Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I always forget about track balls. Buddy of mine in middle school's dad was a track ball user and was insane at CS. No idea how but it worked for him.

Probably spent a poo poo ton of quarters on Centipede and Missile Command as a teen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I always forget about track balls. Buddy of mine in middle school's dad was a track ball user and was insane at CS. No idea how but it worked for him.

Clearly he was just really skilled at handling balls.

Couldn't resist, dammit!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I get inverted control stick (not really but) but....... Inverted.... Mouse.....?

Inverted feels natural. You pull your head back to look up after all.

(I played like that in the Quake days but ended up conforming shortly afterwards).

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yeah after years of playing old school games like a-10 tank killer before i played an fps, then jedi-knight inverted on and quake 1, i've been inverted mouse look.

i was reading something recently about inverted mouse look players can have difficulty tracking players in fps who are running across their fov and either up or down. i've wondered if that's true. I don't think its an issue for me?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

seems like something you'd have to do a study on, enough people think inverting's better that it must give them some benefit. Weighing it up properly would take some effort

I mean non-inverted seems easier for an FPS because you just point and click like how you normally use a mouse but :shrug:???

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hwurmp posted:

inverted WASD is a life changer

ASD normal, move MOUSE1, fire MOUSE2

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

baka kaba posted:

seems like something you'd have to do a study on, enough people think inverting's better that it must give them some benefit. Weighing it up properly would take some effort

I mean non-inverted seems easier for an FPS because you just point and click like how you normally use a mouse but :shrug:???

yeah that's a decent argument for non-inverted, but so is the pull back on mouse to look up / tilt head back to look up. really i think it's just what you learn with. i guess you could retrain yourself to do either i'm sure.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Depends on how long you've been playing.
I've used ESDF since quake days and get so screwed up when a game forces you to use WASD.

I tend to just exit a vehicle a ton on those games when I need to move quickly.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I had a buddy who would shoot with space in FPSs and left click was 'get out melee weapon'....

I'm sure there are a host of viable alternatives, but I can only imagine you'd save a lot of effort by just learning the Half-Life style controls that are close to the defaults in every FPS.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I know someone who swears by QETC as an alternative to WASD, which was apparently one of the control schemes in Deus Ex. I guess I can see it if you have really large hands or something, but it always felt weird to me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OgNar posted:

Depends on how long you've been playing.
I've used ESDF since quake days and get so screwed up when a game forces you to use WASD.

I tend to just exit a vehicle a ton on those games when I need to move quickly.

Tribes 2 did ESDF and it was really good.

Don't understand how anyone can play a controller game without inverted y-axis.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pararoid posted:

I had a buddy who would shoot with space in FPSs and left click was 'get out melee weapon'....

I used to play TF2 and had a mouse button that was melee attack, but it was like mouse5 or something goddamn

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Hwurmp posted:

inverted WASD is a life changer

more of a game changer tbh

aniviron posted:

I know someone who swears by QETC as an alternative to WASD, which was apparently one of the control schemes in Deus Ex. I guess I can see it if you have really large hands or something, but it always felt weird to me.

what the gently caress

wait actually i kinda get it, and it does make more numbers easily hittable and spacebar is just a roll of the thumb away but wow, that is super counterintuitive.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new dose of Twitch Prime is up:

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn
WARSAW
Treachery in Beatdown City
Blazing Chrome
Chroma Squad

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

aniviron posted:

i just put my fingers of these keys and this is an abomination.

i've thought about moving to e s d f because then i would also always have a finger on a home key, and i'd have a lot more keys to bind. but i'd also probably forget them all anyway so don't bother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Kins posted:

The new dose of Twitch Prime is up:

Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn

Is that a port, a remake or a completely new game?

Woden
May 6, 2006

hambeet posted:

i just put my fingers of these keys and this is an abomination.

i've thought about moving to e s d f because then i would also always have a finger on a home key, and i'd have a lot more keys to bind. but i'd also probably forget them all anyway so don't bother.

Some games don't update their tutorials or in game menus and poo poo for your new binds, so I just invert y, tweak mouse sensitivity if needed and leave everything else as default.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woden posted:

Some games don't update their tutorials or in game menus and poo poo for your new binds, so I just invert y, tweak mouse sensitivity if needed and leave everything else as default.

