Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moo the cow posted:

I got something similar to this and I thought it would be a useless gimmick that I never used, seeing as I have A Good Power Drill to do that kind of thing for serious work, and my hands are stronger when doing gentle work with a basic screwdriver.

I was wrong on both counts.
I stayed away from them for the same reason but eventually got a cheapo clone from a local horror Hazard Fraught equivalent for :10bux: on sale and it's been surprisingly useful. Yeah the casing is ABS and the bits are made of butter it gets Ikea poo poo assembled in no time.

A few weeks back I also got an Makita knockoff impact wrench from aliexpress, $28:

and a battery for like $25 with some coupons/points

It's a loving beast. Nowhere near the insane 500 nm they're claiming, or probably even what the real Makita delivers, but easily deals with lug nuts and anything else I've tried it on. The battery is pretty solid but my RC charger won't discharge it at a reasonable rate so I couldn't measure the real capacity so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Warbird posted:

Key me in on what's special here if you wouldn't mind. Just that it's small? I have a Lowe's/Depot special drill that came in a larger kit and does fine by me, but I could see a smaller one being useful.

The body also rotates on this model. So you can have it completely straight or set up like the picture.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
For you aliexpress folks, how do you do disputes? I have two small items that reached America but never arrived and I can’t select “item didn’t arrive” because it says it was given to the last mile carrier and will eventually arrive. But it’s been sitting at that stage for three months and is obviously not arriving.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Moo the cow posted:

You just leave it somewhere convenient, pick it up and use.

This is what I do with my impact driver :confused:

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

JEEVES420 posted:

This is what I do with my impact driver :confused:

I'm not working on commission here.

But, as an example: I've used it twice in the last couple of weeks - once to change a window lock and once to open up a blender for repair. I wouldn't use an impact driver for either of those tasks, but it was definitely quicker than a basic screwdriver.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I have a Makita version of that little impact driver and it's awesome. Tons of settings for torque and speed so if I'm driving a screw into some flimsy particle board I can be sure not to strip the thing out. My normal impact is way too powerful to do that kind of stuff even on it's lowest setting. So basically I get the speed of an impact with some of the precision of using a screwdriver. We also have a Ryobi like the one posted and it's pretty nice too, but the one we have doesn't really have any power at all.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
A couple of LEGO sets.

This may have been a bad idea opening up the LEGO rabbit hole, as I am already looking at other sets to build after I finish these.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

For you aliexpress folks, how do you do disputes? I have two small items that reached America but never arrived and I can’t select “item didn’t arrive” because it says it was given to the last mile carrier and will eventually arrive. But it’s been sitting at that stage for three months and is obviously not arriving.
The impact was actually from banggood, I forgot. Haven't actually had to dispute anything from aliexpress for not arriving (there was one thing that never showed up but it was like $2 and I forgot about it) so you could check the GBS thread. But generally I think you have to wait until after the promised delivery window to have a chance. And sometimes stuff does get stuck and takes months to move even within the country.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bought a watch for my dad's 75th birthday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXs4uDSo4hQ

He was happy

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

That's a hell of a lot better than a pair of slippers!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Bought a watch for my dad's 75th birthday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXs4uDSo4hQ

He was happy

Oooo, I like it. I didn't know they made it without the racing green face/band.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

It does feel like it should come with leather-backed driving gloves. (In a good way)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And a tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Oooo, I like it. I didn't know they made it without the racing green face/band.

Yes I tried both models (green face with light brown band too) and there was no hesitation; it just looked better to me. Maybe less sporty but that's actually a good thing IMO. I also checked the previous models and it seems they get better with each iteration.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, it's got a nice clean look with the white face. It could work as a dress watch and a daily. Hope your dad has a really good birthday!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, it's got a nice clean look with the white face. It could work as a dress watch and a daily. Hope your dad has a really good birthday!

As good as we could make it with a 15 people limit due to covid. But we're still lucky as 2 days later we now are down to 5 people gatherings.

But yeah he was moved and it made my day. We almost lost him last December when he was hit by a car while crossing the street. I realized I wanted him to know he was loved. It took a lot of time but now he's almost healed so it was a good birthday

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I've been under a lot of stress and I have a lot more money right now than I budgeted for so naturally I've been depression shopping.

Home office chair. I was originally gonna get a much cheaper one from IKEA but IKEA is not delivering right now and I have no wish to enter the hell zone

TriBit MaxSound speaker. I needed a speaker for my desk and am not an audiophile.

And then some fish tank supplies because in isolation I am my own greatest enemy and will likely start a new freshwater tank soon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

As good as we could make it with a 15 people limit due to covid. But we're still lucky as 2 days later we now are down to 5 people gatherings.

