Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Today I discovered that there's a guy making glass guitars and replacement glass necks: https://www.morningstarglassguitars.com/

Looks really neat but I wouldn't want to drop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What's the most shoegazey effect I could add in a spot, if I wanted to? Reverse reverb?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

Today I discovered that there's a guy making glass guitars and replacement glass necks: https://www.morningstarglassguitars.com/

Looks really neat but I wouldn't want to drop it.

i saw his youtube video for the first time yesterday, where he goes over how he makes the thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQxxpBDkoRQ

it weighs 12.9 lbs! that's about as much as a les paul right? like, a pretty heavy les paul?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

What's the most shoegazey effect I could add in a spot, if I wanted to? Reverse reverb?

do you already have delay?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

do you already have delay?

I have a Katana 50 I described on the previous page as being set up extremely basically, but I have room to put another delay and another reverb in without screwing with my colorblindness.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
how about a looper?

it sounds good to overdub multiple guitar parts. but if you put too much reverb and delay on them, then there's no room to add more parts. i'd rather record two simple guitar parts than 1 part with a ton of effects taking up all the sonic space

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Huxley posted:

Reverse reverb, since you already have fuzz.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Reverse reverb BEFORE the fuzz though.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i saw his youtube video for the first time yesterday, where he goes over how he makes the thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQxxpBDkoRQ

it weighs 12.9 lbs! that's about as much as a les paul right? like, a pretty heavy les paul?

I just looked at a picture to confirm it was actually a literally glass guitar and thought "yeah but that's gotta weigh a ton, no thanks."

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking more now, I think the Fender mustang LT25 would do the job fine for $150. It’s got enough preset sounds, the led display to tell me what I selected, and would be loud enough for my needs. If I really want I can always hook it up and edit my tones.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

excellent bird guy posted:

I've always wanted a Charvel Surfcaster. I consider Eastwood a piece of poo poo guitar company, but these original Charvels are legendary status. They are right about $1200-1500. Got to be the Seafoam Green and hollowbody version.

is Eastwood no good? i was a bit interested in their electric tenors

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I'd keep the Katana because one day you're bound to be cursed with pedal lust

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Buy a cool little super low watt lunchbox tube amp imo

I <3 my HT1R

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Huxley posted:

maybe not most people's first thought, but a compressor.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Gah! You guys have done it. I'm going to pick up a Katana 50 tomorrow to replace this old Line 6 Spider IV 15 I have for practice under my desk. I think it'll solve the problem of not having my pedal board on tap when I'm making stuff, since I can just dial effects on my PC. I'm thinking I could hook the REC output up to my DAW for loops and then it's instant practice without having to fire up the tube amp and board. I spend like 75% of my time playing on my practice amp and I just hate this spider thing so much.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

They're mostly good guys, or at least good teams within the company. Support a lot of young bands round here with long term loans and endorsements. The higher end lines are good quality beyond the usual concerns and certainly on par with the big companies. The lower end stuff usually needs a proper setup cause they sell from warehouse rather than stores.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Uhhhh I definitely don't need another guitar buuut

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_ms_60lh_vw_vintage_series.htm

I want to strip this, burn the wood a little and refinish it, swap out the trem for a hardtail, then put in single-sized hums like hot rails or something.

Why is it that I don't have anyone lefty in my life that I can build guitars for (and play then a little first)?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Baron von Eevl posted:

Uhhhh I definitely don't need another guitar buuut

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_ms_60lh_vw_vintage_series.htm

I want to strip this, burn the wood a little and refinish it, swap out the trem for a hardtail, then put in single-sized hums like hot rails or something.

Why is it that I don't have anyone lefty in my life that I can build guitars for (and play then a little first)?

If only I needed a strat, I would sign up for your raunchy southpaw bullshit.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I am being a snob. They are probably good if you set them up. I was interested in Mosrites, saw the Eastwoods, but went with Hallmark.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

reverb into distortion usually shoegazes me up just fine when mixed with liberal application of the trem arm. Or delay before distortion. Same smell.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

My Pacifica 112 has a pair of insanely noisy neck / middle pickup. They’re buzzing a lot and insulating the cavity doesn’t help. Humbucker works fine but it’s thucky sound is bad clean.

Thinking about getting a budget (eBay) pair of single - sized humbuckers. I’d swap the entire thing to HH but there’s seemingly no pickguards available without a long wait and shipping costs. So I’m looking into hot rails etc.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to look for? I’d usually be wanting a clean strat sound from the neck. Is that possible with a compatible pickup? I’m trying to keep the cost as low as possible because while it’s a very sentimental guitar I’d prefer to not sink cash into it. At the moment the neck and mid are unusable so even a cruddy eBay pickup would be an improvement as long as it doesn’t buzz like a tattoo gun

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

osker posted:

If only I needed a strat, I would sign up for your raunchy southpaw bullshit.

