Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

gandlethorpe posted:

Few days late, but here's another reason Trump shouldn't be considered too boring to do a reveal stream:

https://twitter.com/TrumpSC/status/1182887804931629057?s=19

lol

whenever I see that guy, it's like watching a less charismatic and charming professor frink. his continued existence literally proves in a single stroke that the 'foot in the door' phenomenon for streaming games is 100% real. in a fair world with a just God, he would have streamed for no more than 20 viewers for several years before wandering off to do an MBA in accounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

gandlethorpe posted:

Few days late, but here's another reason Trump shouldn't be considered too boring to do a reveal stream:

https://twitter.com/TrumpSC/status/1182887804931629057?s=19

Some here might have missed it back then and don't know what the story behind it is:

https://twitter.com/MiaMalkova/status/1211369314541944832

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jeza posted:

lol

whenever I see that guy, it's like watching a less charismatic and charming professor frink. his continued existence literally proves in a single stroke that the 'foot in the door' phenomenon for streaming games is 100% real. in a fair world with a just God, he would have streamed for no more than 20 viewers for several years before wandering off to do an MBA in accounting.

Each to their own, but I like his YT content. It's funny to see him get overconfident/overemphasising value, only for it to spectacularly backfire.

Although as noted, he's saved by an amazing editor. Who is his editor again? I feel like there's one prominent HS YT editor who does work for several of the top streamers (Firebat has a good editor as well).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Each to their own, but I like his YT content. It's funny to see him get overconfident/overemphasising value, only for it to spectacularly backfire.

Although as noted, he's saved by an amazing editor. Who is his editor again? I feel like there's one prominent HS YT editor who does work for several of the top streamers (Firebat has a good editor as well).

he goes by Jens and is very, very good

my effort to find more is made complicated by the names of the US president and the NATO secretary general Jens Stoltenberg

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Ed the Editor does all of the videos for Day9, Firebat, Pikaboo, Zalae, & Tempostorm's Hearthstone channel. Trump's is Jens, I don't know if they edit for anyone else.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Yeah, Trump isn't a great streamer but he provides enough actual reactions for his editor to make him a pretty good Youtuber. His card reviews aren't terrible either.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Mayveena posted:

It's fine :) I've read about MtG players who routinely spend $400 a month on MtG. You can't even spend that much on Hearthstone!

Sure you can, just commit to gilding all your decks. You’ll hit that mark in no time.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Trump is a dinosaur, he's great. Back in classic, the game was purely about value. Cairne is two yetis for 6 mana?! Trump has never lost this mindset, or at least continues to play it up, despite the game moving way beyond value into a land of absurd nonsense. He's constantly bewildered, it's a good schtick.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
getting an MBA to do accounting seems like a waste of money, better to do a MAcc program

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be really funny if multiclass cards ruined pure paladin.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I'm starting to really enjoy Wild Big Druid.

Turns out 2 copies of Y'shaarj on board by turn 6 breaks people.

Ooh, and you've not lived until you slam Germinate on a free Colossus of the Moon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Acerbatus posted:

They don't.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Olpainless posted:

I'm starting to really enjoy Wild Big Druid.

Turns out 2 copies of Y'shaarj on board by turn 6 breaks people.

Ooh, and you've not lived until you slam Germinate on a free Colossus of the Moon.

Decklist?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

### big.
# Class: Druid
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Biology Project
# 2x (1) Strength in Numbers
# 2x (2) Breath of Dreams
# 2x (3) Imprisoned Satyr
# 1x (4) Archmage Vargoth
# 2x (4) Germination
# 2x (4) Oaken Summons
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 2x (6) Emerald Explorer
# 2x (7) Marsh Hydra
# 2x (7) Overflow
# 2x (7) Winged Guardian
# 2x (8) Twin Tyrant
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Colossus of the Moon
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound
#
AAEBAZICBMUEqKsC1pkD36kDDYTmAo/2AtulA7CtA/2tA4yuA96vA/+1A+S6A+a6A+i6A+26A/O7AwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

It's basically nothing BUT ramp, ramp enabling, minion cheating and big things.

Might be some tweaking to be done as regards the absolute best of Big Things (for instance, I'm pretty sure Lich King is a contender, but I don't have it) , but this feels pretty good.

I'm really impressed by Marsh Hydra, it devours threats and gets you another Big Thing.

