Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's embarrassing pervy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

glassyalabolas posted:

Don't have tiny dowels so i'm currently using a thickish paper clip with some questionable superglue.

Don't have a solder gun. It's the very tip too so I don't think gluing it back together is an option.

Apple headphones.

Tiny drop of crazy glue on the broken plug end, then jam it back in the socket and hold it there for ten minutes, then pull it back out as slowly and straight as you can

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Xenoblade 2 is a pretty flawed game with some really good things and some really bad things. The combat also seems very divisive (I really liked it).

How much you like it probably probably depend on how much the bad things like the gacha or Tora related stuff bother you. There's also a lot of combat so if it isn't your thing it's probably really grating.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meh meh meh meh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I kinda like how Xenoblade games toss high-level enemies into low-level zones. It makes the world feel more alive and dangerous and gives you a long-term goal to work towards in the form of going back to an old area and absolutely destroying that dinosaur that squished you hours ago.

It's not like the punishment for death is all that harsh in these games anyway, you just get instantly sent to the nearest fast travel point.

I couldn't ever really get into Xenoblade 2, the combat was too visually busy for me and the UI was annoying to navigate, and the voice acting was such a huge step down from XC1. I can see why some people really like the combat though and it's still got those big beautiful environments and great songs that Xenoblade always has.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

great songs that Xenoblade always has.

I totally and unironically agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfcMBojGdfM

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it rules

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i like xenoblade and its definitely a situation where all the haters make me like it more

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zas posted:

i like xenoblade and its definitely a situation where all the haters make me like it more

I got your back

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Zas posted:

I loving love XB1 and 2 (never played X because lol who owned a wiiu) and people posting idiotic videos of unfunny neckbearded manbabies as evidence as to why they're bad is like manna from the heavens and sustains me like no food ever has. Hook that poo poo up to my veins.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've only gotten 30 hours into each Xenoblade but 2 had the least boring combat.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zas posted:

i swear pikmin is my favorite nintendo franchise. well, maybe lol

i did in fact buy a wii u for pikmin 3

It's an old IP now, but for having been invented as recently as the GC it really became one of my favorites. This made me think of other Nintendo IP's and my "favorite" ones. And honestly from the IP's that are still up and about (Mother being effectively dead) I'd say it ranks with Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby.

Mario is great but eh, Yoshi only had one game even if it's simply the best, Donkey Kong... I love those games but they're not favorites. What else is there? Wars games are basically dead too and I haven't enjoyed Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn, though I've yet to try the new one and maybe never will. I can't think of any other new IP's they've made recently that aren't part of a series or a sort life-style game (Dogs/Fitness etc).

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

Xenoblade 2 is a pretty flawed game with some really good things and some really bad things. The combat also seems very divisive (I really liked it).

How much you like it probably probably depend on how much the bad things like the gacha or Tora related stuff bother you. There's also a lot of combat so if it isn't your thing it's probably really grating.

I had fun with it and I like that the gacha forced me to play differently than I would have normally.

The fatal flaw with gacha came about when the sidequests force you to have certain skills that you only get from certain blades, and those blades have to level up to get those skills, which takes forever. You then have to have those blades with those skills in your party and the terrible UI makes that whole task a clusterfuck.

Also Pyra is incredibly embarrassing and unbelievable as a character, as nobody could love rex .

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The XC2 cast is perfect.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It's funny I always hear people praise Xenoblade 2 with the extended disclaimer of "aside from tens of hours of tutorials and collecting big tittie anime girls like Pokemon and the most obnoxious character in the world having a robot maid sex slave thing and putting game mechanics behind gacha and obnoxious characters and"

The worlds DO look amazing from what I've seen, I guess

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

RandomFerret posted:

Tiny drop of crazy glue on the broken plug end, then jam it back in the socket and hold it there for ten minutes, then pull it back out as slowly and straight as you can

So my paper clip didn't work. I got mad and shoved the broken plug back in and it took it right out.

