Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

last I heard the site was giving people seizures and they refused to do anything about it

From what I've seen/heard they've been trying to respond to those issues with their new site layout, and the claims continue to escalate in how serious a using a website affects people. My wife has chronic migranes and doesn't understand how in some cases these people are able to stare at a computer screen while it's booting up, let alone navigate the internet.

Now they're trying to lead an exodus to some VC-funded site from an independent business co-owned by a trans person. it's a loving mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/masshysteric/status/1290925693912543237

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Wolverine is probably the most famous comics character to have had major surgery, IE his adamantium bones. So, not a great example.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

same user:

It's kinda sad that Naughy Dog is one of the most progressive gaming companies because they sometimes let you play as a female character and not all of the minority npcs are canon fodder.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol I like James Lindsay acting like the world the "wokes" want to create is some unintended nightmare rather than exactly what they want.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

ekuNNN posted:

So apparently Qanon thinks Hospital ship Mercy is in New York to rescue Hillary's secret captive underground mole children

Actually, Mole Children emerging from tunnels and caves to tear the Clintons asunder is way cooler than anything the left has. I can feel myself being pulled to the right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what the hell is this lol

https://twitter.com/VaushV/status/1291036411114582016

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

lmao

Where does he even stream? I thought he got himself banned from everywhere

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Feeney lived through the depression. He would smack the poo poo out of that little oval office if he were alive to see that shameful display.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
As we all know, if you work as a team, the results don't count.

I think that's a quote from Neil Armstrong, the first man to build his own rocket and fly to the moon

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

the only thing left bout her is she looks like the SJW strawhead the right always imagines

"Y'all have made me more conservative (probably more libertarian, really) than I was 24 hours ago"

this is progress, they're finally admitting there's no difference between conservatives and "libertarians"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1291050600105476096?s=21

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda sad that Naughy Dog is one of the most progressive gaming companies because they sometimes let you play as a female character and not all of the minority npcs are canon fodder.

And then you hear about how hard people had to fight to get a playable woman in Assassin's Creed and it just gets worse. Not to mention Ubisoft is apparently run top to bottom with rapists.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean to be fair, it's a massive amount of extra work to provide alternate playable characters and I understand why a lot of games don't offer this but oh well :shrug:

Middle Earth: Shadow of War + all DLCs is on sale for 80% off and yes you can play as a girl so :getin:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean to be fair, it's a massive amount of extra work to provide alternate playable characters and I understand why a lot of games don't offer this but oh well :shrug:

Apparently the male character in AssCreed: Odyssey was the alternate character and Ubisoft spent a lot of money and work to please the chuds.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Flesh Forge posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of War + all DLCs is on sale for 80% off and yes you can play as a girl so :getin:

only for like 15% of the game. are you only going to play that part lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Ubisoft also spent years promoting and providing cover for serial abusers so

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Kassandra was far away the better character in the game.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
To be fair they did very little effort on her, since her characterization is basically just your standard Greek woman.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Apparently the male character in AssCreed: Odyssey was the alternate character and Ubisoft spent a lot of money and work to please the chuds.

Within their own office. The leads were pretty adamant on "women don't sell" and iirc some of the lower ranking devs quit over this.

As for the work required, I am absolutely not a game dev, but often I'd be satisfied with just swapping the model and dialogue where appropriate. Like Kassanda and Alexios share almost all of the script, and it works just fine. So I guess you'd need another voice actor, but it doesn't seem monumental, since I'd hope your game has a woman model to use as a base for your pc.

Grape posted:

To be fair they did very little effort on her, since her characterization is basically just your standard Greek woman.

Greece sounds really cool. Are they all at least as bi as her? Asking for a friend.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
having this autistic rule that you have to play as female characters and then ending up giving money to Ubisoft because of it is peak woke

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean I have that rule personally because I am in fact a woman and don't really want to play as a man in games where you're supposed to insert as the character.

