Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm painting in order to play when the pandemic is over in ten years. By then I should be one of the few people in the USA with a fully painted Tau army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got some beginner set that came with the paints

And I reemmeberd to get a brush pack too! The essentials or whatever and a can of spray paint and the oil

The old style stuff has cool models imo

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Yeah, painting should really be a major part of the hobby. The game takes on more appeal if you have a strong local scene. That being said, I do know many people in my area who only play for the game, which blows my mind. There’s way better strategy and war games out there...though 40k has a unique aesthetic.

I guess the “I’m only in it for the game crowd” hangs on because of the events and things going on locally. Then you have the social aspects layered on top.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/yjExXoq.gifv

My LGS launched a narrative hobby league starting this week and this is my submission: my first 100% complete models. It felt really good to paint the base rims, and to know how my bases are going to end up when I start painting my next batch of boyz.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gameko posted:

Yeah, painting should really be a major part of the hobby. The game takes on more appeal if you have a strong local scene. That being said, I do know many people in my area who only play for the game, which blows my mind. There’s way better strategy and war games out there...though 40k has a unique aesthetic.

I guess the “I’m only in it for the game crowd” hangs on because of the events and things going on locally. Then you have the social aspects layered on top.

There are many hobby things where objectively there are better or more modern designed versions of things, D&D, MTG come to mind, but their entrenched market status makes them the go to for many. 40k doesn't seem much different in that regard. X might be a better game, but can you get some people to buy in to play regularly?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

jassi007 posted:

There are many hobby things where objectively there are better or more modern designed versions of things, D&D, MTG come to mind, but their entrenched market status makes them the go to for many. 40k doesn't seem much different in that regard. X might be a better game, but can you get some people to buy in to play regularly?

True words. Entrenchment is a big deal and one of the reasons I bought into 40k. Other war games seem to come and go. War machine had a good following 10 years ago but now the local store doesn’t even carry it. Xwing came and went too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is one of my all time favorite miniatures i've painted I think.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
A friend of mine has roped me into trying out warhammer with him, and I have some questions before I spend any money:

1. What kind of clippers will I need? I've got a few decent sets for gunpla, but I'm not sure if I'll need something heavier than that; the ones for gunpla are pretty light. (I have an assortment of xacto knives and files so I should be fine on that front.)
2. Can anyone recommend a basic set of brushes? Games Workshop sells a set that looks pretty nice, but it's also $54 which seems pricey to me. Again, I've got a few that I use for gunpla, but I need to get some new stuff anyway and I never used anything actually good for that because I don't do any serious painting for them.
3. I live in a pretty humid area (the american south) and that's not something I can easily change. Right now I'm not planning on doing any outside stuff besides spray priming and maybe zenithal stuff, so is that going to be a problem as long as I'm diligent about moving stuff back indoors asap?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

jassi007 posted:

mtg doesn't really fit in that bucket, it's much more expensive than its competitors but for all its flaws it's still a lot better at dealing with big balance problems than its main competitors, it's very different from the GW strategy of spending their revenue on building increasingly large foam middle fingers to point at their fans

that said while they are loving awful at game design and I'm not a huge fan of where they've gone aesthetically, GW is much better than any of their competitors I know of when it comes to making miniatures that go together cleanly without too much bullshit

Gameko posted:

True words. Entrenchment is a big deal and one of the reasons I bought into 40k. Other war games seem to come and go. War machine had a good following 10 years ago but now the local store doesn’t even carry it. Xwing came and went too.

xwing seems to be doing fine?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

DoubleDonut posted:

A friend of mine has roped me into trying out warhammer with him, and I have some questions before I spend any money:

1. What kind of clippers will I need? I've got a few decent sets for gunpla, but I'm not sure if I'll need something heavier than that; the ones for gunpla are pretty light. (I have an assortment of xacto knives and files so I should be fine on that front.)
2. Can anyone recommend a basic set of brushes? Games Workshop sells a set that looks pretty nice, but it's also $54 which seems pricey to me. Again, I've got a few that I use for gunpla, but I need to get some new stuff anyway and I never used anything actually good for that because I don't do any serious painting for them.
3. I live in a pretty humid area (the american south) and that's not something I can easily change. Right now I'm not planning on doing any outside stuff besides spray priming and maybe zenithal stuff, so is that going to be a problem as long as I'm diligent about moving stuff back indoors asap?

