Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
The hunter does stuff? I've never even registered him as a thread. Are we talking vanilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Mosch posted:

The hunter does stuff? I've never even registered him as a thread. Are we talking vanilla?

Yes, the Hunter always had 2 modes: "clown" and "terminator". In clown mode, in which he is 75% of the time, he grapples around and makes double moves to flank himself or return to his original position. In terminator mode, he pulls out his rifle and 1taps every member of your squad behind full cover after grappling to high ground.

edit: this only happens after you "reveal" him. Otherwise, he will just use his tracking shot over and over, which is super easy to avoid.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 3, 2020

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There have definitely been times where the Hunter has my squad cornered and he'll just grapple-flank the whole time and wreck house. Not often though. Mainly on the claustrophobic sewer maps.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah currently at least I find Hunter to be the trickiest one to face; I used to hate Assassin the most but once I've learned how to flank and spot her (and remember to bring a battle scanner) she's not really that bad. Warlock is mostly neutered by Mindshields. With Hunter I feel like you're kinda forced to lure him out, and luring him out involves risking him getting a shot in. And on a "neutralize all enemies" map you can't just leave him in his corner either.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah currently at least I find Hunter to be the trickiest one to face; I used to hate Assassin the most but once I've learned how to flank and spot her (and remember to bring a battle scanner) she's not really that bad. Warlock is mostly neutered by Mindshields. With Hunter I feel like you're kinda forced to lure him out, and luring him out involves risking him getting a shot in. And on a "neutralize all enemies" map you can't just leave him in his corner either.

Assassin is the worst because the other two have a non activated strategy of jacking off whereas the assassin will charge you, making her the most likely to engage when you're already in a fight.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Assassin is the worst because the other two have a non activated strategy of jacking off whereas the assassin will charge you, making her the most likely to engage when you're already in a fight.

If this happens, it can be pretty bad. I know I’ve posted this before, but:

When she spawns, really make note of where. Count out the approx. number of double moves it will take her to reach you.

Take that time to set up, usually about 2 turns. Take one turn to move the squad back just enough so you have a space to get in melee/flank her without activating another pod in front of you. If you have a ranger with conceal or a reaper, keep them forward of the squad behind low cover in the direction she will come from.

If you don’t have either one of those options, throw a battle scanner in front of you in the direction of her approach. It will cover the current turn and the next.

Hopefully one of the above will spot her and then you can melt her. If all of that fails, it’s usually best to take a soldier and blue-move them forward, if she’s still not revealed, take a second move forward with that soldier. Better to give up one soldier’s AP on that turn than to let her ambush you from stealth.

A note about taking a step back: more often than not, you’ll be on a mission with a timer. It can be very detrimental to make even one move away from the objective. The timer will stop when she is revealed of course, but to make up for the retreat—move troops forward as much as possible during the engagement. In other words: don’t miss an opportunity to make a blue move forward. E. g. don’t just shoot her if you can move forward and then shoot her.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Note to self: Empty buildings aren't necessarily safe hiding spots because sometimes they have glass ceilings. And then you pull three pods at once.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

blizzardvizard posted:

Note to self: Empty buildings aren't necessarily safe hiding spots because sometimes they have glass ceilings. And then you pull three pods at once.

:xcom:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Pre-activation:

Hunter: Tracking Shot every turn. Forces individual soldier to move. Can be annoying if he targets your sniper that you just got into the perfect position.

Warlock: Summons zombies at you every few turns. Generally easy to deal with, but beware of letting them detonate.

Assassin: Just fuckin' rushes you so she can reveal herself by slashing your guys.

Post-activation, aside from their Daze-y bullshit:

Hunter: Loves sniping from high ground, impossible to pin down due to having every-turn grapple, his rifle applies a bleed.

Warlock: Psychic shittery, mind control, more summoning of dudes while he hides in a bubble. Once in a blue moon remembers he has a gun.

