Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Pirate warriors is a faithful adaptation of one piece, which is to say that you shouldn't ever pick Sanji on a stage where you have to fight a woman.

The Kizuna system in PW3 does make this easier, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Depressing how quick PW4 fizzled out though :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked some of the changes in PW4 but the new system also made some characters feel like complete rear end. Law went from one of my fav in 3 to complete crap in 4.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
That moment when I'm playing Dynasty Warriors 5, and Zhong Hui is *ripping* through my back line bases on Wu Zhang Plains... and I briefly forget that this isn't DW8, and I'm not about to go beat the piss out the arrogant dickwad with the floating swords, but some generic douchebag with a spear...

EDIT: Also, in Samurai Warriors 1, I forgot how much of just a murder-playground Keiji's "Dance of Osaka" stage is. Literally one-man army, to the point of there literally being a mission to tell your allies to get lost and stop interfering in your fight.

Only problem: I got a little kill-crazy, and forgot how this level went. By the time I first approached Goemon and triggered the "kill 100 enemies in 5 minutes" mission... there weren't 100 enemies left on the map. Oops.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 23, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Orochi Warriors 4 Ultimate in on sale on PSN, but I seem to remember people being pretty mild on vanilla OW4. OW3 was one of my favorite Warriors games, so how's 4 Ultimate?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

It's a definite improvement over the base game, though still not as good as 3 Ultimate. I thought it was worth the money, but I could other people not agreeing.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Maleketh posted:

It's a definite improvement over the base game, though still not as good as 3 Ultimate. I thought it was worth the money, but I could other people not agreeing.

It's a rather slim update, all things considered, although part of it is WO3U is actually like the second or third update to WO3- this is much closer to what WO3 Hyper was to WO3. It mostly either adds stuff that should have been in the base game (particularly, a lot of the quality of life improvements it brought forward from WO3U) or changes up the balance so that magic doesn't completely trivialize everything (it just trivializes most things) or that the Dynasty Warriors characters aren't so far behind everyone else when it comes to earning S-ranks due to lacking Hyper Attacks or massive room-filling bullshit outside of large-combo magic.

The additions are not nearly as fleshed out as WO3U's either- one new chapter that's ok (entirely pulled from old maps- not a single original map to be found in WO4U's new roster) and Infinite Mode which is... eeeh? It's ok. The time limit balance is very wacky considering some of the things it asks you to do and how much space you might have to cover to do it, but it's probably not much worse overall then Gauntlet Mode. It's not really worth the $40 they're asking for as an update to WO4 and I'd wait for a sale or just skip.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There are two really annoying things WO4U's Infinity Mode does that make me feel like it falls very short of being a thoroughly enjoyable experience. First of all, enemies are spread out across the map in exceedingly passive units with very small numbers of troops. So 90% of the time you'll be going from enemy group to enemy group, since they barely chase you and there are at most 50 guys in every group. It gets tiresome fast. Secondly, some of the missions require that you cleanse a number of pillars - the cleansing process makes it so you're locked into an animation and any random mook attacking you cancels you out of it. Your two teammates are barely useful in terms of covering you, and are mostly there to explore the map for you. The worst part is that the same annoyance occurs when you reach the exit point: enemies spawn and head towards it, but you can only fully exit the map if the escape bar fills while you're in the exit point. Exiting the point, attacking or being attacked resets the bar to 0%. Which means the most efficient way to exit the map is to round around in circles with a fast horse, knocking mooks down.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Alright, I'm unlocking endings in Samurai Warriors 1 (with XL going).

And uhh, Okuni's Magoichi Ending is proving... suspiciously elusive. I've looked online. No gates are falling (not even taking out enemy gates), and I'm taking down Noh, then Oichi, then Nobunaga. No ending. I've tried taking out Noh both before, and after Oichi starts moving. Nothing. There's nothing else online about anything else involved in this particular ending. Any ideas, or did Xtreme Legends break Okuni's endings or something?

(Also, the text when encountering Noh is weird. A couple videos have it match what she says (simply "You are sweet"), but in my game, the text has Noh saying "You are a sweet boy". Wtf? Were the videos maybe a european version with extra typos and poo poo fixed after the US release?)

EDIT: Okay, I just tried for Okuni's Noh ending instead, and still got nothing. I'm starting to wonder if maybe that half-joke about XL breaking Okuni's extra endings maybe not actually being that far off?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I started wondering if maybe I had to get one of her normal endings before I could start getting her alternate endings with everyone else, so I finished her story mode, and lo and loving behold, that's what did it.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 25, 2020

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I never played any of the pirate warriors games(never watched the show), but how does 4 compare to 3 since people are talking it up?