1. A set of the basic xuron clippers will be all you need and your gunpla clippers will be great for doing additional clean up.

2. GW brushes are kinda crap nowadays. I recommend rosemary and company but they can be hard to source. There is an American distributor which I can't recall the name of, but you should be able to find them with a quick Google. People also swear by Raphael brushes but I wasn't impressed with the few I've purchased. There's also Windsor and Newton series 7 but they seem to be having QA issues lately. If you have access to an art store who carries them and can inspect the brushes before buying it's still a good bet, though. There are also a few hyped sets such as broken toad's and the recent squidmar Kickstarter set, but I have not used those.

3. No, you should be fine.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

mtg doesn't really fit in that bucket, it's much more expensive than its competitors but for all its flaws it's still a lot better at dealing with big balance problems than its main competitors, it's very different from the GW strategy of spending their revenue on building increasingly large foam middle fingers to point at their fans

I disagree regarding MTG. For the last 18 months or so the balance of the game has been as historic levels of bad. There are more cards currently banned in standard than there have been at almost any point in history. No TCG has really ever had the market share of MTG. I think its probably fair to say in past 25ish years, one or two have probably been better games from a game design standpoint, however sunk cost mentality is going to prevent people from doing more than dabble in other games. If you play MTG, you are either likely a casual player who doesn't give a poo poo about any of this at all, or you are invested and other games just aren't something you'll consider as a replacement. Also MTG has been changing their philosophy to heavily target whales"for paper products. All this increases profits but it does not make their player base feel good.

GW has, to me, seemed to be working hard to listen to things people want to keep them in the ecosystem. Tournaments are popular and rules they provide in 8e are bad for tournaments? 9e rules changes weight heavily to making the game support the type of gameplay that tournament players want. Heck the first supplement is a tournament mission pack that the major event organizers have reviewed and agreed to support. Things like this go hand in hand with having more profits and happier players. Now you get to buy your mission pack from GW, and now their terrain isn't poo poo for your events because the rules make those window-full terrain pieces work for competitive play so you can buy more of their terrain. However they know a lot of people do not love that comp. lifestyle, so they also put a robust narrative system in the core rules. GW asks for people to put a lot of money into the hobby, but they are making decisions that give value to most/all players in return.

X-Wing is doing ok, or was pre-COVID. FFG as a whole has had some shake ups in the last year due to Asmodee being more involved. They've shut down less profitable games, and changes some policies for existing games. For example, they put a hiatus on reprint ships with new sculpts for 2.0. They realized that the transition packs they made were so good people effectively could buy that and then nothing else unless they made new ships. So now they've shifted strategy to new ships, and supplemental products like alt art damage decks, but overall that hasn't been bad. Honestly in a lot of ways it is what players have asked for. Asmodee however has implemented a pretty awful policy regarding defective products. FFG used to just do customer service themselves, and mail you a replacement game piece etc. Now they've shifted the entire process of correcting defective products on LGS's who are supposed to replace defective products and return them through the distribution chain. This ties up money for the LGS which are always the most cash poor part of the system. If my copy of Twilight Imperium is missing one card or ship, instead of FFG sending me the missing piece, now my LGS has to hand me another $150 box, then send the one missing a single piece back to their distributor for a refund. What if the LGS doesn't have another copy? The customer is hosed? The LGS has to buy another copy? Hope it is still in production and in stock!

