Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Alkydere posted:

Oh good it's my weekend, finally. For 3 nights I don't have to deal with the latest batch of new hires that we just...can't seem to train. The majority of them are good (at least those that stayed) but there are some that just have rocks for brains.
Don't worry, they'll quit and decide to be pharmacy techs soon enough. Then I'll get to deal with trying to beat the concept of "you have to pay for your registration" into their heads through 50 emails and a half dozen calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

it'd be nice if we could hire some stock people who can actually come in at the same time the truck comes in instead of like five hours after.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It doesn't help when the truck doesn't show up at consistent times. For a long we could set our clocks by when the trucks came than it just became a game of 'hosed if I know' like some rear end in a top hat dispatcher was playing Russian roulette with 54' trailers and a distribution map.

It's amazing to me how hosed truck logistics are given how much freight goes by truck and how much time and money is wasted when you gently caress around. And you're not just wasting fuel, but putting miles and wear and tear on equipment that gets very expensive, very fast. Plus more time on the road means more risk of accidents, more risk for fines, etc, etc.

But no every dispatcher is basically dogshit and bad at their jobs

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
no ones expected to come in on their days off. I would never hold it against somebody for not being able or for not even wanting to. y’all know this.

My 1 to close calls out with a headache. It’s not the end of the world but I could use some help getting breaks out and getting my shift stuff done. I text the other closing shift to see if he can come help me for a bit, he can’t. Cool.

My question is... why on gods green earth would you literally show up thirty minutes later to just... hang out? while all four of us are inside struggling?

and it wasn’t just one person I asked! it was two! they both showed up to hang out on the patio! until close!

and get this, one of my other closers told the ASM she was unavailable until the 3rd bc of her other job, that’s cool, I understand. Truly, I do. It was a computer training shift, but I needed her help on the floor.

So why did she just show up to hang out, too?

I didn’t go out there and say anything bc I don’t even think I have any leg to stand on, but am I crazy for being just a liiiiiiitle bit PISSED

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If I’m reading it right, my question is: Who the hell works at Starbucks , and then shows up to hand out at Starbucks on their day off ?

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Duckman2008 posted:

If I’m reading it right, my question is: Who the hell works at Starbucks , and then shows up to hand out at Starbucks on their day off ?

!!!! Okay right?? I don’t want to be anywhere near Starbucks on my day off. I’ll go through the drat DT if I want my partner beverage that bad. I can’t fathom it!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

it'd be nice if we could hire some stock people who can actually come in at the same time the truck comes in instead of like five hours after.

I still think it's weird as hell our company does the majority of the stocking while customers are there.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

dovetaile posted:

I still think it's weird as hell our company does the majority of the stocking while customers are there.
This is something my company started doing a couple years ago too after I resigned my fill position(the first time) and it pisses me off. Used to replenish stock at nights but then we got a new award agreement that gives like 15% penalties after 6pm so they were all, "welp we're filling during the day now team". It's hosed, you'd still save more time and money doing it at night.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Meanwhile customers are dodging giant pallets of poo poo and having to decide whether not to actively get in your way to get the stuff they want to buy that you are busy stocking.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

ErKeL posted:

This is something my company started doing a couple years ago too after I resigned my fill position(the first time) and it pisses me off. Used to replenish stock at nights but then we got a new award agreement that gives like 15% penalties after 6pm so they were all, "welp we're filling during the day now team". It's hosed, you'd still save more time and money doing it at night.

Companies will spend more money if it means their employees get less just as a colossal “gently caress you”.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

dovetaile posted:

i'm lucky that i have a 6 am truck because my stockroom's so small we really can't do more than one thing at a time in there. Means the only things I really need to stock while customers are there are clothes. I trained at a store with a 12 pm truck and having to run stuff during peak hours sucks rear end.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Almost had a bingo last night. No mask, driving the handicap scooter despite not having any handicaps. Weirdly enough the "white" free space didn't apply, if I had that and the "service animal that clearly isn't a service animal" I could've had bingo.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The corona virus is very dangerous and will probably kill us all. Why aren't you wearing a mask? Maintain social distancing. I hate everyone that breathes, especially the customers. They shouldn't breathe. Touch me and I will kill you.

