Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mozi posted:

Yeah it bothered me as well.

If I am ever in a similar situation I'll leave the livestreaming to somebody else and hide under a bed somewhere.

Yeah the thing that amazed me in the hours after this were how a dozen views of it popped up online immediately.

On the one hand it’s interesting to see how social media and portable video has proliferated since 9/11, for example, and on the other hand MOTHERFUCKER PUT THE PHONE AWAY AND GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's a man who is very confident in his footing and balance

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

More fire and (much smaller) explosions at a warehouse in the UAE:

https://twitter.com/BreakingNLive24/status/1291050977307623431

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

That's a man who is very confident in his footing and balance

To be fair, you really only fall into lava once.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

fortunately you won't fall very deep into something more dense than you. unfortunately, that probably won't matter.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq7DDk8eLs8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDxOhfiFsuc

Now, instead of a jerry can full of water, imagine that this is an 80kg human being (composed of 60% water). A rare case where real life is more spectacular than the movies.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Further down the thread Jess calls the samples "blebs" and I love it.

https://twitter.com/jessphoenix2018/status/1291080609335402497

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luneshot posted:

Now, instead of a jerry can full of water, imagine that this is an 80kg human being (composed of 60% water). A rare case where real life is more spectacular than the movies.

The Big Woo is angry

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Luneshot posted:

Is that all from the initial water, or does the water initiate some larger chain reaction, like the lava sucking in air that expands and blorps more lava which sucks in more air, etc etc until you have that churning mass of melty death?

Either way that's loving fascinating.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Is that all from the initial water, or does the water initiate some larger chain reaction, like the lava sucking in air that expands and blorps more lava which sucks in more air, etc etc until you have that churning mass of melty death?

Either way that's loving fascinating.

It's just going to steam real fast, and steam's volume is something like 1600 times that of liquid water. So, boom. I assume it keeps churning because the water flashes to steam on the outside first, which would blow the lava away momentarily, then it hits the water again and repeats.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

throw a water bottle in a turkey deep fryer for a similar effect

lol no don't

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

It's just going to steam real fast, and steam's volume is something like 1600 times that of liquid water. So, boom. I assume it keeps churning because the water flashes to steam on the outside first, which would blow the lava away momentarily, then it hits the water again and repeats.

The leidenfrost effect! On a smaller scale, it makes water dance on a hot pan. On a larger scale, you can get multiple steam explosions.

I’m so glad I don’t have to work around giant amounts of high pressure steam anymore.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

VectorSigma posted:

throw a water bottle in a turkey deep fryer for a similar effect

lol no don't

That's kind of what I was thinking of, because in those cases it basically all vaporizes at once and then it's done (well, aside from the burning oil now coating everything within 10 feet). I guess with lava being more viscous, or maybe just being a larger volume of water, it keeps going for longer.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

quote:

Taking the morphological and microscopic analyses into consideration, Petrone and colleagues determine that “in the present work, careful inspection of the victims’ skeletons revealed cracking and explosion of the skullcap and blackening of the outer and inner table, associated with black exudations from the skull openings and the fractured bone. Such effects appear to be the combined result of direct exposure to heat and an increase in intracranial steam pressure induced by brain ebullition, with skull explosion as the possible outcome.” That is, rising pressure inside the skull as a result of the intense heat surge caused brains to boil and skulls to explode, resulting in the sudden death of scores of people sheltering in the Herculaneum boat houses, hoping to be rescued.

Pyroclastic flow, not lava, but I imagine the effect is similar.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's kind of what I was thinking of, because in those cases it basically all vaporizes at once and then it's done (well, aside from the burning oil now coating everything within 10 feet). I guess with lava being more viscous, or maybe just being a larger volume of water, it keeps going for longer.