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 5, 2020

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

DoubleDonut posted:

The plastic isn’t that tough, you could use scissors probably. GW brushes are fine, honestly, especially if you follow the GW youtube videos as an introduction. The ‘Eavy Metal style is simple but effective, and GW brushes will probably last you until you get bored of it (if you look after them). Apparently humidity isn’t that big a deal under the conditions you’re describing.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

jassi007 posted:

I disagree regarding MTG. For the last 18 months or so the balance of the game has been as historic levels of bad. There are more cards currently banned in standard than there have been at almost any point in history. No TCG has really ever had the market share of MTG. I think its probably fair to say in past 25ish years, one or two have probably been better games from a game design standpoint, however sunk cost mentality is going to prevent people from doing more than dabble in other games. If you play MTG, you are either likely a casual player who doesn't give a poo poo about any of this at all, or you are invested and other games just aren't something you'll consider as a replacement. Also MTG has been changing their philosophy to heavily target whales"for paper products. All this increases profits but it does not make their player base feel good.
I don't have any particular desire to go to bat for MTG (and I think the core design has issues that are unfixable without rebooting the game), but if you play MTG and one of its competitors (I'm thinking, for instance, netrunner before it got killed off), it becomes clear that there is *some* advantage to a company putting enough money into development that they don't wait for multiple years to deal with broken cards

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I bought 3 Rosemary & Co brushes just recently shipped direct from England and it was still a great price compared to some other brushes I cross shopped. Pleased with them so far but time will tell how they hold up. When I started back painting I just bought 4 GW brushes at the local and they were certainly workable anyway.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Prefacing with the fact that I've never been seriously involved in the competitive scenes of Warhammer or MTG, my impression has always been that WotC at least acknowledges that the tournament circuit is the backbone of their community whereas GW continue to write rules and manage game balance in a way that suggests that the rules writers still think their core audience are open and narrative players.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mikey Purp posted:

Prefacing with the fact that I've never been seriously involved in the competitive scenes of Warhammer or MTG, my impression has always been that WotC at least acknowledges that the tournament circuit is the backbone of their community whereas GW continue to write rules and manage game balance in a way that suggests that the rules writers still think their core audience are open and narrative players.

Things have as of the last few years been moving toward the opposite. WotC is really targeting whales in digital and paper with $100 booster packs and all sorts of cosmetic nonsense in digital while pulling the rug out from under organized play multiple times. People who attempt to make a living by being MTG "pros" have not had a good couple years in general. There have been multiple re-writes of the entire tournament system to the point that nobody even knows what the gently caress high level invitational events are called or how to qualify for them. Even pre-COVID they also drastically reduced coverage, which was one of the most popular things about competitive MTG. You could just spend your weekends watching your favorite pro players and/or formats. For reasons that I still don't understand, they just decided that all that exposure to their fan base wasn't worth the cost and went from streaming events like 40ish weekends a year to like 6-10.

Warhammer's new edition had large parts of the updates targeted at tournament play to try to pull big organizers like Frontline Gaming, Nova, Adpeticon, LVO to use use standard 40k rules and missions and not develop their own fixes for tourney rules. This seems to me like an excellent move, so someone who might want to take the leap to tournament 40k isn't blindsided by rules and missions and play styles that the core rules don't have / cover. In 8e you might show up to an event and if you didn't know how terrain worked and what secondaries where you'd just be confused as gently caress as your opponent would just take actions and score points while you are trying to read the event packet to understand what was happening. Now all of those things are just in the 9e core rulebook.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

tangy yet delightful posted:

I bought 3 Rosemary & Co brushes just recently shipped direct from England and it was still a great price compared to some other brushes I cross shopped. Pleased with them so far but time will tell how they hold up. When I started back painting I just bought 4 GW brushes at the local and they were certainly workable anyway.

I love my Rosemary’s, the price means that you don’t hate the company if you get an (infrequent) dud one, and every good one feels like you made the right decision. I do believe there’s a skill bell curve regarding brushes, and good brushes are important for the middle bit where most people reside. If you’re starting out or painting jesus they’re less important.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Alright, thanks for the advice. I figure I'll start with just emulating a tutorial until I get used to painting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DoubleDonut posted:

Alright, thanks for the advice. I figure I'll start with just emulating a tutorial until I get used to painting.

