Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Whatever the people these explosives were seized from were planning would've been much less destructive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shame on an IGA posted:

Whatever the people these explosives were seized from were planning would've been much less destructive

can you imagine the scene in the terrorist bunkers, watching that explosion on TV and screaming about how those were their explosives leveling beirut?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RFC2324 posted:

can you imagine the scene in the terrorist bunkers, watching that explosion on TV and screaming about how those were their explosives leveling beirut?

"THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED ABU HAJJAR!"

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

RFC2324 posted:

Broke: blow things up to somehow accomplish political goals.
Woke: trick authorities into finding and confiscating your explosives.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.
I've been seeing reports that it wasn't explosives per se, but fertilizer. I seem to recall a town in Texas got flattened in a similar manner within the last decade or so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Raerlynn posted:

I've been seeing reports that it wasn't explosives per se, but fertilizer. I seem to recall a town in Texas got flattened in a similar manner within the last decade or so.

that was 7 years ago?!

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Milo and POTUS posted:

that was 7 years ago?!

Looked it up, yeah April 2013. The town of West, in Texas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Texas has a long history of cities being leveled by fertilizer going back to 1947.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Raerlynn posted:

Looked it up, yeah April 2013. The town of West, in Texas.

Which, ironically, is not in West Texas.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which, ironically, is not in West Texas.

But does have some killer kolaches at the Chech Stop

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

TCD posted:

Diesel depot and fertilizer storage would be a bingo.

Only if they were across the street from a Volatile Chemicals store.

"Come on down to Volatile Chemicals for our annual Shakey Sale! This week only, mercury fulminate 20% off of MSRP! Nitroglycerin, 15% off! TATP, 99% off! So walk slowly and carefully, don't run, down to Volatile Chemicals, your low cost extreme hazard leader!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

RFC2324 posted:

Hell yeah

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/NYPDCT/status/1290696239915433985?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

RFC2324 posted:

It's very funny to me that Slovacek's and Czech Stop are like.. across the highway from each other. Plus Gerik's in town. I used to drive through that area about once a month, and it was a natural stopping point both vehicle range-wise as well as snacks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

RFC2324 posted:

That place is a national treasure.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Usually you shouldn't read the responses to a tweet, but this time you should read the responses. They're not super ratio'd yet but...

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

I want to know what the NYPD counterterrorism unit would have done to stop 9/11 from happening if they had existed before 9/11. I'm guessing jack and/or poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A Bad Poster posted:

I want to know what the NYPD counterterrorism unit would have done to stop 9/11 from happening if they had existed before 9/11. I'm guessing jack and/or poo poo.

I'd imagine they're constantly looking for angles to justify the over-funding of their department.

"FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE! ...you know, other than the 7-8 lines *before* us. GIB MONEES PLZ!"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

I really have to wonder what these cheese dicks think they are doing that the military, law enforcement, and intelligence communities don’t already do more and better.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Midjack posted:

I really have to wonder what these cheese dicks think they are doing that the military, law enforcement, and intelligence communities don’t already do more and better.
Don't you see the eagle on their patch?? Come on, man.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

They may have gotten lucky and police brutalitied one of the people by accident?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Midjack posted:

inspiring cosplayers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohKUAlkaypg

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

The counterterrorism division oversees a range of activities including:

The Technology and Construction Section which designs counterterrorism projects spends city money on IT stuff and sends personnel all over the world to 'learn from the best' on what equate to paid vacations because FREEDOM! Also hacking the phones of wives and exes.
The Training Section which provides counterterrorism training about how best to bullshit the city for more funds and give the mayor the ability to feel like he's more than just a big city's mayor.
The Threat Reduction Infrastructure Protection Section (TRIPS) which develops specific defensive strategies for various locations in the city and how best to position themselves for lucrative post-LEO jobs with the same contractors they're colluding with.
The Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Section which conducts tests and research on new counterterrorism technologies which will never be used because if there ever is a major CBRN threat these guys will be the first to get out of the city with their families.
The Maritime Team, which designs counterterrorism systems for the city's harbors, this includes the Tactical Radiological Acquisition Characterization System (TRACS) which maps background radiation and likely helps organized crime smuggle poo poo in.
The NYPD SHIELD Unit which provides information and training to the public on counterterrorism because if there's one thing the NYPD is stellar at, it's information sharhahahahahsdfhsdfhjdhsfshdhahahahahahaahahahah!!!!!
The Emergency Preparedness and Exercise Section, which liaises with the NYC Office of Emergency Management the same one that Rudy HQed in the World Trade Center.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 4, 2020

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidADaoud/status/1290744515897241609

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Who's going to think to look for a HE warehouse along the waterfront of a major city?

facialimpediment posted:

Please continue boomtalk, but a quick interruption:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1290692768675901440?s=19

https://twitter.com/NickRiccardi/status/1290695927804694530?s=19

He's hosed himself from using a vote-by-mail system well-honed by Republicans over years in Florida and only now realized it. Carry on!

