Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

ffffuck you, I'm not wiping my save. Even I have limits.

i'm reading through every page of your posts in that thread. fascinating reading - i had no idea there was poo in lenny's pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Just wrapped up all the assassination challenges in Haven. Map’s good, much better than New York. SASO was a little too easy: I was attempting to kill the CTO with a falling coconut bunch but instead when it landed near his head it triggered a state where his bodyguard kept jogging the circuit while Bradley stopped to investigate so it was easy to snatch him.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Still Dismal posted:

Absolution had so many weird choices. Hitman has always had this relatively grounded and low key aesthetic, but they decided the logical next step was exagerated sleazy grind-house for some reason?

This maps pretty well to what Io was doing with Kane & Lynch at the time. K&L 2 turned into a feverish nightmare arthouse project. From conception the intent was to go all-out and make it ugly and raw, pitched internally as an "anti-game". I guess some of that mentality still remained when they were in the pre-production stages for Absolution, particularly the story and presentation aspect of it.

It's too bad they didn't keep the rights when they split with SE - I'd love to see the modern IOI do a new Kane & Lynch without having to pitch it to a publisher.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Discendo Vox posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812860&userid=198104&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post479608724

Note these were in response to and meant to accompany a video LP, but if you've just played through you likely won't need to watch the videos to get most of it.

Just letting you know that I've now finished the game and I'm really digging your posts here. :)

I might post some of my own thoughts about the latter half of the game at some point. There were a few high points - notably in Death Factory, Attack of the Saints, and Blackwater Park - but man, the rest of it...

On the other hand, I now have Hitman 2 with the legacy pack so now I'm looking forward to seeing what all the (good) fuss is about.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I look forward to it!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Incoming long post re the rest of Absolution.

- I was unreasonably enthusiastic at the start of Dexter Industries, as I was labouring under the misapprehension that it was going to go somewhere. It doesn't. It's a boring transitional mission that seems to defy its own geography several times over. The worst section is in the mine, where you follow two goons to a special goon meeting so you can continue making your way to an elevator. I have no clue how you're supposed to do this bit without just cheesing it with a disguise and instinct.

- I missed the highly offensive Jewish stereotype, just as I missed the dead stripper you're apparently encouraged to use to solve a puzzle in Hunter and Hunted. Thank God.

- The level does at least look very pretty in the outdoor segments. This applies pretty consistently to most of the other South Dakota missions too.

- Death Factory begins with a segment that I'm not even sure is possible to do cleanly? Idk, I'm not going back to check.

- I actually quite enjoyed the bulk of this level, with three targets in two fairly interesting locations. The targets are ridiculous James Bond villains - not from the latter-day serious noir Bond but from the campy Roger Moore Bond films - but whatever, I'll take it. All three of them are unrelenting assholes, and it's fun to turn their silly inventions against them. This is emblematic of the tonal problem I mentioned in a previous post, however; the game doesn't seem to want me to take it seriously, except when it does, which is when I especially don't. Note that I'm barely even talking about the story and characters in this post.

- The inclusion of Fight Night is bewildering. Clearly someone wanted to include a boxing/wrestling match hit, but they forgot to actually design a proper level to accommodate the idea. For the first time during this playthrough I had to look up a solution here. It's implied that you need to take the place of The Patriot in the fight, and seemingly the best way to do this is to snatch his LUCKY TEDDY BEAR. When he notices that it's gone, he sends all of his goons out to find it (in a moment that was quite funny the first time I heard it, by their complaints you can infer that this is a common occurrence). You'd think this was the ideal time to subdue him and take his clothes, but no, one of his goons doesn't seem to wander off far enough and will always notice you. The solution I found was to disperse the goons, then take a radio and use it to lure The Patriot away from his area too. Radios have appeared in multiple levels so far, but have never been useful, so that was "nice".

- The fight itself is an underwhelming QTE. RIP Bane Danny Trejo, we'll hardly miss you.

- Attack of the Saints is one of the levels that I was already aware of. It's fairly tense and fun, and the cornfield segment in particular is memorable in a good way. The less said about the very concept of The Saints though, the better. And I had a real hard time taking out the last one, as the game insists that you can't be in high alert when you finish a level for some reason.

- On the topic of the cornfield, this is more what I think of when I think of South Dakota. Now, my knowledge of American geography isn't perfect. The closest I've ever been to the Midwest was a stopover in Denver, and some time in Chicago I guess if that counts. That said, I thought we were in a desert not too long ago? You know, that famous South Dakotan desert...?

- Skurky's Law is another level that serves absolutely no purpose, except to see 47 dress up as a British judge. In South Dakota, because apparently the judge is a massive Anglophile or something. Just go back to Beldingford Manor, you nutcase.

