Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Quake Live not free everywhere now or is it just Steam?

Cat Mattress posted:

I think it went through a free-to-play phase at one point so if you played it then it stuck in your library.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I played it back then but through a browser I think.
Quake Live was initially free-to-play (initially ad-supported but quickly changed to a subscription model for additional content), first as a browser plugin, then as a Steam app. When Bethesda decided to discontinue the service, instead of completely shutting down the entire thing they just migrated everything to Steamworks and made it a paid game, with everyone who had downloaded the free version grandfathered in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
It was free and then :10bux: but there are only two dozen of us left and you can only play freeze tag now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i played unreal 2 a couple of years ago and it was alright, it definitely felt like a game searching for an identity tho

i keep wondering if i should get quake 4 just to see what raven did with it, now that we're years and years removed from the initial discourse

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Linguica posted:

it is extremely 2020 that my first reaction to the "terrorists win" wav now is to remember that, ah yes, the voice I am hearing is that of a convicted pedophile.

What? :stare:

Edit: googled and y i k e s

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 5, 2020

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In other news, Raven is apparently getting a "co-created by" credit for this year's CoD game. I know that there's probably no one left from the Jedi Outcast days, but its still cool to see them get recognition. They've been doing yeomen's work on CoD multiplayer maps for years, and did a great goddamn job with the Modern Warfare 1 remaster.

Also, was Unreal the only game that announced headshots? My friends and I used to yell HEAD-SHOT! back in high school while playing Counter Strike and a few others. I don't think any of us realized that was an Unreal thing

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

To be fair, if you were like me, you didn't quite know what you were going to get when you went into Half-Life for the first time. Like in retrospect, we've got Barney, a pet headcrab, and friendly Vortigaunts...but going into it, you had these gruesome zombies with flayed chests and limited ammunition and you had to reload and Resident Evil 2 had come out earlier in the year and it had those things, too!

Yeah this might be a contributing factor but I think I still was a big wuss back then since the first time I played Resident Evil at a friends place I almost dropped the controller the first time a Zombie appeared.

I'm better with stuff like this now but back then not so much.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0n0ZINacQU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake Live is a game I played once and after severe, severe chugging to get started (no joke 1+ minute loading) I got into the game to discover it is exactly what I thought, a game for people who really liked deathmatch, a mode I have refused to play since the first time I played a game with any other form of multiplayer

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I gave Blood another try on medium with very high enemy count and I'm gonna have to give that a pass! For real, do Build games not have the equivalent of a reaction countdown?

I thought I was doing well until I ended map 2 with 5 health and was basically forced into pitchfork starting the train level just so I could have max health. But ironically you WANT more enemies because that means higher chances of health and ammo drops because so much of this game feels locked behind RNG.

e: I replayed the game turning the cultist aggression down to very low and I think this may be the magic setting for enjoying this game with very high enemy count. I don't know how Blood works under the hood but on medium settings it felt like the cultists could basically use the alt-fire of their weapons with infinite ammo. Like a single shotgunner would hit for 50 health and throw TNT like he didn't loving care. For whatever reason lowering their aggression means they still react instantly like I guess all Build games but they're not going to double tap as you round a corner. It's taken the game from a save-scumming crawl to actually a enjoyable run and gun shooter.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 5, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Homora Gaykemi posted:

suppose i oughta buy Doom 64 on Switch even though i never beat the version i got with Eternal on PS4. gotta complete that collection (and i'll be more likely to actually finish it if i can just play a level here or there and then put the system down rather than having to be planted in front of the telly like on PS4)

Fun pro strat: because the password system is identical from the N64 version and is included on all platforms (even Stadia), you can complete the current level on your PS4, then use the password presented to continue your game on the Switch so you don't have to restart from the beginning. This also works back and forth from the N64 for the original levels, and even works for the new episode (except on the N64 for extremely obvious reasons).

You can also use a password from the new episode before you've unlocked it through standard means.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 5, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

In other news, Raven is apparently getting a "co-created by" credit for this year's CoD game. I know that there's probably no one left from the Jedi Outcast days, but its still cool to see them get recognition. They've been doing yeomen's work on CoD multiplayer maps for years, and did a great goddamn job with the Modern Warfare 1 remaster.
I think there's a few people there from the old days. I know the Raffel brothers who founded the place are still there. I know there was a split-off after the Heretic/Hexen series to found Human Head, but I can't say I know much about what's happened under the hood afterwards.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Also, was Unreal the only game that announced headshots? My friends and I used to yell HEAD-SHOT! back in high school while playing Counter Strike and a few others. I don't think any of us realized that was an Unreal thing
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Quakeworld Team Fortress was the first to announce headshots and legshots ("That'll slow him down!") via HUD messages. UT99 was probably the first to have a proper announcer VO callout for it, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay so "aggression" is the Blood equivalent of Doom's reaction but unlike in Doom where reaction begins at 8 on awake so you always have a split second to react in Blood it's... 0. Aggression set to "very low" seems to be the equivalent of Doom where a ranged enemy will fire, move a little, fire instead of Quake nightmare levels of "do I have line of sigFIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rocket Pan posted:

