beginning of ROTS, stayed strong, chose likely death over the Dark Side, and is now reaching out to Vader, his only family, that Vader realizes that he hosed everything up. That the Dark Side wasn't the answer, that he could just chuck this old dude down a pit. So he does, and sacrifices himself for his son. Because it's personal.

Anyway, I forgot what my point was, but watching Vader through the OT rules.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well thanks to SMG now I want to watch all the drat movies again from the beginning to try to see that Vader-Jesus against facism

It’s equally important to note what the good-guy rebels are up to. Like when Luke offers Jabba money and promises to leave him alone at the start of Episode 6 - or when Obiwan convinces Luke to adopt “a certain point of view” to rationalize all kinds of bullshit, etc. They’re not evil, but there’s a lot of hints about what kind of society the Rebels will end up creating.

Another aspect of Vader-as-Christ is that Anakin is the incarnation of the wrathful Old Testament God, who’s all jealous and petulant. It’s easy to dunk on Anakin for being a violent loser, but he’s not precisely the villain either.

The Kingfish posted:

In the first thirty minutes of ANH we see Vader preparing to inflict medical torture on a woman. A little later he stands by silently while Tarkin blows up a planet.

Vader changes drastically after Episode 4.

Episode 5 Vader would not defer to Tarkin, or rely on a targeting computer instead of the Force. Leia is correct to note that Vader is ‘on a leash’ in Episode 4.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 4, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vader's role in the Empire makes sense considering one of his many, many pop culture imitations; the Legate Lanius in Fallout: New Vegas is the post-apocalyptic faux-Romans' chief enforcer, a towering, imposing figure always clad in full body armour and a mask, as much a myth as a man. The Emperor Caesar outright says that Lanius has no love for the Legion, and he considers that one of his most useful attributes, since Lanius won't tolerate the slightest failure or hold back on sending Legionaries to their deaths to achieve his aims.

The Sith thrive on hate, and when the Jedi are believed extinct and the rebels are a scattered few, they're low on enemies to hate, so in Palpatine's wicked cunning he creates a right-hand-monster who hates the Empire, hates reminders of the Republic, hates his boss, and almost certainly hates himself. The idea that his children actually survived is the one bright point in Darth Vader's life he's had for decades, and naturally something the Emperor tries to weaponise ASAP.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Kingfish posted:

In the first thirty minutes of ANH we see Vader preparing to inflict medical torture on a woman. A little later he stands by silently while Tarkin blows up a planet.

Even by the end of Empire he's torturing Han to place a force phone call with Luke; I don't mean that watching the OT without preconceptions will make Vader into a person who does good things, but it makes him into a person with complex motivations that change over time, rather than "avatar of Imperial force".

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

josh04 posted:

Even by the end of Empire he's torturing Han to place a force phone call with Luke; I don't mean that watching the OT without preconceptions will make Vader into a person who does good things, but it makes him into a person with complex motivations that change over time, rather than "avatar of Imperial force".

I think one of my favorite ways the PT enriches the OT is how the murder of his mom sends psychic shock waves out across space to Anakin, and in ESB he’s so morally compromised that he uses that same technique to torture his son.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The torture thing in ESB is really tricksy because the Jedi are like “torture is a part of life and we must accept it in order to find true harmony and balance, etc.”, while Vader’s message is that torture is inexcusable. By getting Luke to ditch Yoda, Vader’s proved that he and Luke fundamentally agree (which is why Luke then freaks out and attempts suicide).

Episode 2 then adds the fact that Vader is putting himself in the role of the intolerable “sandperson” - so imagine an alternate version of Episode 2 where, instead of slaughtering the Tusken, Anakin convinces the Jedi to quit the Republic and join the Raiders in their battle against colonialism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

The thing is his status as 'avatar of Imperial force' is forced upon him (no pun intended) and no doubt reinforced by his exoskeleton. It's certainly what he's billed as. His self-hatred just makes him more of a weapon.