Assassin: Messes your poo poo up with her hit-and-run sword bullshit and occasionally busts out the Shotgun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Started over in Long War again since every time I restart, I learn more :v: went with Cheyenne Mountain this time which probably isnt a great long term one, but being able to get to the steam vents that invariably spawn at the bottom level was real nice.

I've been going over that one terror mission in my head over and over, since Chryssalids dont use cover, does that mean AP grenades will always work against them? Even my troops with the most HP are getting one shot by them, which is severely limiting my options

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BlazetheInferno posted:

Pre-activation:

Hunter: Tracking Shot every turn. Forces individual soldier to move. Can be annoying if he targets your sniper that you just got into the perfect position.

Warlock: Summons zombies at you every few turns. Generally easy to deal with, but beware of letting them detonate.

Assassin: Just fuckin' rushes you so she can reveal herself by slashing your guys.

Post-activation, aside from their Daze-y bullshit:

Hunter: Loves sniping from high ground, impossible to pin down due to having every-turn grapple, his rifle applies a bleed.

Warlock: Psychic shittery, mind control, more summoning of dudes while he hides in a bubble. Once in a blue moon remembers he has a gun.

Assassin: Messes your poo poo up with her hit-and-run sword bullshit and occasionally busts out the Shotgun.
Assassin is also so loving fast that if you maintain good movement discipline and keep your squad together, she can hit and run so far that you won't be able to get her back into LOS with any of your guys.

Normally keeping your team tight and burning good offensive abilities will let you burn down Hunter and Warlock in a single turn (plus if you have stuff like a Templar shield you can usually force them to attack your invulnerable guy).

Basically, get and use Bladestorm and its copies, get the abilities that give you a free shield when you hit enemies/kill enemies, and get the abilities that make you immune to fire/explosions/poison. Having a tank up front and in the enemies' faces gets them to waste attacks on them, and your more versatile, longer-ranged guys don't take fire. Chryssalids are a joke if you get a melee guy with Bladestorm and enough damage to 1-shot them, they literally all die one by one while trying to either kill him or get past him.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i feel like the warlock was always just a gimme for the mission, he shows up and the timer goes away and i do all the important poo poo and then finish him off and then the mission

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I had the warlock squad wipe me one time when he MC’d the ranger I forgot to put a mind shield on. That was brutal. Just non-stop, point-blank shotgun crits.

I tried to run everyone away and out of LoS until the MC expired, but one by one the warlock would just teleport him on top of them to shoot them in the face anyway.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think of it as you’re always a turn or two away from certain comedic doom. Once the downward spiral kicks off, it can accelerate fast. Suddenly you’re in :xcom: territory.

At least there aren’t piles of rookies available for MC/Panic/whatever. A rookie that was formerly dropping blaster bombs/PWTs on fools from across the map suddenly going berserk in the ship with a blaster bomb/PWT launcher and annihilating the ship, the crew, and multiple heavy weapons platforms. Any of the :xcom: moments in the reboots pale in comparison to some of the utter bullshit that the original games would throw your way.

No line of sight required for aliens to mind control your soldiers? One alien sees a single soldier and has line of sight to your entire force? Alien commanders carrying blaster bombs? Multiple alien bases, and the TFTD ones have 2 levels full of tentaculats? They toned it way the hell down, and it still has potential to be utterly insane.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mind Control was a lot funnier in the originals, one time playing OpenX-com I had a plane full of psychic goons roll up on a landed terror ship, mind control a muton wandering around outside, then had him walk inside until he could see another muton then mind controlled that one too. By the end of the turn I chain MC'd the entire crew and the mission just ended with all the mutons counting as captured :v:

Another less effective but more hilariously petty thing to do was to MC an alien and have them biff all their equipment over an impassable fence

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mind controlling a single section of a cyberdisc was my favorite. The other sections could reaction fire against it, so if you moved it at all it would turn into a suicide bomb.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Assassin down, with not a moment to spare :toot: I think this run is in a good place.

