Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Ammonium nitrate on its own will happily decompose into N2, O2, and water vapor.
"Things that suddenly want to turn back into elemental nitrogen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Normally, id say fake. But well its 2020.
Even if it's not fake, it's not as if warehouses are specially designed buildings with unique touches that distinguish them from one another. Half the world's warehouses probably share that basic window plan.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/UpdatesLebanese/status/1290791626437201920

Know when to read the room, dude.

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh dear God, no!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://i.imgur.com/XvdocLm.mp4

Bride in Beirut getting pictures taken in her wedding dress when the shockwave hits (looks like everyone is fine afterwards, just scared as hell)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

https://i.imgur.com/XvdocLm.mp4

Bride in Beirut getting pictures taken in her wedding dress when the shockwave hits (looks like everyone is fine afterwards, just scared as hell)

Wow, that looks like an action movie or something

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Wow, that looks like an action movie or something
it has the steady cam and franctic moving of playing battlefield or warezone

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I keep seeing this tweet. I'd assume the warehouse full of ammonium nitrate would have a couple more windows broken out after the explosion if it was actually the same building

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I keep seeing this tweet. I'd assume the warehouse full of ammonium nitrate would have a couple more windows broken out after the explosion if it was actually the same building

Since there is literally no more warehouse, I'd assume this was from the rooftop video before the first explosion when it was just on fire.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

What makes you think either of those images are from "after the explosion"?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ammonium nitrate is famous for turning back time after exploding because tachyons.
:byoscience:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jabor posted:

What makes you think either of those images are from "after the explosion"?

Yeah this is also like the second person who's posted something like this. I really don't understand the thought process behind "what, it CAN'T be a picture of the warehouse, only a couple windows are broken!"

If you look at any of the aftermath shots, you would realize that everything in that picture, except for the people hopefully, is now reduced to a fine mist, nay, film, of atoms, and perhaps, just perhaps, these pictures were taken by someone before the events of today and reposted when said someone realized that it was a picture of the same warehouse that blew up.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

PirateDentist posted:

Since there is literally no more warehouse, I'd assume this was from the rooftop video before the first explosion when it was just on fire.

You're absolutely right and I mixed up clips in my head, oops!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah this is also like the second person who's posted something like this. I really don't understand the thought process behind "what, it CAN'T be a picture of the warehouse, only a couple windows are broken!"

If you look at any of the aftermath shots, you would realize that everything in that picture, except for the people hopefully, is now reduced to a fine mist, nay, film, of atoms, and perhaps, just perhaps, these pictures were taken by someone before the events of today and reposted when said someone realized that it was a picture of the same warehouse that blew up.

...or perhaps, just perhaps, it's a still from a video three seconds before the explosion but gently caress idiots like me, right? After seeing twenty different angles and scores more photos of the event I thoroughly apologize for temporally misplacing a still image of a smoking warehouse. Don't be a snarky gently caress.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 5, 2020

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

KoRMaK posted:

it has the steady cam and franctic moving of playing battlefield or warezone

The cheesy start of it being a happy bride is straight out of Call of Duty, though she wouldn't survive their cut scene.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Looking at the epicentre there, it seems they are very lucky that the warehouses were on the docks themselves and not a few hundred yards further inland.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Got to be an easier way to make popcorn in bulk.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Moo the cow posted:

Looking at the epicentre there, it seems they are very lucky that the warehouses were on the docks themselves and not a few hundred yards further inland.

Also that the silos were there to tank the blast for buildings in that direction.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Collateral Damage posted:

"Things that suddenly want to turn back into elemental nitrogen."

And on the plus side, it was very VERY poorly contained, which prevents it from more completely converting the hateful, vengeful nitrogen atoms into N2 again. The big rusty purple/brown cloud is nitrogen dioxide, which very happily bonds with water to form nitric acid, which basically eats anything, including the delicate meats in your lungs. It's also the main byproduct when ANFO is detonated without sufficient containment, which trades ka-blooie in for acid flavored poison gas. There were a lot of videos from the Syrian conflict where car bombs and roadside bombs made a moderate ka-bang and a gently caress-huge brown cloud of poison gas.

This thing showed up on the underground nuke testing seismograph systems. Fractional KILOTON detonation, and not some lovely 1/200th kinda fraction, like one third to one half of one kiloton. Impressive in scope and scale, and completely horrifying knowing it went off basically adjacent to a city.

