Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

No Wave posted:

What are the vintage-relevant creatures from the past three years? Dreadhorde Arcanist, Thassa's Oracle, Emry, and a few other random cards here and there? I don't know much about Vintage but creatures that are "too strong" generally don't make it, it's role players that interact with much more broken mechanics like Stitches Supplier.

Like Uro is a very very stupid card but it's not the kind of strong that makes it to Vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Interesting to think how different the companion stuff would have gone down with regular paper play still on, instead of primarily on digital platforms.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I feel like just complaining about their passive is only half the argument. Putting their passive on an artifact, creature, or enchantment is not the same as putting it on a permanent type that's traditionally difficult to answer on top of a card type that generates even more advantage the longer it lives. On top of that, original teferi was a finisher and wasn't meant to be played turn 3 that shapes the rest of the game.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Interesting to think how different the companion stuff would have gone down with regular paper play still on, instead of primarily on digital platforms.

About five-six years ago I'd have wondered the same, but between the ubiquity of Arena and the increasing prevalence of people just netdecking top decks at even the local shop level, I kinda gotta say "about the same."

We've left the era where decks like RtR/Theros U/W/b Control is priced out of the average player's hands- invested players are older and spending more. A standard deck that ran $400+ in paper like Dark Jeskai with Baby Jace was a rarity around my shop back then. Now, before the Plague Lands settled in, plenty of the local players were on Bant Ramp or Temur Reclamation, with most of the more budget folk on RDW or Cat Food. If a deck is a problem online and a problem at sanctioned play, it's probably a problem at your local shop too.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 5, 2020

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bant Approach featuring Uro!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
ya i've been shocked by how much money folks seem to still be throwing at mtg, the user base is a lot larger and a lot more free spending than I assume

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

What are the vintage-relevant creatures from the past three years? Dreadhorde Arcanist, Thassa's Oracle, Emry, and a few other random cards here and there? I don't know much about Vintage but creatures that are "too strong" generally don't make it, it's role players that interact with much more broken mechanics like Stitches Supplier.

Like Uro is a very very stupid card but it's not the kind of strong that makes it to Vintage.

most of the creatures currently played in vintage are from the last few years. see: arcanist, oracle, emry, hollow one, lavinia, ouphe, lutri, oracle, hogaak, golos, etc etc

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

uggy posted:

ya i've been shocked by how much money folks seem to still be throwing at mtg, the user base is a lot larger and a lot more free spending than I assume

I’ve been playing magic for a really long time, and one thing I learn over and over every time I find a new playgroup is that for many magic fans, Magic is simply one hobby, but for some people magic is not just their only hobby, it’s possibly their only interest whatsoever. There are people whose entire entertainment budget is MtG products and events and patreons, and they basically never waver or grow out of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve been playing magic for a really long time, and one thing I learn over and over every time I find a new playgroup is that for many magic fans, Magic is simply one hobby, but for some people magic is not just their only hobby, it’s possibly their only interest whatsoever. There are people whose entire entertainment budget is MtG products and events and patreons, and they basically never waver or grow out of it.

Yeah I think this is the difference between a hobby, and "fandom" - fanatics are fanatical about their stuff, that's where the term 'fan' originates. What I'm getting at is this isn't unique to Magic, there are people whose entire lives revolve around their singular fandom interest, for every fandom you can think of and a bunch more you can't think of.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The only card banned from Vintage for power level reasons.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only card banned from Vintage for power level reasons.

If only they'd gone ahead and done the global companion nerf first, maybe they wouldn't have had to have the black mark of banning a card from Vintage for the first time. Would it be fair in Vintage now if they unbanned it with the 3 mana tax?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

If only they'd gone ahead and done the global companion nerf first, maybe they wouldn't have had to have the black mark of banning a card from Vintage for the first time. Would it be fair in Vintage now if they unbanned it with the 3 mana tax?

No.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Bust Rodd posted:

My friends and brother and I have been playing magic for like 8-20 years and we have a power cube we draft and poo poo and we played it this last year with some newer players who had never cubed in paper and they were so much more invested in magic than I was, it was quite shocking. I’ve had some times where I don’t play a ton but I’ve been sorta keeping up with standard, modern and legacy for almost a decade now. Magic is something I love and for sure a main hobby, but drat I am not close enough to so many folks when it comes to fandom. Twitch streams are wild since it’s clear some folks watch streams more each week than I do in like 3 months.

Also if folks know an easy way to take a cubetutor or cube cobra list and draft it online amongst friends, I’m all ears

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Probably not considering all the poo poo it can pull and the still near-zero opportunity cost of including it. It wouldn't be the unholy terror it was when it could be cast off of a single lotus that it then recurs, one of its many many power plays.

But decks still run Lutri despite the nerf.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

uggy posted:

Also if folks know an easy way to take a cubetutor or cube cobra list and draft it online amongst friends, I’m all ears

There's https://github.com/walkingeyerobot/r38 if you feel like putting in a little work to get it up and running.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Probably not considering all the poo poo it can pull and the still near-zero opportunity cost of including it. It wouldn't be the unholy terror it was when it could be cast off of a single lotus that it then recurs, one of its many many power plays.

But decks still run Lutri despite the nerf.

I'd always heard that they really only test for limited and Standard and don't really bother doing any proper playtesting for older formats, but companions are what made me really believe it.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

uggy posted:

Sure.

Use dr4ft for the actual draft. You can create a new room and select cube as the type then you can straight up enter the cube cobra ID and it pulls it over for you. Just link your friends to the room.

One you finish the draft and make your decks download them from dr4ft and move to the Cockatrice app on the Rooster Ranges server, then make games and play against one another. Games can be passworded to avoid randos popping in, just communicate the password on your Discord or whatever.

