Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

The only superhero who has any sort of professionalism is Black Noir.

He's doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ennis has this thing (esp. in The Boys) where it's less about Good vs. Evil than competence vs. incompetence.

Like the president for the first part of the comic is a Halliburton man who is not presented as a good person -- but he is portrayed positively because his response to The Boys' version of 9/11 was to preemptively place everything on high alert and when the planes were hijacked anyways to immediately shoot them down (except for one, but that was Vought's fault, not his)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yeah they're all too used to Vought setting them up fake villain fights.

Also the 7 who do end up dying in season 1 or have near miss incidents are pretty much due to their character flaws and arrogance.

Translucent has a arrogant personality and feels invincible like how he enjoyed gloating in his fight vs Butcher which caused his downfall.
His attempts at emotional manipulation almost pays off to help him escape but he ends up splattered all over a room.

A-train is basically a junkie who's past his prime and picked up lots of health problems over the years.

Mesmer sells out The Boys to Homelander but doesn't realize that Butcher had a good guess who betrayed him. His superpowers aren't helpful in the brutal bathroom beatdown scene.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

etalian posted:

The only superhero who has any sort of professionalism is Black Noir.
I would be on board with TV Black Noir being like Comic The Deep (basically a black guy in a dumb diving helmet getup) who takes one look at the carnage The Boys v The 7 is causing and goes "gently caress this I'm out"

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

That one is clearly The Deep.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

I would be on board with TV Black Noir being like Comic The Deep (basically a black guy in a dumb diving helmet getup) who takes one look at the carnage The Boys v The 7 is causing and goes "gently caress this I'm out"

Based on season 1 and the previews for S2, Black Noir seems to have no issues with carnage

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pattonesque posted:

Ennis has this thing (esp. in The Boys) where it's less about Good vs. Evil than competence vs. incompetence.

Like the president for the first part of the comic is a Halliburton man who is not presented as a good person -- but he is portrayed positively because his response to The Boys' version of 9/11 was to preemptively place everything on high alert and when the planes were hijacked anyways to immediately shoot them down (except for one, but that was Vought's fault, not his)

I'm curious if any of this will make it in the show with Vic the Veep being changed into an AoC analogue.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Based on season 1 and the previews for S2, Black Noir seems to have no issues with carnage

They already released this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L09zfsVYQz8

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

New s2 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8fFM1ZdWo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks so goddamned great

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So it looks like they're merging two characters together - Stormfront and the Russian Mob lady.

That's an interesting choice to make.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I am insanely hyped for this.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So it looks like they're merging two characters together - Stormfront and the Russian Mob lady.

That's an interesting choice to make.

I hope they change one big thing about the second part of that if so.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

seaborgium posted:

I hope they change one big thing about the second part of that if so.

You talking about the bomb in the dildo?

Because dear god, yes, please don't do that that was so loving stupid.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the spoiler temptation is too great for me to bear so unfortunately I will have to bid adieu to you all

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
So is Stormfront laser proof? She tells Homelander "Don't be a pussy, laser my tits" but she already had a chest wound so I'm not sure if he's cautererizing an existing wound or she's showing him he can't kill her. Also curious about the telekinesis guy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panfilo posted:

So is Stormfront laser proof? She tells Homelander "Don't be a pussy, laser my tits" but she already had a chest wound so I'm not sure if he's cautererizing an existing wound or she's showing him he can't kill her. Also curious about the telekinesis guy.

Seems like it's the former.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Seems like it's the former.

I thought either that or faking an injury

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Supreme Allah posted:

I thought either that or faking an injury

Yeah. Her thing seems to be recruiting an army of supes to fight evil terrorist supes while controlling both sides, so for that she needs super-power caused injuries to justify the escalation.

I'm guessing, I don't really know.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PostNouveau posted:

Because dear god, yes, please don't do that that was so loving stupid.

Exactly that. And now that I think about it there's already something similar in the first season that might cause them to consider it in the second.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Am I the only one who noticed (spoiler for comic readers) terror?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Looks like the Boys are getting an "11" character? I don't remember anything like that from the comic (especially cause the "unstable, dangerous and non comunicative diminutive woman" slot is already taken by The Female. Maybe they are going to make Kimiko a bit more of a character and they need a replacement.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
New clip -- this one has what may be considered some spoilers about the 7s group 'dynamic' but nothing major. Still still if you like to GO IN FRESH!! you may want to avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8I1-CmRF8

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Supreme Allah posted:

New clip -- this one has what may be considered some spoilers about the 7s group 'dynamic' but nothing major. Still still if you like to GO IN FRESH!! you may want to avoid

I like how in every clip Deep gets progressively more pathetic.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Panfilo posted:

I like how in every clip Deep gets progressively more pathetic.