Honestly let me know if you want something, I'll do it for cost + shipping if you let me have some fun with it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

well why not posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to look for? I’d usually be wanting a clean strat sound from the neck. Is that possible with a compatible pickup? I’m trying to keep the cost as low as possible because while it’s a very sentimental guitar I’d prefer to not sink cash into it. At the moment the neck and mid are unusable so even a cruddy eBay pickup would be an improvement as long as it doesn’t buzz like a tattoo gun

Guitarfetish has noiseless single-coils that are decent quality for not too much. Check your rout/body depth though, noiseless single-coils are taller than traditional ones and it can cause fit issues if the body is thinner than a normal Strat's.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have a fender champion 30 DSP amp from like 2004. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to quiet it down - I basically need to keep the volume knob under 2 to have it a reasonable volume for the apartment. I know that a bunch of amps these days have low-power modes, and I'm wondering if it's possible to add that in (I'm hoping I could solder in a switch and a big resistor or something). I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but know nothing about circuit design or how guitar amplification works,hence this probably-stupid question.

If adding a low-power mode isn't possible but reducing the highest volume in favor of spreading out a smaller range over 1-10 is possible, that'd be ok too

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of shoegaze, I have a Devel Ever 'Shoegazer,' um. I wouldn't recommend it. Doesn't really play that well with other pedals.
I got an HM-2 for the shoegaze sound, because I heard that's what Ride uses.
Also fwiw I got that Squire J Mascis Jazz (when I was broke because it was cheap, b-stock), and the electonics are all screwed up, I'll try to rewire it someday. I learned I like jags way more.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

Thinking about getting a budget (eBay) pair of single - sized humbuckers. I’d swap the entire thing to HH but there’s seemingly no pickguards available without a long wait and shipping costs. So I’m looking into hot rails etc.

you can make your own pickguard fairly easily with a hobby knife or coping saw, a flat file, and some sandpaper. plus you already got a ready-made template with the old pickguard. blank material is pretty cheap, so you're not limited to just black or white either

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

User Error posted:

I <3 my HT1R

Same. I'd 100% recommend it instead of a modelling thing if you don't like loving around with apps etc. Can do real tube fender/vox/Marshall sounds convincingly with the infinite shape tonestack.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

excellent bird guy posted:

Speaking of shoegaze, I have a Devel Ever 'Shoegazer,' um. I wouldn't recommend it. Doesn't really play that well with other pedals.
I got an HM-2 for the shoegaze sound, because I heard that's what Ride uses.
Also fwiw I got that Squire J Mascis Jazz (when I was broke because it was cheap, b-stock), and the electonics are all screwed up, I'll try to rewire it someday. I learned I like jags way more.

Just listened to a demo, I really dislike spitty fuzz.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

field balm posted:

Same. I'd 100% recommend it instead of a modelling thing if you don't like loving around with apps etc. Can do real tube fender/vox/Marshall sounds convincingly with the infinite shape tonestack.

Oh I love loving around with apps etc but the HT1R is nice because I can't do that.. so I just have to figure out how to play instead.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of Pacifica 112s, I'm thinking of replacing the humbucker in mine with a Seymour Duncan 59 or JB.

How do y'all like those? Should I look at other ones? I tried the sample on their site and they seem to fit the bill.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The JB and the 59 are pretty different beasts. What sound are you going for?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of Pacifica 112s, I'm thinking of replacing the humbuckers* in mine with a Seymour Duncan 59 and* JB.

How do y'all like those? Should I look at other ones? I tried the sample on their site and they seem to fit the bill.

*edits are mine

This makes more sense, but yes this combination is super awesome.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I just got my Meris Polymoon in the mail and banged out a few chords while muted on a conference call, this sounds spectacular. I'm adding the Ottobit Jr. to my "to buy" list

Also, when the hell did Minifoogers get so expensive? I have the Delay and Drive, which I bought for $150 a few years ago, and now they're going for a lot more on Reverb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nwin posted:

So I’ve had the Boss Katana 50 for a few weeks and I think it’s overkill for my needs-looking for other suggestions.

-100% of the time I’ll only play in my room with low/ moderate volume. Otherwise it will be headphones, so I don’t think I need a 50w. With the Boss I routinely use .5w and maybe the 25w setting. I used the 50w once when everyone was out of the house and while it was a blast-it’s not what I need.

-I like effects, but this thing is almost too complicated for me. I don’t want to have to refer to a manual to see what happens if one light is yellow on channel A and the other light is green on Chanel B. The manual provides a reference but I don’t want to have to refer to that.

-connectivity. I don’t like that I can only hook this up via USB to download/edit tones. I’d rather have analog than do that. It would be great if I could use my phone via Bluetooth and select some tones. In my head I’m thinking turn the amp on, select a tone similar to Dimebag Darrell, or John Mayer, or nirvana, and just be able to play.