A Reaper using Banish on a Brittle Assassin is a thing of beauty.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

Assassin down, with not a moment to spare :toot: I think this run is in a good place.

Eh, the Avenger Defence mission from the Chosen really isn't that bad.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

If you haven’t done it yet, put a superior expanded magazine and superior repeater on that reaper.

If you dump a full magazine into a chosen or alien leader, you will have a pretty good chance of getting a repeater proc and eliminating them outright.

Alchenar posted:

Eh, the Avenger Defence mission from the Chosen really isn't that bad.

It can be tough if it happens right at an inflection point where the game scales enemy difficulty up and you get a map full of the next tier of aliens—unless you had already greatly surpassed them on the power curve.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In my last game I did four Avenger defenses, two from the Assassin, one from the Hunter, one from a UFO

All before getting a defense matrix because turrets refused to spawn on a map where I can collect corpses until like the 5th mission before the final confrontation

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Verviticus posted:

i feel like the warlock was always just a gimme for the mission, he shows up and the timer goes away and i do all the important poo poo and then finish him off and then the mission

Using this as an excuse to repost my favorite Warlock encounter:

marshmallow creep posted:

Lessons Learned: Starring, the Warlock

He decided to pop for the first time on a map with no aliens or Advent, only Lost, and I happened to have four ultrasonic lures. :getin:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:raise:

...That's XCOM?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I could be misreading it but, if you’re covered in acid or poison, and you didn’t get affected by it, sometimes you can just not move until it fades and walk away unscathed.

Same for fire. You can prematurely hunker down if every move would put you on fire, and take no burn damage if the original attack didn’t burn you. I think you will still take damage so far as your injured status is concerned post mission, but during the actual mission you will not be hurt.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

wuffles posted:

I could be misreading it but, if you’re covered in acid or poison, and you didn’t get affected by it, sometimes you can just not move until it fades and walk away unscathed.

Same for fire. You can prematurely hunker down if every move would put you on fire, and take no burn damage if the original attack didn’t burn you. I think you will still take damage so far as your injured status is concerned post mission, but during the actual mission you will not be hurt.

Nah, the acid cloud was just something off to my guy's side. It was more that the MEC was right in front of him but he couldn't shoot at it (but weirdly enough, I could Overwatch and shoot it on its turn)

The MEC was on a roof and I rocket launcher'd the area to drop it, so maybe the game just put it in a limbo between height levels or something

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

Nah, the acid cloud was just something off to my guy's side. It was more that the MEC was right in front of him but he couldn't shoot at it (but weirdly enough, I could Overwatch and shoot it on its turn)

The MEC was on a roof and I rocket launcher'd the area to drop it, so maybe the game just put it in a limbo between height levels or something

You are correct in your assumption. The biggest ‘get hosed’ issues with the game are units that should be in LoS that aren’t. It happens most often when units are moved due to environmental destruction. Roof tops can be problematic in general, and sometimes you can be seen through solid floors.

One thing you should be aware of though, is that when an enemy is behind cover, they technically ‘lean out’ from either side of the cover by one tile when it comes to visibility. If your soldier is relying on that enemy ‘leaning out’ from behind cover to be in LoS, and that cover is destroyed, you can find yourself unable to target an enemy standing out in the open because they now only ‘occupy’ that single square where they stand.

This is not what’s happening in this case though, in part because the mechs can’t use cover.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I used to think the Hunter did nothing as well but in my latest playthrough I just had the first retaliation mission and discovered he has the traits where he gains shields when you miss and the one where he gains HP when he hits you.

Then he went into Terminator mode...