It also makes his appearance in Rogue One work well, since he considers Krennic to be amusingly pathetic rather than just another incompetent underling, enough to make a dad joke at him. There's no point in killing this guy when he's guaranteed to get himself a much more poetic death. (Which of course, he does)

That also reminds me that Phineas and Ferb: Star Wars is great and everyone itt should watch it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode 2 then adds the fact that Vader is putting himself in the role of the intolerable “sandperson” - so imagine an alternate version of Episode 2 where, instead of slaughtering the Tusken, Anakin convinces the Jedi to quit the Republic and join the Raiders in their battle against colonialism.

isn't that basically Dune

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The torture thing in ESB is really tricksy because the Jedi are like “torture is a part of life and we must accept it in order to find true harmony and balance, etc.”, while Vader’s message is that torture is inexcusable. By getting Luke to ditch Yoda, Vader’s proved that he and Luke fundamentally agree (which is why Luke then freaks out and attempts suicide).

Star Wars is missing a scene where the Rebel alliance torture someone for information.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is his status as 'avatar of Imperial force' is forced upon him (no pun intended) and no doubt reinforced by his exoskeleton. It's certainly what he's billed as. His self-hatred just makes him more of a weapon.

I just mean the simplified version of Vader from the popular consciousness, who isn't generally portrayed as subordinate to Tarkin in New Hope or tearing up the Imperial rulebook in Empire.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

It’s should be noted that Vader’s disdain for and undermining of the Empire’s military bureaucracy is entirely in line with a Vader-as-Schutzstaffel interpretation of the films. Vader and Palpatine embody the only two essential roles of a totalitarian authority—the leader and the secret police.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

Star Wars is missing a scene where the Rebel alliance torture someone for information.

Rogue One has this! Kinda.

The Kingfish posted:

It’s should be noted that Vader’s disdain for and undermining of the Empire’s military bureaucracy is entirely in line with a Vader-as-Schutzstaffel interpretation of the films. Vader and Palpatine embody the only two essential roles of a totalitarian authority—the leader and the secret police.

The infighting between branches of authority is also 100% in line with authoritarian and especially fascist governments.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

isn't that basically Dune

I’m not familiar with Dune, so I can’t say. But it is a very obvious distinction between Anakin and Vader.

Anakin feels awful after killing the Tusken, even though they tortured his mom to death. Padme’s not wrong: that his wrathful vengeance is totally understandable. She can rationalize it: to be angry is to be human. Even if God is cruel and vengeful, turning people into pillars of salt and killing all the first-born of Egypt, etc. - well, God Himself is ‘only human.’

(If you want to understand why Palpatine is going through all these years of effort, it’s because he’s directly rebelling against this flawed and all-too-human God. Paradise Lost.)

Anyways, what Vader proposes is an entirely different political configuration: an impossible scenario where Anakin, Shmii, and the Tusken unite against the system that would force them into pointless, destructive conflict.

And the Jedi oppose that political message on the basis that it would betray the Republic:

Obiwan: Patience.
Luke: And sacrifice Han and Leia?
Yoda: If you honor what they fight for? Yes.

Why honor the Republic and the Jedi Order if the message is “Anakin should have just let his mom die”? That’s not a real solution! That’s Yoda doing his best to avoid the issue, because he has no solution. He’s directly stating that this is just the way things are, and it’s evil to try and change it. The tree of liberty is refreshed, from time to time, with blood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I’m not familiar with Dune

what the loving fucker gently caress

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

BiggestBatman posted:

My man, Vader didn't go through a wardrobe and pick that poo poo out. The Emperor chose what he'd look like after his surgery. All you're providing for in this is more evidence of what the Emperor wants Vader to be, not what Vader himself desires

I stay away from that kind of logic since OT came first. Or simply realize that he could have changed his wardrobe at any time but likes looking like and acting like a nazi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's hard to say either way without any further context. Vader would have to go out of his way to requisition any changes to his outfit, I imagine, given it's entirely custom.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i don't think vader can just change up his iron lung

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If we're going full tactical realism then it makes no sense, if Vader is able to change his appearance at will, that we never see him in so much as a ceremonial cape.

lando-cape-closet.gif

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I stay away from that kind of logic since OT came first. Or simply realize that he could have changed his wardrobe at any time but likes looking like and acting like a nazi.