- Operation Sledgehammer is yet another boring transitional mission. Pro, it's not as long as Hidden Valley. Con, it underlines just how dull Absolution's main mechanics are. Hide behind this obstacle. Walk around something. Put your hand to your face to avert suspicion. Kill the Sheriff with that awful VATS from Fallout ability. In a church, presumably in an attempt at some half-baked symbolism. Much like how the last level made me want to play Contracts, this one made me want to play Blood Money when music from it just started piping in at the end out of nowhere.

- I did, however, laugh at the intro where things just start blowing up because ACTION. In a way I admire how this game can be The Blues Brothers at one moment, with over-the-top action that deliberately doesn't take itself seriously, and then something straight out of Frank Miller the next. Admire in a bile fascination kind of way anyway.

- One of a Kind shouldn't even be a mission. What a waste of time. Only thanks to Discendo Vox's breakdown of the game's production woes do I now understand why 47 getting his "iconic" suit and pistols back is supposed to be significant (it's not). The opera music from Blood Money made me want to play that game again.

- I quite liked Blackwater Park. It reminded me of a less fragmented version of the Malaysia levels from Silent Assassin. It seemed like there were a few ways to make your way up the building and to perform the hit at the end. Unfortunately it seems like the favoured way to do the latter is simply a rehash of the Eve hit from Blood Money's Dance with the Devil level, only this time even more predictable!

- I completely forgot who Ms Cooper was and had to look her up as I read Discendo Vox's breakdown.

- Countdown is laughable, but I don't think it's meant to be. At least the fat sweaty southerner is finally dead. I found out that you can see mines in instinct mode completely by accident.

- Absolution... well, the middle section where you have to kill Jade isn't that bad. The first part is horrendous, reminiscent of other forced action levels like Redemption at Gontranno and Requiem. The Praetorians, who are apparently supposed to be The Best of the Best Except for 47, are so underwhelming that it's comical. I suddenly have new, undeserved respect for Mark Parchezzi III. And did you know that Diana was alive all along, because she was.

- Haha, gently caress the challenges. I'll probably never play this game ever again (note that I plat'd Blood Money).

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 3, 2020

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I love that showing your face to everyone when you do the winner's pose in the wrestling level is considered silent assassin. It's so loving dumb.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Actually the canon 47 is the one dropping rubber sharks on heads and shooting planes with antique cannons.

*47 feeds a man to a hippopotamus*

"You were always the best."

*Man stops to pick up quarter in the street, is instantly ran over by his own Witness Protection agents*

"No one else came close."

*Woman stands precariously close to a giant, inauspicious pile of propane tanks and fire extinguishers. A runaway train bursts through the wall and runs her over*

"You defined the art. And it defined you."

*Like 20 people get electrocuted by a cellphone because 47 got lazy.*

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Anyone who's played a bunch of featured contracts remember any particularly fun or interesting ones? I need to do a lot for the challenges but some of them are really bad and it can be hard to tell until you're quite far into them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just wondering, but is there any way I can take out the virus in Sapienza without entering the lab? (And also without doing that 'explosive phone in a particular spot' glitch) Since I'd like to be able to try and do a SASO sniper run without entering the lab/manor (like, taking shots from the old ruin with the cannons, maybe) but I'm not sure how I'd go about that part. Like, could I potentially shoot that stalactite from outside, or perhaps shoot the laptop on top of one of the lab buildings? (i.e. the one that you can apparently EMP to destroy the virus. I think putting a USB dongle into it also causes the virus to be overheated and die)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering, but is there any way I can take out the virus in Sapienza without entering the lab? (And also without doing that 'explosive phone in a particular spot' glitch) Since I'd like to be able to try and do a SASO sniper run without entering the lab/manor (like, taking shots from the old ruin with the cannons, maybe) but I'm not sure how I'd go about that part. Like, could I potentially shoot that stalactite from outside, or perhaps shoot the laptop on top of one of the lab buildings? (i.e. the one that you can apparently EMP to destroy the virus. I think putting a USB dongle into it also causes the virus to be overheated and die)

Apparently you can shoot the virus through the glass but I'm not sure how you'd hit that without entering the lab at all. That's probably your best bet though

You can not shoot the laptop sadly.

USB dongle works, yes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

After like three years I finally got around to finishing the Hitman 1 story missions. Throwing that heart in the bin has to be in my top ten most satisfying gaming moments - especially since I'd spent a good hour trying to find a way to get close to the target without alerting the many many guards and doctors.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Anyone who's played a bunch of featured contracts remember any particularly fun or interesting ones? I need to do a lot for the challenges but some of them are really bad and it can be hard to tell until you're quite far into them.