Those silos are the only reason half those buildings aren't halfway turned to rubble right now.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 5, 2020

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/chelsfalefil/status/1290949615093723138

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's a decent-sized crater, holy poo poo

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those silos are the only reason half those buildings aren't halfway turned to rubble right now.

I was going to say, whoever designed those silos deserves some kind of design award. They're hosed up but still standing. Maybe grain is good at absorbing explosive impact. How much grain would I need to buy to fill my walls with, in readiment for the coming nuclear apocolypse?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bet that grain silo saved a whole bunch of lives in that direction from the blast

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's not that grain is supremely good or something, more that it was a solid block of concrete and other dense material several meters thick. (As opposed to a regular building, which would have thin walls and be filled with a whole lotta air).

And it still got halfway vaporised.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Olewithmilk posted:

I was going to say, whoever designed those silos deserves some kind of design award. They're hosed up but still standing. Maybe grain is good at absorbing explosive impact. How much grain would I need to buy to fill my walls with, in readiment for the coming nuclear apocolypse?

Grain is flammable and attracts vermin, a real nuke would also have set fire to the city in addition to smashing it flat. I'd use a high water content grain, perhaps one that was previously used, in say, the beer brewing process. Most breweries give it away for free, so if you have a truck with a big tub in the back, you could fill your walls with spent grain. As a bonus, the smell would be so godawful that no looters would try to see what's inside, since about three square blocks will smell like hot carnival puke.

Edit: Also, that *was* the strategic grain reserve for the entire country, which was already experiencing food shortages and inflation. This nitrate powered kick in the balls is gonna gently caress them over for a LONG time.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Jabor posted:

It's not that grain is supremely good or something, more that it was a solid block of concrete and other dense material several meters thick. (As opposed to a regular building, which would have thin walls and be filled with a whole lotta air).

And it still got halfway vaporised.

It's too late, I have bought several tonnes of grain.

Grain is flammable and attracts vermin, a real nuke would also have set fire to the city in addition to smashing it flat. I'd use a high water content grain, perhaps one that was previously used, in say, the beer brewing process. Most breweries give it away for free, so if you have a truck with a big tub in the back, you could fill your walls with spent grain. As a bonus, the smell would be so godawful that no looters would try to see what's inside, since about three square blocks will smell like hot carnival puke.

A couple of weeks ago, a bucket in our shed starting smelling like absolute death and was spreading into the house and garden. I was sure a rat had died in it. I poured bleach into it, and started taking out the contents. It was full of rancid water that had leaked in and a bag of seeds, JUST seeds. I had no idea plant matter could smell that bad.

What I'm saying is, your idea is sound.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Olewithmilk posted:

It's too late, I have bought several tonnes of grain.

Use it to brew beer, then line your walls with it!

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Use it to brew beer, then line your walls with it!

That will take too long, I'm just going to fill the walls with warm water, hops, yeast, and grain and let nature take it's course.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Salut!

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Olewithmilk posted:

That will take too long, I'm just going to fill the walls with warm water, hops, yeast, and grain and let nature take it's course.

Beer with used razorblades in it? No thanks.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Moo the cow posted:

Beer with used razorblades in it? No thanks.

Less a razor ale, and more a robust drywall stout.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

View from the crater, it's a very big hole:

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1290965624093630464
https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1290965684160094208

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 5, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Moo the cow posted:

The cheesy start of it being a happy bride is straight out of Call of Duty, though she wouldn't survive their cut scene.

To be fair, this is a risk for anyone in a wedding dress within 500 miles of a US drone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The crater is submerged to a diameter of 140m.

Wow.

The water at the quay was previously seven metres deep.

It’s a deep water port now.

Mozi posted:

diameter, not depth

Weird way to phrase that, but that does seem more plausible.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 5, 2020

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
diameter, not depth

https://twitter.com/Elie___Azzi/status/1290920980630712320?s=20

a video from early on in the initial fire

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
High-speed dredging operations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Sooooo, I'm guessing the container ship....literally vaporized? Or is there a twisted steel frame down at the bottom of that crater along with all the other wreckage that's what's left of the ship?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mozi posted:

diameter, not depth

https://twitter.com/Elie___Azzi/status/1290920980630712320?s=20

a video from early on in the initial fire

It's really weird seeing video from a place that doesn't exist anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A White Guy posted:

Sooooo, I'm guessing the container ship....literally vaporized? Or is there a twisted steel frame down at the bottom of that crater along with all the other wreckage that's what's left of the ship?
The relevant ship left port *looks at calendar* 6 years ago.