Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

I'm kinda weirded out by the sense of scale in this game, and it's not just where units are involved (where it is understandable) - the World Trade Center had around 400 meters and doesn't fit on the map, the Eiffel Tower is 3/4 that and you can comfortably see it whole with place to spare, not to mention their width.

The WTC was clearly done that way to avoid having large areas of the map visually blocked by the towers. Notice how there's nothing behind them.

The Crazy Ivan concept is not bad. There are mods that rescue the unit by making it tough enough to stand on the front line and fast enough to run into a battle, rig a few bombs, and hopefully run out again. That turns Ivan into a suitably annoying harassment and distraction unit. The unit as he is now is definitely a holdover from RA2's even wackier phases in development. There's concept art up online for an even sillier game with even crazier units than what we already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

The Canadian flag falling into the broadcast is still hilarious all these years later :allears:

Same, love that little sight gag every single time. And yeah, also put me in the camp of pretty much never using Crazy Ivans. Just to finicky of a unit to use when you could just build some more Rhino Tanks or some other units instead. Great idea for a unit though, just not proper execution, which is definitely a theme in C&C. (TS Jump Jet Infantry, RA1 Chrono Tanks, etc.)

As for the mission, a nice short and sweet one, and turning the Eiffel Tower into the world's biggest Tesla Coil sure is an amazing idea. Never thought to use the random trucks puttering around as targets for Crazy Ivan bombs though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
There is one interesting thing Crazy Ivans provide that I'm sure Jobbo will cover.

The unit itself though is definitely really bad. Remote detonation would make them so much better, especially if you could sneak bombs onto stuff like harvesters.

At the same time I can't hate them existing as another attempt to give the Soviets more gimmicks than just brute force.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Mokinokaro posted:

The unit itself though is definitely really bad. Remote detonation would make them so much better, especially if you could sneak bombs onto stuff like harvesters.

Iirc that was an original design concept, and maybe can even be re-enabled by mods?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy Ivans never felt like they synergized with the rest of RA2's Soviet arsenal. The Soviets rely on mass production and brute force, while the Crazy Ivan feels more suited for something like the GLA from Generals where you need to move fast and rely on ambushes and traps.

Also I'm late to the conversation, but the history of East Asia in the RAverse seems weird. Right in the intro movie for RA2 there's a hotline phone specifically for Tokyo right beside the one for Moscow, and in the first Soviet mission there's the Iwo Jima memorial in Washington DC. I have no problem imagining some sort of Japanese-American war occurred at some point in the RAverse; it's no stretch of the imagination to say that internal pressures and the limits of geography would have pushed imperial Japan to try building an empire in China and southeast Asia and brought them into conflict with America regardless of whether or not Nazi Germany ever existed. However, I have no idea how this conflict was resolved, since while the phone implies Japan is still a Great Power, Korea also seems to be an independent military power in its own right, so who knows what happened there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Could be just Korea being able to talk its way into the Allied Nations and managing to stave off the possible Japanese imperial ambitions that way, if there still are any.
Realistic diplomacy isn't exactly a thing in CnC. See also: Kane backing the USSR in RA1 and Russia being GDI in TD.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Who are the GLA and what is Generals?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

quote:

Eiffel Tower

Loxbourne posted:

Arc de Triomphe

Looks like somebody didn't paid enough attention to the mission briefing. The objective clearly states we need to electrify the PARIS TOWER. You know, the one next to the Paris Arch of Winning and the Generic world-famous museum.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, the issue is that Korea was annexed by Japan all the way back in 1910, long before Hitler's removal, so it being an independent power again in the late 1960s suggests something major happened. Still, you're right that this is one of those situations where you need to keep the MST3K mantra in mind and just go with it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What if, like... RA2 is the universe where other Chrono Legionnaires send stuff to?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Radisic posted:

Well, the issue is that Korea was annexed by Japan all the way back in 1910, long before Hitler's removal, so it being an independent power again in the late 1960s suggests something major happened.
Well, since the memorial implies there was some kind of a Japan-America war, maybe Korea got liberated and turned into an Allied-supported state that pushes their interests in the region.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 30, 2020

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk
The hotline phone doesn't necessarily imply that Tokyo isn't occupied at this point. After all, Russia was ostensibly a puppet state from the intro and there's no way that phone was installed after the Russian invasion started. Arguably, the fact that we don't see Japan intervening is evidence that they are still under the severe military buildup restrictions of something like the post-WW2 JSDF limits.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What if, like... RA2 is the universe where other Chrono Legionnaires send stuff to?

Turns out the Chrono Legionaires were behind it all. Kane, Tiberium, Yuri...it's all a Chrono plot.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Turns out the Chrono Legionaires were behind it all. Kane, Tiberium, Yuri...it's all a Chrono plot.

If we ever get to the moon, you'll that it always has been.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 06: Operation: Sub-Divide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pMR7Qqlqg
Operation: Sub-Divide

I don't know about this Yuri guy. You sure we can tr~urk!

