Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Informative videos are fine but I want to sink my teeth into a real gameplay video with all the considerations and drama. Hope we'll have previews soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

ilitarist posted:

Informative videos are fine but I want to sink my teeth into a real gameplay video with all the considerations and drama. Hope we'll have previews soon.

I think they announced they're going to be doing gameplay streams on wednesdays.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

As in devs? I remember how all the devs MP streams of EU4 - the game I most familiar with - did nothing for me and didn't even highlight any of upcoming features. It looked like devs themselves are having fun. Well we'll see on Wednesday, my dudes.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

ilitarist posted:

As in devs? I remember how all the devs MP streams of EU4 - the game I most familiar with - did nothing for me and didn't even highlight any of upcoming features. It looked like devs themselves are having fun. Well we'll see on Wednesday, my dudes.

The announcement said it would be 'Alexander Oltner, Game Director, and Rodrigue Delrue, Community Developer' appearing for the first one. No idea what it'll be like though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Paradox has done some entertaining CK2 single player stream series in the past, though not with these people. I bet it's gonna be single player, because they know that multiplayer CK is not really that big of a thing.

edit: Though, have they talked about multiplayer much in the dev diaries? I wonder if they bothered to do anything different at all this time around or if it's gonna be the same old stuff.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Multiplayer CK would be a thing if it hadn’t been broken for literal years.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New dev diary on performance and AI. Look at that speed 5 :eyepop:

Also apparently fewer OOS issues, so maybe multiplayer will be better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Anno posted:

Holy crap, that's insane.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anno posted:

ung

amazing

do we know what the minimum requirements will be? i'll be super annoyed if i have to upgrade my computer for a PARADOX GAME but ill fukken do it.

edit: here we go

Here are the Crusader Kings 3 System Requirements (Minimum)
CPU: Intel® iCore™ i5-750 or Intel® iCore™ i3-2120, or AMD® Phenom™ II X6 1055T.
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460, or AMD® Radeon™ R7 260X or AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970, or Intel® Iris Pro™ 580.

definitely dont meet em. gently caress

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 4, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My PC is 8 years old, I wanted to upgrade anyway.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Great dev diary, especially the AI stuff. Love this section:

quote:

In CK3 the AI has a system I tend to call “stand and fight”. If the player (or any other enemy) is near its army, will beat it, and there’s no real hope of winning the war as all its troops are already gathered, then instead of running away the AI will find a nearby defensive location and wait there for up to a month for the enemy to wipe it out. This way instead of dragging its demise out it makes a last stand in a good location. The result is that the player doesn’t have to chase down armies nearly as much as in CK2, but that it only tends to kick in for wars the player is clearly going to win regardless.
Similarly, often the game design itself is created with the AI at least partially in mind. We’ve talked about the fort mechanics earlier, but the quick recap is that walking deep into enemy territory without sieging first is going to kill most of your troops. The AI will thus virtually never do it, so when you’re behind your own lines you have the time to regroup and figure out what to do. Similarly, there’s little temptation to try to chase down the AI deep into its territory. This helps keep the focus more on siege warfare, which is very fitting for the era.
It contributes to every goal I’ve mentioned: The AI ends up better due to there being fewer options available, so we could make it smarter in picking between those. The player gets less frustrated. And it emphasises a historical aspect of the era, while avoiding silly chases halfway around the world.

as someone whose least favourite part of Paradox games is chasing around enemy armies this sounds great.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This looks so good but:

a fatguy baldspot posted:

CPU: Intel® iCore™ i5-750 or Intel® iCore™ i3-2120, or AMD® Phenom™ II X6 1055T.
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460, or AMD® Radeon™ R7 260X or AMD® Radeon™ HD 6970, or Intel® Iris Pro™ 580.

:negative:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

This looks so good but:

:negative:

You can't meet minimum requirements that are literally ten year old components?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Hey don't spec-shame.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

The specs are fine for me, but I was hoping to put off upgrading from Windows 7 until I build a new PC next year.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Windows 7 isn't officially supported but practically all games still work on it and according to a developer post CK3 does too.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Didn't they hand out Windows 10 for free to anyone who had Windows 7 years ago?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Myssu posted:

The specs are fine for me, but I was hoping to put off upgrading from Windows 7 until I build a new PC next year.

