Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly at this point I'm just settling in for the long wait for one or more of the following to happen;

1) more info on Legendary Gundam

2) the next AU series

3) us getting an actually good game for the franchise that isn't a strategy game

As I'm incredibly burnt out on the Build franchise cause they long ago stopped doing things with it that I actually find interesting, and most of the other things they've been doing the last couple of years have been dead ends for me as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aren't they doing Unicorn 2, and it's going to be an hour long prime time drama in the style of western prestige TV? I think I remember them announcing that like five years ago

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

Was Kira born in Japan? I can't find confirmation either way on that one.

I know Shiro's a Spacenoid, at least. Side 2 born and bred. (Domon's spaceborn too, but Neo Japan is pretty much just Japan in Space, unlike the colonies in First Gundam, so it counts well enough.)

If we're counting Japanese heritage, I'd think Mikazuki Augus would at least be worth bringing up. The setting's far enough in the future that him being a poor Martian had much more relevance than where his long dead great grandparents were born, but there's a couple scenes where it comes up.

Kira was born in a tube aboard a space colony, but both his biological parents and his adoptive parents were ORB nationals. ORB is SEED's extremely thinly veiled Japan stand-in.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 5, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

Aren't they doing Unicorn 2, and it's going to be an hour long prime time drama in the style of western prestige TV? I think I remember them announcing that like five years ago

The live action drama is apparently a separate thing from both Unicorn and the Legendary film. Hathaway's Flash and Unicorn 2 are the only two confirmed projects they have announced though, yes. That said, there is speculation that Moon Gundam will be getting an animated adaption at some point given that (a) it's based on a Fukui work, and he's their current cash-cow, and (b) it's the only other work featured in Lalah's vision about things that UC hasn't experienced yet during the recent Light of Life OVA that isn't definitely getting an animated installed soon; the other works being the aforementioned Hathaway's Flash and Unicorn.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A lot of the time you'll see official designations being written in Western order as if they were foreign names (キラ・ヤマト), which imparts the sense that they live/work in a highly globalized setting even if they have a nominally Japanese origin.

This actually does include G Gundam for Japanese characters. There may be kanji for Kasshu somewhere in a series bible but I don't believe it's ever used.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Kira was born in a tube aboard a space colony, but both his biological parents and his adoptive parents were ORB nationals. ORB is SEED's extremely thinly veiled Japan stand-in.
and also the man's name is Kira Yamato.

Good point on how the names are written, though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Moon has some of Ippei Gyobus best work so I would be extremely into that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

The live action drama is apparently a separate thing from both Unicorn and the Legendary film. Hathaway's Flash and Unicorn 2 are the only two confirmed projects they have announced though, yes. That said, there is speculation that Moon Gundam will be getting an animated adaption at some point given that (a) it's based on a Fukui work, and he's their current cash-cow, and (b) it's the only other work featured in Lalah's vision about things that UC hasn't experienced yet during the recent Light of Life OVA that isn't definitely getting an animated installed soon; the other works being the aforementioned Hathaway's Flash and Unicorn.

I thought the live action drama thing was just confusion, they said that Unicorn 2 would be like a western drama in style, and people erroneously thought that meant it was going to be live action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caphi posted:

A lot of the time you'll see official designations being written in Western order as if they were foreign names (キラ・ヤマト), which imparts the sense that they live/work in a highly globalized setting even if they have a nominally Japanese origin.

This actually does include G Gundam for Japanese characters. There may be kanji for Kasshu somewhere in a series bible but I don't believe it's ever used.

I haven't been able to look through every name, but (weirdly enough) Setsuna is one of the few Gundam leads I've found (along with Mika, naturally) who has kanji used in his name. (Well, codename. سوران إبراهيم obviously isn't kanji.)

Don't know what the logic was there, but it's mildly interesting, considering Setsuna's not remotely Japanese.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

and also the man's name is Kira Yamato.

Good point on how the names are written, though.

It's kind of weird how Kira Yamato is a relatively normal sounding name and then everyone else has Extremely Weird Gundam Names.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Should I, uh, feel at all compelled to watch Build Divers first if I'm interested in Re:Rise?

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Colin Nander is about as close to an asiatic culture that Turn A got which made no sense to me since he's from the moon (sort of), presumably has been in cryosleep since Gundam Wing, and shows up in a red body suit. But lose one fight to Mustache and you're walking around in a straw hat and are a monk.

drrockso20 posted:

3) us getting an actually good game for the franchise that isn't a strategy game

How was SD Xross (Cross? Xcross??) Rays? I've been itching for a Gundam game but it basically had zero of my favorite suits in it and the ones I do like were DLC. Extreme Versus[etc] that came out a few days ago a) looked fun and b) looked like it was illusory fun and instead I'd spend my time getting creamed either by US nerds flying around in Lupus Rex or obscure Japan ace pilots in like, something out of a series I'd never seen before.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Should I, uh, feel at all compelled to watch Build Divers first if I'm interested in Re:Rise?