I don't have the Hitman 1 maps installed right now, but I think these are easy. Half of them are on Miami. Sorted from oldest to newer, so scroll all the way to the right in the featured contracts tab:
Final Test Contract + Miami Contract (these basically exist as test by the developer)
Garbage Day!!!
A Day At The Races
Unlucky Day At The Ol' Tavern
You Get What You Pay For
It Should've Been Me
I Can Do Better
Bonus: Movie-ing Target (probably created before they added ranged sources of emetic poison)
Kowoon's Last Shine

You basically want to look for the contracts that have no requirements for the kill method and required disguise, and no complications. Those shouldn't be that hard to complete with just a pistol if you don't care about a Silent Assassin rating. Keep in mind you just need 15 completed featured contracts for the wrench. All the other challengers just give you reskins of existing items.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 5, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Major Isoor posted:

Just wondering, but is there any way I can take out the virus in Sapienza without entering the lab?
To the best of my knowledge there is no way to snipe the virus or the stalactite above it from any exterior angle. The only non-entry kill I know of is the phone glitch. There is also no way to trigger De Santis or Caruso to destroy it themselves.

The virus can be destroyed by EMPing the laptop, but you'd still have to be inside the lab at that point.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can hit it from pretty far away with a sniper rifle, I think you can get a clear shot from the weapons table overlooking the main part of the lab.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You absolutely can. You can hit it from the ledge with a Silverballer, with patience and luck. The problem is you can't get a good angle on the virus unless you're in the cave somewhere. Literally everywhere else on the map your line-of-sight is obstructed. There may be a very, very tiny shot from the path from the crumbling tower, but I don't think there is.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I decided to start up Hitman to see what sniper spots there are on Sapienza and got kind of carried away. Four ish hours later I got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7-caZQbzM

Beat my previous SA/SO time by almost a minute but this time with the Sniper Rifle. This game is fun

Edit: there are subs on this explaining some things

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 6, 2020

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I saw a run a long time ago where the player blew up an explosive in the garage and it triggered the stalactite in the cave, which destroys the virus. Don't know if you can still do that, however.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Mantis42 posted:

I saw a run a long time ago where the player blew up an explosive in the garage and it triggered the stalactite in the cave, which destroys the virus. Don't know if you can still do that, however.

You can but I think it only works with the explosive phone for some reason

Here's a cool video using that for a way more fun reason than to just win fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWEFbdk-hg8

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Man with Hat posted:

I decided to start up Hitman to see what sniper spots there are on Sapienza and got kind of carried away. Four ish hours later I got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7-caZQbzM

Beat my previous SA/SO time by almost a minute but this time with the Sniper Rifle. This game is fun

Oh drat, I didn't even consider the fact that you can shoot the doorknobs of keycard-locked doors, to force it open! :doh:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Man with Hat posted:

You can but I think it only works with the explosive phone for some reason
It's because the phone is flat. Every other explosive's centre is slightly higher off the ground and so the blast radius doesn't reach the stalactite through the floor :sci101:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I never realised you can preemptively gently caress up Hawke's Bay by leaving the front door open; that's a funny little detail that probably has no practical use.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of funny little details, are there any interesting uses for the EMP bomb, that you get from beating the story missions in Mumbai? Like with Hawke's Bay - it'd be funny if you could set it off and kill whats-her-face's phone, during her conversation with whats-his-face, before he pushes his boss off the roof. :v:
The only uses for it that I'm aware of are the Sapienza lab laptop, as well as (presumably) keycard readers and security recorders. I only unlocked it yesterday, so I haven't actually given it a whirl yet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
On some levels (Haven Island, for example) you can use it to wipe the video recordings through a wall. It also ignites gas/oil leaks and I believe can electrocute people if you put it in a puddle.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

On some levels (Haven Island, for example) you can use it to wipe the video recordings through a wall. It also ignites gas/oil leaks and I believe can electrocute people if you put it in a puddle.

Oh, interesting - I hadn't even thought about using it for electrocutions or igniting gas. Will people freak out if they see it on the ground, or will they pick up/ignore it, out of curiosity?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of funny little details, are there any interesting uses for the EMP bomb, that you get from beating the story missions in Mumbai? Like with Hawke's Bay - it'd be funny if you could set it off and kill whats-her-face's phone, during her conversation with whats-his-face, before he pushes his boss off the roof. :v:
The only uses for it that I'm aware of are the Sapienza lab laptop, as well as (presumably) keycard readers and security recorders. I only unlocked it yesterday, so I haven't actually given it a whirl yet.

I think you can use it to kill the heart on Hokkaido?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you can use it to kill the heart on Hokkaido?