Remember: delaying elections is a good thing unless it's Hong Kong, at which point it's bad.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Defenestrategy posted:

Wouldnt you not want your impounded he silo to be in densley populated areas?

Are you familiar with dangerous chemical and or explosive handling techniques in non 1st world countries? Because they don't loving exist. Neither does OSHA. Throw in a few lazy bureaucrats and you're sitting on a seized stockpile of poo poo no one is paid enough to make safe or handle properly. We're talking parts of the world that if they have a regulatory agency, they're actively worse than any of the ones in the US.

Torching off a pile of volatile poo poo because of a wielder is pretty par for the course. I'm surprised more parts of the world aren't on fire from industrial grade fuckups.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ahahahaha because OF COURSE it's a welder who did no safety protocols

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ahahahaha because OF COURSE it's a welder who did no safety protocols

drat, talk about a self-correcting problem. Dude corrected what looked like a square half-mile.

Edit: gently caress, reported injuries approaching 3k.

https://twitter.com/davidalexander5/status/1290750122578644993?s=20

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to wait before I buy in on that because anyone with firsthand knowledge of what was going on is dead.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thousands of injured :stare:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This Beirut explosion has been kind of tough for me to watch in real time. My wife and I spent a loving unimaginably glorious time vacationing in Beirut when we were broke-rear end English teachers in Egypt a decade ago, and stayed at a hostel right by the port. Two of the biggest night life and funnest neighborhoods- Gemmayzeh and Ashrafiyeh- are located right there, and have apparently suffered heavy damage. I have to wonder if the small hostel where we stayed is even there anymore. A good friend and trusted colleague is Lebanese and she spent her day calling her aunt, who verified that the hospital that she works in is very damaged and overrun with patients, but she and the other nuns survived.

On a professional level, another security officer at another U.N. agency different than mine that I went through a training course with years ago was briefly stuck under rubble but managed to dig himself out to render aid to others who were injured. Photos of his destroyed office make it clear that if it weren’t for the shatter-resistant film on the exterior windows, he’d probably be dead. Everyone from my organization is OK, but our security guy went from making sure our people were good to going back and volunteering with the Red Cross to provide medical treatment to other casualties.

Lebanon is a beautiful, beautiful country, the Lebanese are a friendly and resilient people and Beirut is a gem of a city. My exposure to this trauma is minimal beyond calling to check in on a sobbing woman who was concerned about her (thankfully OK) family and obviously I’m personally fine, but I gotta say this is hard to watch unfold in real time.

Gonna go hug my doggy now.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thousands of injured :stare:

Seems like a lot of them are (comparatively) superficial injuries from glass, from all the windows getting blown out

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Seems like a lot of them are (comparatively) superficial injuries from glass, from all the windows getting blown out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf7QFC5NpFA

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/HachemYassin/st...ingawful.com%2F

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If the death numbers stay that low we will be really lucky from how much got shattered

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Doing mad soy face going "so, I did a thing" about coups

https://twitter.com/chrismurphyct/status/1290656459496263687?s=21

So apparently

a) the Venezuela stuff with trying to pretend Guaido was the president was, in fact, a coup

b) the dem party line on this is that Trump is not being aggressive enough in foreign policy. The problem isn't the coup, it's that it wasn't successful

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Alrighty, time for a diversion.

Donnie shitcanned a particular USAID appointee yesterday, a woman who was even too nuts for the administration. On her way out the door, she hit all the anti-gay, anti-trans hot buttons possible, very clearly setting herself up for a grift.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1290398351167500289?s=19

The grift was announcing a presser with Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman in a now-deleted tweet. Also, she confirmed that she was dating Jacob Wohl :barf:

Wait, did I type dating? I meant "being held hostage by".

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1290761849391251459?s=19

https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1290766444054097920?s=19

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Ammonium nitrate is no loving joke, and it has to be stored properly or it will go up. There’s a reason most ports won’t touch the stuff.

2,700 ton is enough to keep a medium sized hard rock mine stocked in ANFO explosives for about a year.

Or, you know, fertilizers.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Best Friends posted:

So apparently

a) the Venezuela stuff with trying to pretend Guaido was the president was, in fact, a coup

b) the dem party line on this is that Trump is not being aggressive enough in foreign policy. The problem isn't the coup, it's that it wasn't successful

Correct, and they've been consistent on this message. Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Bolivia, China...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
welp, we're invading lebanon now

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1290776609570529280