Yuri is our Glorious Savior. Please, try the tea.

Hawaii, United States

Objective: Destroy the Allied Pacific Fleet!

Briefing: The Americans are on their knees, begging for mercy. The last remnants of their fleet at Pearl Harbor waits helplessly for your relentless attack. However, we have news that the Koreans are not yet beaten and may attempt to join up with the American Navy. They must not succeed.

Author's note: An interesting mission, though I admit that I dislike the starting position you're in.

Name: Alexander Romanov
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Nicholas Worth

Premier of the Soviet Union. Has a pet turtle named Harry; no dove though. A rather jovial fellow. Either has a medical condition, or is affected by Yuri by some fashion.

Name: Yuri
Occupation: Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union [Unconfirmed]
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all!

Name: Gen. Vladimir
Voiced/Played by: Adam Greggor

General of the Soviet Union's forces. Pompous glory hog. War Hero of the Soviet Union. Knows what Yuri is up to, and vows to take him down.

Dreadnought
RANGE: Long-Extreme
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: Dreadnought Missiles
COST: 2000

This large ship is useful in attacking both enemy ships and ground installations. It hits with powerful long-range missiles, making it difficult for enemy units to approach within range to destroy it.

Author's Note: Expensive and desperately in need of support for self-defense, the Dreadnought will do wonders provided your enemy can't shoot down its missiles. The line about attacking enemy ships is more wishful thinking and luck than anything else.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Allied Admirals now refuse to send their ships to sea, so quick was your destruction of Pearl Harbor."

Slower than Par Time: "The Koreans and Americans have been successfully divided. The Pacific is ours."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 12, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I for one trust Yuri implicitly.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You didn't kill all the cows on the starting island?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I'm sure that the Premier is just fine, and that good old chap Yuri is solely looking out for him, what with suddenly having fainting spells and whatnot. Yup, the guy with the ability to create mass mind control devices and control minds over a phone definitely is on the up and up... ;)

Anyway, I am always a sucker for inverse versions of another campaign's map. The Allies do a pretty decent job of putting pressure on your base, double so with its bad location, but at least you have plenty of ore/gems to build up some solid defenses. Also love Dreadnoughts, even if they are pretty poor at naval combat.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If by "pretty poor" you mean: is guaranteed to lose a 1v1 against a sea scorpion. :v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The Premier ,Lenin bless him seems to have been negatively impacted by the stresses of his position and should consider a convalescent leave of absence, I hear Leningrad is good this time of year.

I have all confidence the Yuri can find a good replacement for the time being.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

If by "pretty poor" you mean: is guaranteed to lose a 1v1 against a sea scorpion. :v:

Hey now, as long as the captain and every single member of the bridge staff of the other ship all suddenly drop dead/asleep the moment combat begins, the Dreadnought might someday be able to hit them. That and who in their right mind would build a Sea Scorpion anyway? :crossarms:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

anilEhilated posted:

Russia being GDI in TD.

This bit about C&C1 coming from a Soviet victory in RA1 was made up by fans on the C&C wiki. I think it originally came from someone writing up the C&C setting as a unified timeline for a forum that discussed alternate universes. But Westwood certainly didn't come up with it. RA2 pretty much ignores any link by dropping Kane altogether, and RA1 was from a freewheeling era with a much more relaxed attitude to continuity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

You didn't kill all the cows on the starting island?

Yeah so I learned yesterday youre supposed to get a cash bomus if you do, and I don't think I saw a crate there so :shrug: not sure why.

You get a crate for the nearby island bunker, as shown, and also one from (one of) the memoruals being blown up.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Loxbourne posted:

This bit about C&C1 coming from a Soviet victory in RA1 was made up by fans on the C&C wiki. I think it originally came from someone writing up the C&C setting as a unified timeline for a forum that discussed alternate universes. But Westwood certainly didn't come up with it. RA2 pretty much ignores any link by dropping Kane altogether, and RA1 was from a freewheeling era with a much more relaxed attitude to continuity.

I thought the allies were gdi? Wasn't it their campaign that had the blurb about it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
RA2 continues from the allied victory scenario.

TD depicts Russia as GDI aligned.

https://youtu.be/TD_eflZ95P8

The fan theory is that the Soviet empire fell apart some time after the Soviet victory and the GDI rose up in the power vacuum.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 5, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I thought the allies were gdi? Wasn't it their campaign that had the blurb about it?

Just played through the GDI campaign in the Remaster and there isn't any mention of GDI forming from an Allied power block. The Ant mission in RA1 does have you use the gold color for your team and has a mix at times of Allied and Soviet units to give a nod(no pun intended) to C&C1, but there is nothing in C&C1 to back up anything related to a RA1-C&C1 direct link.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

UED Special Ops posted:

Just played through the GDI campaign in the Remaster and there isn't any mention of GDI forming from an Allied power block. The Ant mission in RA1 does have you use the gold color for your team and has a mix at times of Allied and Soviet units to give a nod(no pun intended) to C&C1, but there is nothing in C&C1 to back up anything related to a RA1-C&C1 direct link.