Wow! That's a good thought. Does it prompt the guards to say any unique dialogue though, like if you shoot it through the glass? (I loved it when I heard them being like 'uh yeah, it's probably meant to be like that...I mean, the guy was in a gang or something, right?' after I shot it the first time :allears:)

I'm gonna have to try and use it as much as possible, to try and work out new routes with it. Like, does anyone know if its blast radius is big enough to get the security cam unit in Thailand through the wall? That's probably a bit of a stretch, but it'd be a help, if it works

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Major Isoor posted:

Like, does anyone know if its blast radius is big enough to get the security cam unit in Thailand through the wall? That's probably a bit of a stretch, but it'd be a help, if it works
Don't think that works but couldn't be 100% on it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I never realised you can preemptively gently caress up Hawke's Bay by leaving the front door open; that's a funny little detail that probably has no practical use.
It's not entirely useless:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlNoreq7NU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The EMP is a fun little item. Here's some info on it:
  • It sticks to surfaces like a mine, which is important as its radius is very small, so precise placement is necessary.
  • It isn't illegal to hold, place, throw, or activate, but NPCs find it interesting and will pick it up. Like a duck, it can be set off in an NPC's pocket, so this can totally be exploited if the NPC goes somewhere it can be useful. It also can go off in a briefcase.
  • When activated it sets off an immediate EM pulse, then after about two seconds shorts out with a small spray of sparks and disappears.
  • The sparks, like any spark, can detonate gas or ignite puddles, and will electrocute anyone standing in water if the EMP is there and shorts out. It will not set off explosive objects on its own. Because the spark is a secondary effect, it is on a delay and you have to account for this when timing it.
  • The EMP is a tiny invisible sphere radius that goes through all geometry, though it is small so the walls or barriers have to be pretty thin. It cannot harm humans in itself, though the sparks or consequences of the pulse can.
  • Any interactable electronic device will have its state toggled by the EMP when it goes off. This is akin to having 47 interact with the object via prompt. This means the EMP can, for example, turn a radio on in addition to deactivating it the way a Breaching Charge might. It can turn a fusebox on or off and will leave it intact. As mentioned it will destroy camera recordings, and it can also disable individual cameras permanently, though it is usually very hard to detonate it high enough to affect the camera. Doing this will attract no attention however, generally, and since it isn't illegal you can do it while being watched.
  • Unfortunately it seems the interactable item must be flagged such by IOI, so the EMP is inconsistent. It will work on some gas generators for example, but not most.
The big places where it can do real work, aside from camera wiping through walls (possible on several maps), are the vault control device in New York and the laptop virus kill in Sapienza. Its non-illegal nature also means civilians will enter puddles to pick it up, unlike the tasers, and it goes off much faster than the shockphone. However sometimes it just doesn't work when by all rights it should, and the radius is extremely small.

Also it's much safer for setting off a propane tank amidst a big pile of bodies. A Breaching Charge might accidentally cause a non-accident kill, but the EMP basically cannot cause a non-accident kill 99% of the time. I'm sure someone will find a way to prove that wrong though, hence my non-certainty.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They just announced that the entirety of Hitman 3 (including the legacy content) will be playable in VR during the State of Play stream

Unclear if it's exclusive to PSVR or will be available on PC as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxVHOf6gv28

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah, so THAT is how they are making the fiber wire more appealing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

God drat, I hope it's gonna be available for PCVR too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

repiv posted:

They just announced that the entirety of Hitman 3 (including the legacy content) will be playable in VR during the State of Play stream

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

OH gently caress YEAH

Payday 2 VR is like my loving jam and this would be even better, holy poo poo its so perfect. And H3 supporting it means you can play H1 and H2 in VR also!!!!

repiv posted:

Unclear if it's exclusive to PSVR or will be available on PC as well

Don't do this to me...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-vr/

They're only committing to PSVR support for now, maybe PC VR will come later :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

repiv posted:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-vr/

They're only committing to PSVR support for now, maybe PC VR will come later :smith:

Aaaagh

quote:

We’re already looking forward to sharing more details about our VR support for HITMAN 3!

Those details better be PC VR support!!!

E: The word "exclusive" is never mentioned, so hopefully they've got it in the cards. I don't mind if its post-launch even, just need it on PC.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 7, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My only concern would be that it could be easy to lose track of what outfit you're wearing. As long as they have some extra on-screen UI for that, we're golden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There better be a cheevo to play the drums in vr

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dabir posted:

My only concern would be that it could be easy to lose track of what outfit you're wearing. As long as they have some extra on-screen UI for that, we're golden.

There's a few things that will need adjusting.

How will you know if you're blending in to a crowd in VR? How do you blend in at a bench, do you have to walk up to the bench and press a button or does just physically sitting / kneeling near it cause you to be blended?

A lot of the UI type elements will need heavy redesign for VR if not to be awful.

Still, just walking around and choking people out in VR or shooting them with silverballers in VR will be loving aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I look forward to accidentally drinking something I've just poisoned.

Nakar I'm guessing the EMP can't be used to byass hack objectives in escalations?