Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
checkpoints baby

quote:

NEW YORK CITY (WABC) -- New York City is setting up checkpoints to trace travelers from states or locations on the Tri-State travel advisory list with fines up $10,000 fines for quarantine violations.

Mayor Bill de Blasio says the COVID-19 traveler registration checkpoints will be located at key entry points into New York City to ensure compliance with New York State quarantine requirements and further the containment of COVID-19.

Travelers who have visited those designated states or territories with high COVID-19 transmission rates are required to complete the New York State Department of Health traveler form and quarantine for a period of 14 days upon entering New York City.

The DOF Sheriff's Office, in coordination with other law enforcement agencies, will operate traveler registration checkpoints at major bridge and tunnel crossings into New York City.

https://abc7ny.com/health/nyc-establishing-coronavirus-quarantine-checkpoints/6355344/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i'm currently awaiting a Covid result :/

basically slept non-stop Monday-Wednesday last week, constant medium-grade fever still going. weird chest feelings but weirder yet has been the weakness. out of breath folding laundry, out of breath kneading dough. im management at this point but i've worked in forestry my whole life, chainsawing poo poo and throwing logs around. gently caress.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

boar guy posted:

Zero interest so far. Zip. Literally none.

Yeah I'm in a building with a bunch of young families and I've had zero interest locally as well.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I've felt achy for the last little bit but no coughing, no fever, and I'm an enormously fat piece of poo poo closing on 40 so it's probably not COVID?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

We will need this at every state before we can control this poo poo.

Schadenboner posted:

I've felt achy for the last little bit but no coughing, no fever, and I'm an enormously fat piece of poo poo closing on 40 so it's probably not COVID?

Welcome to your 40s.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Same. I'm just a slightly fat pos, but I haven't been to work in over two weeks. The only thing getting exercised is my right elbow (I will leave that up to your imagination).

Lol, these fuckers told me they didn't have any work for the next two weeks, came and got the van, then haven't said poo poo to me since then. Would it have been so hard to fire me? Oh well, business had dropped off to the point I was only making 300 a week. We were doing non-emergency medical transport, so I'm kind of glad not to go into nursing homes anymore. I'm treating this as my quarantine period before I go back to working in grocery stores. Which will surely be better for my health.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philthy posted:

We will need this at every state before we can control this poo poo.

We've had checkpoints here in Australia for months because it's super obvious that there's a huge number of people who aren't taking it seriously and will ignore the state lockdowns and cross closed borders if we didn't.

There's still a bunch of dickheads who have tried to sneak across borders by hopping onto freight trains, or driving out to remote locations, or avoiding airport checkout and lying their way onto another plane

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
I haven’t been keeping up with the literature. Are there new data on reinfection likelihood, and the duration of immunity after remission? Bad as a first infection can get, what’s stressing me most is the possibility that one could catch covid over and over again, every x number of months, with potentially more serious effects every time.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I haven’t been keeping up with the literature. Are there new data on reinfection likelihood, and the duration of immunity after remission? Bad as a first infection can get, what’s stressing me most is the possibility that one could catch covid over and over again, every x number of months, with potentially more serious effects every time.

Early proven reinfections have occurred at 2 months after recovery, some people have no antibodies after 3 months. So the lower bound is really small. Where the average will be is unclear.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

Yeah I'm in a building with a bunch of young families and I've had zero interest locally as well.

maybe we should buy SA banner ads

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Sars lasts about 2 years and most common cold cororanvirus lasts about a year. So maybe somewhere around there...

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All I've heard is random poo poo on the morning news with no solid study because we're in the middle of it yet.. After 5 months peoples antibodies may disappear and reinfecting a second time is worse than the first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The other plus of checkpoints is that New York State is the gateway to New England, which currently is doing well. If that actually gets enforced, that could be a big help in avoiding a resurgence here.

Of course it's moot since school starts again in a few weeks lol lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

madeintaipei posted:

I'm treating this as my quarantine period before I go back to working in grocery stores. Which will surely be better for my health.

I feel you on the service job that doesn't/won't give a drat about your health.

They gym I lifeguard at is adding swim lessons back into the mix on Monday. During a period where they admit it's too dangerous to have lifeguards train together because of the close contact required. But dont worry they replaced that with a zoom call, so if someone needs saving everyone will be months out of practice(seriously, why are we open at all again?)