If you have trouble with any part of that let me know, I tend to think it's straightforward but I've been using it for a while so my judgment may be off.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Grifter posted:

Sure.

Use dr4ft for the actual draft. You can create a new room and select cube as the type then you can straight up enter the cube cobra ID and it pulls it over for you. Just link your friends to the room.

One you finish the draft and make your decks download them from dr4ft and move to the Cockatrice app on the Rooster Ranges server, then make games and play against one another. Games can be passworded to avoid randos popping in, just communicate the password on your Discord or whatever.

If you have trouble with any part of that let me know, I tend to think it's straightforward but I've been using it for a while so my judgment may be off.

wow jesus i had looked at dr4ft but was trying to upload a custom cube instead of finding the cube button that you said to use.

That wasn't hard at all, but if I run into issues, I'll let you know. Thanks!

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Would anyone be bored enough tomorrow to maybe coach me through a core 2021 draft? I've never drafted before and I hardly know the game, but I want to get better and I don't just want to buy packs.

Also I looked but may have missed it, is there a dedicated Arena thread?

If you're up for it send me a gmail! (same username)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nitramster posted:

Also I looked but may have missed it, is there a dedicated Arena thread?

yeah it's under games, not trad games

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897805

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

the foil borderless urza lands are already 29$, meddling mage is 12 and Expedition map is down to $17. And this is just with the supply from people cracking boxes before the release date. When these cards actually hit people's hands and these cards flood the market its going to be real ugly.

I feel bad for anyone that bought one of these things lol. The foil box toppers are going to be way more common than just the regular foil rares/mythics. Its so bizarre how they decided to make this product to me.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Aug 5, 2020

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

the foil borderless urza lands are already 29$, meddling mage is 12 and Expedition map is down to $17. And this is just with the supply from people cracking boxes before the release date. When these cards actually hit people's hands and these cards flood the market its going to be real ugly.

I feel bad for anyone that bought one of these things lol. The foil box toppers are going to be way more common than just the regular foil rares/mythics. Its so bizarre how they decided to make this product to me.

So the problem now is that the cool cards people want are too common and inexpensive????

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tainen posted:

So the problem now is that the cool cards people want are too common and inexpensive????

the problem is that wotc is selling a pack for a 100 dollars to gambling addicts.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

the problem is that wotc is selling a pack for a 100 dollars to gambling addicts.

Well hopefully the less than 1% of people who would buy a $100 pack of magic cards learn their lesson quickly and the other 99% of people can enjoy their cheap reprints with cool arts.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wish they'd banned heliod instead of ballista in pioneer. Ballista is a busted card but I was hoping to move towards a weird simic ascendancy deck with the ozolith. Maybe BUG so i could push blightbeetles.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Some folks on Twitter seem to think they banned Balista instead of Heliod because he is an in-print Mythic Rare and WotC would never do that unless it’s an Oko level emergency.

I think it’s because Balista is clearly a problematic card that scales to effectively and goes in every deck, but I’m not a pro, and maybe I’m way off base.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Tainen posted:

Cards cratering is good, WotC barring a (presumably) sick Draft experience behind a 270€ box which ends up holding 100€ in "value" is not.

Tainen posted:

Well hopefully the less than 1% of people who would buy a $100 pack of magic cards learn their lesson quickly

That's not how addiction works.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Bust Rodd posted:

Some folks on Twitter seem to think they banned Balista instead of Heliod because he is an in-print Mythic Rare and WotC would never do that unless it’s an Oko level emergency.

I think it’s because Balista is clearly a problematic card that scales to effectively and goes in every deck, but I’m not a pro, and maybe I’m way off base.

Ballista is 100% a problematic card. I can also see the not wanting to ban heliod line, but ditching ballista now probably saves them from it becoming a problem later.

Indestructible enchantments like the gods suck though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Today is August 5th, the date that Magic the Gathering was officially released at GenCon ‘93! Today is essentially Magic’s 27th birthday!

Hell yeah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

it really bothers me that two of them are plural but the others are not and I do not know why

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 5, 2020

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

It bothers me more that they decided to use not-Plains, not-Island and not-Mountain to showcase the current style lol. Even the Swamp is sketchy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bust Rodd posted:

Today is August 5th, the date that Magic the Gathering was officially released at GenCon ‘93! Today is essentially Magic’s 27th birthday!

Hell yeah

i would play that first set of lands on arena

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

i would play that first set of lands on arena

I was actually logging in to buy them because I assumed that's where the screengrab was from.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Double Masters hasn't even released yet. Do you think a foil topper is going to be more common than regular foils after everyone starts opening boxes?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's how it's worked for the last few collector's boxes. Like how the foil showcase triomes are more common than regular border since there's like a 1 in 25 chance of them appearing in a collectors pack but regular border has to compete with every other rare.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brownhat posted:

Double Masters hasn't even released yet. Do you think a foil topper is going to be more common than regular foils after everyone starts opening boxes?

There is not a doubt in my mind that the foils will be cheaper than the non-foils. You get nearly 4 foil toppers for the price of 1 non-foil. The foil market is so saturated right now that there were m21 cards that were chearper in foil because of collectors boosters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is not a doubt in my mind that the foils will be cheaper than the non-foils. You get nearly 4 foil toppers for the price of 1 non-foil. The foil market is so saturated right now that there were m21 cards that were chearper in foil because of collectors boosters.

also, because foils are an inferior product due to curving

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

This reminds me of how when the original Zen full-art lands came out, people went out of their way to get the regular-frame versions just because they only came out of fat packs and were rarer.

They cost basically the same on SCG now, which is essentially nothing.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 5, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really appreciate how three of Richard's first set of lands are just "Tree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Bust Rodd posted:

I really appreciate how three of Richard's first set of lands are just "Tree"

Tree near water, tree touching water, tree away from water.