Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

flickmaker posted:

The 2020 Warbird has a GRX 600 model. That’s Shimanos gravel groupset equal to 105.

EDIT: Also, take a look at the All City Cosmic Stallion.

2020 warbird seemed overpriced for what you get. All city is the bike brand I want to love but am always disappointed by after I ride their bikes.

Will check out Vaast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Heliosicle posted:

My Tickr heart rate chest strap is starting to act up, even after changing the batteries it's reporting the same heart rate for 4 or 5 minutes sometimes and never a rate below 120 bpm.

I'm looking at getting a Tickr fit to replace it, but seems like it could be awkward to wear with long sleeve jerseys. I know lots of people here have them and seem to like them, so maybe that's not such an issue?

The other complaint I read was about non-regulation tan lines :v:

I use a Rhythm+ which is similar. I wear it high up above the bicep (which is allowed for the Rhythm at least). I have always ridden with sunsleeves and have no issues.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Kona rove LTD?

https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

The Carbon libre and next year's aluminum libre are also sort of/almost available.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

nm posted:

I use a Rhythm+ which is similar. I wear it high up above the bicep (which is allowed for the Rhythm at least). I have always ridden with sunsleeves and have no issues.

I've been wearing my tickr fit on my upper bicep on mtb rides where elbow pads would get in the way of the normal positioning; no issues thus far this summer

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
optical arm band HRMs own, I'll never use a chest strap again

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The worst thing is when I take off arm warmers and don't notice that the TICKR FIT slides off with it. Luckily it doesn't ever fall to the ground and stays inside the arm warmer...I just get random HR reporting in the low 100s for that duration.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

I just get random HR reporting in the low 100s for that duration.

How is that any different than a normal ride?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

How is that any different than a normal ride?

Tru.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mexecan posted:

Biking update: got stung/bit by a bee/wasp riiiight at that sensitive piece of skin at the base of my nostril.

Don’t let this happen to you.

I physically recoiled reading this.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Here's an older model Orbea Terra m30 with 2x, though I've got to admit the site feels sketchy to me: https://www.bikebling.com/Orbea-TERRA-M30-D-Bike-p/orbea19-terra-m30-d.htm?Click=120514&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine

If you decide to open up to 1x, there's similarly priced 2020 models on a swiss site as well.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Coredump posted:

I physically recoiled reading this.

My strategy when this happened to me last time and the bee went down my jersey was to unzip it while at the bottom of a descent and then go over the handlebars, clipped in. Made the bee sting a negligible event.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Bike bling does not seem to be a legitimate site.

I am currently in contact with Obed on lead time for a Boundary 105 or Ultegra. Formerly known as Ocoee. Think this might be the one!

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Benson Cunningham posted:

Bike bling does not seem to be a legitimate site.

I am currently in contact with Obed on lead time for a Boundary 105 or Ultegra. Formerly known as Ocoee. Think this might be the one!

Fwiw bike bling is real. The Boundary should be a good bike though.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Alright. Been looking at a lot of bikes. Everything I really liked had a flaw...

Grail CF SL 7.0 - $2,500k, out of stock
Haanjo 7c Carbon - $2,800, out of stock
2019 Salsa Warbird - $2,600, out of stock (called)
Terra C Ultegra - $2,800, out of stock

Any thoughts for something similar that might actually be in stock ? Looking for something I can ride fast on lovely roads and trails and 1-2 times a year take on a multi day, light touring trip. The 2019 Warbird was really promising, but no one has those in stock anymore and the 2020 version doesn't have 105s (2x-11)

Check out the Lauf bikes - they do direct sales and have some stock of stuff in that price range.

https://www.laufcycling.com/

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I think the limitation is that he wants 2x

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Development posted:

I think the limitation is that he wants 2x

Yeah I am coming from a mostly road, sometimes trail perspective. But I also want to be able to crash through potholes and cobblestone streets without messing up my rims, which I have done a few times now on my 28cm roadbike.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

It is done. Now the waiting begins.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

ElMaligno posted:

My dude, teach me your ways as i wanna teach mine how to ride with bikes.

First, I taught her to stay to my right when we walk.
Then I taught her to walk with a slack leash (when she walked too far ahead of my stride, I'd pull her back. When she walked beside me, I gave her treats).
Then I introduced "hurry up" while picking up my pace, and "slow down" when slowing down.

Then I tried jogging with her. I still need to get her to figure out "turn left, turn right".

That said, I think the most important bit is having the dog know not to walk in front of you, I'd hate to run her rear end over. My wife would be pretty pissed.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Interested in why the Ultegra RX over GRX? Is your road/gravel ratio more skewed toward road?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

That should be a fun ride. I have a Giant with a full Ultegra build with a Praxis crank, the Ultegra works great on the dert.

I know you mentioned that you are from a road background, but you may want to try the 810 build if you still have time to swap. The 810 levers are a bit different than the Ultegras, but with the 810 build you avoid that dog food quality FSA Gossamer crankset. The cockpit, wheels and seating all look like they are identical.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Interested in why the Ultegra RX over GRX? Is your road/gravel ratio more skewed toward road?

Yeah, I think earlier I said about 70% road, 10% touring, 20% trail.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

That should be a fun ride. I have a Giant with a full Ultegra build with a Praxis crank, the Ultegra works great on the dert.

