Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Also just use dev mode and fix poo poo so you can continue playing. This isn't a competitive game or whatever, it's not cheating unless you want to restrict yourself for the challenge, and in this case it wouldn't be any different from rerolling until you get (roughly) the same start except saving you time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I tried to start some rains, but I just couldn't be bothered to whisk away everything and heal up.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Shame. You couldn't reload an earlier save either and just end the event?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Found a high-level overview of new stuff on the 1.2 unstable patch.

quote:

Some new features in the 1.2 base game include:
• Custom playstyle system. Fine tune just how kind (or evil) each storyteller will be.
• Utility gear system. The belt slot has been changed to a utility slot, psychic insanity and shock lances are now equipable items.
• Automatic caravan setup. Caravan screen loads food and medicine for you automatically.
• Tribals can now smash mechanoids for material.
• Carried drugs can be used from inventory.
• New visual effects.
• New sound effects.

New features in Royalty expansion:
• New quests: shuttle defense, bandit camp assault, refugee hospitality, and crashed shuttle.
• Bestower ceremonies for granted title (and psychic abilities that come with them).
• Royal permit selections, with new royal permits such as call shuttle, call labor team, and call orbital strike.
• Longer term psycasts implemented that cost psyfocus instead of generate heat.
• New psycasts such as: Solar Pinhole, Word of Trust, Word of Love, Chunk skip, Neuroquake, and more.
• New utility items such as the Broadshield pack, Grenadier armor, and Jump pack.
• Enhancement to meditation focus, and new a new flame focus.
• Inspiring speeches have a chance to grant inspirations.
• New diseases.
• New and reworked visual effects.
• New sound effects.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Taeke posted:

Shame. You couldn't reload an earlier save either and just end the event?

I was on commitment mode, so no save. I didn't easily find the seed I used, and then my power went out shortly after so it was to e to out everything aside anyway

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Anno posted:

Found a high-level overview of new stuff on the 1.2 unstable patch.

:toot: I'm just hoping it doesn't heck up many mods when it lands

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Does this mean insanity/shock lances are no longer going to be single-use items? It would be neat if they were like, a focus for a psychic power. You could give it to different pawns as needed, then.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Danaru posted:

:toot: I'm just hoping it doesn't heck up many mods when it lands

Considering it's still days out there are already quite a few mods tagged 1.2 on the workshop. Hopefully it's not too bad.

1.0 (6,584)
1.1 (5,595)
1.2 (609)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vanilla Expanded Brewing?!

Looks neat. lmao at the fancy cocktails

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol I had a mutagenic ship fall with about 10 centipede's with inferno cannons and was trying to figure out how to safely deal with it when I got raided by about C'thulu mod things that left me with only 2 centipedes remaining after getting wiped out because they spawned right next to eat other

So I've built evrything rimatomic requires to start nuclear power but once I tell a colonist to sit at the control table I have no idea what I'm supposed to do

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Jose posted:

lol I had a mutagenic ship fall with about 10 centipede's with inferno cannons and was trying to figure out how to safely deal with it when I got raided by about C'thulu mod things that left me with only 2 centipedes remaining after getting wiped out because they spawned right next to eat other

So I've built evrything rimatomic requires to start nuclear power but once I tell a colonist to sit at the control table I have no idea what I'm supposed to do

Click on the slots to tell them to stick a fuel rod there. Adjacency means more power but burns fuel faster, but it still takes like years to burn out with max adjacency. Your dudes have to haul the rods one by one so give it a minute

Once you got your fuel in, hit the start button and adjust the slider on the right to tell it how much power you want. The A/T button is autothrottle which will always try to keep your power production at 5000 surplus

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

Vanilla Expanded Brewing?!

Looks neat. lmao at the fancy cocktails

I gotta admit, I have almost every vanilla expanded mod, but the cooking one and now this one seem just a bit too much. I like the extra furniture and guns and stuff but I just don't feel like micromanaging condiments, ya know?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I get that.

I also don't really use the condiments much in the Cooking one because it requires the resource wastage of Lavish meals to make the stuff. Meanwhile, I still find the soups/stews and grilling to be neat add-ons, so I use those. I'll also probably not do the fancy cocktails, but do the base level stuff, because I've not been running noble settlements recently.

I just like the idea of building colonies around making legendary cheese and ambrosia liquor as primary money makers.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It couldn’t be a proper DFalike without legendary cheese makers.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I stand corrected, the Vanilla Brewing Expanded lets you make energy drinks, so I'm going to make a colony full of addicts running around punching holes in walls.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

I stand corrected, the Vanilla Brewing Expanded lets you make energy drinks, so I'm going to make a colony full of addicts running around punching holes in walls.