Best part of this is when the deep fryer is flame heated, and the resulting finely atomised oil cloud contacts that flame.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Fornax Disaster posted:

quote:

Such effects appear to be the combined result of direct exposure to heat and an increase in intracranial steam pressure
An increase? Well I hope my intracranial steam pressure is nominal then.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

An increase? Well I hope my intracranial steam pressure is nominal then.
[/quote]

Your recommended intracranial steam pressure is clearly indicated in your operations manual.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

what did you think "let off a little steam" was just a saying?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is the actual filmed footage from the bridal video from yesterday

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Exwa1fz.mp4

Sound required but be warned it is VERY LOUD.*

*also not gory at all don't worry

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Does anyone know how close you would have had to have been to suffer deafness or serious hearing damage? I'm assuming getting hit with such a massive pressure wave doesn't do your ears any good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

thekeeshman posted:

Does anyone know how close you would have had to have been to suffer deafness or serious hearing damage? I'm assuming getting hit with such a massive pressure wave doesn't do your ears any good.

from nukemap, a 1.2kt surface burst centered on the warehouse. the orange circle is the expected diameter of the fireball and the red is the area of "total destruction", which correspond pretty closely with what we saw in the videos and photos of the aftermath.

the gray ring shows where the blast overpressure would have fallen to 10kPa, which from what I can find is about where you'd expect a 50% chance of ruptured eardrums.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 6, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

from nukemap, a 1.2kt surface burst centered on the warehouse. the orange circle is the expected diameter of the fireball and the red is the area of "total destruction", which correspond pretty closely with what we saw in the videos and photos of the aftermath.

the gray ring shows where the blast overpressure would have fallen to 10kPa, which from what I can find is about where you'd expect a 50% chance of ruptured eardrums.

It’s unlikely the explosion was 1.2kt; 240-300 tons is probably a more reasonable estimate.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

thats one of the sites i think i was talking about! thanks for posting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A 1.2kt nuclear bomb, despite releasing as much total energy as 1200 tons of TNT (including light, heat and radiation) does about the same blast damage as 600 tons of a chemical high explosive, because the chemical explosive burns slower (a few milliseconds to release its energy vs microseconds for the nuclear reaction) and thus can build up a longer-lasting blast wave.

In any case it's pretty clearly in the 0.2-2.0kt order of magnitude so nitpicking the specific number is not that important. lots of people in the gray ring who didn't die are gonna be deaf.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

or head truama

if you layed on the ground in any of those apartment vids and pulled a mattress over your body and stuck a butt plug in your mouth and plugged your nostrils and had your hands over your ears..... How much would that reduce permanent damage to your body

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

KoRMaK posted:

if you layed on the ground in any of those apartment vids and pulled a mattress over your body and stuck a butt plug in your mouth and plugged your nostrils and had your hands over your ears.....

Or as i like to call it, Friday nights

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

Yeah it bothered me as well.

If I am ever in a similar situation I'll leave the livestreaming to somebody else and hide under a bed somewhere.

I would try to pose in a way that will leave a humorous diarama.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Lone Badger posted:

I would try to pose in a way that will leave a humorous diarama.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

"At least he died doing what he loved" they'd say at my funeral.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but he was not actually rubbing one out in a pyroclastic flow.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pompeii-man-ruins/

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drgitlin posted:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but he was not actually rubbing one out in a pyroclastic flow.

You're right, things need to be historically verifiable to be funny, my mistake.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

drgitlin posted:

that's pretty clear to anyone whose opinion matters on the subject, so i'm ok with letting people think he was jerkin it

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

That guy's just easing into the pyroclastic flow the same way I ease myself into a cold swimming pool.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

KoRMaK posted:

or head truama

if you layed on the ground in any of those apartment vids and pulled a mattress over your body and stuck a butt plug in your mouth and plugged your nostrils and had your hands over your ears..... How much would that reduce permanent damage to your body

I'unno 'bout your body, but your reputation sure as hell won't survive.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

far enough inside a building with no line of sight to windows you should be fine, assuming the walls hold

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just think it's funnier if there was a man who realized he was about to die in a volcano and decided to crank one out real quick before he went.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I just think it's funnier if there was a man who realized he was about to die in a volcano and decided to crank one out real quick before he went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPpduiOdvU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

the goon way

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

thekeeshman posted:

WHAT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

haveblue posted:

Really not a fan of how the video Mozi posted ends with several seconds of the camera lying on the floor undisturbed with no further signs of human presence :/

For that video they actually survived :unsmith:, still pretty :smith: tho

unfortunately the sources are on twitter so I'm not 100% about that, one is in arabic and the other is a travel vlogger claiming it's their best friend's uncle. But if true they made it, with a few fractures.

Also I can't browse twitter about lebanon without some bullshit about "Israel Energy Weapons did this" bullshit popping up, why the heck is wackjob contrarian conspiracy bullshit so mainstream nowadays?