Go figure :shrug:

Now to never use Apple headphones again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Xeno loving Blade

Or was it Xeno Blade Fuckin'

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

chaleski posted:

It's funny I always hear people praise Xenoblade 2 with the extended disclaimer of "aside from tens of hours of tutorials and collecting big tittie anime girls like Pokemon and the most obnoxious character in the world having a robot maid sex slave thing and putting game mechanics behind gacha and obnoxious characters and"

yeah, the only real complaint in that dunkey video that didn't echo something i'd heard in the xenoblade thread was the high-level monsters in low-level areas thing, which i generally found kind of fun in 1 but they were always very easy to avoid. dunno if they're too easy to aggro in 2 or if dunkey was doing goofs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

yeah, the only real complaint in that dunkey video that didn't echo something i'd heard in the xenoblade thread was the high-level monsters in low-level areas thing, which i generally found kind of fun in 1 but they were always very easy to avoid. dunno if they're too easy to aggro in 2 or if dunkey was doing goofs

It's pretty much the same as in 1

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

chaleski posted:

Its definitely unfinished and has a lot of nearly unforgivable flaws, but there's something in it that just clicks and makes it hard to stop playing.

The best part is spending over 100 hours on it and then playing the DLC, which is really good and fixes almost every problem the base game has, thereby making the base game much worse when you go back to it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Chronojam posted:

Pikmin 3 that nobody owned for the Wii U that nobody owned was still being listed for like $30-$40 in this very stupid year.

If you get out a Wii U then good news you can probably get this game for like $20 now!

Not on the eShop, because it was de-listed this morning (lol)
Can get a digital code from Amazon for $20 though.
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Selects-Pikmin-Digital-Code/dp/B014GEDTUS/

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's an old IP now, but for having been invented as recently as the GC it really became one of my favorites. This made me think of other Nintendo IP's and my "favorite" ones. And honestly from the IP's that are still up and about (Mother being effectively dead) I'd say it ranks with Zelda, Metroid, and Kirby.

Mario is great but eh, Yoshi only had one game even if it's simply the best, Donkey Kong... I love those games but they're not favorites. What else is there? Wars games are basically dead too and I haven't enjoyed Fire Emblem since Radiant Dawn, though I've yet to try the new one and maybe never will. I can't think of any other new IP's they've made recently that aren't part of a series or a sort life-style game (Dogs/Fitness etc).

Splatoon was a new IP from the WiiU era.

Andrast posted:

I will definitely buy Pikmin 3 at release but I will also complain about the price

:same:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

chaleski posted:

XC2 and XCX both are actually alike in that they both have this caveat of "it's good aside from like a dozen terrible things you may or may not be able to put up with"

I still like XC1 best if only because it feels like a complete experience. The other two just seem halfbaked with some really great ideas, like the 3-blade combat and unique blade stuff in XC2 / rampant customization and huge cool world with mechs in XCX, but there are annoying-to-awful things in both that are dependent on how willing you are to overlook them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

XC2 and XCX both are actually alike in that they both have this caveat of "it's good aside from like a dozen terrible things you may or may not be able to put up with"

I still like XC1 best if only because it feels like a complete experience. The other two just seem halfbaked with some really great ideas, like the 3-blade combat and unique blade stuff in XC2 / rampant customization and huge cool world with mechs in XCX, but there are annoying-to-awful things in both that are dependent on how willing you are to overlook them

I really like it when devs aren't afraid to try new things. Whether it works out or not, I always appreciate it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Andrast posted:

I really like it when devs aren't afraid to try new things. Whether it works out or not, I always appreciate it

Yeah, huh, yeah

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Splatoon was a new IP from the WiiU era.

I knew I was forgetting something! Splatoon is actually brilliant, but having done the campaigns, without Splatfests I feel way less motivated to play, which is dumb I know. Don't know if I'd call it a favorite though.

Pikmin 1 in particular gripped me and I found it very tense. It took 2 coming out to finally get me to beat it since I would always freeze up at a point. I really liked how much freer 2 felt. I also got braver.

glassyalabolas posted:

So my paper clip didn't work. I got mad and shoved the broken plug back in and it took it right out.

Good job!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, huh, yeah

I assume you meant this as an example of it working out perfectly

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'll say this much, even though I think the end result of XCX was one that didn't work for me, I'd rather the next Xeno game take more inspiration from that one over XC2. Having a bigger team of 4, with a really big suite of customization in weapons and skills (GUNS), world exploration, and loving mechs, was cool as poo poo. It just made you do too much stupid poo poo to get a mech and then that somehow trivialized a lot of things, the checkpoint pylon system that gated progress sucked, and the characters+story were not great. Only reason I don't want an XCX port is because it'd be better to take those initial ideas and flesh them out even better, there was a loving great game in there.