But yeah he was moved and it made my day. We almost lost him last December when he was hit by a car while crossing the street. I realized I wanted him to know he was loved. It took a lot of time but now he's almost healed so it was a good birthday

Cool! Well, wish him a happy birthday from a stranger on the internet and let him know that stranger likes his watch and toy car.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Got one of these because 1) I loving LOVE basil and 2) shopping therapy, it cheered me up for a handful of seconds there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doc Fission posted:

I've been under a lot of stress and I have a lot more money right now than I budgeted for so naturally I've been depression shopping.

Home office chair. I was originally gonna get a much cheaper one from IKEA but IKEA is not delivering right now and I have no wish to enter the hell zone
It’s the accent chair I got from Inside Weather!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Got a 100 years old retractile fountain pen for repairs and cleaning. Seller said "nib missing", so I am crossing my fingers that he didn't notice the retracted nib and it's just tucked inside. If not... oh well v:shobon:v

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shellception has a new favorite as of 09:11 on Aug 1, 2020

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

A bit of DLC for the weekend

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

It’s the accent chair I got from Inside Weather!

Yeah I don't have a ton of space and the size and color were attractive :shobon: What kind did you get??? DEETS

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doc Fission posted:

Yeah I don't have a ton of space and the size and color were attractive :shobon: What kind did you get??? DEETS
I got the Yale blue with the classroom legs. I like the fabric and seat but I’m not crazy about the legs. My sofa from them is arriving Monday so depending on how that turns out, I may try to exchange the base for the wooden dowel one.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pondex posted:

A bit of DLC for the weekend

Is Rocksmith something that a musical dullard like me could use?
I seriously have ZERO musical talent but would love to be able to play a couple songs.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been using rocksmith on and off for like a decade now. It’s a cool way to get lots of sounds if you don’t have any kind of setup. The song tutorials are also great.

I’m a cheap lazy poo poo that has since moved on to garage band for that stuff but I’d still recommend it.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Inzombiac posted:

I seriously have ZERO musical talent but would love to be able to play a couple songs.

I grew up playing lots of instruments so ymmv on total beginner stuff, but I wasn't super experienced at guitar when I first bought Rocksmith and I would highly recommend the game if you're someone who has any interest in playing guitar. I'm not sure if it's a great way to learn without any supplemental materials, but the important thing is that it makes it much more fun to practice. And before anyone says anything, I know that playing songs isn't the same as practicing, but the actual "practice" modes in Rocksmith are decent and getting to work through playing songs you actually know with all the backing instrumentals and vocals makes it much easier to keep yourself from putting the guitar down and never touching it again.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Absolutely. It adjusts the difficulty to your skill-level.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The original Rocksmith was my gateway into learning bass and then guitar. I couldn't play either when I got it originally in 2012.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
All i do is buy streetwear clothing line T-shirts (and beer) now.

Got a couple Born x Raised for me n da wife and she went and got us some FoosGoneWild shirts too! Wowie!

It's like we're on the same wave length or sumthin..

Born x Raised site is currently down so i can't link them pics to my shirts. But they're cool! I swear!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got a bidet attachment as a housewarming gift and it's a life changer. Been a fan of them but never had my own. Shame that the hot water cools down rapidly in the line so it's always gonna be a bit cold.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Textbook :toot:

Plus about as much for the course at the local community college. Tuition is cheap, books are still a goddamn extortion racket.

I swore I wouldn't go back to school after spending way, way too much time on it already, but... Here we are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hey edu-buddy!

I bought a bunch of electronics components so I can go through the Learning the Art of Electronics lab course as self-study. I probably could have looked more closely and avoided buying another pack of mixed resistors, but hey I'm sure I'll use them at some point.

I haven't gone as far as mailing a cheque to get the big breadboard awesomeness, but it's pretty tempting. I mean look at this bad boy:

Also, perhaps somewhat related, I ordered it a little while ago but my World of Cyberpunk lore book finally arrived and I like it quite a bit.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Jiru posted:

Got a 100 years old retractile fountain pen for repairs and cleaning. Seller said "nib missing", so I am crossing my fingers that he didn't notice the retracted nib and it's just tucked inside. If not... oh well v:shobon:v

Finger-crossing worked! Here it is, nib included, after a bit of cleaning and polishing. No repairs as it works perfectly, which is always a grateful surprise for something so old :peanut:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A celtic coin:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bike parts

Skateboard

Not pictured: 12 cf of raised bed garden soil and an athletic supporter. Unrelated purposes.

Oh and also 16GB of old RAM and a 1TB SSD to prolong the life of my old desktop that I'm trying to avoid replacing for a while yet

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Two of these, in dark brown. Going to set them one on top of the other to replace a terrible shoe rack that can't fit anything.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mikl posted:

Two of these, in dark brown. Going to set them one on top of the other to replace a terrible shoe rack that can't fit anything.

Where'd you get these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where'd you get these?

I was wondering the same thing and image searched it.

Looks like it's a Bissa from Ikea.