And Odyssey came out before the current news hit. Also it seems overall gaming is just utterly poo poo towards it's workers. You can get raped at Ubisoft, worked to death literally everywhere, apparently Activision pays it's employees so little they starve while working, unless they want to eat the company oatmeal. It's massively hosed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Its Chocolate posted:

only for like 15% of the game. are you only going to play that part lol

Nooooooooo I have been owned :(

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Eimi posted:

Greece sounds really cool. Are they all at least as bi as her? Asking for a friend.

Modern Greece like much of the Mediterranean is still pretty darn homophobic unfortunately. Like not Russia/Jamaica bad? But probably around like Alabama bad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Its Chocolate posted:

having this autistic rule

beg your pardon

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Grape posted:

Modern Greece like much of the Mediterranean is still pretty darn homophobic unfortunately. Like not Russia/Jamaica bad? But probably around like Alabama bad.

drat. But then I guess I do remember a story from a while back about people from Lesbos trying to sue to ban lesbian from meaning a gay woman.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Its Chocolate posted:

having this autistic rule

Please don't use "autistic" as an insult. It only detracts from your point.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Nooooooooo I have been owned :(

You can use the skins from the DLC characters in the base game. It doesn’t change your character in the story segments but most of the fun is the open world orc shenanigans.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pththya-lyi posted:

Please don't use "autistic" as an insult. It only detracts from your point.

What was the point exactly

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heath posted:

someone was mad that someone else likes to play as women in Video James

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Heath posted:

they made an arbitrary rule that they have to play as a girl in games, probably for woke reasons, and it led them to giving money to a company that protects sexual abusers and does terrible poo poo to their employees

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

What is it about the "I won't play RPGs that won't let me play as a woman" that draws out assholes like catnip? Every time. Every drat time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Its Chocolate posted:

they made an arbitrary rule that they have to play as a girl in games, probably for woke reasons,
You're the 2nd or 3rd person to say this based on nothing at all, extremely weird

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

it's especially fun when they make the argument that preferring to play as female characters means you're rewarding abusive companies

yes, ubisoft is a horrific company run by horrific individuals, but what company isn't? at some point you have to kind of throw your hands up and say 'welp, there just is no ethical consumption under capitalism' and do your best to try and push for more expansive change than just...the firing (or allowance to resign with retirement benefits intact) of a handful of named execs that will just be replaced by another abusive capitalist piece of poo poo

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Agents are GO! posted:

What is it about the "I won't play RPGs that won't let me play as a woman" that draws out assholes like catnip? Every time. Every drat time.

cuz it's insane

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Marx Was A Lib posted:

it's especially fun when they make the argument that preferring to play as female characters means you're rewarding abusive companies

yes, ubisoft is a horrific company run by horrific individuals, but what company isn't? at some point you have to kind of throw your hands up and say 'welp, there just is no ethical consumption under capitalism' and do your best to try and push for more expansive change than just...the firing (or allowance to resign with retirement benefits intact) of a handful of named execs that will just be replaced by another abusive capitalist piece of poo poo

no one gives a poo poo if you "prefer" to play as female characters. I myself prefer to play as female characters

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

"nobody gives a poo poo", they cried, while giving a lot of a poo poo

Its Chocolate posted:

no one gives a poo poo if you "prefer" to play as female characters. I myself prefer to play as female characters

Its Chocolate posted:

cuz it's insane

Its Chocolate posted:

having this autistic rule that you have to play as female characters and then ending up giving money to Ubisoft because of it is peak woke

Its Chocolate posted:

they made an arbitrary rule that they have to play as a girl in games, probably for woke reasons, and it led them to giving money to a company that protects sexual abusers and does terrible poo poo to their employees

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Its Chocolate posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think your argument assumes a lot about other people, what they knew and when, and why they prefer to play the games they play

Like, I'm a woman, and I prefer to play as a character of my own gender when possible when I play a video game. I played a second-hand copy of AC: Odyssey before I knew about the controversy around Ubisoft. Does that make me too "arbitrary" and "woke?"

Its Chocolate posted:

Well, now you're just being a hypocrite.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Marx Was A Lib posted:

"nobody gives a poo poo", they cried, while giving a lot of a poo poo

they didn't say they preferred female characters or enjoyed them, they said they refuse to play any game where you can't. that's the part that's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
woke reasons