Maybe now that XC2 kind of "closed" the saga at the end we can just do another Xeno Spaceman next.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

chaleski posted:

The "tens of hours of tutorials" thing is more that, for the first 20-30 hours of gameplay, you're still unlocking new things to play with, either through the game just giving you things or new mechanics you unlock by spending skill points. It's like what FF13 tried and failed to do. It can be confusing though if you're skimming instructions and forget what the names of different types of combos are.

And re: the big titty anime girls...yeah, there's fan service and some dumb tropes, but it's easy enough to ignore them. Since unlocking the blades is random you might never see the worst ones, and if you do you can just toss them aside and not use them. The main obnoxious part of that is Pyra and how huge her tits are for no reason and how often she does this stupid thing where she gasps and clasps her hands together and puts her arms to her chest which makes her boobs jiggle a little bit, so it's obviously made to make you look at her tits. But I've seen and played games that were way, WAY worse than XB2 and that didn't get nearly as much poo poo for it.

Tora however is poo poo and he and his idiotic mini game can gently caress off up his own butthole. Replace him with the fourth party member as soon as you get them. The gacha poo poo can also gently caress right off.

So yeah I guess I am playing into that whole thing you said, but the thing is, I can do that with almost any AAA game I've played in the last 10 years. They all do or get away with some really stupid poo poo that has to be excused so you can enjoy everything else about it. XB2 has some really beautiful graphics, the world and characters are all super unique and interesting, the combat and its systems feel amazing when you've hit a good flow state with it, there's tons of mini-systems you can interact with if you enjoy them or ignore if you don't.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Are them thar shin megami games a continuous series or can you jump in to V without playing the others

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I forgot that they gave away Pikmin 3 for free to people who purchased Mario Kart 8. Man, I played a ton of WiiU but it still feels like the system never actually existed. Like at the time I didn’t realize so few other people owned it or even knew it existed, but with the massive success of the Switch it’s like the WiiU was a fever dream or something.

Yeah... I paid $0 for this game when it was new, I don't think I can justify $60 a second time.

So when is Super Mario 3D World coming to the Switch? It's probably the only major release missing to not get a remaster or a very similar sequel on the Switch.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

One thing I love about XC2 is that all the main villains are designed by Tetsuya Nomura, so Jin's entire crew are just straight up Final Fantasy dudes and evil Rinoa.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Are them thar shin megami games a continuous series or can you jump in to V without playing the others

You can jump straight into V

Nocturne and SMT4 are very good though, I recommend trying them out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm glad to know the outcome of this. It's why I read through all the posts of slapfights over the cost of Pikmin 2

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

You can jump straight into V

Nocturne and SMT4 are very good though, I recommend trying them out

You know, I have been wanting a new game for my 3ds...I started playing through FE:awakening again and while it's a very good game, I feel like I'm just going through the motions :geno: Maybe I'll check out SMT4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

And re: the big titty anime girls...yeah, there's fan service and some dumb tropes, but it's easy enough to ignore them. Since unlocking the blades is random you might never see the worst ones, and if you do you can just toss them aside and not use them.

Relatedly, a couple years ago I got around to trying Fire Emblem Heroes and one of the first unlocks I got was this

https://gamepress.gg/feheroes/hero/nowi

I didn't play it on the metro after that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Len posted:

I'm glad to know the outcome of this. It's why I read through all the posts of slapfights over the cost of Pikmin 2

Pikmin 3.

Because Pikmin 2 was solid gold; just through and through excellent, and worth every penny. :kiss:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Pikmin 3.

Because Pikmin 2 was solid gold; just through and through excellent, and worth every penny. :kiss:

If they port Pikmin 1 and 2 to the switch I'd buy them in an instant. I love those games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Relatedly, a couple years ago I got around to trying Fire Emblem Heroes and one of the first unlocks I got was this

https://gamepress.gg/feheroes/hero/nowi

I didn't play it on the metro after that

Nowi is definitely the worst thing to exist in all of fire emblem

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Xeno loving Blade

Or was it Xeno Blade Fuckin'

Xeno loving Blade is Chronicles 1, Xeno Blade Fuckin is Chronicles 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy