Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Breetai posted:

...except for the bit where in all of the prerelease trailer hype for BI they were talking about how her using her powers too much would hurt her and play into the story, so I never used any of her reality-warping/support functions throughout the entire game because I thought it would have some sort of effect on the outcome, thereby gimping myself.

Literally every Bioshock trailer/pre-release hyped up something about the game as a major fundamental feature that changes everything.

The overall theme of the series game play wise is being told you're getting a gleaming 40 piece toolkit you're able mix and match constantly for a huge diversity of game play and in the actual game you'll stick with 3-4 and at best only 1/3 of the toolkit is functionally useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Fartbox posted:

Yeah i don't remember Elizabeth having any powers during gameplay.
Most arenas had preset places you could open tears in and bring stuff like a friendly turret from an alternate universe.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

I tried to play nethack once and it seemed impossible for all but the most powerful powernerds
purists will demand you play with the ASCII art, but using the picture graphics tileset helped me a lot and who cares

Once you understand some of the core actions it's really a pretty special game, even if you don't worry too much about beating it.

e: also lollin at the idea of basing my playstyle on some garbage mentioned in a video game trailer. "you are a superpowerful magic wizard dude.....but everything comes with a cost" oh poo poo!! better never use my magic

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 5, 2020

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Martman posted:

"you are a superpowerful magic wizard dude.....but everything comes with a cost" oh poo poo!! better never use my magic
:smith:

I will go to great lengths and ruin my fun to hear a single line change near the end

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Serephina posted:

What support functions? (did I miss something?) She just literally yells "Booker! Ammo!" and a clip comes flying your way, no prompting needed.

In some setpiece battles she could warp reality to put a skyhook where there was none before or add cover.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jokes posted:

Maybe it’s the drugs, the pandemic, or the cruelty of age, but video games just aren’t as fun as they used to be. I really wish I had more fun playing new video games.

The only games that are fun now are games I’ve already played like Halo or Resident Evil or Diablo 2 or Final Fantasy 5 or Vanquish.

I just don’t think video games are very fun anymore, and it’s kind of turned into a poo poo hobby in the past 5? 10? years. Why is a game about a goose loving with people the funnest game that’s come out in like a year? What are these companies doing? (Nintendo is p fun)

Its funny you pick on Goose Game as your specific example, I didn't play it but I did watch a bit of it and it looks hilarious. My problems are more with the latest Assassins Creed games or The Last of Us 2 or whatever that Samurai PS4 game that just came out. They all look fine but - without trying to sound like an obnoxious smartass - I feel like I've already played them without even looking at them.

It probably just depends on what you personally take from games, I look at my most played games on Steam - Rocket League, Binding of Issac, Football Manager, Spelunky, Counter-Strike, Pinball Arcade, X-com, Stardew Valley, Hitman Puzzle Quest - all fantastic games which are broadly similar in that they are all about enjoying the mechanic of the game. I have 900 hours in Rocket League simply because I have a lot of fun in that game, more fun than anything else I've played.

There are obviously a broad range of people out there that don't want that from their games, they want something where mechanics maybe take a backseat to story and each game is a new "experience" and thats totally fine but I feel I got bored of that sometime in the 360 era. Somewhere out there there is a 50+ year old dude who buys every Assassins Creed game on launch day and loves the gently caress out of it and thats absolutely fine, theres nothing wrong with that BUT I can't help but think to myself: how the gently caress are you not bored of this formula.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Somewhere out there there is a 50+ year old dude who buys every Assassins Creed game on launch day and loves the gently caress out of it and thats absolutely fine, theres nothing wrong with that BUT I can't help but think to myself: how the gently caress are you not bored of this formula.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It probably just depends on what you personally take from games, I look at my most played games on Steam - Rocket League, Binding of Issac, Football Manager, Spelunky, Counter-Strike, Pinball Arcade, X-com, Stardew Valley, Hitman Puzzle Quest - all fantastic games which are broadly similar in that they are all about enjoying the mechanic of the game.

I mean yeah you answered your own question.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I still play some videogames but I don't really find the biggest games particularly fun anymore. Mostly I don't stick around playing a game for very long anymore. I bought the new Mortal Kombat game and played it for like a week and then I was satisfied. Others seem to play their games for months or even years

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

900 hours is too much rocket league though man

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It probably just depends on what you personally take from games, I look at my most played games on Steam - Rocket League, Binding of Issac, Football Manager, Spelunky, Counter-Strike, Pinball Arcade, X-com, Stardew Valley, Hitman Puzzle Quest - all fantastic games which are broadly similar in that they are all about enjoying the mechanic of the game. I have 900 hours in Rocket League simply because I have a lot of fun in that game, more fun than anything else I've played.

Also yeah if your going to box together counter strike, football manager, stardew valley, hitman puzzle quest and pinball as similar games because "there's a mechanic to engage" then I think you can put a hell of games in that bucket all the way to clicker games and games whose mechanic is "storytelling"

900 hours in rocket league dude. you've engaged with the mechanic of "drive car into ball" for 900 hours and not gotten bored but you've made a comment on someone buying a new rear end creed game that'll take them like 25-30 hours if they're completionist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
900 hours in Rocket League doesn't sound nuts considering it's a pretty low-investment thing. What if you tallied all the time you've spent playing Solitaire?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ilmucche posted:

Also yeah if your going to box together counter strike, football manager, stardew valley, hitman puzzle quest and pinball as similar games because "there's a mechanic to engage" then I think you can put a hell of games in that bucket all the way to clicker games and games whose mechanic is "storytelling"

900 hours in rocket league dude. you've engaged with the mechanic of "drive car into ball" for 900 hours and not gotten bored but you've made a comment on someone buying a new rear end creed game that'll take them like 25-30 hours if they're completionist.

lol 900 hours is nothing man, there are people out there who have played dota or counter-strike for literally thousands of hours. What can I say, "drive car into ball" is just a more enjoyable thing to do in a videogame than "run person around 3d environment".

