Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Presumably because he is not actually sorry and sees nothing wrong with what he was doing, just that people got mad enough about it that he might see less bookings moving forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rarity posted:

Kongo Kong spoke about the allegations against him on a podcast:

"It should have gone to the people in power who would have protected me for blackmailing a rookie into giving me his money and showing me his dick" gently caress outta here Kongo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Good start from Equity in the UK for what they expect from wrestling promotions:

https://twitter.com/EquityUK/status/1290314033581744130?s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are they asking for private dressing rooms by gender or by person? Cause there's no way most venues would be able to offer the latter

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

Are they asking for private dressing rooms by gender or by person? Cause there's no way most venues would be able to offer the latter

My guess is by gender, but honestly it might just be "a private place for people to get changed" as I think some venues lack even that and people have to get changed in the toilets or in their car.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Hell, most UK venues couldn’t even offer the former.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I read it as just "A private space to get changed" because if UK indies are anything like the US I've seen venues where it appeared the wrestlers either had a "locker room" that was a curtained off area or could go change in the public bathroom or whatever. It's also just a pledge so they're probably keeping it simple. Not every venue can provide split rooms and stuff but if you can't provide a dressing room gently caress off, you shouldn't hold wrestling or theater. It's kind of like saying you're a concert venue with no sound system.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

This is the south pal our locker rooms are separated by heel or face no exceptions

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Now it really clicks, all the times I've heard wrestlers bring up changing in a bathroom stall

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've been in a handful of small US indie lockers before. If they weren't running at a high school gym that had two separate changing rooms for home/away teams it was a scenario where the women either changed before they got there, the women changed in a bathroom stall, or the women were so desensitized to changing in front of other people they just did it in front of everyone else.

The most jarring was when I was in a locker room where a woman was getting changed with everyone else and I asked out loud "Shouldn't she have a separate room or something" and the locker room leader made sure to scream at me at the top of his lungs about how I wasn't really one of the boys and I was a massive pervert for bringing it up and the only reason I was there was to do "bitch work". The girl changing there also voiced her disgust at me, I found out later she was dating that locker room leader. One of the guys there sat me aside later on and explained her being there was like a free trip to the strip club. It was horrifying.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve bumped into wrestlers coming out of the toilet stalls in the public restrooms after changing into their gear at shows more times than I can count, it’s common as hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
From now on PROGRESS will be requiring DBS checks (criminal record disclosure) from all talent and management

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rarity posted:

From now on PROGRESS will be requiring DBS checks (criminal record disclosure) from all talent and management

While this is a positive step, its worth bearing in mind how few of the people we now know have been doing terrible things would have been flagged up by a criminal record check. Motherfuckers almost never even get charged with anything, let alone convicted.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am an ESL teacher, and for most of the places I have worked, and applied for jobs to, a Police Criminal Check is required to even get a working visa.

So am I to understand that foreigners coming in don't need a working visa for the UK? How about the US? I thought they were tough on immigration/foreigners working.

Or do people just fly over and wrestle on tourist visas? (On Border Force, an Australian TV show based around customs officials, there is an old episode where Chris Hero gets busted trying to come into the country to work, but only has a tourist visa.)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

I am an ESL teacher, and for most of the places I have worked, and applied for jobs to, a Police Criminal Check is required to even get a working visa.

So am I to understand that foreigners coming in don't need a working visa for the UK? How about the US? I thought they were tough on immigration/foreigners working.

Or do people just fly over and wrestle on tourist visas? (On Border Force, an Australian TV show based around customs officials, there is an old episode where Chris Hero gets busted trying to come into the country to work, but only has a tourist visa.)

Most of the people who were problems in PROGRESS were British, so they wouldn't need a working visa.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Guess that’s highly possible. Some people I know have gone to the USA and played (small-scale, avant-garde) concerts there under aliases and in some cases they didn’t even bring their instruments and borrowed them from friends instead so they wouldn’t be questioned why they were bringing instruments into the country.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

virtually all indie wrestlers doing fly-ins are doing so on a tourist visa on the hush hush. shazza mackenzie brought it up on her trip to the states right after covid happened and its resulted in speedball mike bailey getting caught at the border and getting banned from visiting the US for five years, which seriously halted a lot of his momentum when he was tearing it up in PWG

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Rarity posted:

Considering the prevalence of DBS checks in all sorts of roles in the UK, it’s absolutely stunning that this was not already a pre-requisite in independent wrestling. But then you remember it’s independent wresting, and everything makes sense. Sadly.

Has Progress managed to repair the damage their initial response to Speaking Out did to them? I guess it’s impossible to firmly say until shows can start running again. I’m a bit lazy when it comes to independent shows but I’ve been to the odd Progress and enjoyed them. Amazed that so much good work and effort by a wide range of people has potentially come unstuck by the bungled response to this serous issue.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

between smallman leaving the company after assisting WWE in raiding the roster completely dry and the last number of issues i wouldn't be shocked if progress just quietly closed at this point.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

JOHN CENA posted:

between smallman leaving the company after assisting WWE in raiding the roster completely dry and the last number of issues i wouldn't be shocked if progress just quietly closed at this point.

its a big brand and, from the outside, it seemed to me like they were having no problem selling shows with the assistance of the wwe talent. if that relationship picks up again they'll be okay i think

(mind you, i'd prefer they close and a less tainted brand and less tainted promoters replace em)

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

On the Kevin Steen Show episode with the Super Smash Brothers they share a ton of stories about sneaking across the border to work without visas. I think SSB got caught or warned about it?

