Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Nevermind the building, all the souls in it. An awful lot of people just died.

Yup, this is a massive tragedy. Possibly incorrectly stored Fertilizers, but apparently the ship that caught fire was carrying fireworks. Perfect storm and why zoning laws matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

bij posted:

It was apparently a ship in the harbor. Given the red smoke and the size of the explosion I'm gonna guess fertilizer.

Edit: "fireworks" (munitions)

https://twitter.com/SVNewsAlerts/status/1290674216623366144?s=20

People should know it's easy to claim "fireworks" because it really looks like there are fireworks going off in there, but it could just as easily be munitions because that's what it looks like when an ammo dump is blown up.

And given the size of the explosion it's hard not to assume a boatload of munitions

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sometimes fireworks storage regulations get ignored, and companies illegally store more powerful fireworks than they are licensed for. Also, they may store quantities of fireworks in excess of their allowed quantities.

For reference, see how Enschede blew up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/borzou/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Holy poo poo that looked equivalent to hundreds of tons of TNT.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That is nuts. The shockwave is so visible and distinct. Holy loving poo poo.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

That's loving terrifying. As best I can tell, this is where the blast was. From what I see, it looks more like the warehouse by the water than the silos, but I could very well be wrong.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
There are some alternate angles on the Snapchat map right now, if you have the app. Legit terrifying.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Explosionface posted:

That's loving terrifying. As best I can tell, this is where the blast was. From what I see, it looks more like the warehouse by the water than the silos, but I could very well be wrong.

That't the exact spot actually, good job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I grabbed three frames from this because it so incredible. The first is when it first lights up, then the next frame after that. The third is 45 frames or so later, with the shockwave taking off parts of the roof of the building. Assuming this is a 60fps video, would that building be 3/4 of a mile away from the explosion (or so)? Does the shockwave move faster than sound (I assume it does) meaning it's even further form the point of the explosion? Just amazed at the power of that.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Ground view

https://twitter.com/AbirGhattas/status/1290678187362484224

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I grabbed three frames from this because it so incredible. The first is when it first lights up, then the next frame after that. The third is 45 frames or so later, with the shockwave taking off parts of the roof of the building. Assuming this is a 60fps video, would that building be 3/4 of a mile away from the explosion (or so)? Does the shockwave move faster than sound (I assume it does) meaning it's even further form the point of the explosion? Just amazed at the power of that.

This appears to be footage from that roof

https://mobile.twitter.com/AbirGhattas/status/1290681166551449600

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Looks like the explosion was the warehouse:

https://twitter.com/CommieGIR/status/1290687348028649472?s=20

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Goddamn

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
This guy was filming from right next door, Be aware, there is videos with bodies in that Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1290688278094647298?s=20

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

This guy was filming from right next door, Be aware, there is videos with bodies in that Twitter thread:

That vid looks almost identical to the Enschede video. Holy lord.

Also a tweet in there saying a customs official says it was storing chemicals not fireworks, which seems right considering the red smoke

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Wow, its hard to tell since Tainjin was at night, but this seems on par with that one if not worse. Not sure the dude filming from right next door would have survived something like that.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Julius CSAR posted:

Also a tweet in there saying a customs official says it was storing chemicals not fireworks, which seems right considering the red smoke

I'm pretty sure the red smoke is nitrogen dioxide, from ammonium nitrate or similar going from solid to gas and skipping the phase in between

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

fishing with the fam posted:

That is nuts. The shockwave is so visible and distinct. Holy loving poo poo.

By the sea on a hot day like that the air is gonna be very moist, it's essentially momentarily re-liquefying the water vapour mid-air into instant cloud with the pressure of the wave.

I already have friends on my timelines claiming that "I've seen lots of explosions in my time, and that's no ordinary explosion." when I know from their life experience their only point of reference is movies and videogames.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Not sure the dude filming from right next door would have survived something like that.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it looks like he's still moving around with the camera at the end of the video.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

CommieGIR posted:

That't the exact spot actually, good job.

Thanks, luckily there were enough landmarks it wasn't too hard to figure out from some quick poking around.