Fun pro strat: because the password system is identical from the N64 version and is included on all platforms (even Stadia), you can complete the current level on your PS4, then use the password presented to continue your game on the Switch so you don't have to restart from the beginning. This also works back and forth from the N64 for the original levels, and even works for the new episode (except on the N64 for extremely obvious reasons).

You can also use a password from the new episode before you've unlocked it through standard means.

ha, that's a fun idea that i hadn't even considered! i know the game has functioning passwords, but it never occurred to me to grab one from my PS4 game

honestly tho the game is so good i'm happy to start over from the beginning

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

al-azad posted:

Okay so "aggression" is the Blood equivalent of Doom's reaction but unlike in Doom where reaction begins at 8 on awake so you always have a split second to react in Blood it's... 0. Aggression set to "very low" seems to be the equivalent of Doom where a ranged enemy will fire, move a little, fire instead of Quake nightmare levels of "do I have line of sigFIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE"

Set cultist TNT aggression to high for some extra fun.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Quakeworld Team Fortress was the first to announce headshots and legshots ("That'll slow him down!") via HUD messages. UT99 was probably the first to have a proper announcer VO callout for it, though.

Given the way hitboxes work in Quake I don't know how that would really be possible. I've seen people try to implement locational damage in qc but it's always bad. Never played og tf so I am curious to see if someone can confirm.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the first Unreal campaign still worth playing? I don’t think I’ve ever played single player Unreal before.

No (maybe? up to personal taste) , it was really dull (but pretty in places) for me even around when it came out compared to the other games I had like build engine games and Goldeneye/Turok 2.

caleb posted:

Given the way hitboxes work in Quake I don't know how that would really be possible. I've seen people try to implement locational damage in qc but it's always bad. Never played og tf so I am curious to see if someone can confirm.

Location damage was 100% part of the sniper class in TF for quake.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 5, 2020

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
For people that don't understand nerd poo poo: prior to Valve fuckery, all hitboxes were just a giant cube that completely surrounded an enemy model which is why you can shoot an ogre in the space between the chainsaw and the head and it's fine and still does damage.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Location damage was 100% part of the sniper class in TF for quake.

That's cool and I want to know how they pulled that off

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The hitbox may be a cube but there's still a single set of coordinates that counts as the canonical location of the character, the cube extends out from it to occupy space. Then engine will give your script the location at which the projectile or hitscan test hit the cube, and then you can compare it to the location to figure out how high up the cube it was, and if it's in, say, the top 20% of its height count that as a headshot. It's not as accurate as a modern game and you still end up with large chunks of empty space that count as "head" like the ogre thing, but it worked well enough for TF.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

caleb posted:

That's cool and I want to know how they pulled that off

Surely, a second cube on top of the primary detection hit cube.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Very informative. Thank you.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
That's the method I was familiar with and it gets really weird if the maps have a lot of vertical movement. Pretty sure darkplaces allows for proper hitboxes but I haven't messed with it yet. Does Wrath have locational damage?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cat Machine posted:

Thank you very much - this is the kind of stuff I love finding out about the game. I only got into classic DOOM recently (it’s replaced “trying to look busy” as my job downtime activity now that I WFH), so expect me back here at some point looking for more help. :shobon:

One of the neat things about classic Doom is learning enemy behavior and pain chance and then leveraging it. It's not even really exploitative or game-breaking, especially once you start getting into custom wads where you're kind-of sort-of expected to utilize it to survive and beat encounters. For example, both Mancubi and Arachnotrons have a fairly decent pain chance you can use to interrupt their attacks or lock them down entirely with a fast-firing weapon. However, Arachnotrons will stop firing immediately and start moving again when you exit their line of sight, while Mancubi will keep up their fireball barrage until they've fired three sets of two before moving again. You can use this to take a breather behind cover and step back out once it's finished.

Soon you'll be chainsawing Revenants and SSGing Archvilles :c00l:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

caleb posted:

That's the method I was familiar with and it gets really weird if the maps have a lot of vertical movement. Pretty sure darkplaces allows for proper hitboxes but I haven't messed with it yet. Does Wrath have locational damage?