I hope that isn't true of any games made in the 5 or so years.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Skwirl posted:

iirc it's the sequel that got kickstarted that was as bad as the original, but i could be wrong on every part of that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Skwirl posted:

It's a sequel and it's bad

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

in late 1994 my grandmother graciously bestowed upon me Shaq Fu: Da Return which I'm only just now realizing was his second studio album

in summary, Shaq is a man of contrasts

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

aniviron posted:

This only works if you have a mutant hand with a middle finger that isn't longer than your ring or index fingers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm missing half an inch off my left middle finger and it still feels super weird to me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are currently free on Xbox 360 (and Xbox One, because back-compat).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fuzz posted:

This only works if you have a mutant hand with a middle finger that isn't longer than your ring or index fingers.
Maybe middle finger goes on C, ring finger goes on E, index on T, pinky on Q? Can't imagine using that, though.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe middle finger goes on C, ring finger goes on E, index on T, pinky on Q? Can't imagine using that, though.

Ring on Q, middle on E, index on T, depending on angle either middle or index dips down to C as needed. Who the heck has all of WASD covered simultaneously?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

you could rock your finger across the W and S like you're fretting a guitar :guitar:

either way having the key right there is nice, I feel like I'd get RSI within 2 minutes trying that other one. Or is your thumb meant to go on the C?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Kins posted:

Crackdown and Crackdown 2 are currently free on Xbox 360 (and Xbox One, because back-compat).

Reminder that Crackdown owwwwwwns and crackdown 2 is more of the same. Also later in the game you get mobility that is rivaled maybe only by BOTW and Just Cause.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Crackdown is a great climbing, glowy finding game.
Others have tried to emulate that style and not come close.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Collecting the orbs really does give you a wild dopamine hit and I’m not usually a collectathon fan by any means

:orb:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Honestly I think it's because they explode into your body and then your body visibly grows

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Kins posted:

The first one is fun. The sequel? Lmaoooo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Crackdown is great because it's a game you can complete in like a day from start to finish so there's not a lot of filler or grinding or really much of a story, you're basically just constantly getting more powerful and sweeping through new areas from start to finish. It does have as much depth of variety as something like Prototype or Saints Row 4 or Infamous but what's there is really polished and fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Crackdown is great because it's a game you can complete in like a day from start to finish so there's not a lot of filler or grinding or really much of a story, you're basically just constantly getting more powerful and sweeping through new areas from start to finish. It does have as much depth of variety as something like Prototype or Saints Row 4 or Infamous but what's there is really polished and fun.

How does the traversal stack up compared to something like Infamous or Prototype? That’s always my favorite part of a super powered game.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

You get a car that can level up and change forms as you get more driving orbs but it’s overshadowed by the fact you can jump about 8 million feet in the air by the end. Your locomotion powers don’t look particularly slick but they’re very functional and feel good to use

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How does the traversal stack up compared to something like Infamous or Prototype? That’s always my favorite part of a super powered game.

It's all jumping and climbing, no gliding or wallrunning. Aside from your HQ and the tower the final boss is in there isn't any particularly outrageous or unrealistic architecture so traversal is a breeze, and you still rely on vehicles because you don't have super speed but you have access to souped-up sci-fi vehicles.

Also a big part of the design is based around emergent gameplay, instead of missions they mostly just have a bunch of bosses around the map for you to take down however you like whether it's sniping them or throwing them off of a skyscraper or driving a car through their mansion. It was made by one of the guys who created Grand Theft Auto and went off to do his own thing because he preferred making sandboxes where people could create their own fun instead of the heavily scripted and narrative-direction GTA was going in and it shows.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Even if you don't feel like playing through 20xx's campaign mode because you prefer your megaman levels to be bespoke,, I'd thoroughly recommend getting it anyway just for the boss rush mode.

Procgen aside it controls and flows really well, and is definitely a fun way to kill a few hours.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The music in 20XX is also fantastic.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Game is fun just need to remember to do the sky levels first cause if you leave them for last it’s a massive pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

It’s nice, especially in the 360 era to see a game that you can play how you want. I personally chose to grind for a bit In crackdown (because grinding for orbs is fun as hell) and literally oneshotted the first boss. It was hilarious and still sticks out in my mind today.

You can play any way you want. You can go after the bosses the second they’re available and it will be a pretty serious fight, or you can :orb: until you get to the difficulty level you want to be at

Also as mentioned the traversal and mobility just feels really good. I literally never take cars in crackdown unless a mission forced me to because just running and jumping like some coked up Spider-Man was so drat fun

Jumping 500 feet in the air and firing a rocket at a bunch of dudes just to have their orbs hit you like 10 seconds later is super satisfying

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 5, 2020