I'm trying to trade the job out for hopping in the cities fire academy. So at least there's a decent paying job on the other end if I can survive not getting drummed out by corona? I'll just hope this will be relatively over in 10 months and firefighters won't be dropping like flies to it anympre.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I feel you on the service job that doesn't/won't give a drat about your health.

They gym I lifeguard at is adding swim lessons back into the mix on Monday. During a period where they admit it's too dangerous to have lifeguards train together because of the close contact required. But dont worry they replaced that with a zoom call, so if someone needs saving everyone will be months out of practice(seriously, why are we open at all again?)

I'm trying to trade the job out for hopping in the cities fire academy. So at least there's a decent paying job on the other end if I can survive not getting drummed out by corona? I'll just hope this will be relatively over in 10 months and firefighters won't be dropping like flies to it anympre.

"Siri, I'm drowning!"

"I'm sorry, GLUB-BLUB-BUHH!!!, is not a valid command. Would you like me to cal 911?"

Brave motherfucker, huh? Fire department here is going day and night on EMS calls. Just sirens all the time, except when they run out of trucks to send. Private EMS isn't even pre-positioning trucks anymore, just back and forth from the hospitals.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

The other plus of checkpoints is that New York State is the gateway to New England, which currently is doing well. If that actually gets enforced, that could be a big help in avoiding a resurgence here.

Of course it's moot since school starts again in a few weeks lol lol

You don't drive through the city to get North. Unless they set up on the palisades parkway, 87 and 81, which maybe they should.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you're playing pandemic bingo you can tick this one off on your card

https://twitter.com/PATreasurer/status/1291070203263148032

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

compshateme85 posted:

Holy poo poo, I have several friends that work with Marci. How did she gently caress up?

A long story that goes back like 3 years during which Ive been waiting for a proper revision. Long story short she has strung me along from the get go, saying the wound will close on its own, it's not too bad, etc. What could be construed as negligence, getting my hopes up and then not following through, thus crushing them. It's pretty complicated. I've been told my result is a train wreck and I don't doubt my vag is in medical textbooks. I know some people have luck with her but I know at least one who hasn't. Hooked on painkillers, couldn't finish grad school. She's kind of a monster in my eyes

In fact everyone I know who has had surgery of some sort, even from other surgeons has had serious complications and regrets.

Day 2 of no power here in CT. Please kill me.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Pakistani politics posted:

A long story that goes back like 3 years during which Ive been waiting for a proper revision. Long story short she has strung me along from the get go, saying the wound will close on its own, it's not too bad, etc. What could be construed as negligence, getting my hopes up and then not following through, thus crushing them. It's pretty complicated. I've been told my result is a train wreck and I don't doubt my vag is in medical textbooks. I know some people have luck with her but I know at least one who hasn't. Hooked on painkillers, couldn't finish grad school. She's kind of a monster in my eyes

In fact everyone I know who has had surgery of some sort, even from other surgeons has had serious complications and regrets.

Day 2 of no power here in CT. Please kill me.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope everything goes well and no covid during travel :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Looks like the second wave is about to hit Finland. We're getting almost as many new infections in a day than we previously did in a week (although we're still well under 100 a day, but rising).

Predictably the spread vectors are idiots and absolute assholes. People coming back from holidays abroad who decide they don't need to follow the two week quarantine rule and go out to attend a summer festival or two. Whoops, you infected a couple of people!

The government also gave a "recommendation" for face masks to be worn in public spaces and on public transportation, but just a recommendation. It's not mandatory, and predictably a bunch of assholes are up in arms that the government dare force them to do something, and how can people even AFFORD these masks and the government should be paying for them but we don't want to wear them anyway and loving christ.

Most Finns had their summer vacations in July, and returned to work this week. So I have a feeling the poo poo is about to hit the fan big time, because these new cases must be just the tip of the iceberg.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 5, 2020

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.

Der Shovel posted:

Predictably the spread vectors are idiots and absolute assholes. People coming back from holidays abroad who decide they don't need to follow the two week quarantine rule and go out to attend a summer festival or two. Whoops, you infected a couple of people!

The government also gave a "recommendation" for face masks to be worn in public spaces and on public transportation, but just a recommendation. It's mandatory, and predictably a bunch of assholes are up in arms that the government dare force them to do something, and how can people even AFFORD these masks and the government should be paying for them but we don't want to wear them anyway and loving christ.

Nice to see that USA doesn’t have a complete monopoly on its citizens being selfish morons. Sad though too.

I’m just joining this thread and wow reading the first couple pages was such a trip. I’d ask “how did we get here” but I lived through it.. am living through it. gently caress

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Evil Bob posted:

Nice to see that USA doesn’t have a complete monopoly on its citizens being selfish morons. Sad though too.

I’m just joining this thread and wow reading the first couple pages was such a trip. I’d ask “how did we get here” but I lived through it.. am living through it. gently caress

I feel like the whole thing is going to end like the last scene in Burn After Reading?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlA9hmrC8DU&t=149s

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 5, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like the whole thing is going to end like the last scene in Burn After Reading?

Just :lol: if you think the US has even that modicum of introspection.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Iron Crowned posted:

I kind of meant mankind as a whole (although the point still stands in that case)?

:shrug:

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Indeed. If one guy wins the election it will all be the other guys fault. If the other guy wins the election then America did a great job, and anything bad that happened was that other country’s fault.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

These people deserve an express ticket to the gallows.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

just proves that the whole they are hiding the cure to cancer thing is wrong. because they would charge 10k/shot and have it out immediatly.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Not really. Repeat doses of chemo drugs or whatever probably earn them way more than a one time treatment at 10k would. Not that I believe anyone has a fix for cancer yet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

snergle posted:

just proves that the whole they are hiding the cure to cancer thing is wrong. because they would charge 10k/shot and have it out immediatly.

Hopper posted:

Not really. Repeat doses of chemo drugs or whatever probably earn them way more than a one time treatment at 10k would. Not that I believe anyone has a fix for cancer yet.

From a purely economic principle, they could charge 80-90%% of the cost of conventional treatments, destroy every other competitor on the market in the process (because medicare/insurers would love to cut out 10-20% of their costs) and still rake in absolute boatloads of cash, properly even more since that money would be going primarily to single pharmaceutical rather than being spread out. And they'd have an exclusive patent for decades

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"For-profit health care is good because it INCENTIVIZES INNOVATION," I gasp before suffocating on my own lung fluid because I can't afford treatment.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hazo posted:

"For-profit health care is good because it INCENTIVIZES INNOVATION," I gasp before suffocating on my own lung fluid because I can't afford treatment.

*Thunderous clapping of GOP Primary debate audience*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Glumslinger posted:

From a purely economic principle, they could charge 80-90%% of the cost of conventional treatments, destroy every other competitor on the market in the process (because medicare/insurers would love to cut out 10-20% of their costs) and still rake in absolute boatloads of cash, properly even more since that money would be going primarily to single pharmaceutical rather than being spread out. And they'd have an exclusive patent for decades

...... and we know this for certain because that's exactly what Gilead did with their cure for Hepatitis C, pricing it just below the cost of the alternate treatment (a liver transplant)

https://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/statement/activists-hold-die-in-to-protest-high-price-of-gileads-hepatitis-c-drug/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile, let's check in on that pandemic and see how it's progressing in the US ....

quote:

Dr. Fauci tells @Reuters he hopes the COVID-19 crisis will be much more under control by the end of 2021
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1291108163358425096

While we're at it, let's check in on Congress and see how that coronavirus relief package is coming along ......

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1291097663069454336

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 5, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Meanwhile, let's check in on that pandemic and see how it's progressing in the US ....

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1291108163358425096

The pandemic will be over by christmas. We're still working out which year.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Trump's just about to start a news conference if anyone wants to see his reaction to that and the Axios interview :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQ-Vowd_To

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my fellow americans today i signed the biggest bill about stupid parks for hippies in history
slides swings sand, youre welcome, signed your favorite president

no questions please, goodnight

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Trump's just about to start a news conference if anyone wants to see his reaction to that and the Axios interview :v:

take a shot every time he says he was treated unfairly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mozi posted:

take a shot every time he says he was treated unfairly China Virus

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

He’s got a slide up titled “the healthcare president”. Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

Mrs. Sexual posted:

He’s got a slide up titled “the healthcare president”. Lmao

I hadn't been watching and I turned it on to see that.

WHAT PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS ACCOMPLISHED FOR YOU

I'm dying (only inside, not like more than 160,000 across my country who have breathed their last breaths)