As an aside, I'm beginning to thing Scrapyard Colossus might be one of the sleeper hits of the expansion. Its just so goddamn sticky.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

adamarama posted:

Trump is a dinosaur, he's great. Back in classic, the game was purely about value. Cairne is two yetis for 6 mana?! Trump has never lost this mindset, or at least continues to play it up, despite the game moving way beyond value into a land of absurd nonsense. He's constantly bewildered, it's a good schtick.

It was never about purely about value. Reynad’s Zoo Warlock was the deck to beat back in the Basic/Classic-only meta and demonstrated quite early how important tempo was in a game where the attacker dictates combat.

Trump has the mindset of someone playing a mono-blue MtG deck and stubbornly refuses to admit he’s playing a different game. I kind of respect it in a way.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Kibler pointed out that Nature Studies (druid 1 mana spell: discover a spell. Your next one costs one (1) less) is also a kind of ramp card. If you play this on turn 1, hero power (or play a 2 mana minion) on turn 2, you can play Overgrowth on turn 3.

I hadn't thought about that, this would actually be fairly powerful.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think people are sleeping on the Studies cycle. A lot of the reviewers/streamers are immediately discounting them as "discover a card for 1 mana has always sucked" without really factoring in that the card is basically free to cast with the discount. Many of them are actually "tutoring" for pretty good stuff - dragons, spells, rush, even the spell power one is pretty good specifically for Mage.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Torrannor posted:

Kibler pointed out that Nature Studies (druid 1 mana spell: discover a spell. Your next one costs one (1) less) is also a kind of ramp card. If you play this on turn 1, hero power (or play a 2 mana minion) on turn 2, you can play Overgrowth on turn 3.

I hadn't thought about that, this would actually be fairly powerful.

Yeah the druid one looks much better than most of the rest of the cycle because it allows you to ramp your other ramp cards without card disadvantage. It probably won’t be a super uncommon sequence for druids to go Studies on 1, Wild Growth on 2, Overgrowth on 3, and have 7 mana by turn 4, especially since if you’re missing a Wild Growth or Overgrowth to finish the sequence the Studies can help you find one.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The spellpower studies one might also be relevant for control shaman, which has decent tools for surviving but needs a way to end the game. It might enable Malygos combos without coin since 8 mana Maly plus double lightning bolt is 16.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

orangelex44 posted:

I think people are sleeping on the Studies cycle. A lot of the reviewers/streamers are immediately discounting them as "discover a card for 1 mana has always sucked" without really factoring in that the card is basically free to cast with the discount. Many of them are actually "tutoring" for pretty good stuff - dragons, spells, rush, even the spell power one is pretty good specifically for Mage.

Nature's Studies is essentially a half-cost Primordial Glyph. And that card was absurdly powerful, a two-off in basically every mage deck for as long as it was in standard. Now granted, mages usually have some very good spell synergies, and have probably the best spells in their basic and classic sets. But banking mana was very powerful, and Nature Studies is even more versatile, because the discount is not limited to the card you discovered (which is obviously also a downside in some situations). And there's also the fact that this allows you to discover more of your ramp spells early, which is always important in ramp druids. Or you have another chance to get Savage Roar as a token druid. Or Embiggen, etc. Druid is pretty spell heavy this last few rotations, and this is just a fantastic card to discover a core card for your gameplay.

And as you said, a discounted spell damage minion is pretty good for burn mage as well, if such a deck exists. Can also be a reliable way for minionless mage to get any spell damage minions at all.

I think discovering a demom or deathrattle minion is relatively weak, so I'm no sure whether any warlocks or hunters will run their study cards. And I'm not sure discovering a dragon fits into priest, when it has Lackeys and Galakrond for better discovers (but let's talk again after these cards have rotated out). I can easily see the warrior study being run.

All in all, it's a very interesting set.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nature's Studies is by far the best of the Studies because there are some really good spells that you absolutely would run 3 of if you could, and not all that many really bad ones because you only get offered class cards

the worst one is probably the Hunter one, there are an absolute tonne of terrible deathrattles out there

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Priests have a lot of card generation, but not a ton of discover. You get a lot of stuff but it's not often the right stuff (at least when it comes to minions). I think their study card can make the cut in Highlander, as a way to smooth out the curve to compensate for their lovely draw and to be at worst a source of lategame value. The deck has a couple good legendaries that qualify for the one-mana discount, even if you're not going all-in on the Dragon package.

The demon one is poo poo and the deathrattle one has too many subpar/awkward choices to be useful. Four out of six ain't bad though.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Just played someone literally named schutzstaffel. How the gently caress is that not an automatic ban.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

OTHER class cards have no effect.

