Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm a ways into Tanimura's story and really enjoying Y4 so far. The combat is SO much better than 3 it's crazy and each new character has been fun in their own way. Saejima was a bit on rails but I think it's cool you can finally go down those stairs on the main drag, too bad those areas didn't stick around for the Dragon Engine games.

I really wish I got a screenshot of Majima saying "C'mon bro, strip" to Saejima when they fight in the batting cage, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing i liked about 0 was that there was actually a store in the weird underground ruined mall beneath the theater. seriously, what the heck was up with that area?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one thing i liked about 0 was that there was actually a store in the weird underground ruined mall beneath the theater. seriously, what the heck was up with that area?

Theres a what now

Also, I've only played 0, K1 and K2 so far but what's the deal with that big building on the east side of the map that looks kinda like a prison? Is that just a notably prominent building in real life? Does it ever come up?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wolfsheim posted:

Theres a what now

Also, I've only played 0, K1 and K2 so far but what's the deal with that big building on the east side of the map that looks kinda like a prison? Is that just a notably prominent building in real life? Does it ever come up?

The castle that's by yagamis office in judgment? You go inside it in y4

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Theres a what now

do you mean this building? in real life it's some sort of municipal government office https://goo.gl/maps/qDAQsEq8FS4nDpKd8

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Haruka's song is a fuckin bop

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

They all are, I don’t think anyone has a problem with them specifically so much as it is that there’s only three. the idol battle with T-Set with Loneliness Loop playing is right up there with Majima’s intro in 0 and the leitmotif from Oath of Demon kicking in on the final Kuze fight

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Played air hockey with Haruka to see if she can perv on the women like the men (she can :gaysper:) and ended up legitimately liking the air hockey. Had to pull myself away so I can finally finish this darn game.

Mordiceius posted:

It is. But I eventually got annoyed with it because it comes up a lot and its very catchy.

I wish dance battles could go all the way to the end. Some of the songs are really fun, but sometimes the opponent gets defeated early even if I don't use any special moves.

Peragus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 4, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Weedle posted:

do you mean this building? in real life it's some sort of municipal government office https://goo.gl/maps/qDAQsEq8FS4nDpKd8

That's the one! Surprised with all the government conspiracy plots it hasn't been a thing in the three games I've played thus far. That entire little stretch of road seems very unused, I think maybe....three substories have had you meet a guy there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Weedle posted:

Going through kamuro on google maps is really scratching that itch 'till 7 comes out
SEGA should stop being cowards and let me buy a Goku t-shirt at the don quijote.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 4, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Joon-gi Han turning Stardust into a depraved fight ring sure is a choice

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Carlosologist posted:

Joon-gi Han turning Stardust into a depraved fight ring sure is a choice

It leads to one of the best battle themes in Yakuza IMO so it was definitely the right one.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Policenaut posted:

It leads to one of the best battle themes in Yakuza IMO so it was definitely the right one.

not saying it's a bad one! it's fantastic and over-the-top and leads to one of the best shirt rip moments in the series: the first time you see Kiryu's tattoo in glorious ultra quality

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 4, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sorry about this! I don't know enough about browser code to actually find the video alone in the F12 menu!

https://reddit.com/r/halo/comments/i2dz7l/craig_sings_the_song_of_his_people_humble_craig/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While I can respect Sega for doing a high quality English dub for Yakuza 7, hearing these perfect American English voices come out of these characters..... feels really loving wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BY0a750gg

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I won't ever play it in English but I really respect this dub and I really like Greg Chun and Kaiji Tang so it'll be a great dub, but yeah it does feel weird. Judgment was the same, I'm sure the dub was amazing but I couldn't

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm hyped as gently caress to play through Yakuza 7 with the English dub

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If it were a Kiryu-focused game I absolutely wouldn't be able to play it in English but doing the shift to a new protagonist is enough of a break for me that I'm down for it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m very glad that the English voices exist so less people have an excuse to get on this wild ride. People might complain about the dub causing a delay between the Japanese/English releases but just like a good delayed game is still eventually good a game that’s more inclusive is more inclusive forever.