In some non horrifying explostion OSHA talk, we recently implemented a masks required policy in our office (full of stipulations, of course), but they aren't required on the production floor, so a lot of us have had a lot of cases of walking out with a mask on and completely forgetting safety glasses, or taking off masks and putting safety glasses on when entering the office. No injuries or anything, just funny how one little extra PPE requirement throws everyone off and makes us dumb. I've forgotten my safety glasses at least three times.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does the shockwave move faster than sound (I assume it does) meaning it's even further form the point of the explosion?

I'd imagine a shockwave moves at exactly the same speed as sound as it's just a wave propagating through the atmosphere.

I'm wrong, the definition of a shockwave is a disturbance that is moving faster than the speed of sound, building up pressure.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

GotLag posted:

I'm pretty sure the red smoke is nitrogen dioxide, from ammonium nitrate or similar going from solid to gas and skipping the phase in between

Right on, thanks for this.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is the latest version of events coming from authorities in Beirut

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1290693115976744961
https://twitter.com/dalalmawad/status/1290695023030394880

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

It's not like the first world does any better at handling fireworks or other explosives properly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Nocheez posted:

It's not like the first world does any better at handling fireworks or other explosives properly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28

The company moto: "Initial success or total failure".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the animated guy about a minute in who looks like he really needs to take a poo poo.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rascar Capac posted:

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it looks like he's still moving around with the camera at the end of the video.

unfortunately i don't think that video includes the actual big blast. I think those are smaller preliminary bursts from the explosion. Still the person looks like they are running for cover, maybe if they got into a basement they could have survived :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well it just happened and the video was uploaded. Are you proposing that someone grabbed a dead person's phone and immediately started uploading videos?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Could have been streamed?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ugghh... could that be thousands dead? that's awful

e: i really hope all the damage to the apartments is just on the front

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 4, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Squalid posted:

unfortunately i don't think that video includes the actual big blast. I think those are smaller preliminary bursts from the explosion. Still the person looks like they are running for cover, maybe if they got into a basement they could have survived :smith:
Unless the basement is a bomb shelter don't do that. Most explosion deaths are falling buildings. Except for some very specific war crime bombs if you're out of the thermal radius the best place to be is outside because the human body can withstand bigger shockwaves than everything but purpose built bomb shelters and occasional brick poo poo houses.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
I'm not totally sure but I think if I were in a situation like that I would probably just run around uselessly until I died.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
One of the most insane things I've ever seen :stare:

CommieGIR posted:

The initial video makes it look like the entire explosion radius got vaporized so this POV gives me... hope?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The one thing i've learnt from watching loads of videos is when something is on fire get the gently caress away. don't stand around filming it for social media.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hemale in pain posted:

The one thing i've learnt from watching loads of videos is when something is on fire get the gently caress away. don't stand around filming it for social media.

This also applies to things that are not presently on fire but would very much like to be, like that leaking pipeline in Mexico.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Gonna crosspost this gem

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GotLag posted:

Current speculation I'm seeing from people who know about explosives is that the initial explosion was probably fireworks that then detonated fertilizer or something chemically similar that was caught by the blast.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This basically makes this explosion their version of the Texas City disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

quote:

The Texas City disaster was an industrial accident that occurred April 16, 1947, in the Port of Texas City, Texas, at Galveston Bay. It was the deadliest industrial accident in U.S. history, and one of history's largest non-nuclear explosions. A mid-morning fire started on board the French-registered vessel SS Grandcamp (docked in the port), and detonated her cargo of approximately 2,200 tons (approximately 2,100 metric tons) of ammonium nitrate.[1] This started a chain reaction of additional fires and explosions in other ships and nearby oil-storage facilities. The events killed a total of at least 581 people, including all but one member of the Texas City fire department.[2] The disaster triggered the first-ever class action lawsuit against the United States government, under the recently enacted Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), on behalf of 8,485 victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Shneak posted:

One of the most insane things I've ever seen :stare:

The initial video makes it look like the entire explosion radius got vaporized so this POV gives me... hope?

Well the big thing in the first video is a vapor cloud formed by the shockwave, I'm no expert but I wouldn't be surprised if those buildings are still standing. I certainly wouldn't want to have been standing on the roof during that though.