:stare:

Kalko fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 5, 2020

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Sometimes when the LOS gets screwy like that saving and reloading will fix it, often it means the game thinks your character/the alien is somewhere else than indicated but the reload will put them back in the right place. Definitely have had it happen more often when a unit on either side has had the floor dropped from underneath them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Again, the Hunter will usually do a fat lot of nothing for most encounters, until his AI rolls 'just shoot the drat rifle' and he starts slaughtering you with an efficiency the assassin would envy. Be 100% prepared to bail when that kicks off, although most people usually linger a turn or two as they can't believe their eyes...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The insidious thing about the Hunter is that once he kicks off there is no retreating cleanly. He usually informs you he is through screwing around by putting one of your best soldiers into bleedout.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah he downed one of my guys and I was like "Huh, lucky shot. I can still save him before he bleeds out." Then on turn end I got the Hunter's HP down to the point where one more should would finish him, then on his turn he killed one of my guys and healed back up out of one-shot range. "Ah, hmm... no, no, I can still do this..."

The Hunter has the best lines and delivery. Actually all three have good VA, it's just that the Assassin and Warlock are kind of generic Honor/Power archetypes played a bit too straight.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The Hunter is my favorite out of all the Chosen. Just a real fun personality.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He’s just in it for the fun. His AI reflects that, it’s when he gets bored that the real fun* starts

*target practice on your squad

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah the Warlock and Assassin are basically brainwashed zealots, but the Hunter does what he does simply because he enjoys hunting and killing people.

The other two are insanely dangerous until you counter their predictable tactics or bait them into doing something stupid and hubristic. The Hunter, on the other hand, just indifferently fucks around like an rear end in a top hat until he decides it would be fun to score a kill, at which point he becomes insanely dangerous and almost impossible to counter.

It's the kind of cool how the Chosen personalities line up with their behaviour in battle. The Warlock wants to crush his enemies' spirits before defeating them, in order to demonstrate the supremacy of the Elders - so he's prone to tiresome monologuing and grandiosely inefficient displays of power, even when just shooting someone would be more effective. The Assassin wants to best her enemies honourably, the better to prove herself as a warrior - so she's prone to overcommitting and falling prey to dirty tricks, even though she's perfectly suited to lying in wait and springing deadly ambushes. The Hunter is a bored, depressed nihilist who does not give a gently caress about anything except killing, so when the ennui lifts and he decides murdering one of your soldiers would cheer him up, he loving murders one of your soldiers and that's that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing from fighting the Warlock will always be that his AI considers VIPs allies, so he teleported the VIP into a pack of psi zombies and stun lancers who immediately killed him before we could even open up the van to see who it was.

He said not to blame ourselves that happened lmao

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
Giving everybody on here a heads up if they haven't heard about it yet, presuming 2K doesn't just shadowdrop it, you're probably going hear teases for something XCOM-related soon.

As of right now, you should lower your expectations to "just a mobile game thing", because they appear to be testing out ads for it and someone screencapped some of the ads on reddit. Seems like your standard gacha-esque game fare, although interestingly it appears to build on Chimera Squad's "man I wish we did parts of XCOM 2 like this instead" since the store blurb screencapped mentions that you can get alien heroes to recruit for the resistance.

(I will probably hold out a dumb hope that it's gonna be a side announcement to the big news of an official reveal of XCOM 3 anyway)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 5-star Thin Man drop puts them in a tux

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

jake solomon do not betray me like this

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Exposure posted:

Giving everybody on here a heads up if they haven't heard about it yet, presuming 2K doesn't just shadowdrop it, you're probably going hear teases for something XCOM-related soon.
Oh yes! Finally!!

quote:

As of right now, you should lower your expectations to "just a mobile game thing"
Oh no...

quote:

Seems like your standard gacha-esque game fare
Oh god no!!

quote:

(I will probably hold out a dumb hope that it's gonna be a side announcement to the big news of an official reveal of XCOM 3 anyway)
Maybe. Hopefully. What a rollercoaster of a post.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:smith: God help me, I'll still play it.

E: If it's real, a lot of people expect it's a scam knockoff

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Danaru posted:

:smith: God help me, I'll still play it.

E: If it's real, a lot of people expect it's a scam knockoff

See that link above in the screencap's a dead giveaway for why I think it's real: that's the URL of a website used to test out advertising for legit mobile apps. It's not an actual store page that is live trying to get someone dumb enough to download it.