-kinda turned off by using batteries. I just don’t know if they would last long enough.

So I think that puts me in either using an analog amp (thinking the Orange Crush 20RT) or something other kind of digital smart amp that would be easier to use. Still would like to keep it under the $230 I spent on the Boss Katana.

Any recommendations?

You don't need 50 watts but any decent combo amp will run about the same, and the Katana explicitly has the ability to operate in low power mode. Why not just keep the katana and run it at 10w?? Its the same drat thing.

If you don't like the effects, just set up like 2 presets you like. You don't have to use them. The whole advantage of the katana is less that its a crazy complicated modeling computer like a POD and more that its just a modeling amp that sounds like 5 really good real amps. Just treat it like its a tube amp and leave it on one setting and its pretty close for half the money.

Unless you're gonna shell out for a tube amp (which don't sound good at low volume which is what you're doing anyways!) the katana is as good for you as anything else could be. This is kinda crazy talk dude.

Don't use batteries? The 50 can plug into the wall can't it?

Seriously nwin everything you said about the katana is like, backwards. This post makes no sense. The katana is exactly perfect for your use case!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 5, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nwin posted:

Looking more now, I think the Fender mustang LT25 would do the job fine for $150. It’s got enough preset sounds, the led display to tell me what I selected, and would be loud enough for my needs. If I really want I can always hook it up and edit my tones.

I just... I can't understand this.

If you didn't have an amp a Fender Mustang would be cool but if you already own a Boss Katana the Fender Mustang is going to be like literally the exact same thing. This does not make sense dude.

Save your money! This is like a weird GAS effect. Your amp is fine!

beer gas canister posted:

I'd keep the Katana because one day you're bound to be cursed with pedal lust

Keep it even if you never touch the knobs. Its the best sounding amp that doesn't cost thousands.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zaphod42 posted:

You don't need 50 watts but any decent combo amp will run about the same, and the Katana explicitly has the ability to operate in low power mode. Why not just keep the katana and run it at 10w?? Its the same drat thing.

If you don't like the effects, just set up like 2 presets you like. You don't have to use them. The whole advantage of the katana is less that its a crazy complicated modeling computer like a POD and more that its just a modeling amp that sounds like 5 really good real amps. Just treat it like its a tube amp and leave it on one setting and its pretty close for half the money.

Unless you're gonna shell out for a tube amp (which don't sound good at low volume which is what you're doing anyways!) the katana is as good for you as anything else could be. This is kinda crazy talk dude.

Seriously nwin everything you said about the katana is like, backwards. This post makes no sense. The katana is exactly perfect for your use case!

I fully agree with this post.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Zaphod42 posted:

That makes sense and agreed. I love the way it sounds, but I wish I could control things through an app instead of hooking my laptop up to it.

I’m going to try and give it another week and tweak some tones to what I would use and see how that works.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

nwin posted:

I don't know if you've pulled the trigger yet but Sweetwater has a Demo for a bit of a discount.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MustLT25--fender-mustang-lt-25-25-watt-1x8-inch-combo?cond=MustLT25d2

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nwin posted:

That makes sense and agreed. I love the way it sounds, but I wish I could control things through an app instead of hooking my laptop up to it.

I’m going to try and give it another week and tweak some tones to what I would use and see how that works.

Ah, that's at least a fair criticism I can understand. I have my PC near my amp so its actually convenient for me, and I'm not as much a fan of phone apps.

Thing is if you're not wild about effects you won't need the pc or app much, just get it set up with a couple presets and then otherwise interface with it purely using the knobs on the amp. Between the amp models, gain, and having 3 types of reverb, that's all you need really. I don't actually play with it on my PC as much as I used to.

But if it would be more convenient for you to use an app then I can get that. The Katana Air uses an app I think? And probably the Mustang I don't have one. But yeah hope you find something that works well for you.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Anime Reference posted:

The JB and the 59 are pretty different beasts. What sound are you going for?

It's hard to describe. Like, I don't have a specific genre or artist in mind. It's more the current one sounds kind of dull and I want it to be a little more clear like it is in single coil mode. I may just not have the right amp settings so though.

I'm going to google comparisons.

Spanish Manlove posted:

*edits are mine

This makes more sense, but yes this combination is super awesome.

Yeah I heard people also replace the neck pickup but I'm not sure if I want to buy more pickups just yet. I'm focusing on the HB because I use my Telecaster more often, since that's the only thing that the Tele doesn't have.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i have a 59 in the neck of one of my guitars. it sounds very good clean and carries fuzz well. not terribly useful for more moderate distortion. tends to sound a little muddy running through small amps unless i roll the highs off. nice tone when split too.