Although I’d be lying if I said that, yeah, while we have come a long way since Yakuza 1 pissed away all it’s voiceover potential with poo poo-awful direction, we’ve also come a long way graphically as well and now most of the non-recurring characters look actually Asian so sometimes the voices have that movie dub problem like someone said. Also I’m gonna be real, in my specific case I’m probably gonna go English and never go back because realistically speaking we have two really good stories before a lot of sitting through boring poo poo to get to the good character moments/spectacle scenes buried in waffle, so it’ll be nice to be used to the voices when I try taking my eyes off the screen at that point.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kiryu in the live chat is loving amazing. Shades of the telephone club but somehow better?.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

The ending of 5 was abrupt and unsatisfying. If I had to wait for 6 back then, I would have been pissed.

I've played 6 and I'm still a bit peeved since most of these characters don't show up in 6. Only Kiryu's and Haruka's story gets expanded. The rest were barely mentioned.

Some scattered thoughts:

-Saejima should have confronted Baba. It was absolutely the wrong move to have Shinada fight him. I wanted some closure with Baba and Saejima.
-Shinada and Akiyama felt out of place at the end. Shinada's story is pretty much over and Akiyama is just hanging out. Which is fine since more fighters are welcome, but the game was trying to make their last battles as 'epic' as Kiryu's and Saejima's and it just fell flat.
-For reasons I must have missed, a bunch of yakuza clans declared that they are in Akiyama's debt which confused me. Kanai didn't seem special to garner that response. He just seemed like any other right hand yakuza boss.
-I still love that Haruka throws away her idol career because she loves her yakuza dad so much. Makes everyone going 'We need to continue with the concert because that was Park's dream (also Haruka's I guess)' a little better. No one really asked her if she was happy pursuing an idol career by sacrificing her familial connections and looks like she wasn't. Akiyama should have taken that money from Katsuya.
-I felt a little bad for T-set since their career was likely affected by this. I need to play the beginning of 6 again because I don't remember if they were mentioned.
-I was absolutely surprised that Park never showed up again. Her face wasn't shown when she died so I fully expected her to appear again.
-Disappointed that there was absolutely nothing on Majima's thoughts about Park and her death. What was the point of him being the husband besides them wanting a shocking twist? They didn't do anything with it and all we get is secondhand info. I knew that Majima was Park's ex-husband going in so I expected more than that.
-I would have preferred if they let us fight Kurosawa instead. It would have been silly, but this series isn't above that. Aizawa is just thrown there in the end.

I don't think 5 did a great job with the story, but it had a better execution of tying different plots and characters together and was less convoluted than 4. 0 is still the high watermark.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The problem with 5 is really that it feels obligated to tie all these different stories together and ends up being much weaker for it, but at least doesn’t try as hard as 4 did until the end so it’s less incoherent. It’s probably not the biggest reason, but I have no doubt that it’s probably at least part of why RGG Studio shifted to a JRPG for LAD; if you’re doing the whole turn based thing then you don’t have to justify having the characters segregated like 0/4/5 so gameplay can happen.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I think one of the reasons that the Yakuza series works so well for me is because of the small scope of the setting. Even in Yakuza 5 when you have five areas, they are all just small neighborhoods. They never try to do the “this is a whole city” thing you get in something like Grand Theft Auto or Watch_Dogs. So it makes it that they’re able to almost 1-to-1 lift the neighborhood layout. I’ve watched some videos of Kabukichu and Dotonbori and having never been there myself, it already feels familiar to me. It’s loving rad as hell and I’ve never experienced anything like this in a video game. I feel like western games get too focused on having more space instead of creating a living space.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
the talk about dubs made me look up cutscenes from Yakuza 1 and also the imdb page for it and uh

wow, they got like, not SSS tier talent, but pretty recognizable names. shame about how the dub actually sounds, but i think 90% of that is them saying the -san which just sounds weird in dubs and my familiarity with the JP VAs. however, Lex Luthor from Smallville as Nishiki kinda owns.

