Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kheldarn posted:

If you have an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription, you'll be able to stream games to your Android 6.0+ device come September 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCtXJUekyo

So... It's Stadia, but Microsoft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
6+ is an impressive list of supported os versions

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stadia with a pretty good selection of games and a different streaming tech using their xcloud stuff I presume. Also it's included with the existing gamepass subscription so you can still download and play games locally on your xbox/pc but also have this as an option. It's probably going to be terrible for all the same reasons why Stadia is bad but at least there's good games to play on there.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Nvidia one streamed really well so if Microsoft is close to that this is a good step. Plus the Game Pass is already a hell of a deal, though ultimate I think is 15 a month instead of 5.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Game streaming still seems stupid for me unless you have a really good internet connection. Even then it's wireless, so easy to get interference.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even then it's wireless, so easy to get interference.
This is true, but not nearly as huge a deal with 5 GHz wifi as it was with 2.4. I stream stuff via Steam-link through two floors without trouble.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MonsieurChoc posted:

Game streaming still seems stupid for me unless you have a really good internet connection. Even then it's wireless, so easy to get interference.

It has negative latency

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ace 10 in You Must Build a Boat is kicking my rear end haha. Got stuck on ~2 challenges on 9, but this is an absolute slog. Kinda love it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Harminoff posted:

It has negative latency

The game knows what buttons I press before I press them? drat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The game knows what buttons I press before I press them? drat.

You joke, but in some instances yeah. With google I wouldn't be surprised using AI to predicatively assume what data is going to be similar and to prioritize that, hell, Windows does that a bit with regards to opening apps and caching that information for later.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Kheldarn posted:

If you have an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription, you'll be able to stream games to your Android 6.0+ device come September 15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KCtXJUekyo

I'm currently in the alpha for this and I can say it's a lot better than I expected. The input lag was noticeable, but it didn't prevent me from playing Destiny 2 just fine. Forza Horizons 4 was a little worse, but I could still get around fine. It definitely works a lot better on home wifi, but both xcloud and game streaming from my Xbox work very well.

I have yet to test it out on my new 5g phone, but I can tell you the older your device is, the harder of a time it will have with the stream. They've since updated the app a lot and are working on a virtual touchpad alleviating the need for a controller.

The guys at 8bitdo are making a new smaller controller alongside Microsoft so you don't have to carry around a huge Xbox controller everywhere. It will also come with a clip for your phone. The official Microsoft clip is fantastic in general as you can redistribute the weight of your phone however is most comfortable for you.

All in all its definitely fun and works way better than expected, and it's getting better every day. I'd even pay for this service separately if they deliver on their promises, which they have so far. We'll see.

I can try to answer questions about it if anyone is interested.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are game saves stored on the cloud? If I start playing something on my PC can I continue through xCloud. I think as of now on Gamepass saves are still stored locally so I didn't know if this was something they were taking into account or what the deal is.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Because it's tied to your Xbox account, it should all carry over to whatever you're playing on. I think this is exclusive to the Xbox system and not PC games though. I've heard people playing games through the Xbox app on their PC having issues with it carrying over, but anything that's on your home console and xcloud service will for sure.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If I don't have an Xbox, does that will limit what I can play/do?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

If I don't have an Xbox, does that will limit what I can play/do?

Yes. Without an Xbox, you're limited to games on game pass, but it's still a hugely impressive list of very good games you'll have access to.

I should also note there are two functions to this app. Xcloud, and game streaming. Xcloud has a ton of game pass games you play from the cloud, game streaming is literally connecting to your home Xbox and playing whatever you have on it. Dashboard and all, it's just like having your Xbox in your pocket.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Because it's tied to your Xbox account, it should all carry over to whatever you're playing on. I think this is exclusive to the Xbox system and not PC games though. I've heard people playing games through the Xbox app on their PC having issues with it carrying over, but anything that's on your home console and xcloud service will for sure.

Eh, bummer. I was worried that the PC > XCloud cross saves probably wouldn't be as good or exist at all compared to Xbox > Xcloud. You also mentioned the official phone clip for the controller being good because you can redistribute the weight, what's the deal with that? I bought one of the 8bitdo clips for my phone and find it obnoxious as hell to use for an extended period of time because it's so goddamn top heavy.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

explosivo posted:

Eh, bummer. I was worried that the PC > XCloud cross saves probably wouldn't be as good or exist at all compared to Xbox > Xcloud. You also mentioned the official phone clip for the controller being good because you can redistribute the weight, what's the deal with that? I bought one of the 8bitdo clips for my phone and find it obnoxious as hell to use for an extended period of time because it's so goddamn top heavy.

The official Microsoft one lets you position the phone directly over the controller, or off the top of it like most controller clips.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/powera-moga-mobile-gaming-clip-for-xbox/8rtf503l2pl9?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

It doesn't fit the first gen Xbox pro controllers super well, as it covers up the sync button a bit, but it works perfectly on the 2nd gen elite and Xbox one s controller.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo that looks much better than the 8bitdo clip.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

It's really nice. It doesn't work too great if you have a pop socket in your phone, but it will grab onto the pop as opposed to your case. As long as you don't flail around when you play games it's fine.

The adjusting knobs can be tightened down so the weight of the phone doesn't click it out of position which is really nice.