Ah yes, Kyleville.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beer feels kind of like a mod feature. All of the brewery stuff is off in its own little design space completely separate from everything else

It might have made more sense to have a Fermentation bench that produces low-quality Alcohol from any edible plant material as a default recipe. Then make beer a specialty form of alcohol production that requires an edible plant + hops to make Wort. Milk gets turned into longer-lasting cheese, etc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
has anyone been able to come up with a good argument for making beer? even as a trade good it just seems like a giant waste of effort. grow tons of corn for the bulk traders and cocaine for the combat traders. then just do art if you want a luxury good for the exotic traders.

the rigamarole with hops to wort to beer is just such a pain and requires so much infrastructure.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I make it so my guys can crack a cold one while relaxing socially in the evening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I got a raid of 66 tribesmen which is way more than I'd ever had and its taking forever to repair and build the 110 or so spike traps they ran into and which i newly placed

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've played I don't even know how many hours, dozens of colonies by now, and never made beer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The brewery infrastructure doesn't bother me much since I like designing around stuff like that, but the fact that brewing is infinitely worse than making blunts makes it kinda terrible game design-wise. Like rolling blunts requires literally zero infrastructure, you can just plop a crafting spot anywhere and get rolling, and smokeleaf also has the benefit of not giving you cirrhosis after three drinks. At least cocaine requires a bench.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Coolguye posted:

has anyone been able to come up with a good argument for making beer? even as a trade good it just seems like a giant waste of effort. grow tons of corn for the bulk traders and cocaine for the combat traders. then just do art if you want a luxury good for the exotic traders.

the rigamarole with hops to wort to beer is just such a pain and requires so much infrastructure.

Beer is very easy to research, requires almost no skill to produce (as in literally hops require a little less skill to plant than psychite), and beer is relatively safe to have around, even if you have addicts in your colony (but not perfectly safe). If you put fermenting barrels right next to the brewery then it's basically no extra effort, you just have to wait a little while for fermentation. It's a great trade good for a tribal start since you have extra workers but start with inferior tech and a penalty to most kinds of research

Yayo is worth more but it's a higher-level research option than beer, and a drug lab requires a small stack of components. So there's a lot more investment to get going. It's hands down the better thing to produce as a trade good, assuming you've got the right setup to not have people binging on it.

Smokeleaf is middle of the road, it's pretty safe like beer and only requires a little more research effort than beer

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 5, 2020

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Wait what research does smokeleaf need? It must be something I always gloss over since I thought you just got it at the start.

Incidentally I never play tribal so that might be it too :v:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Danaru posted:

The brewery infrastructure doesn't bother me much since I like designing around stuff like that, but the fact that brewing is infinitely worse than making blunts makes it kinda terrible game design-wise. Like rolling blunts requires literally zero infrastructure, you can just plop a crafting spot anywhere and get rolling, and smokeleaf also has the benefit of not giving you cirrhosis after three drinks. At least cocaine requires a bench.

Seems like it's some pretty good social commentary and realism :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Danaru posted:

Wait what research does smokeleaf need? It must be something I always gloss over since I thought you just got it at the start.

Incidentally I never play tribal so that might be it too :v:

You need to research Drug production in order to build a Drug lab but that's it, then you can roll joints to your heart's content

e: Oh I guess you can just plop down a crafting spot too, I didn't know that. That's cool

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 5, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Sometimes I make beer because it's fun to have my lil guys wandering around with lil beers. Minmaxing is fine but it's not the only reason to play this game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Beer's also a fairly safe mood stabilizer to put in the rotation with psychite tea so your dudes don't have mental breaks during the endgame raids and it doesn't hit consciousness as bad as smokeleaf.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

You need to research Drug production in order to build a Drug lab but that's it, then you can roll joints to your heart's content

Isn't there a crafting spot which is literally a false square on the ground the colonists can work on?

...or is that from a mod?

I can't tell anymore.

VE Brewing adds a thing where you can make coffee, and if it sits in your freezer, it turns to Iced Coffee. lmao I love this.

Crushing up luciferium to line the rim of a cocktail glass? Dosing things with just a smidge of Go Juice? I haven't seen the effects yet, supposedly there's no risk of addiction but a much more limited effect. But maybe the desserts and brewing are the things where the condiments go for the extra buffs so you can control them more rather than sticking it in standard meals (well, gourmet, but the regular poo poo the colonists eat).

I'm going to try that this run. I've had a load of infestations and, not actually being on a mountain, I've had them all reliably in one spot and been doing well against them. I turned the insect jelly into insect jelly preserves (a 24hr +10 mood bonus) that I'll see if I can stick into the gourmet desserts and then put those on a drug rotation schedule (since the mod sticks desserts as drugs in order to schedule things). I can then investigate the effects of the other things, but if the crushed luci winds up being an alcoholic blood filtration booster, holy gently caress yes.

...now I'm thinking about what a gourmet dessert comprised of gow's milk (from alpha animals), insect jelly preserves, strawberries, and apples would look like.