e: also John DiMaggio as Kashiwagi

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

So (Yakuza 5), I was totally expecting at some point that Park would die, but I certainly wasn't expecting it that soon. For some reason, her death really hosed with me in a way other character deaths haven't. I think it's just because it feels like we usually get a full arc and closure on characters, but her death just felt so abrupt. Great drama but goddamn was I not expecting it so soon. I thought she was going to end up in Tokyo and get mixed up in some Yakuza business.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mister No posted:

the talk about dubs made me look up cutscenes from Yakuza 1 and also the imdb page for it and uh

wow, they got like, not SSS tier talent, but pretty recognizable names. shame about how the dub actually sounds, but i think 90% of that is them saying the -san which just sounds weird in dubs and my familiarity with the JP VAs. however, Lex Luthor from Smallville as Nishiki kinda owns.

e: also John DiMaggio as Kashiwagi

One of the main reasons they Sega wrote off Yakuza in the West for a long time was that they put a lot of effort into localising and marketing Y1 and it barely sold any copies. Of course that was mainly due them trying to market it as Japanese GTA which it blatantly wasnt.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Peragus posted:

T-Set-I felt a little bad for T-set since their career was likely affected by this. I need to play the beginning of 6 again because I don't remember if they were mentioned.

T-Set were a pair of malicious jackasses who never got their comeuppance. One of my pet peeves with Haruka's section is how non-confrontational she is with confrontational villainous characters. If someone fights Kiryu, he beats them up and then gives them a short lecture on the error of their ways. If someone has a dance battle with Haruka, she usually says nothing at all after she beats them, and if she does speak it's just something like, "Try hard and do your best".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/KaoruGans0/status/1290967203278290944

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phenomenal

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

Gort posted:

T-Set were a pair of malicious jackasses who never got their comeuppance. One of my pet peeves with Haruka's section is how non-confrontational she is with confrontational villainous characters. If someone fights Kiryu, he beats them up and then gives them a short lecture on the error of their ways. If someone has a dance battle with Haruka, she usually says nothing at all after she beats them, and if she does speak it's just something like, "Try hard and do your best".

Yeah, she was too nice to them. They bully her and she just tells them some garbage about going to Okinawa to melt their worries away.

I warmed up to them a bit after one of them helped Haruka fend off a sex predator since I figured they turned to being bullies as a shield against all the awful people in idol industry, but the game didn't elaborate on their behavior at all. There also should have been a longer gap between them being lovely towards Haruka to her bffs or at least a bigger push back against their attitude. All they really get is a dressing down from Park in that one scene.

It really put a damper on a win when Haruka refuses to talk any poo poo even if the person was mean or condescending to her. I missed the Haruka from 1 who was less passive and wasn't afraid to be confrontational.

I have respect for anyone who can perfectly emulate video game walking animations

Peragus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 5, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i read it as haruka being completely uninterested in her peers. the yakuza games present being an orphan as this terrible stigma, so even aside from all the kidnappings, murder and bicycle combat she had a real rough childhood. somewhat hostile teenage girls probably barely registered.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The best part is when he is too close to the statue, so he backs up and centers himself.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Peragus posted:

I warmed up to them a bit after one of them helped Haruka fend off a sex predator since I figured they turned to being bullies as a shield against all the awful people in idol industry, but the game didn't elaborate on their behavior at all.
Speaking of that bit, would it have killed Kiryu to teach his kid even the tiniest bit of self-defense, goddamn

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TriffTshngo posted:

If it were a Kiryu-focused game I absolutely wouldn't be able to play it in English but doing the shift to a new protagonist is enough of a break for me that I'm down for it.

I thought the same thing about Judgment and it's a perfectly serviceable dub, but I had to nope out back to the options menu after two hours. poo poo just ain't right and I can't get used to it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Y4: I'm in the finale. Tanimura is who I want the Sacred Tree set on, right?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

robot roll call posted:

Y4: I'm in the finale. Tanimura is who I want the Sacred Tree set on, right?

yeah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want more adventures of Haruka

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd play a whole game of the Haruka section if it had like ten times as many songs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd play a whole game of the Haruka section if it had like ten times as many songs

Yeah. I’m okay with only the few songs because her section isn’t so long and “So Much More” is such a loving banger.

But I want an entire game that’s Shun and Haruka going on adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I want Haruka to inherit her adoptive father's legacy and dispense parental justice across Kamurocho

https://youtu.be/Xgvvmytm2Vs