:same:

Edit:

PittTheElder posted:

I'm hesitant to upgrade because I'm not sure how well my visual studio projects and other programming poo poo will migrate.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 4, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PittTheElder posted:

They still do, unofficially. The service to upgrade was never turned off and is still available on Microsoft's website.

That said, I can sympathise with the desire to stick with Windows 7.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Real username post combo here

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Man, is Paradox dropping Linux / macOS support? :smith:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beamed posted:

Probably too risky on Mac given the expected product life of the game and the persistent rumours that Mac will switch processing platform in the near future.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Beamed posted:

No, CK3 is on all 3 but they're separate tabs so that poster just copied the Windows requirements.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I hope the Paradox thread gets an appearance by the people who haven't upgraded their computer since 2004 and are indignant that developers are not keeping them in mind as the primary consumer.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Tippis posted:

Probably too risky on Mac given the expected product life of the game and the persistent rumours that Mac will switch processing platform in the near future.

It's not a rumor, they officially announced they're moving to ARM.

Sindai posted:

No, CK3 is on all 3 but they're separate tabs so that poster just copied the Windows requirements.

Gotcha, thanks!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Beamed posted:

It's not a rumor, they officially announced they're moving to ARM.

And it’s still going to cost an ARM and a LEG, right folks?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Do0edTei0

Bavarian Guy video about dynasties. I spent a few minutes scrolling the video frame by frame to see all the revealed dynasty talents, so you don't need to. There are 7 branches with 5 traits each, every trait costing 1000 renown more than the previous trait.

Glory branch:
Desirable Match: Marriage Acceptance +30 -> Renowned Name: Monthly Prestige +10% -> XXX -> XXX -> Righteousness: General opinion +10

Kin branch:
XXX->Studious Youth: Dynasty members get better education traits -> XXX -> XXX -> Graceful Aging: No prowess loss from age = yes, increase skills with age

Blood branch:
Noble Veins: Chance of inheriting good congenital traits +30%, chance of new good congenital trait +30% -> Convergent Blood: Chance of reinforcing congenital traits +30% -> Resilient Bloodline: Chance of inheriting bad congenital trait -30%, change of new bad congenital trait -30% -> Architected Ancestry: Select a congenital trait to become more common in your dynasty -> Octogenarians: Life expectancy (years) +5

Erudition branch:

XXX -> XXX -> XXX -> XXX -> Bureaucrats: Base progress and councilor skill impact on councilor tasks +10%

Some of the traits are not easy to judge, but I will definitely do at least one playthrough heavily focusing on the blood branch to breed a family of superhumans.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah blood seems probably too strong since it'll basically be straight stat upgrades across the board.

I forgot how traits work though, you get 3 per character right?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You get 3 personality traits per character. There's also commander traits, congenital traits, coping mechanisms, physical traits like 'one eyed', and probably more.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Breeding ubermenschs is an old CK tradition.

I got stong, genius, attractive one time :yaycloud:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hellioning posted:

You get 3 personality traits per character. There's also commander traits, congenital traits, coping mechanisms, physical traits like 'one eyed', and probably more.

And you get one educational trait as well.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/CrusaderKings/status/1291010930193514498

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
lol 10 minutes into the stream and they realise the player character has his sister as a lover

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

That UI is amazing. I'm super hyped for this.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuf posted:

lol 10 minutes into the stream and they realise the player character has his sister as a lover

Alright, game confirmed to be a worthy CK2 successor, pre-ordering now!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uh now the player's mother is leaving the court, like the game thought they were one of the wandering guests

I dunno how much of this stuff is buggy or intentional

But yeah the UI is still amazing and in general it looks great

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

canepazzo posted:

That UI is amazing. I'm super hyped for this.

You can definitely tell they spent five years on this.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

fuf posted:

uh now the player's mother is leaving the court, like the game thought they were one of the wandering guests

I dunno how much of this stuff is buggy or intentional

I think that was intentional; her husband was dead, so she held no land, and she was looking for someone to press her claim so she could be a ruler instead of queen mother.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

disaster pastor posted:

I think that was intentional; her husband was dead, so she held no land, and she was looking for someone to press her claim so she could be a ruler instead of queen mother.

I guess that makes sense but intuitively it feels a bit weird that as a ruler your elderly mother would leave for someone else's court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

I guess that makes sense but intuitively it feels a bit weird that as a ruler your elderly mother would leave for someone else's court

Might be connected to her stats. If she's ambitious it sounds fine to me.

I like what I see in this stream. Looks very polished.