I thought some of the big set piece fights were interesting if not a little bland, but yeah feel free to dodge it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just read a Wikipedia summary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh Snapple! posted:

Not really. Build Divers isn't terrible, it does have it's moments. But overall it is extremely boring and forgettable. You can just read a Wikipedia summary.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

It's kind of weird how Kira Yamato is a relatively normal sounding name and then everyone else has Extremely Weird Gundam Names.

Erica Simmons and Andrew Waltfeld: "Am I a joke to you?"

Zodack posted:

How was SD Xross (Cross? Xcross??) Rays? I've been itching for a Gundam game but it basically had zero of my favorite suits in it and the ones I do like were DLC. Extreme Versus[etc] that came out a few days ago a) looked fun and b) looked like it was illusory fun and instead I'd spend my time getting creamed either by US nerds flying around in Lupus Rex or obscure Japan ace pilots in like, something out of a series I'd never seen before.

IMO it isn't very deep. It's a tactics game featuring the four universes, and you play it for two reasons: To tool around with Gundams in those universes and to make number go up. The gameplay loop once all the story missions are done is basically grinding for abilities to try and optimize your team even further. The animation is solid, there's good music, but if there was a different Gundam game for PC that wasn't New Gundam Breaker, I'd go with that instead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh Snapple! posted:

Nope. Divers is an extremely skippable 4/10 series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

To summarize all the salient points of Build Divers and save you 13 hours of mediocre to bad anime:

Build Divers is about a kid named Riku who decides he wants to play GBN, a VR MMO based around gunpla. He starts playing and takes a little time to find his footing and decide what he wants out of the game. Along the way he makes a bunch of friends, including a mysterious girl named Sara who doesn't ever pilot a gunpla of her own but has a weird connection to them. Riku eventually decides he wants to be the GBN Gunpla Champion, so he recruits a team out of some of the friends he's made and forms his own Gunpla Force called the Build Divers.

Skipping ahead for half the series(because the first half follows a plot that doesn't really matter for Re:Rise), it is eventually revealed that Sara is actually a sapient AI generated by chance by the gigantic sprawling GBN system. The growth of her memories and emotions begins to literally tear the game apart at the seams because of how much data it's consuming. The proposed solution to this problem is the Game Master releasing a patch that will delete Sara from existence. This leads to the majority of the players in the game supporting Sara's destruction while Riku and his friends try and save her. The ultimate resolution is Sara's data being downloaded into a super-advanced real life gunpla styled like Sara's VR form, and the discovery that Sara was not a singular entity and there are other AIs(now termed El Divers) which can be saved in a similar way without destroying GBN.

That's all you need to know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zodack posted:

Colin Nander is about as close to an asiatic culture that Turn A got which made no sense to me since he's from the moon (sort of), presumably has been in cryosleep since Gundam Wing, and shows up in a red body suit. But lose one fight to Mustache and you're walking around in a straw hat and are a monk.

I thought some of the big set piece fights were interesting if not a little bland, but yeah feel free to dodge it
Maxiboost On and not that hard to pick up to a competent level honestly. Cross Rays is fun if you like grinding and putting Heero in the Turn-X but it isnt exactly a hardcore strategy sim.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Thanks everyone,

Kanos posted:

To summarize all the salient points of Build Divers and save you 13 hours of mediocre to bad anime:

Build Divers is about a kid named Riku who decides he wants to play GBN, a VR MMO based around gunpla. He starts playing and takes a little time to find his footing and decide what he wants out of the game. Along the way he makes a bunch of friends, including a mysterious girl named Sara who doesn't ever pilot a gunpla of her own but has a weird connection to them. Riku eventually decides he wants to be the GBN Gunpla Champion, so he recruits a team out of some of the friends he's made and forms his own Gunpla Force called the Build Divers.

Skipping ahead for half the series(because the first half follows a plot that doesn't really matter for Re:Rise), it is eventually revealed that Sara is actually a sapient AI generated by chance by the gigantic sprawling GBN system. The growth of her memories and emotions begins to literally tear the game apart at the seams because of how much data it's consuming. The proposed solution to this problem is the Game Master releasing a patch that will delete Sara from existence. This leads to the majority of the players in the game supporting Sara's destruction while Riku and his friends try and save her. The ultimate resolution is Sara's data being downloaded into a super-advanced real life gunpla styled like Sara's VR form, and the discovery that Sara was not a singular entity and there are other AIs(now termed El Divers) which can be saved in a similar way without destroying GBN.