I ask cause 4 is on sale right now on PSN, but 3 isn't heh.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Were there any big changes to rank/minibosses in HW:definitive vs the originals? Basically I really disliked the slogs of the minibosses in the original release, and also the 1 hit adventure maps.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Were there any big changes to rank/minibosses in HW:definitive vs the originals? Basically I really disliked the slogs of the minibosses in the original release, and also the 1 hit adventure maps.

Nope. The Giant Monsters are still the worst part of the game, and while I think the Adventure Maps have had stuff scrambled a bit, all the old types of stuff are still in there, including the one-hit maps.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RoyalScion posted:

They got mostly minor changes, but pretty good ones. The Imprisoned and Ganon, for instance, no longer get back up at half bar every time. The 3DS release introduced controlling multiple characters and when you have more than one near one of the bosses you get magic every time you hit it and do more damage which helps make them a lot more consistent since a full mana attack knocks them down without doing the subweapon puzzle. Also the maps were completely rescaled to not be as bullshit since every offical DLC map was incorporated into progression so its a hell of a lot smoother if you're doing Adventure Maps.

The best change they made though was drastically increasing the amount of HP damage you could take for an A rating. In the first release it was 5 hearts total on any map. In this re-release they rebalanced it so your damage taken is represented as an HP percentage and depending on the difficulty of the map you can lose between 80%-140% and still get the A.

Also for the one hit maps they're mostly irrelevant at this point since you can take a hit and still get an A rank at least on the original map and original Master mode map and the enemies are scaled a hell of a lot lower than they were in the original release. If you mean the 'all attacks are devestating maps' you can still cheese those with the bow

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Thanks. Did they improve any move sets? I remember certain ones feeling really terrible to play, like Fi.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think any movesets have been changed at all, minor tweaks at best. If you hated a moveset, Definitive probably isn't going to change your mind.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RoyalScion posted:

Thanks. Did they improve any move sets? I remember certain ones feeling really terrible to play, like Fi.

Not really, they only really did some incredibly minor adjustments to movesets.

I did find once I watched a few youtube videos that I got a lot better at playing people and don't even really mind Fi anymore. The only character I really dislike playing now is Tetra because woof is she just sort of bad for no reason.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Wait, are we talking about the rare few 'don't get hit' maps in master quest or the 'all attacks are lethal' that are sprinkled throughout? The latter is extremely trivialized by a bow and the former? Eh.. Anyone with long range attacks. Even link's C3 move was used a lot to wipe out enemies from distance. I forget if the wall of water skill helps or not.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

quote:

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has an interview with Dynasty Warriors series producer Akihiro Suzuki in celebration of the franchise’s 20th anniversary, in which he teases multiple upcoming titles.

“I hope to be able to announce a 20th anniversary title in the near future,” Suzuki said. “By the way, there is not only one anniversary title.”

Suzuki also said that there are no plans for an Xtreme Legends version of Dynasty Warriors 9, as “the system itself isn’t suited to Xtreme Legends.”

In discussing Dynasty Warriors 9, Suzuki said, “Dynasty Warriors 9 wasn’t received well among people looking for an experience like previous entries, and we got some tough criticism, but there were also voices of praise. I think the challenges we took on were too big and tangential.”

He continued, “Future numbered titles may not have an open world. However, while I don’t know how to best bring out the charm of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms or what type of title that would be, I do want to try at it again.”

Suzuki added, “Making a Dynasty Warriors 9-2 is an interesting idea, but that’s only my personal opinion.”

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/dynasty-warriors-20th-anniversary-title-announcement-coming-soon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Wait, are we talking about the rare few 'don't get hit' maps in master quest or the 'all attacks are lethal' that are sprinkled throughout? The latter is extremely trivialized by a bow and the former? Eh.. Anyone with long range attacks. Even link's C3 move was used a lot to wipe out enemies from distance. I forget if the wall of water skill helps or not.

Yeah, Shiek is super busted with her water skill that blocks damage on those.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
C'mon, c'mon, bring back Dynasty Warriors Gundam. You know you want to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

C'mon, c'mon, bring back Dynasty Warriors Gundam. You know you want to.

Ya i hope so, they made 3 of them in such quick succession then never went back to it other than a Vita game. Maybe Bandai doesn't want to give them the license? Not sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I assume one of the announcements would be Samurai Warriors 5?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My personal feeling is that open world would be great for Empire spinoff games but more focused linear levels would be better for main series games.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Crowetron posted:

Orochi Warriors 4 Ultimate in on sale on PSN, but I seem to remember people being pretty mild on vanilla OW4. OW3 was one of my favorite Warriors games, so how's 4 Ultimate?