Then you are lost

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His wardrobe does change tho in the OT. In all three of the movies

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

George had the conception of Obi Wan abandoning Anakin in lava when writing the OP, it’s even in the novelization based on an earlier script. It stands to reason that Palpatine would be his rescuer, even if that detail isn’t mentioned explicitly.

The OT makes pretty clear that Vader has given up a lot of his self worth to Palpatine so I’m not sure defiantly remodeling his outfit is going to be high on the list of things he feels like he can do.

Lucas has been saying since the 70s that the Empire is the not-too-distant-future of the US rather than Nazis (to the extent that turned out to be different), and and Vader is a samurai

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

josh04 posted:

If we're going full tactical realism then it makes no sense, if Vader is able to change his appearance at will, that we never see him in so much as a ceremonial cape.

lando-cape-closet.gif

Scary-but-actually-pretty-impractical-when-you-think-about-it is kind of the Empire's thing.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
He's got a little pod on his ship where he can take his helmet off - I don't see why he couldn't swap parts out while he was in there. Or at least switch out the colors if he gets sick of black all the time. Although I guess it does go with everything...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

does vader just poo poo/piss in his suit????

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He uses force transports it into space.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

josh04 posted:

He uses force transports it into space.

it was weird when Lucas got on twitter and said that early jedi didn't have bathrooms, they just used the force to disappear their poo poo

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Angry Salami posted:

He's got a little pod on his ship where he can take his helmet off - I don't see why he couldn't swap parts out while he was in there. Or at least switch out the colors if he gets sick of black all the time. Although I guess it does go with everything...
If the current EU writers had any imagination, they would write a story about this. Maybe several different changes ranging from color, shape of mask or helmet, etc. Each change ending with Palpatine brutally shaming him and Vader slinking back to the previous look.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

punishedkissinger posted:

it was weird when Lucas got on twitter and said that early jedi didn't have bathrooms, they just used the force to disappear their poo poo

The Jedi had five temples on Coruscant and only one for both Tatoonine and Jakku, makes you think.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the name of the jedi temple on tattooine just translates to 'force place' in tattooese

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

I'm reminded that an AU in the Marvel comics (I think where Luke dies and Leia ends up becoming a Jedi) has Vader survive and switch sides, with a new white suit.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Nothing to add on vader chat but it's been a good read. Too bad that SMG doesn't know dune tho. I'm reading the Secret History which has this a hodgepodge of George notes from 73, equal parts illuminating and amusing:

e: "Valorum" is a proto-Vader at this point, Starkiller is proto-Luke, and Skywalker is proto-Obi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dune is a really fun read since it was originally a rebuttal to the trends of sci-fi at the time, including pulp but in particular Asimov's Foundation books, and honestly still pretty much works as well with later sci-fi that were influenced by/heavily ripped it off without bothering to understand the nuances. A big part of that is taking apart the Great Man/superhero myth, pointing out how it's basically indistinguishable from a dictator.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I would be very keen to read SMG's thoughts on Dune. SMG, I hope you can read Dune and then watch Dune and participate in the Dune thread, someday.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Also watch Jodorowsky's Dune, to complete the set.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

does vaders suit jack him off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He doesn’t have it anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, why do you think he's so angry all the time?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Working on my alternate universe fanfiction where vader ended up face up rather than face down on the lava and therefore still had him benis

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

No Mods No Masters posted:

Working on my alternate universe fanfiction where vader ended up face up rather than face down on the lava and therefore still had him benis

Nah, then it just goes up like a candle

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If he was face toward the lava then his face would be burned off and he'd be basically a brain in a jar, but with all the downstairs equipment intact. Which would be a considerable improvement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Mods No Masters posted:

VADER (A WHISPER): Luke, help me take this codpiece off.

LUKE: But you'll die.

VADER: Nothing can stop that now.