Wait is that a puppy

The entire front end of the store ground to a halt as every associate stopped what they were doing to see the puppy. Adorable mammals are the mechanism by which we will destroy capitalism

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

so weird that you posted that because the same thing happened to us yesterday. it was a little guy with big ol floppy ears and everyone was just enthralled

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Midnight: Man this headache sucks.
1:00 This headache is getting worse
2:00 I have nothing to do and the headache is making it miserable
2:15-2:45: Break! Sit down, get a snack!
3:05: gently caress, gently caress! Okay guys I'm in a critical role, which means you need to find a replacement ASAP before I puke all over the warehouse!
3:25: Collapse on couch at home, start shivering and showing all the signs of heat exhaustion.

How? I was just loving standing there at a computer all night, doing problem solve! Compared to some of the other poo poo I do that was nothing. I have no idea how I got overheated just standing there all night, drinking water.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What's your temperature? I assume the possibility that it could be the 'rona must have crossed your mind!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

What's your temperature? I assume the possibility that it could be the 'rona must have crossed your mind!

I don't have a thermometer at home.

But yeah, slept from 5 AM to 4 PM, felt groggy and told my boss I'm taking tonight off just in case. For all the (legitimate) complaints about working at Amazon having time you can just take off for personal poo poo or just feeling bad is the best thing (provided you don't burn it all on "woo, I gots time off!")

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

Have you... considered ordering one?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

But yeah, slept from 5 AM to 4 PM, felt groggy and told my boss I'm taking tonight off just in case. For all the (legitimate) complaints about working at Amazon having time you can just take off for personal poo poo or just feeling bad is the best thing (provided you don't burn it all on "woo, I gots time off!")

Go get a thermometer and try to find a place that will do testing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

litany of gulps posted:

Have you... considered ordering one?

Ordered one already. It's just one of those "I moved a few months ago and am still discovering things I don't have" issues. And somehow I forgot to get one when I did my 'Roni Panic Buying. And any place doing testing is probably closed so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Honestly don't think I have the Death Plague since I don't have any troubles breathing or anything, but it's never a bad idea to be cautious.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you've got any signs of cold/flu symptoms you should be self isolating just in case; and getting yourself tested asap.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The corona virus is very dangerous and will probably kill us all. Why aren't you wearing a mask? Maintain social distancing. I hate everyone that breathes, especially the customers. They shouldn't breathe. Touch me and I will kill you.

Wait is that a puppy

The entire front end of the store ground to a halt as every associate stopped what they were doing to see the puppy. Adorable mammals are the mechanism by which we will destroy capitalism

When I worked in the lobby of a credit union doing loans we had this customer who would pull up on his motorcycle with a leather backpack, and inside the backpack was a small-medium sized dog wearing a leather aviators hat with built in goggles.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

When I worked in the lobby of a credit union doing loans we had this customer who would pull up on his motorcycle with a leather backpack, and inside the backpack was a small-medium sized dog wearing a leather aviators hat with built in goggles.

That's very nice, but how on earth do you appraise that dog for the purposes of collateral? :(

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Sundae posted:

That's very nice, but how on earth do you appraise that dog for the purposes of collateral? :(

The bike was the collateral. The dog was the consignor.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i am so loving stoked that someone in the store tested positive for covid and that all management can say is “it won’t be a problem.” very reassuring guys. we’re a small store so it’s not like we can avoid each other

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be exciting times Tuesday: there's a hurricane/tropical storm coming towards us (DC/MD area) and my store has one (1) leak that collapsed a part of the ceiling, one (1) active dripping leak, and at least two (2) probable leaks. Also very little A/C.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Ordered one already. It's just one of those "I moved a few months ago and am still discovering things I don't have" issues. And somehow I forgot to get one when I did my 'Roni Panic Buying. And any place doing testing is probably closed so I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Honestly don't think I have the Death Plague since I don't have any troubles breathing or anything, but it's never a bad idea to be cautious.

Trouble breathing is not a requirement for covid-19. Any one of the symptoms of covid is cause for concern and it sounds like you may have a fever and that's a big red flag.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
My boyfriend gave me his blessing to quit this loving job regardless of having anything lined up. Get my ducks in a row for my student loans and medical bills and we’ll adjust to one income until I find something else.

Why? Because on Saturday we were only going to have three people on the floor. Cars stacked in the DT, lobby packed. I called the ASM and asked if we could please close the lobby to make it a little easier to handle. “No, we don’t want customers thinking it’s COVID related. Ask someone if they can stay for a little bit and do stuff in the back to help out.”

I don’t need someone in the back, I need someone out here, helping me make loving drinks!

Somehow I loving survived.

Anyway, that night, one of the Sunday openers calls out because she’s not feeling well. Cross her name out...huh...that leaves them with three people for Sunday morning.

So the next morning I gotta go to target anyway and pick up my prescription from the pharmacy, I decide to drive by and see if the store is still standing...

The lobby is closed.

gently caress these people.

Edit: Got an interview today for a representative position at a plumbing and appliance company.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 4, 2020

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Very glad I chose to take a leave of absence. Dad's been in hospital care for a solid 10 days now, and I don't know how many more weeks he's going to last. I absolutely could not be dealing with retail bullshit topped by COVID bullshit right now. Hospital nurses continue to be angels that I don't deserve. Be good to healthcare workers.

Pentaghastly posted:

No, we don't want customers thinking it's COVID related.

But it is. Tangentally or otherwise, it's COVID-related. I loving hate this performative bullshit where social-distancing and all the other measures are in place, but management are trying their hardest to pretend it's not an issue that should be at the front of their minds at all loving times.

poo poo, pretending it IS a COVID issue when it's not is probably going to sit better with a lot of customers than just saying you're short staffed or whatever anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pentaghastly posted:

Edit: Got an interview today for a representative position at a plumbing and appliance company.

Amusingly, you may be dealing with less poo poo issues at a plumbing place.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Two more shifts after today.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Department manager back from his vacation: "hey the woman who does dairy and the guy we hired back for frozen called out"

Me, having dealt with them doing it all week, on my first day off: "drat that's crazy good luck tho"

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Boyfriends showing COVID symptoms! Still gotta go to work tho! “Just make sure you’re staying in separate rooms and wear a mask and let us know if your roommate tests positive” my...my roommate? hang on let me repeat myself

I mean I’ll be sleeping on the couch and luckily we have two bathrooms and he’s not so sick that he can’t care for himself right now. He’s pretty drat careful working at the hospital and avoids COVID patient rooms so we’re at a loss for how this happened. It could have been anything.

Still gotta go to work lol

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Pentaghastly posted:

Boyfriends showing COVID symptoms! Still gotta go to work tho! “Just make sure you’re staying in separate rooms and wear a mask and let us know if your roommate tests positive” my...my roommate? hang on let me repeat myself

I mean I’ll be sleeping on the couch and luckily we have two bathrooms and he’s not so sick that he can’t care for himself right now. He’s pretty drat careful working at the hospital and avoids COVID patient rooms so we’re at a loss for how this happened. It could have been anything.

Still gotta go to work lol

But how...why....uhhh....what?

It's an airborne transmission deal, so unless you're in PPE 24/7 until he tests negative you're hosed (sorry).

Is this how it is in the USA? No wonder that country is turbofucked.

If a household member is infected in :canada: it's welp see you in 2 weeks fully paid, job protected by the government....

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

stab posted:

But how...why....uhhh....what?

It's an airborne transmission deal, so unless you're in PPE 24/7 until he tests negative you're hosed (sorry).

If a household member is infected in :canada: it's welp see you in 2 weeks fully paid, job protected by the government....

My hazard pay is steal- I mean borrowing a pack of those alcohol wipes we use on our headsets so I can disinfect our shared spaces...which is everywhere

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

stab posted:

It's dismal. Take whatever you think about worker treatment in the USA at broad-discipline levels (aka not a highly-specialized and low availability worker) and make it a few degrees worse. Worker rights in the USA, at retail level, amount to "you have the right to get hosed, peon."

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sundae posted:

It's dismal. Take whatever you think about worker treatment in the USA at broad-discipline levels (aka not a highly-specialized and low availability worker) and make it a few degrees worse. Worker rights in the USA, at retail level, amount to "you have the right to get hosed, peon."

Right but these sick people working are going to infect the rich fucks causing these conditions do they.not.get.that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Right but these sick people working are going to infect the rich fucks causing these conditions do they.not.get.that.

They do not get it, and also do not care.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

stab posted:

The actual rich people with the ability to shape discourse largely don't shop where you and I shop, and if they have to, they're either using a delivery service or sending someone on their behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Sundae posted:

The actual rich people with the ability to shape discourse largely don't shop where you and I shop, and if they have to, they're either using a delivery service or sending someone on their behalf.

i think the real thing is that rich people could have a big ol' wet covid orgy and afford to deal with the aftermath.