I"m loving 4U. I also loved 3 and I played before 3U. One thing I like way better about 4 is the lack of those stupid ballista segments. One thing I don't like about 4U is locking a resource (mostly) behind pandemonium levels that pop up randomly that you have almost no chance of winning on a first playthrough (until the end maybe). That having been said; I still can't familiarize myself with most of the Samurai Warriors cast. I know 3 Kingdoms pretty drat well but Nobunaga's Ambition...less so.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I"m loving 4U. I also loved 3 and I played before 3U. One thing I like way better about 4 is the lack of those stupid ballista segments. One thing I don't like about 4U is locking a resource (mostly) behind pandemonium levels that pop up randomly that you have almost no chance of winning on a first playthrough (until the end maybe). That having been said; I still can't familiarize myself with most of the Samurai Warriors cast. I know 3 Kingdoms pretty drat well but Nobunaga's Ambition...less so.

Sounds like someone needs a go at Samurai Warriors 4.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok so I'm playing Warriors Orochi 4 and I get that having a 3* weapon with 8 slots and a gold enhancement upgrades it to...5*? I don't really get it. The weapon doesn't seem to change or anything, it just gets more sparklies underneath. Am I missing something?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

The stars are just a general indicator of the weapon's value. They don't actually dictate anything about its raw power, though they are partly derived from that.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you for that. Now a third thing. I think I might be going crazy. I've been playing DW since 3 or 4, and when 5 came out I got really confused because they took Cheng Pu out of the game. I could never figure out why. Until today when I decided to look up the answer only to find he's in Dynasty Warriors 9. And it's his debut. I am super confused and my 'every time I go to sleep I wake up in an alternate dimension where one very minor thing is different' theory is gaining traction.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

As far as I know DW9 was his debut. I assume you might be confusing him for someone else, but off the top of my head I can't think of who it might be.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Pretty sure he was featured in a big DW3 level as a generic general, maybe that’s why he was in your head?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Yeah I've been playing since 3 as well, and the only people they ever removed from a game, (other than the handful in the early releases of DW6), were Fu Xi and Nu Wa, who were bonus characters in 3, then added back in Orochi.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

6 removed a few characters for that installment, they later returned in 7: Pang De, Xing Cai, Jiang Wei, Da Qiao, Zhu Rong, Mwng Huo and Zuo Ci.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Interesting. Current DW producer (apparently he worked on DW2-4 and produced DW7-9) regrets Wei Yan's beast depiction and wishes they hadn't gone small child with the Qiaos early on. Seems to feel stuck with their depictions now.

twitter

Another thing of interest to note from the screencaps - new character additions seem unlikely to be prioritized.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 9, 2020

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well at this point the Dynasty Warriors roster is enormous and a lot of the characters they've been adding are late stage warriors that don't really get a lot of time to shine. Like did anyone really want Zhang Fei's child bride as a character? I'd much rather they take the ones they do have and make them better.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They should implement another character editor and make every single named officer visually unique. Maybe even have a few settings, for "normal, but has at least one distinct accessory" through "completely random selection of stuff, down to choosing a random weapon/moveset"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Spirit of Sanada did that, every generic you can interact with has its own, slightly customized appearance.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

Thank you for that. Now a third thing. I think I might be going crazy. I've been playing DW since 3 or 4, and when 5 came out I got really confused because they took Cheng Pu out of the game. I could never figure out why. Until today when I decided to look up the answer only to find he's in Dynasty Warriors 9. And it's his debut. I am super confused and my 'every time I go to sleep I wake up in an alternate dimension where one very minor thing is different' theory is gaining traction.

I think Cheng Pu was a Wu generic in literally every single stage Wu had so he had presence even without a face.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ChrisBTY posted:

Cheng Pu only being added in DW9 is such a baffling decision in and of itself. The guy was with Sun Jian since the beginning and played a part in nearly every single engagement right up until Chi Bi. Meanwhile Ding Feng gets added despite the fact that Koei doesn't give a poo poo about Three Kingdoms history after the fall of Shu.

I guess I shouldn't complain since Wu adds have generally been pretty great, same with Wei. Shu is a WAY different story though, there's plenty of interesting people that get shafted in favor of yet another Guan kid. And then there's Xu Shu...

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

The other day I randomly remembered this Romance of the Three Kingdoms translation and had a giggle.

Do not pursue Bullard-Lundmark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

quote:

Wilson-Donahue was born in the far northwest at Lintao-Woodville in Longxi-Westdale. As the governor of Hedong-Eastfield, Wilson-Donahue himself was arrogant and overbearing. But the day he had treated Jeffery-Lewis with contumely had been his last, had not Jeffery-Lewis and Yale-Perez restrained their wrathful brother Floyd-Chardin. e-reading.club

Why did anyone think this was easier to read?