They'd typically say they were coming to take wrestling training seminars.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Pinche Rudo posted:

On the Kevin Steen Show episode with the Super Smash Brothers they share a ton of stories about sneaking across the border to work without visas. I think SSB got caught or warned about it?

They'd typically say they were coming to take wrestling training seminars.

SSB got caught and their restriction finished very soon before they showed up in AEW, iirc.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Making the visa stuff more confusing is that in Canada...you can just show up and wrestle. Canada has an unusually common sense immigration policy for performing artists: https://www.immigration.ca/performing-artists-do-not-require-work-permit-in-canada

This is why you see American indie wrestlers in promotions like Alpha 1, BCW, ECCW, etc all the time, but not vice versa.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That rule doesn’t apply if you’re selling things though, so usually you lie and say whatever merch you’re bringing is promotional material if they ask.

At least that’s what I’ve heard from friends who work comic conventions.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Procrastinator posted:

SSB got caught and their restriction finished very soon before they showed up in AEW, iirc.

They were never caught, they just didn't want to take the risk anymore after Bailey got caught.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://rappler.com/sports/bullying-triggers-pwr-mass-exodus-athletes-staff

A bit of context: PWR sanctioned a couple of wrestlers following internal investigations on sexual misconduct:

John Sebastian - released
Kapitan Juan Tutan - suspended for 8 shows
Chris Panzer (reigning PWR Champion) - suspended for 2 shows

(Given that PWR operates on a monthly schedule, and given the pandemic halting all shows for the foreseeable future, those suspensions take a long time)

Last week, Panzer, along with his friends, most of who've been with the company since its inception, left the promotion. Notable ones were "The Senyorito" Jake De Leon, former president of the company, and Ken Warren, both of whom performed in a WWE Tryout.

Now there haven't been any public statements about any sexual misconduct--the actual details have been kept pretty much under wraps. However, a lot of the remaining wrestlers signed with the promotion have been vagueposting on Twitter about harassers in the industry and their enablers. That and one of the female wrestlers is auctioning off all her gear is saying a lot.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Chris James 2 posted:

Over a month ago women in Phillippine Wrestling Revolution came forward with accusations against ex-talent Alex Cuevas and Peter Verzosa https://rappler.com/sports/pwr-stars-come-forward-sexual-harassment-stories When one brought it up to the then-president of the company it was essentially ignored and then immediately followed with rumors coming from people close to him that he called the girl a whore who deserved it

The company just had a mass exodus of 11 staff and talent https://rappler.com/sports/bullying-triggers-pwr-mass-exodus-athletes-staff

To add a bit to the story, in June, Singapore Pro Wrestling released a statement that they basically cut all ties with Alex Cuevas, effective immediately. They didn't elaborate on any specifics, besides stating that they are against sexual harassment and abuse.

They also shortly followed up with releases of two other wrestlers, Eurasian Dragon and Mighty Mighty. In that one, there was a brief "we will make sure roster and staff adhere to our rules of conduct."

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

FunMerrania posted:

They were never caught, they just didn't want to take the risk anymore after Bailey got caught.

This is correct. They then went down the visa sponsorship process and was finally successful with AEW's petition.

It's a real shitshow that Canadians don't have the same privileges as Americans do for wrestling, which is why the initial wave (Kevin, Sami, Sexxxy Eddy etc.) Had few issues but once Lufisto and Bailey ran into issues now it's a real gamble to even try so most of them don't and go the European route instead of on the American indies.

It sucks because you guys miss out on a ton of talent that is just as good as the American indy guys you know and love :smith:

And for clarity Americans can travel to Canada with no issues, and Canadians face a 5 year ban if the border guard is having a bad day

Oh and the Visa sponsorship process costs a minimum of 5k and its not even a guarantee you'll be accepted, so imagine even if you get it how many American bookings you'll have to take to recoup that cost.

stab fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 5, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, huh, is that why Phantasmo went to the UK?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, huh, is that why Phantasmo went to the UK?

Him, Bailey, Uno before AEW etc yes

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
Probably not a great idea to claim to have committed a hate crime and murder.

Marty Janetty

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/InsaneChampWres/status/1291347342709477376

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That rule doesn’t apply if you’re selling things though, so usually you lie and say whatever merch you’re bringing is promotional material if they ask.

At least that’s what I’ve heard from friends who work comic conventions.

This is true i’ve tour managed and i always lie that we’re giving poo poo away for free and never had a problem.

Coming back in to my own country though has been hellish, automatic guns in our face, antagonistic searches, bullshit detainment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Oil! posted:

Probably not a great idea to claim to have committed a hate crime and murder.

Marty Janetty

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about this, because, uh, that post sounds a whole lot like Marty outright saying he murdered someone and implying pretty heavily he's an actual serial killer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Everyone fill in your bingo free space for born again youth preacher model

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

the “I’m the victim but it’s cool I’ll pray for u” choice of passage...

what a loving chud

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

gently caress off Joey Ryan

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, the classic Faraci Maneuver. Looking forward to his patreon where reviews old wrestling matches from a Christian-Buddhist perspective.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Someone properly called the "Joey disappears and returns as a religious born again type" a couple times in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
It was MRT I think