I recommend this video in particular, and the entire channel in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BlVYFxfRA

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I had actually just watched that video, and I’m checking out some of his other stuff.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I said come in! posted:

This is one of my all time favorite miniatures i've painted I think.

What is it?

I mean, obvs. IZZA KITTY KNIGHT! but where's it from?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Finished Mollog's Mob. Tesserect Glow is pure black light haunted house hilarity, I love it.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Finished Mollog's Mob. Tesserect Glow is pure black light haunted house hilarity, I love it.

Can't wait to get mine to play around with.

Everything will be neon green!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Yea this is largely it for me. I have a strong love-hate relationship with the hobby side of things, and initially got into it for the game. Then left it for "better" games. Then realized I can't stand the people those games attract :) Now I'm back to Warhammer just because I know I'll be able to find enough places that play/sell it. The market status allure is real.

I should finally get my replacement air pressure regulator today :dance: and I've got nothing to do this evening but play with it! I've got some decent-sized terrain to practice on, then I'm going to practice on Space Marines to get my color scheme down, then a Plagueburst Crawler, then Poxwalkers and lastly I'll do the Plague Marines.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I were to get something like this - with the caveat that it's solely to get into painting the minis because the paints + the models seem like a good value (no commenting on if it's a good value within the context of playing the WH40K game)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/sm-Paint-Set-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

WOULD that be a good value, and would I be able to get more models later and have leftover paint to use? Those pots look smaller than the normal Citadel pots, but I can't tell. Can I just buy some highlight colors later to do some highlighting to go from battle ready to parade ready or whatever?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Those are their standard 12 ml paint pots. Yes, you'll have more than enough paint remaining to paint many many more models. Their paints are MSRP $4.55/pot so 6 pots of paint is almost the cost of that box alone. The Easy Build Intercessor squad is $15 for 3 dudes, so you're saving at least $5 with that box versus buying the paints and the models separately.

I'm not sure what the difference is between "Battle Ready" and "Parade Ready"; I'm guessing just an arbitrarily amount of More Effort / colors for the latter. So... Yes, you'll be in a fair position to pick up a couple more colors and models and paint away

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I got a set similar to that and it was really poor quality. The starter brush in particular got relegated to glue and stuff almost immediately

A quick look on amazon says you can get the vallejo game colour starter set for $30, which contains 16 colours instead of 5 (admittedly it doesn’t come with any washes or base texturing paint).

That would free you up to buy any model you wanted to get started on.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is between "Battle Ready" and "Parade Ready"; I'm guessing just an arbitrarily amount of More Effort / colors for the latter. So... Yes, you'll be in a fair position to pick up a couple more colors and models and paint away

Battle Ready is base coats, Parade Ready is with layering and highlights etc.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

If I were to get something like this - with the caveat that it's solely to get into painting the minis because the paints + the models seem like a good value (no commenting on if it's a good value within the context of playing the WH40K game)

WOULD that be a good value, and would I be able to get more models later and have leftover paint to use? Those pots look smaller than the normal Citadel pots, but I can't tell. Can I just buy some highlight colors later to do some highlighting to go from battle ready to parade ready or whatever?

the paints are standard size iirc but the washes/texture are usually in a larger pot size but for these sets are in the standard pot size. You'll have heaps leftover. I'm still using a small pot of reikland fleshshade for example.

I started building out my citadel paints with a starter set but the one without the minis. You get a little bit more variety than the ones with the minis. The new 40k one looks pretty decent not sure the price but you get some nice colors in it like retributor armour and the new tesseract glow technical as well as some primaries you can mix your own colors from.

I wouldn't worry *too* much about the differences between bases and layers etc. you can still highlight with a base paint and base with a layer paint.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think Vallejo Game Color used to be bad but they reformulated and now it's good, or something?

:shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

I got a set similar to that and it was really poor quality. The starter brush in particular got relegated to glue and stuff almost immediately

A quick look on amazon says you can get the vallejo game colour starter set for $30, which contains 16 colours instead of 5 (admittedly it doesn’t come with any washes or base texturing paint).