That's all you need to know.

and thanks, Kanos :)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I just plain despise the control schemes of the Gundam Vs series, they're just horribly counter intuitive and I've never been able to get a hang on them

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/1154209730425999360?s=19

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I just plain despise the control schemes of the Gundam Vs series, they're just horribly counter intuitive and I've never been able to get a hang on them

They make a lot more sense when you consider them designed for arcades.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I've not ever been one to be good at fighting games and while the roster in Gundam Vs. looks diverse and fun, I don't know if I have confidence in my ability to pick it up or, more importantly, have a good time with it.

I tried... what was it, Mobile Battle Operation 2 or whatever the freemium PS4 title was and while that was interesting I'm not the biggest UC guy and the odd restrictions it put on sortieing and suit selection really dampered it for me.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I want another Gundam Dynasty Warriors game if I'm being honest with myself.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I bought Maxiboost on a complete lark today and while I'm Not Good At All I'm having fun with it. I like the Gottrlatan a lot.

Plus I can just sit here and let it idle on the main menu with Silent Voice playing when I'm taking a break/grinding phone games/working.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I want another Gundam Dynasty Warriors game if I'm being honest with myself.

Reborn felt kind of subpar. A mix of what was going on in 2 and 3 would be great. The biggest problem I always had with the DWG was fighting mobile armors with the camera and targeting systems working against me.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

One of these days I need to actually get Gundam Breaker 3. For the life of me I have no drat clue why I haven't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

They make a lot more sense when you consider them designed for arcades.

Nah I've played them in arcades too and they're just as awful there

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

I thought the live action drama thing was just confusion, they said that Unicorn 2 would be like a western drama in style, and people erroneously thought that meant it was going to be live action.

Very possibly. I was just going off what I'd heard, but it wouldn't be surprising if it was wrong. That said, I do recall some mention that "live action drama" was something written down on some kind of upcoming show schedule (though I couldn't honestly tell you where that was or anything) and not just something someone said.

Zodack posted:

I've always figured Corin seeing the Wing Gundam was just a reference someone put in for fun, possibly because he'd shouted "It's a Gundam" earlier in the show. Then again, I've never taken the Black History as any kind of literal thing and have mostly taken it as a bunch of references meant to convey the idea that there was centuries of warfare in a way that'd be more familiar and digestible to the audience, while being chock full of references. Dianna notes that Corin predates the Moon races' records, and he mentions recognizing the ionic smell of the Moonlight Butterfly, as well as calling Gundam(s) the enemy of heaven and I've always figured he was either the pilot of the Turn X that the Turn A defeated to usher in the destruction of civilization in the past, or else that he was a pilot at the time in some other mook suit. If he is genuinely supposed to be from Gundam Wing's AC era, then he's the sole physical link the show draws with other settings, and the rest are all references to names, or concepts while all the other physical links are from UC.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

tsob posted:

I've always figured Corin seeing the Wing Gundam was just a reference someone put in for fun, possibly because he'd shouted "It's a Gundam" earlier in the show.

he straight up gets an upgraded geminass and the manga, and I think it's stated he used to be a member of OZ

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/OZ-10VMSX_Gundam_Aesculapius

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The manga was written after the fact by someone other than Tomino, just like the novels, so I wouldn't be taking them as any indication of what Tomino intended personally.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

That said, I do recall some mention that "live action drama" was something written down on some kind of upcoming show schedule (though I couldn't honestly tell you where that was or anything) and not just something someone said.

It was on the Japanese version of the UC Next 100 announcement

Kido Senshi Gundam UC2 (tentative title)
Overseas drama format 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Huh, I guess I missed that UC2 was going to come after Hathaway. Feels like that might be weird as hell. I thought the most sensible plot for UC2 would be something around exactly how they bury the idea of Newtypes, but... I guess I can't even speculate at this point since I've never read Hathaway's Flash.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lmao they call it overseas drama format

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Seemlar posted:

What does the other Japanese text in the image say, out of interest? What's "UC ep 0" and "UC0100" for that matter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

What does the other Japanese text in the image say, out of interest? What's "UC ep 0" and "UC0100" for that matter?

Unicorn ep 0 is a prequel manga about Full Frontal, I think?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
That section is "Official side stories developed in games and other media" - the official English version of that image they released had "A side story based on the capture of the Sinanju" and "Zeon relinquishes independence" in those spots

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hi Captain Zeon is the best thing I've ever seen

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Seemlar posted:

"Zeon relinquishes independence" in those spots

I'd watch the hell out of a gritty political conspiracy drama set just before the end of the Republic of Zeon's independence mandate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd watch the hell out of a gritty political conspiracy drama set just before the end of the Republic of Zeon's independence mandate.

I'd be game.

Could Leopold Fieseler be one of the leads? Ex-detective turned senator seems like a good skillset for the job.