Hmm, then the gourmet cocktail, looks like I'll need to have a production system of soda/fruit juice, aged whiskey, luci powder, and cider.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm still trying to find the option that has colonists remove their clothes prior to making cocaine, so that you can make sure they're not stealing any

Also where's my option to make random research chemicals that have unpredictable effects

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

HelloSailorSign posted:

Isn't there a crafting spot which is literally a false square on the ground the colonists can work on?

...or is that from a mod?

I can't tell anymore.

The same crafting spot that lets you make tribalwear and bows and stuff will also let you make joints.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Beer is one of the safest fast +10 mood/fill chemical need drugs and it can be used together with others. It causes MAYBE -2% manipulation. It's the kinda thing where any stable colony should consider having 50-100 on hand just for quality of life.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

As a newer player I think I'm starting to get why people wind up with hundreds of mods, the game has seemingly limitless potential and it's easy to envision improvements that other people might also want. I'm still working through a lot of the vanilla content so I'm mostly unmodded yet I still found several mods that were clear-cut improvements to the game, like Prepare Carefully and Allow Tool. Looking forward to some future game where I have wizards and nuclear power

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

QuarkJets posted:

Smokeleaf is middle of the road, it's pretty safe like beer and only requires a little more research effort than beer
the difference is that smokeleaf requires research you want anyway for medicine production, whereas beer is completely out in left field progression wise. if i want a mid-tier luxury good i just grow weed or spam art, the latter of which i kind of need anyway to provide permanent rather than consumptive mood boosts.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Coolguye posted:

What else will they drink while playing dnd in the downtime from committing war crimes and worshiping Dagon?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Psychite tea?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The Wildpods from Alpha Animals make amazing insect tanks. They'll collapse instantly fighting anything that has fire, but vs. megaspiders they just shrug off attacks like nothing.

One of the tribal raiders rode a Themadon into the last fight. That thing was nasty.

An overgrown drop pod just landed... I wonder what's coming to visit?

Colonist drama: At about 20 colonists, having a few pairs forming up. Teacher (he, who is the grower/doctor) winds up pairing off with a Blacksmith (she, cook/crafter), they get married, they have triplets. Things look fine between them. Luckily for me, all the kids have traits that are not bad!

Imperial Intelligence Officer (she, grower/combat) pairs off with an Urbworld Actor (he, cook/warden). He proposes to her, twice. She rejects him both times, but they stay together and he still has >30 relationship with her.

Teacher makes a sassy comment about their melee skills to the Intelligence Officer and they hook up. That's when the Actor finally breaks up with the Intelligence Officer.

The next day, the Actor starts a fling with the Blacksmith. I forget what he woo'd her with. They were just passing each other in the dining hall.

The Teacher and the Blacksmith, after 5 days, are still married, while they are -30 with each other, and have hooked up with the different parts of a now ex-couple.

Meanwhile, tea from Vanilla Brewing might be a trap for me, but a non-addictive, +3 mood, chemical recreation that gives +15% blood filtration and x90% tiredness just seems outstanding.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Now Randy's just loving with me

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Play of the game goes to the most clutch trade caravan of all time who joined the battle as the last of my fighters fell and killed the remaining megaspiders at the cost of most of the caravan, allowing my final colonist to torch the nest with one of the dead's incendiary launchers

Now I just have a single survivor left with several years worth of food, an entire arsenal and a menagerie of animals that keep wandering in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

The Wildpods from Alpha Animals make amazing insect tanks. They'll collapse instantly fighting anything that has fire, but vs. megaspiders they just shrug off attacks like nothing.

One of the tribal raiders rode a Themadon into the last fight. That thing was nasty.

An overgrown drop pod just landed... I wonder what's coming to visit?

Colonist drama: At about 20 colonists, having a few pairs forming up. Teacher (he, who is the grower/doctor) winds up pairing off with a Blacksmith (she, cook/crafter), they get married, they have triplets. Things look fine between them. Luckily for me, all the kids have traits that are not bad!

Imperial Intelligence Officer (she, grower/combat) pairs off with an Urbworld Actor (he, cook/warden). He proposes to her, twice. She rejects him both times, but they stay together and he still has >30 relationship with her.

Teacher makes a sassy comment about their melee skills to the Intelligence Officer and they hook up. That's when the Actor finally breaks up with the Intelligence Officer.

The next day, the Actor starts a fling with the Blacksmith. I forget what he woo'd her with. They were just passing each other in the dining hall.

The Teacher and the Blacksmith, after 5 days, are still married, while they are -30 with each other, and have hooked up with the different parts of a now ex-couple.

Meanwhile, tea from Vanilla Brewing might be a trap for me, but a non-addictive, +3 mood, chemical recreation that gives +15% blood filtration and x90% tiredness just seems outstanding.

This is why you make a colony of all bisexual polyamorous snake women (and one xenophobic prude, for funsies).