Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therobit posted:

Since you will hopefully have some iron pans, a bunch of thin cheap spatulas because they work the best!

This is a good one, they're called fish spatulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Huh, yeah that would work. I usually just buy the thinnest metal spatula at like Big Lots or Dollar Tree or Grocery Outlet. The cheapest, crappiest ones all seem to be thinner and more flexible, making them work better. They aren't pretty to look at but neither am I.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therobit posted:

Huh, yeah that would work. I usually just buy the thinnest metal spatula at like Big Lots or Dollar Tree or Grocery Outlet. The cheapest, crappiest ones all seem to be thinner and more flexible, making them work better. They aren't pretty to look at but neither am I.

If you haven't tried using an actual fish spatula it's one of those experiences where the tool perfectly is suited for what you're trying to do (manipulate food of any kind on metal-safe surfaces).

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
A sub to one or all of Cooks Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen/Cooks country. Good to great recipes of just about anything along with good tips for techniques and also generally good solid equipment reviews.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Murgos posted:

A sub to one or all of Cooks Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen/Cooks country. Good to great recipes of just about anything along with good tips for techniques and also generally good solid equipment reviews.

Secondnded. Also as an aside listen to the Amreica's Test Kitchen radio show and also The Splendid Table. They are great.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I've adopted a neglected cast iron pan. There's some light rust in a couple spots and some burnt on grease (not serious, I can scrape it off with a fingernail). What's the best way to rehabilitate it? I was thinking of scouring it with steel wool, but not sure if that's too rough.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser for my cast iron. Just kidding, steel wool is exactly what you want. You can use soap too since you'll be seasoning it after.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've adopted a neglected cast iron pan. There's some light rust in a couple spots and some burnt on grease (not serious, I can scrape it off with a fingernail). What's the best way to rehabilitate it? I was thinking of scouring it with steel wool, but not sure if that's too rough.

This serious eats page has a great guide on seasoning your pan.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks thread! One man’s dusty mouse poo covered junk is another’s man’s treasure.

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks thread! One man’s dusty mouse poo covered junk is another’s man’s treasure.

i believe the term you're looking for is garage caviar.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

xtal posted:

I use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser for my cast iron. Just kidding, steel wool is exactly what you want. You can use soap too since you'll be seasoning it after.

You say ‘use soap’ like that’s going to hurt the seasoning. I have several cast iron pots and pans and I assure you dish soap after every use will not affect your seasoning at all.

E: I mean mild dish soap that’s safe for your hands. Dawn or equivalent. I would stay away from anything abrasive like comet or etc...

Murgos fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 2, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Murgos posted:

You say ‘use soap’ like that’s going to hurt the seasoning. I have several cast iron pots and pans and I assure you dish soap after every use will not affect your seasoning at all.

Yeah, if I cook a stinky food in my cast iron, I use a little soap. Mostly a scraper and a bamboo brush, but never fear a little soap.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Jesus, you guys act like you can't put your cast iron in a dishwasher. As long as you use Jet-Dry it's fine. DUH.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just don't use lye soap and you are good.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

VelociBacon posted:

This serious eats page has a great guide on seasoning your pan.

That guide is bad, the correct oil for seasoning cast iron is flax seed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I season my skillets with fat from virgin koala bears.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

wormil posted:

I season my skillets with fat from virgin koala bears.

Is it virgin ones because the rest of them all have chlamydia?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Lazyhound posted:

That guide is bad, the correct oil for seasoning cast iron is flax seed.

flax sucks and flakes off eventually

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

VelociBacon posted:

This is a good one, they're called fish spatulas.

or "slotted turner." they both kind of sound like prog-rock groups.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
KD-8000 scale goons: this scale looks perfect but I really don't want to spend another $100.00 on a 5kg calibration weight. How likely am I to regret not ordering the weight and is there a cheaper alternative to a scientific weight?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You dont need to calibrate it ootb

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

night danger posted:

KD-8000 scale goons: this scale looks perfect but I really don't want to spend another $100.00 on a 5kg calibration weight. How likely am I to regret not ordering the weight and is there a cheaper alternative to a scientific weight?