That would free you up to buy any model you wanted to get started on.

This is a good point about brushes: I can't speak to the quality of those "Starter Brushes" but at the very least you'll want a slightly larger flat brush, and then a smaller layer brush and maybe a really fine detail one if you're interested in that / have the funds.

That said, your vallejo link is $50 for me. Although there is another vendor that has it for $45. Either way that's not a bad deal for the number of paints, and personally I much prefer Dropper Bottle paints than GW's pots.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

As well as the brush being crap at least 1 and maybe 2 of the paints were unusable from when I got them. Although they weren’t in that set listed - it was the older white (ceramite?) and the rakarth flesh.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I think it's a good way to start. They're normal sized paint pots and should be fine for learning the basics, plus you get three models that you can use in an actual game if that's something you're interested in.

That being said, there are lots of paint sets available from different companies, but if you're dead set on 40k I don't really see a problem with that set except that it doesn't come with a red.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

What is it?

I mean, obvs. IZZA KITTY KNIGHT! but where's it from?

It's from here https://bloodcarrotknights.com/collection/cat-knights

They ship from Russia, so it takes like a month plus to get to you, but it's worth it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sab669 posted:

This is a good point about brushes: I can't speak to the quality of those "Starter Brushes" but at the very least you'll want a slightly larger flat brush, and then a smaller layer brush and maybe a really fine detail one if you're interested in that / have the funds.

That said, your vallejo link is $50 for me. Although there is another vendor that has it for $45. Either way that's not a bad deal for the number of paints, and personally I much prefer Dropper Bottle paints than GW's pots.

I actually got that vallejo kit a while ago in order to try them out. I love the dropper bottles and all the paints have really good coverage. The metal colors in there are pretty bad, I highly suggest supplementing it with the GW metals or the Vallejo "Metal Color" line

Also the GW washes (for recess shading and stuff) are some of the best. Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade are going to be necessary at some point, except if you want to paint terrain where it's much better to make your own washes.

When I got back into things I got a pack of these kolinsky brushes which I've used for almost everything that involved paint. And of those I've just used the 4 and 2 sizes for base coats then details, respectively. Super small brushes may seem like a cool idea but it's easier and more efficient to use a very sharp brush for detail than a micro brush. For priming, washes, basing, drybrushing, varnishing etc I use a dirt cheap set of brushes I got at the supermarket as I can just beat those up and not give a poo poo.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

There's something to be said about using and buying cheap brushes. You really shouldn't use good brushes on things like washes and metallic paints, so having a few cheap brushes like something out of a kit is useful. I'm currently using the Army Painter regiment brush as my go-to all around brush for base coating, washes, metallics, etc and it's fine. It came out of the Army Painter mega paint set. I'm also using a cheap $3 brush I got from my FLGS as my go-to detail and highlighting brush, since it just works and comes to a nice point.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hate painting black.

Got some work done on my Emperor's Champion last night. Based the sword off this image in the new core rulebook.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

There's something to be said about using and buying cheap brushes. You really shouldn't use good brushes on things like washes and metallic paints, so having a few cheap brushes like something out of a kit is useful. I'm currently using the Army Painter regiment brush as my go-to all around brush for base coating, washes, metallics, etc and it's fine. It came out of the Army Painter mega paint set. I'm also using a cheap $3 brush I got from my FLGS as my go-to detail and highlighting brush, since it just works and comes to a nice point.
I go to my friendly local craft store and buy whatever brushes look pointy and are on sale

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah I've kept my GW brushes for base, metallics. As for washing is it just because you're kinda slapping the brush everywhere?

I was planning to do some small area washing, like pin washing, with a Rosemary brush. Is that ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I've kept my GW brushes for base, metallics. As for washing is it just because you're kinda slapping the brush everywhere?

I was planning to do some small area washing, like pin washing, with a Rosemary brush. Is that ok?

You can use them for washes fine if you remember to clean them. Washes run up into the brush and can cause splitting like anything else over time.