Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

trying out mobile firefox because, in a twist that literally nobody could have seen coming, google chrome started to randomly run like poo poo on my piece of poo poo google phone

I've only used mobile firefox on my Pixel 3a as much as possible since it uses the same chrome renderer but doesn't have any of the high level integration (such as google accounts or passwords). It actually works really well for the most part.

Well, one interesting thing about passwords. Firefox saves passwords too, but if you attempt to login to a website where Chrome has the password, then Firefox will actually ask you if you want to use autofill to fetch the password from Chrome.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i use kiwi browser because you can force pages into dark mode, idk if firefox is better tho

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I use iOS because I hate myself but not enough to use anroid

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ice oream sandwich

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Soricidus posted:

ice oream sandwich
thank oou

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

anroid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
oh boy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

just what literally nobody asked for, the fragile brick phone that folds the wrong direction and becomes a bad tablet

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
"...and what do you call this act?"

"anroid!"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm not one to care about how a phone looks but goddamn that's ugly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I choose to believe that rather than opening to give you a bigger display, simply all the internals fall out.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that would be awesome, like an easy to open phone where you can upgrade the ram and stuff

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/30/google-helps-to-highlight-black-owned-businesses-in-maps-and-search/

quote:

Beginning today, merchants with a verified Business Profile can add a Black-owned business attribute to their profile. Google says it is also integrating the attribute into the Grow With Google digital skills training program as part of its $300 million pledge to support underrepresented entrepreneurs. When the attribute is added to a profile, users on Maps and Search will see an icon and a label identifying the business as being Black-owned.

are you a racist? great now you can avoid spending money in neg...colored peoples shops!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sereri posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/30/google-helps-to-highlight-black-owned-businesses-in-maps-and-search/

are you a racist? great now you can avoid spending money in neg...colored peoples shops!

This is a very Google Thing to do lmao

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
since this is the google thread

loving that a single google meet video chat in chrome pegs my processor at 100%

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soricidus posted:

that would be awesome, like an easy to open phone where you can upgrade the ram and stuff

a phone but it's an ATX case and motherboard at 1:5 scale with a touchscreen on one of the side panels

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Sereri posted:

proud boys and 3%ers don't even need andy ngo anymore!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

crepeface posted:

i use kiwi browser because you can force pages into dark mode, idk if firefox is better tho

dork mode

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the pine phone is too big imo.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
google pixel 4a has an OLED, made of mighty plastic and only one camera. also a headphone jack, fingerprint reader and is only a little bigger than the iphone SE. would probably be my ideal andorid if the internals weren't garbo.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sorry can you please put that in a checkbox format so i can understand it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so when they kill play music, will there be a way to play offline music on your telephone ootb?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

google pixel 4a has an OLED, made of mighty plastic and only one camera. also a headphone jack, fingerprint reader and is only a little bigger than the iphone SE. would probably be my ideal andorid if the internals weren't garbo.

using iphone SE as a size measurement but actually referring to iphone 6 size should be probatable

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

so when they kill play music, will there be a way to play offline music on your telephone ootb?

lol

youtube music loving sucks! probably switching to apple music in the near future

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jenny Agutter posted:

using iphone SE as a size measurement but actually referring to iphone 6 size should be probatable

the OG SE size is gone forever, you must accept it much like youtube music.

also it keeps telling me to transfer my music and i am loving dreading it. i have a family plan for play music/youtube red and i can't imagine going back to ads but i also can't imagine subscribing to a whole new service just for music it sucks real bad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yt music supports on-device music (in the dumbest way possible, totally segregated from any streaming library you establish, but it does)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

the OG SE size is gone forever, you must accept it much like youtube music.

also it keeps telling me to transfer my music and i am loving dreading it. i have a family plan for play music/youtube red and i can't imagine going back to ads but i also can't imagine subscribing to a whole new service just for music it sucks real bad.

I guess they managed to not transfer over the streaming rights they negotiated for gpm so the YouTube music selection is a lot worse. the tagging is all hosed so for example if you browse miles Davis albums every one is dated sometime in the 2010s. the new algorithms suck, idk why but it annoys me that whenever you start a radio station from a song the next song is always by the same artist. at least in the app you can set it to not play videos but I haven't found the option in browser. all of the videos you've liked in YouTube that are classified as music are mixed in with your actual music choices so now this https://youtu.be/FOMIqUwxCn0 is mixed in with my liked songs. it's a piece of poo poo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

just sub to spotify how hard is this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this is the Google thread

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

in case anyone is wondering, bull does indeed own 3 $1000+ smartphones which he swaps between out of bordeom

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JosephCox/status/1291018730873532416

??????

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, I guess that's a way to say "We made it pink so most men won't buy it but it's too large for most women's hands"?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
boldly defying convention to make a phone that appeals to no one, and woke-washing it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

boldly defying convention to make a phone that appeals to no one

Sir, this is the android thread...

infernal machines posted:

, and woke-washing it

But this is somewhat uncommon for a company selling a phone running the HN OS.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

carry on then posted:

in case anyone is wondering, bull does indeed own 3 $1000+ smartphones which he swaps between out of bordeom

it's called being a power user

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

carry on then posted:

well yea they each suit different needs. do you really think important people only have one watch or one suit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hegel Exercises posted:

well yea they each suit different needs. do you really think important people only have one watch or one suit?

he works from home even when there isn't a pandemic and as best i can tell, the only thing he uses his phones for is watching videos and taking photos of the night sky

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I guess that's a way to say "We made it pink so most men won't buy it but it's too large for most women's hands"?

even the average "small" phone is too big, so most women just go for the big phone anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

crepeface posted:

even the average "small" phone is too big, so most women just go for the big phone anyway

when hugephones started becoming a thing i think i saw more women with them than men. i thought it was maybe about lack of usable pockets on womens clothing and if you're having to carry a bag for your stuff anyway might as well have the big phone, but maybe it's this too