There's a lot of cheap calibration weights on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...eights&_sacat=0

This set looks like it has a 5kg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohaus-10-P...mIAAOSw2xRYjMK2

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You dont need to calibrate it ootb

also couldn't you just check and see if it's off with like, x number of milliliters of water? since they only measure to the whole gram anyway

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We have an anodized aluminum skillet (Calphalon) that is about 3 years old. I think at some point it got burnt or something, cause there's a spot in the middle that is slightly discolored and stuff always sticks around there! It's not like there is caked on carbon, it looks more like a discoloration that is smooth to the touch (when clean), like something chemical happened to the surface.

Has anyone seen this before / know what to do? Or is the pan hosed?

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
The answer is always bar keepers friend

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

We have an anodized aluminum skillet (Calphalon) that is about 3 years old. I think at some point it got burnt or something, cause there's a spot in the middle that is slightly discolored and stuff always sticks around there! It's not like there is caked on carbon, it looks more like a discoloration that is smooth to the touch (when clean), like something chemical happened to the surface.

Has anyone seen this before / know what to do? Or is the pan hosed?

Anodize is usually a very thin layer, less than 0.001 inch, and could have been damaged by overheating for too long. Barkeeper’s friend I would be wary of, as it might be abrasive enough to just destroy the anodize wherever it abrades.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah Barkeeper's Friend is very acidic which is why it works so well on stainless, and has abrasive to remove stains, but I don't think you are supposed to use it in aluminum, even if anodized.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Their own website says:

quote:

Some ingredients in our powdered Cleanser may etch or dull delicate surfaces. Before cleaning fiberglass, plastics, anodized aluminum, or brushed metal surfaces – including appliance exteriors – test first on a small, inconspicuous area.

which sounds an awful lot like "use it on anodized aluminum at your own risk." But if it's a last-ditch effort before you give up and recycle something, why not?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eke out posted:

also couldn't you just check and see if it's off with like, x number of milliliters of water? since they only measure to the whole gram anyway

if you have a calibrated way to measure the water volume, yeah

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I know about oven techniques and what not for warming plates. But if I wanted a dedicated plate warmer, like appliance, or something, what are my options?

Coincidentally what plates hold heat the best? I'd assume porcelain, and likely not bone China?

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 6, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I love my new Joule, but it's evident I need a vacuum sealer. What's the best?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Skyarb posted:

I know about oven techniques and what not for warming plates. But if I wanted a dedicated plate warmer, like appliance, or something, what are my options?

i searched amazon bc i wasn’t sure if this was smtg that exists and sure enough you can get a $75 specialized electric blanket to warm plates to 150f and you even have options for how many plates they warm at once

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I love my new Joule, but it's evident I need a vacuum sealer. What's the best?

This discussion is ongoing in the sous vide thread, as it happens.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Thermoworks is having a sitewide 15% off sale, in case anybody's been waiting for a sale to pick up a Mk 4 or whatever.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SubG posted:

Thermoworks is having a sitewide 15% off sale, in case anybody's been waiting for a sale to pick up a Mk 4 or whatever.

gently caress I bought one full price like 3 weeks ago

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

E-mail them and see if they'll honor the sale price and refund you the difference. The worst they can do is say no.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

buy another one on sale and return it under the first order :v:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Recommendations for a small (like for two people) tabletop hotpot/火锅/huo guo/shabu-shabu/nabemono/jeongol/whatever pot?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I used to work kitchens when I was younger. I remember when I would do dishes most kitchen would have these super high pressure sprayers in the sink. I'm guessing you can't get pressure high enough in a house to really get one for the home could you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Skyarb posted:

I used to work kitchens when I was younger. I remember when I would do dishes most kitchen would have these super high pressure sprayers in the sink. I'm guessing you can't get pressure high enough in a house to really get one for the home could you?

My cousin was a chef and had his kitchen remodeled and he has one.