Nah, I seem to remember the allied campaign in red alert one having a cutscene with a throw away statement about forming a global defense initiative.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, I seem to remember the allied campaign in red alert one having a cutscene with a throw away statement about forming a global defense initiative.

Oh yeah, thought you meant the GDI campaign. Yeah there is a very brief throwaway line about the UN or League of Nations or whatever meeting to discuss creating an international task force, which is probably a reference to the whole lore of GDI that before 1990, they were known as Special Operations Group Echo, Black Ops 9.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

It did, yes.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

"The Unyeted States of America"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The so-far UnYeeted States of America.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HardDiskD posted:

"The Unyeted States of America"

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'd have loved to see what kind of ludicrous mission Seth would've actually put us through, had we attacked the Pentagon. Maybe he truly was on to something, and all of this could've been avoided!

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
I stumbled over an interesting video on the AI of Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert. The channel deals with AI in games and the creator read through the TD/RA source code that was released with the remakes, and gives a summery of his findings.

If you've ever wondered how the AI works, here is your chance.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

I'd have loved to see what kind of ludicrous mission Seth would've actually put us through, had we attacked the Pentagon. Maybe he truly was on to something, and all of this could've been avoided!

"This is Area 51. Kane has been loath to storm it, but I think its time."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Udo Kier is loving wonderful in this game

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parenthesis posted:

I stumbled over an interesting video on the AI of Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert. The channel deals with AI in games and the creator read through the TD/RA source code that was released with the remakes, and gives a summery of his findings.

If you've ever wondered how the AI works, here is your chance.

Thanks, I enjoyed this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Soviet 07: Operation: Chrono Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMD6aACySlw
Operation: Chrono Defense

The stress of the war has negatively affected Premier Romanov worse than we initially expected. He is currently indisposed until further notice, leaving Yuri to lead the Glorious Soviet Union against the Allied dogs. Isn't Yuri just the greatest?

Somewhere in the Ural Mountains, although it is impossible to pinpoint exactly where.

Objective: Protect the Soviet Battle Lab at all costs!

Briefing: The Americans have engaged their Chronosphere; a device that allows them to move soldiers across great distances almost instantly. They can now strike anywhere they wish. You must defend our Battle Lab in the Ural Mountains. The Americans will surely strike there soon in a desperate but doomed attempt to shut down our development of the ultimate battle tank.

Author's note: A simple mission that unlocks the best Soviet unit in the game. Crush all who stand against the Apocalypse Tank!

Name: Yuri
Occupation: Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union [Unconfirmed]
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all!

Name: Gen. Vladimir
Voiced/Played by: Adam Greggor

General of the Soviet Union's forces. Pompous glory hog. War Hero of the Soviet Union. Knows what Yuri is up to, and vows to take him down.

Apocalypse Tank
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: Twin 120mm Cannons
COST: 1750

The ultimate Soviet tank, the Apocalypse Assault Tank has a massive gun. A huge vehicle, the Apocalypse can take large amounts of damage before succumbing. This vehicle can be used to attack both ground and air targets.

Author's Note: The ultimate in tank technology™, nothing can even hope to stand up against the mighty Apocalypse Tank and live. Truly, this singular weapon can spell doom for all that oppose it.

Battle Lab
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 1500
POWER USED: 100
PURPOSE: Unlocks higher tech levels

Many of the more advanced Soviet units and defenses depend upon additional technology found only at the Battle Lab. To create the Soviet special weapons, you must have a Battle Lab at your base. While expensive to build and requiring a lot of power to run, the units and structures available with the Battle Lab make it a necessary addition to any Soviet base.

Author's Note: So similar to the Allied Battle Lab that the manual uses the wrong building image for the manual. (This is also repeated for the Barracks)

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your ruthless efficiency has earned you great respect in the Red Army and made Soviet leadership fear your popularity."

Slower than Par Time: "The battle lab is safe. The Allies will not dare strike inside mother Russia again."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should point out, because I forgot in the video, that certain buildings in the map give out cash crates when garrisoned. Additionally, if the trio of trucks aren't blown up, they go to the area with tents, unload civilians, who allegedly attack the Soviet base. Almost sad I missed that one, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle Lab
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 1500
POWER USED: 100
PURPOSE: Unlocks higher tech levels

Many of the more advanced Soviet units and defenses depend upon additional technology found only at the Battle Lab. To create the Soviet special weapons, you must have a Battle Lab at your base. While expensive to build and requiring a lot of power to run, the units and structures available with the Battle Lab make it a necessary addition to any Soviet base.

Author's Note: So similar to the Allied Battle Lab that the manual uses the wrong building image for the manual. (This is also repeated for the Barracks)
The alpha Soviet lab looked like this, so maybe that's why the image is the same/similar?