Example: Beneath the Grounds from rogue has no effect on it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Class cards from other classes aren't neutral, who would have known.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Class cards from other classes aren't neutral, who would have known.

Out of curiosity, what do Tri-Class cards from MSG count as, class cards or neutral? They're in the neutral card collection iirc.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Out of curiosity, what do Tri-Class cards from MSG count as, class cards or neutral? They're in the neutral card collection iirc.

If I remember right the game just puts them in the neutral category for sorting purposes, but things like class sensitive tavern brawls treated them like class cards in the past.

edit: It seems with the newest update the collection manager now fully treats the tri-class cards as class cards, putting a copy of them in each of the three applicable classes

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 4, 2020

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Google says they counted as class cards.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I just saw a sale for I think 10 packs of Ashes and 10 Descent for 19.99 that came with 2 Scholomance legendaries and when went back to buy it it was gone. Did anyone else catch that? Am I going crazy and imaging things?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/new-special-offer-felosophy-bundle-what-is-going-on-instantly-disappeared/38376

Apparently not. wtf Blizzard

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Desert Bus posted:

I just saw a sale for I think 10 packs of Ashes and 10 Descent for 19.99 that came with 2 Scholomance legendaries and when went back to buy it it was gone. Did anyone else catch that? Am I going crazy and imaging things?

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/new-special-offer-felosophy-bundle-what-is-going-on-instantly-disappeared/38376

Apparently not. wtf Blizzard

That seems like the kind of sale they’d put up about a month after the expansion launches. Someone probably pushed it out to the storefront early by mistake.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Promoted Pawn posted:

That seems like the kind of sale they’d put up about a month after the expansion launches. Someone probably pushed it out to the storefront early by mistake.

After way too much Googling and digging around that seems to be the consensus. There was a new card back too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder whether Sorceror's Apprentice will get HoFed in the not so distant future. On the one hand, it's clearly central to quite a few mage decks, especially combo decks of course. On the other hand, this is a poster child for restricting design space. The devs always have to be super careful about printing cheap spells in mage, because they so easily cost 0.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I figure she’s more likely to be outright nerfed, since she’s also been a problem in Wild’s Quest Mage.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I think any effect that reduces mana costs needs to reduced it at most to 1. Otherwise, at some point, something will come along to bust 0-cost cards of any description.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

I figure she’s more likely to be outright nerfed, since she’s also been a problem in Wild’s Quest Mage.

I can see a cost increase to the apprentice itself not actually being unreasonable. Enough to stop it being easy to double molten reflection would be good. Her effect honestly feels like it's worth 2 mana on it's own.
Edit, or have the cost decrease lessen each spell cast in the turn or something.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Is the problem Apprentice, or is it Antonidas? That card is basically in the same boat that Prophet Velen was, which is that it's not really good in anything but a combo deck.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orangelex44 posted:

gonna demonic studies into jaraxxus into hero power every game. :getin:

Yestermoment posted:

OTHER class cards have no effect.

Example: Beneath the Grounds from rogue has no effect on it.

I've never actually played Pure Paladin so I assumed stuff like BTG killed it.

I also thought bombs were warrior cards but I guess there was that one random boomsday card that used them.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 5, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

orangelex44 posted:

Is the problem Apprentice, or is it Antonidas? That card is basically in the same boat that Prophet Velen was, which is that it's not really good in anything but a combo deck.

Eh, it's never a terrible card, really... Free fireballs are basically always good, and it could sit in quite a few fella happily as a flex. Apprentice is always the prime enabler of degeneracy.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IMO apprentice is too important to the cheap spells archetype to nerf her. Cards like Chenvala and mana cyclone absolutely need her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

orangelex44 posted:

It’s Apprentice. Antonidas is an engine that specifically wants 4 Apprentices on the board, but Apprentice can theoretically be the centerpiece of any number of degenerate combos. Previously it’s been a combo with Flamewaker to create extremely high amounts of random damage and also helped turn Mana Cyclone into a value powerhouse.

Things that manipulate mana costs or generate free mana should always be first on the chopping block when it comes to killing problematic combos because they so easily slot themselves into completely new problematic combos. So many game breaking cards or mechanics not just in Hearthstone, but in CCGs in general, center around making things cost less than they should and 0 mana is frequently a breaking point where problems start emerging. The section between 5:21-7:34 of this video (though I’d recommend watching the whole thing) points out how cards that are bad at 1 mana can be oppressive at 0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufCU_N82w8