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I haven't even played close to 900 hours of solitaire. I don't feel like many people have. Dota and counterstrike people are also the most brain poisoned video game people out there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

In the grand scheme over a week's time each year since it came out might not be much, but asking how someone doesn't get bored of cods or rear end creeds then tossing that in is a wild comparison to me. Genuinely shocked, not purposefully trying to throw shade. Apologies if I've come off harsh there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big part of a low-investment game is that you can play it for five minutes or you can play it all night, and all that time adds up either way.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

ilmucche posted:

In the grand scheme over a week's time each year since it came out might not be much, but asking how someone doesn't get bored of cods or rear end creeds then tossing that in is a wild comparison to me. Genuinely shocked, not purposefully trying to throw shade. Apologies if I've come off harsh there.

You aren't being particularly harsh man its just how different people play different games. 900 hours is a lot for any single game but what can I say, the mechanics of Rocket League really speak to me and as Ghost kinda put it, sometimes I will play for 10 minutes before going to work in the morning, sometimes I'll sit and play 3 hours at the weekend, it all adds up.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

thats almost 11,000 games of rocket league. I mean that's fair enough, but its also just crazy.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

thats almost 11,000 games of rocket league. I mean that's fair enough, but its also just crazy.

its a lot but i don't find it that crazy. I find the idea of someone playing dota for 20,000 hours crazy but then at least thats usually by people who can earn money from it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I should probably add as a caveat that I was stoned for the vast majority of those 900 hours

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
According to sony I played 900 hours of videogames last year alone and it's really only a couple hours a day, maybe a few more on the weekend.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Am I the only one here that just pauses the game and walks off to do something else? The hours played statistic being a reliable indicator for so many people is amazing to me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have 600 hours in ftl but thats a game that i often leave on in the background and combine with other things like language lessons and lectures and stuff in the background, its good as a distraction when you have ADD

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

FoolyCharged posted:

Am I the only one here that just pauses the game and walks off to do something else? The hours played statistic being a reliable indicator for so many people is amazing to me.

Only if it's some indie or retro thing barely using resources on a PC I'm also doing something else on, I hate wasting power unnecessarily and the last time I left a console running for any length of time was that weird stretch in 2000 where you couldn't get Dreamcast VMUs anywhere.

But yeah Dungeons of Dredmor is my most-played Steam game because it fits those criteria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, I often leave my PC running overnight with whatever game I alt-tabbed from and forgot about still playing. So I have dozens of hours in games I barely even got into.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I left my playstation on overnight once because I had just gotten a decemt ways into a really long cutscene and didn't want to restart it. It was that gameplay break in xenogears

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

[blank] isn't a roguelike

easiest unpopular opinion of all time

anyone that cares can call them "rogue-lites". most people dont care :shrug:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I often leave my PC running overnight with whatever game I alt-tabbed from and forgot about still playing. So I have dozens of hours in games I barely even got into.

yeah, I do this all the time

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I'm "working from home" and have been doing so since march so I've been playing an unholy amount of videogames

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Rutibex posted:

anyone that cares can call them "rogue-lites". most people dont care :shrug:

I like "Roguelikelike".

Also it's great to toss Crypt of the Necrodancer into this conversation because it ticks all the tedious purist boxes (aside from ASCII graphics) while also being a rhythm game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snackula posted:

I like "Roguelikelike".

Also it's great to toss Crypt of the Necrodancer into this conversation because it ticks all the tedious purist boxes (aside from ASCII graphics) while also being a rhythm game.

i like to use the term "rogue-like" to refer to games that are similar to Rogue Legacy :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

900 hours in Rocket League doesn't sound nuts considering it's a pretty low-investment thing. What if you tallied all the time you've spent playing Solitaire?

Its def somewhat crazy. I'm also not sure I'd trust anyone who actually sat down to figure out solitaire, let alone played it on purpose more than once. drat, I thought I was over-the-top extreme having a few RPGs with over 200 hours but my play times are all bloated from habitually leaving game open or back when i was use an idler to make steambux -- so I have some games I've never installed that show 60 hours or whatever. Is there a way in steam to sort by hours played?

WoW probably has the most hours anyway, but I'm not sure that counts as a videogame for these purposes, the hours in WoW reflect more binge periods of addiction and that kind of mmo madness that sometimes clouds the mind. Plus by design, a lot of the game is actually nothing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

solitaire is a good card game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
not in a circumstance where Hearts is also installed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i always get the cool tricks in Hearts, idiot AI always playing to lose lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
ADOM is the only video game that should be allowed. ASCII ONLY.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Doom 2016 is incredibly boring. Once you've played the game for twenty minutes you've seen the whole game.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What game were you talking about? Sounded like "Basically Every FPS" but there was a train going by so I didn't quite pick it up

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i still don't understand how apex legends got popular because frankly it seems like by far the worst battle royale game out there, and i will always hate it for basically killing my hopes for a real titanfall 3

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

i still don't understand how apex legends got popular because frankly it seems like by far the worst battle royale game out there, and i will always hate it for basically killing my hopes for a real titanfall 3

I think it’s because the ping system makes playing with randos easier. You don’t have to voice chat with them, you can just hit a button and communicate where something is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think it’s because the ping system makes playing with randos easier. You don’t have to voice chat with them, you can just hit a button and communicate where something is.

isn't that in every BR though? i forget if it's in fortnite but it's certainly in warzone and i think(?) pubg as well