This is the controller 8bitdo is making for the service with Microsoft:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/7/6/21314393/microsoft-xcloud-xbox-controller-8bitdo-sn30-pro-service

It seems pricey for what it is, and seeing as how you can buy a used xbox 1s controller cheaper than that, not sure what purpose it would fill, but there ya go.

Edit: it looks like it might ship with the Microsoft clip, which in that case would be an alright deal with a smaller controller with a reported 18 hour battery life.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 5, 2020

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The official Microsoft one lets you position the phone directly over the controller, or off the top of it like most controller clips.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/powera-moga-mobile-gaming-clip-for-xbox/8rtf503l2pl9?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

It doesn't fit the first gen Xbox pro controllers super well, as it covers up the sync button a bit, but it works perfectly on the 2nd gen elite and Xbox one s controller.

Just grabbed one of these from Walmart for $13. Thanks for the recommendation! Not I can properly play some dead cells and Pascal's wager!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You joke, but in some instances yeah. With google I wouldn't be surprised using AI to predicatively assume what data is going to be similar and to prioritize that, hell, Windows does that a bit with regards to opening apps and caching that information for later.

they don't, that's a wildly more complex idea than "you might use this app soon." their pitch was that the controller would be connected via WiFi which in theory could cut down on latency if the controller had to go to the box then to Stadia but in most cases you're dealing with 2x the latency of running natively.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, is You Must Build a Boat incredible! I got it over a year ago and didn't give it much time. If this is you, check it out again give it a full 10-20 minutes.

I think I've got a handle on all of the other systems, beyond the general puzzle board gameplay. Great stuff.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow, is You Must Build a Boat incredible! I got it over a year ago and didn't give it much time. If this is you, check it out again give it a full 10-20 minutes.

I think I've got a handle on all of the other systems, beyond the general puzzle board gameplay. Great stuff.

Its a great game, and i need them to make a new game

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I bought their Photographs when it was new ... and have yet to even try it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Are there other games like YMBAB with a similar Atari / C64 art style ? It looks really good on phones.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

teethgrinder posted:

It’s pretty good! Solid collection of minigames which do a good job switching up the mechanics and using them to tell short stories.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If you haven't played 10000000 it's the same game with a different meta

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If you haven't played 10000000 it's the same game with a different meta

Ahh poo poo why'd you say this? just booted it up again and opps that's an hour gone

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is "match 38 staff tiles" in YMBAB impossible?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

teethgrinder posted:

Eh, I got 3/4 through it and soured on it. It's a super emotionally manipulative bum fest. Maybe someone who's finished it can change my mind.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Thundercracker posted:

Eh, I got 3/4 through it and soured on it. It's a super emotionally manipulative bum fest. Maybe someone who's finished it can change my mind.

when you finish it you can go back and try to get "good" endings (i forget if they were actually good, prob not)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hooah posted:

Why is "match 38 staff tiles" in YMBAB impossible?
Some of the missions are really fussy or you just get really unlucky with what's on the board.

Do you have the pub unlocked? You could drink the potion that gives you more staff tiles...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teethgrinder posted:

Some of the missions are really fussy or you just get really unlucky with what's on the board.

Do you have the pub unlocked? You could drink the potion that gives you more staff tiles...

Not yet. I'm now hell, so one quest is to the pub.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Lone Goat posted:

when you finish it you can go back and try to get "good" endings (i forget if they were actually good, prob not)

I think my eyes rolled out of my head with the diver section She gets caught doping for college level competition, and gets up homeless under a bridge because everyone cares about college diving and no one would even give her a menial job afterwards It's so hamfisted and the gameplay was on the nose as well.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Is Soda Dungeon 2 worse than 1? I played one, enjoyed myself, and then remembered there was a sequel. Downloaded to try it out, and it seems like it just added extra bullshit that isn't fun. Less items from dungeon crawling, so you have to buy or craft stuff. Does it get better, or am I missing something to make it an upgrade?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Braking Gnus posted:

Is Soda Dungeon 2 worse than 1? I played one, enjoyed myself, and then remembered there was a sequel. Downloaded to try it out, and it seems like it just added extra bullshit that isn't fun. Less items from dungeon crawling, so you have to buy or craft stuff. Does it get better, or am I missing something to make it an upgrade?

I had some fun with it but it definitely gets very samey very quickly, if you're not feeling it now I think you can stop here. I'm not sure if it's worse than 1 but I don't think there's enough to distinguish it from the original to keep me interested in it for more than a couple hours.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.
Hey shop titans thread, if any of the goon guilds have room for someone who started playing yesterday, I'd appreciate an invite - Eminai#85700

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Braking Gnus posted:

Nope, crafting adds an unfun layer of poo poo to the game

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Braking Gnus posted:

I actually started playing this yesterday. I remember enjoying SD1 and getting bored with the endgame grind. I think I just hit that point and I'm only on Dimension 3 of SD2. It suffers from being an idle game that I actually have to have my phone on which is the height of stupidity. I can't progress further than the farthess I've progressed because of how the offline mechanic works. It was fun at first but it's rapidly gone to tedium so I'm probably gonna quit soon. The quest rewards don't really scale either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Eminai posted:

Hey shop titans thread, if any of the goon guilds have room for someone who started playing yesterday, I'd appreciate an invite - Eminai#85700

Sent!