Doesn't Arcane Dimensions use real projectiles and fix the hitboxes so they're basically the shape of the model? I know I played a mod that did this (Quake 1.5?) and it was actually kind of annoying because your rockets would basically pass under an enemy's armpit.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Soon you'll be chainsawing Revenants and SSGing Archvilles :c00l:

People don't SSG archviles? I never use the rocket launcher except to snipe but I know when I hear that blood curdling shriek I can get two SSG blasts before the little flame pillar hits me.

e: A Blood PROTIP for newbies like myself, crouching turns cultists from John Wick to stormtroopers.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 5, 2020

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I dunno if this counts as retro yet, but for anyone that never got the original 2006 Prey from Steam before it got delisted, Play Asia has region free codes still available for purchase. I tried it yesterday and after first registering it popped up an error when trying to install and didn't show on my game list. But I checked this morning and it's all there and let's me install just fine, so I think it was just a side effect of Steam making GBS threads the bed.

https://www.play-asia.com/prey-2006/13/70ahfh

Only $3.59.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

FanaticalMilk posted:

I dunno if this counts as retro yet, but for anyone that never got the original 2006 Prey from Steam before it got delisted, Play Asia has region free codes still available for purchase. I tried it yesterday and after first registering it popped up an error when trying to install and didn't show on my game list. But I checked this morning and it's all there and let's me install just fine, so I think it was just a side effect of Steam making GBS threads the bed.

https://www.play-asia.com/prey-2006/13/70ahfh

Only $3.59.

It’s been 14 years - it’s as retro now as Doom II was in 2008. It’s quirky but solid, and does some really interesting things. Grab it, and don’t be alarmed that Prey (2017) installs to the same Steam folder, they don’t step on each other.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hasturtium posted:

Grab it, and don’t be alarmed that Prey (2017) installs to the same Steam folder, they don’t step on each other.

Freakin’ mimics! :argh:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
On the topic of Prey 2006, one of the original level designers is still poking at a new map for it on the side.

https://twitter.com/JunctionEight/status/1289015110866997249

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Kins posted:

On the topic of Prey 2006, one of the original level designers is still poking at a new map for it on the side.

https://twitter.com/JunctionEight/status/1289015110866997249

It always warms my heart to see original devs work on their old games as a side thing in their spare time.:)

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Hasturtium posted:

It’s been 14 years - it’s as retro now as Doom II was in 2008. It’s quirky but solid, and does some really interesting things. Grab it, and don’t be alarmed that Prey (2017) installs to the same Steam folder, they don’t step on each other.

The same-folder-name thing was fixed recently IIRC.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

On the topic of delisted games, is there anywhere that sells codes for Wolfenstein 2006?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

On the topic of delisted games, is there anywhere that sells codes for Wolfenstein 2006?

Codes were never sold as the game released with only disc-verifying DRM. The only place to buy a digital copy was directly from Steam itself.

There might be some gift copies sitting around but last I saw people were asking for like £800 or something absurd for it, just buy a retail copy and save yourself the trouble. Game doesn't use the Steam cloud or anything so you won't be missing out on any features.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Any Quake-nerd who is also a Linux-nerd might be interested in the desktop integration and browser integration stuff I've been messing around with.

E.g.

Relevant materials and instructions at https://github.com/neogeographica/singleplayer_scripts

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

JLaw posted:

Any Quake-nerd who is also a Linux-nerd might be interested in the desktop integration and browser integration stuff I've been messing around with.

E.g.

Relevant materials and instructions at https://github.com/neogeographica/singleplayer_scripts

Nice, now can you make a Start Menu alternative that functions like the episode select map please :v:

Regedit should be hidden like the Nightmare difficulty imo

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I'd like to give Quake modding a try, is there something like ZDL to make trying arcane dimensions and quake 1.5/darkplaces easier?

I swear I've asked this before but I cant search this one thread easily. :sigh:

E: I did! Checking my own posts helped!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thyrork posted:

I'd like to give Quake modding a try, is there something like ZDL to make trying arcane dimensions and quake 1.5/darkplaces easier?

I swear I've asked this before but I cant search this one thread easily. :sigh:

E: I did! Checking my own posts helped!

You should quote yourself for the rest of us.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the "dead game walking" files...
https://twitter.com/FrothyOmen/status/1291029976918175746

Hey, speaking of QuakeCon-ish stuff, here's something dropping on Friday...
https://twitter.com/Batandy_/status/1289159762509062145

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And one last bit of news: Serious Sam 4 has (literally) run screaming past its original August release date, straight to September 24th.

https://twitter.com/SeriousSamIAm/status/1291373465250004994

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

And one last bit of news: Serious Sam 4 has (literally) run screaming past its original August release date, straight to September 24th.

https://twitter.com/SeriousSamIAm/status/1291373465250004994

As SAM FAN #1, my HEART is BROKEN by this news. Shattered to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Still waiting to see those thousands of simultaneous enemies they keep claiming they can do.