I know you mentioned that you are from a road background, but you may want to try the 810 build if you still have time to swap. The 810 levers are a bit different than the Ultegras, but with the 810 build you avoid that dog food quality FSA Gossamer crankset. The cockpit, wheels and seating all look like they are identical.

For the price difference, it looks like I can just buy a replacement. I don't pretend to be an expert though and maybe ultimately the 810 build would have served me better. Pretty excited, regardless.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Huh, soo Motorcycle closeouts have bicycle stuff now. https://motorcyclecloseouts.com/bicycle/complete-bikes/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ooof I took my bike to the shop to have them diagnose the shifter and it's hosed, they want 100 bucks more just for the part than Amazon charges :argh: I don't really want to do the labor in this but ugh at that markup

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

BraveUlysses posted:

ooof I took my bike to the shop to have them diagnose the shifter and it's hosed, they want 100 bucks more just for the part than Amazon charges :argh: I don't really want to do the labor in this but ugh at that markup

Buy the part and bring it in?

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I have an extreme thirst to start biking more. I’m a big newbie and all I have right now is a little townie cruiser I’ve been riding around the neighborhood every day, but I want to do more and get out on the weekends. My fiancé and I would love to do some beginner mountain bike trails but he’s not going to be able to buy a bike any time soon even in normal, non-bike shortage times. I’m also really intrigued by gravel and trail biking.

The bike shop near me is unsurprisingly almost completely cleaned out but they have Surly Midnight Specials in for $1600 right now. I’ve done obsessive bike research over the past couple months but I still don’t really know what would be good for me. Should I just bite the bullet and get one of these? Or forgo my big beautiful bike dreams until post-covid when I can go nuts trying bikes out at the store?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

redcheval posted:

I have an extreme thirst to start biking more. I’m a big newbie and all I have right now is a little townie cruiser I’ve been riding around the neighborhood every day, but I want to do more and get out on the weekends. My fiancé and I would love to do some beginner mountain bike trails but he’s not going to be able to buy a bike any time soon even in normal, non-bike shortage times. I’m also really intrigued by gravel and trail biking.

The bike shop near me is unsurprisingly almost completely cleaned out but they have Surly Midnight Specials in for $1600 right now. I’ve done obsessive bike research over the past couple months but I still don’t really know what would be good for me. Should I just bite the bullet and get one of these? Or forgo my big beautiful bike dreams until post-covid when I can go nuts trying bikes out at the store?

If it fits you that's a fair price for a bike with a lot of uses.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

redcheval posted:

You can have a lot of fun on that bike doing road, gravel and mild trails, but it also is not going to be a super fun bike to get into actual mountain biking with.
That's a pretty good discount over retail - if it's in your size (Surlys fit weird) then it's a relatively low risk. Has the upside that Surlys somehow seem to hold their value relatively well. If it ends up not being the bike of your dreams or even just not the right bike for what you end up deciding is a fun style of riding, you won't take a bath on resale at that price.
Also... finding a bike in stock that fits you in 2020 is a miracle so I wouldn't overthink it if you can afford it.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks y'all! This is definitely along the lines of what I was thinking, and I figured it might be a safe bet to get more of an all-purpose bike that I know I can handle, and if I become totally addicted (likely) and want to ratchet up I will end up buying a mountain bike down the road anyway – fiance has some MTB experience growing up but I definitely don't and would probably want to try a rental first anyhow.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Go ahead and start saving for the MTB.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I think my experience is probably unique but i've been hosed over a few times by small bike shops doing work on my bike i've not asked for. I dunno what it is about the bike industry but the workshops seem to be chaotically managed with different staff all the time not keeping track of anything or just insanely grumpy and rude here in the UK. The work must really suck or something.

but anyway it's sadly lead me to trust the big chain shops more. i'd say don't feel bad and buy the part from amazon.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 4, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Is it a shimano shifter? you can sometimes revive them by drown the shifter in WD40 before relubing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suicide Watch posted:

Is it a shimano shifter? you can sometimes revive them by drown the shifter in WD40 before relubing

no they said it's actually hosed

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

no they said it's actually hosed

Oh yeah that looks proper hosed

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Congrats on your free 1x conversion

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm trying to find somewhere to buy a 1.85mm cassette spacer to run a 10-speed Shimano cassette on an 11-speed hub and uh... basically there are no outlets in the US that have them in stock. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isn't that the kind of part an lbs would have a lot of spares knocking around from wheel and hub changes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I might have one, I think I got one with my hunt wheels earlier this year

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I definitely have one somewhere in my basement. Can check for you tomorrow.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

First, I taught her to stay to my right when we walk.
Then I taught her to walk with a slack leash (when she walked too far ahead of my stride, I'd pull her back. When she walked beside me, I gave her treats).
Then I introduced "hurry up" while picking up my pace, and "slow down" when slowing down.

Then I tried jogging with her. I still need to get her to figure out "turn left, turn right".

That said, I think the most important bit is having the dog know not to walk in front of you, I'd hate to run her rear end over. My wife would be pretty pissed.

Thanks, she is well behaved on her leash but I got a Bicycle Dog Leash. She is a little afraid of bikes so i'm going to take it slow, with her with the eventual goal of taking short bike rides with her and the side goal of hauling her on a bike dog trailer when me and the wife go camping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So here's something kinda neat.

A local cyclist was planning to do some serious riding in July so his kids signed him up for a Strava distance challenge being put on by some company for kicks without him even knowing it.

He won the challenge, and also set the world record for longest distance cycled in a month.