I'm always reminded of the opening to the old cartoon network promo every time I see an Aquaman being useless

https://youtu.be/Q8d5688NiAo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Supreme Allah posted:

Definitely avoid, it sets up something that I had suspected but is now obvious.

I did like that even when the Deep is at his most pathetic, he still can't help but set up sexual innuendos with women. "My route (root) is long and hard", indeed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
"Human :females:" lmao. As opposed to what, Deep? All those female dolphins you never called back?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I first thought the use of "human" was just jank but I realise now that humans as a species are really a fraction of the social base that the deep currently has.

"Females" is obviously BC he's a fuckin creep

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
From the trailers so far there is a tiny bit of me worried that with Stormfront they are gonna go down the "woke lefty millenials are the real nazis" route. I am probably being an overly sensitive woke lefty millennial myself, but the haircut, the live streaming, explicit reference to Portland, the some of the protest signs amongst the crowd she gives a speech to, the #metoo support for starlight... I can't help feel it's gonna get weird and muddied when/if she turns around and lives up to her name. I do hope the script is cleverer than that, and its actually more a proud-boy / chan / edge-lord / alt-right vibe.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 7, 2020

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Desiderata posted:

From the trailers so far there is a tiny bit of me worried that with Stormfront they are gonna go down the "woke lefty millenials are the real nazis" route. I am probably being an overly sensitive woke lefty millennial myself, but the haircut, the live streaming, explicit reference to Portland, the some of the protest signs amongst the crowd she gives a speech to, the #metoo support for starlight... I can't help feel it's gonna get weird and muddied when/if she turns around and lives up to her name. I do hope the script is cleverer than that, and its actually more a proud-boy / chan / edge-lord / alt-right vibe.

Everything about her screams Laura Loomer to me.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Oh hell yes, let it be that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Interesting to see the Seven actually go out as a group and try to accomplish something together.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Desiderata posted:

I mean The Boys has been really smart so far and if they ended having some Bari Weiss/Michael Tracy style “libs” who are clearly on Stormfront’s side, that would track 1-to-1

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The guy who plays Black Noir has some of the best physical performances in the show, it's almost like a pantomime. Every motion is just slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect, he turns his muscles a little too fast, he pauses for just a little too long.

The Female feels almost staid in comparison. It's a shame, from watching the ComicCon@Home panel, Fukuhara's talents are wasted. Heck, looking at her filmography, Hollywood isn't giving her enough roles.

And on the note of that CC@Home panel, I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of A-Train. Usher plays such an selfish little poo poo that I completely failed to appreciate the craft that went into such a character: I had to have it explained to my dumb rear end.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Desiderata posted:

It’s absolutely the latter, in my opinion.
Portland’s surrounding area is full of Proud Boys and that dogshit Patriot Prayer organization. If they were lookin’ for a real city with the exact edgelord white supremacist type as Stormfront, unfortunately Portland is it.

Love to be from here and have to explain that, yep, despite the “Portlandia” stereotype (🤮) it’s a wildly chuddy area.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean if you are even just the teensiest bit read up on the history Oregon you can see why. It was literally meant to be Israel for the Aryan race.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Supreme Allah posted:

I am very very surprised that Homelander let Deep hug him. Even if they're in public and he has to uphold his goody two shoes act.

Phobophilia posted:

The guy who plays Black Noir has some of the best physical performances in the show, it's almost like a pantomime. Every motion is just slightly exaggerated for dramatic effect, he turns his muscles a little too fast, he pauses for just a little too long.

The Female feels almost staid in comparison. It's a shame, from watching the ComicCon@Home panel, Fukuhara's talents are wasted. Heck, looking at her filmography, Hollywood isn't giving her enough roles.

And on the note of that CC@Home panel, I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of A-Train. Usher plays such an selfish little poo poo that I completely failed to appreciate the craft that went into such a character: I had to have it explained to my dumb rear end.

Black Noir is so so good.

What did they say about A-train in the CC panel?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Annie is back to slutty costume. Punishment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As a chemistry teacher I'm still mad about episode 2. There are so many ways to asphyxiate someone, people do it to themselves by accident. Buy some dry ice! Buy some ethyl acetate, or acetone, or whatever! You have the guy in a small room, just dump ten cans of acetone on the floor and shut the door. He'll be dead in half an hour. But noooooo

edit: spray some paint on his face and they'll call it an overdose, bing boom so simple!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 8, 2020