Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Bandit posted:

If you have people who are into super anisette forward drinks a death in the after noon would be fun for a party.
Ooh. I wouldn't do that. I mean I would, but I would regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Hey maybe don't have a party right now

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hey maybe don't have a party right now

Hell - definitely don’t have a party right now

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The words "party" and "Greek" might be giving the wrong impression here, it's more of a glorified family gathering. But maybe ouzo is not the right direction to go in, then.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's a shame because doing the louche thing is a great party trick.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You'd be much better off with some Greek wine. Get a few bottles of assyrtiko and everyone will be happy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sir Lemming posted:

The words "party" and "Greek" might be giving the wrong impression here, it's more of a glorified family gathering. But maybe ouzo is not the right direction to go in, then.
I didn't go into details, but the problem with Death in the Afternoons is they creep up on you and then suddenly you're not going anywhere or doing anything for the rest of the day. Who wants their whole extended family trapped in their house

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

I juice like 4 limes and 3 lemons, add sugar to tate, maybe like 100g of sugar to taste, quarter up another lemon and lime, put the juice, sugar and whole fruit a container muddle to get the oils out, then add some mint and muddle that (I add separately as if you add all at once you can overextract the mint). Now you've a nice syrup you can add to seltzer to make sparkling limeaid.

The Bandit posted:

This, but zest the fruit ahead of time. I usually zest 8-10 limes, cover with a cup of sugar. Let it sit for 8-24 hours, shake it occasionally. Add enough water to dissolve the sugar.

So I now have:
Lemon-lime juice/zest "concentrate"
Mint simple syrup

Each of those to taste with seltzer made a great first drink, made wife feel like a real person again :cheers:

I have normal simple to make normal limeade and I'll be making lavender simple soon!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

So I now have:
Lemon-lime juice/zest "concentrate"
Mint simple syrup

Each of those to taste with seltzer made a great first drink, made wife feel like a real person again :cheers:

I have normal simple to make normal limeade and I'll be making lavender simple soon!

Awesome! Glad to hear it and congrats on the newborn :)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

With regards to milk washing, I only have 2% not whole milk. Usually I'd just go out and buy some whole milk but given that we're trying to limit trips is there any problems with using 2% instead of whole milk?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Carillon posted:

With regards to milk washing, I only have 2% not whole milk. Usually I'd just go out and buy some whole milk but given that we're trying to limit trips is there any problems with using 2% instead of whole milk?

There won't be enough fat to pull stuff into probably

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
We had cocktails for the first time and it was good fun! We made daiquiris and some godfathers to use up what Disaronno we had left. I have a few questions for next time...

If we did this with more people with one shaker, is there a “best way” to make multiple cocktails of the same type at home?

How do I make a lot of lime juice? Juices seem like the kind of thing I should prepare a lot of in advance

Is there an easy way to convert between measurements? It's a bit of a pain to navigate things like 1 1/4 oz when my measure is 50ml/25ml.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Impromptu Flip posted:

How do I make a lot of lime juice? Juices seem like the kind of thing I should prepare a lot of in advance

I’m also just starting out, but I can heartily recommend buying a Mexican Elbow for squeezing limes and lemons. Much quicker, better yield.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Impromptu Flip posted:

If we did this with more people with one shaker, is there a “best way” to make multiple cocktails of the same type at home?

Is there an easy way to convert between measurements? It's a bit of a pain to navigate things like 1 1/4 oz when my measure is 50ml/25ml.

Solve both of these at once! Double your recipe and trust your shaker to hold it all. Also ratios are all that matter, so 1 1/4 oz strong / 3/4 oz sour / 1/2 oz sweet could double to 2.5/1.5/1 which seems easier to convert to 125/75/50 ml using 50 ml as the "1"

Impromptu Flip posted:

Buy a citrus press and never look back. Note: I love this style but not sure about this brand. Looks like you can find one for $60 if you want to save :10bux:

Be aware that citrus juice changes flavor as it sits. Lemon and lime benefit from 4-10 hours, though orange juice is best fresh. So don't juice an entire day in advance.

If you are strapped for time, juicing on demand is totally fine, and asking your guests to do it will make it a group activity!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I use Santa Cruz organic lime and lemon juice for drinks at home. It holds very well, and while it might not have the same freshness and flavor of fresh squeezed juice, the convenience of it outstrips the quality loss for me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

So I did some zero proof stuff!

[Lavender simple goes here, forgot photo]

The Lemon-lime concentrate plus the mint simple was great! Baby momma thought it reminded her of a French 75, though that may have been the lemon spiral, champagne flute, and effervescence.

Lemon-lime with lavender was interesting but not notable. I think I'll do just lemon juice next, and after that some tonic water.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made a French 75 for my pregnant wife using Ritual zero proof gin, and seltzer water with a splash of versus blanc for champagne. She said she likes it better than real ones lol.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
Thanks guys, that's super helpful! Turns out we have access to a mexican elbow which will do for the next session. If it becomes a more frequent occurrence, I'll invest in one of those upright presses. I had no idea such a thing existed and it looks great.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I use Santa Cruz organic lime and lemon juice for drinks at home. It holds very well, and while it might not have the same freshness and flavor of fresh squeezed juice, the convenience of it outstrips the quality loss for me.
Same. I really only fresh squeeze juice if I'm entertaining (which obviously isn't happening much these days), if I'm treating myself, or if I've basically peeled the whole thing and it's either that or throw it away.

I made some lime cordial tonight with this recipe, and I'm pretty sure I'm only drinking Gimlets the rest of the summer. Holy moly this is good stuff.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I made that on Friday myself inspired by the how to drink video. It's so good, I was really happy with how it came out as well.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Professor Wayne posted:

Same. I really only fresh squeeze juice if I'm entertaining (which obviously isn't happening much these days), if I'm treating myself, or if I've basically peeled the whole thing and it's either that or throw it away.

I made some lime cordial tonight with this recipe, and I'm pretty sure I'm only drinking Gimlets the rest of the summer. Holy moly this is good stuff.

Maybe I'll horseshoe and go back, but I've come around to only using fresh juice (except pineapple juice and even that's a matter of time till I cave) but as a pretentious rear end in a top hat I only drink gimlets with Rose's since that's how the Brit in The Long Goodbye said to do it (okay and because it's better) so I am definitely going to try this out

e: I'm also told a fresh lime juice gimlet can be good with powdered sugar but I've never tried to make one nor gone to a place like the Matchbox in Chicago that supposedly does them well

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
He may have been a dual citizen but Chandler was born in Chicago. And a fresh lime gimlet is delicious. It’s a gin sour, why wouldn’t it be good

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Maestro posted:

He may have been a dual citizen but Chandler was born in Chicago. And a fresh lime gimlet is delicious. It’s a gin sour, why wouldn’t it be good

I mean the British guy at the bar drinking with Marlowe in the novel. And I almost always think it's silly to defer to a recipe just because of some tradition or lore, but I really like the 1:1 gin : Rose's gimlet, but it's something so sour that you probably wouldn't try it if you didn't have a pretext to.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That’s fair

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a cocktail that would go well with sour cherry marbled brownies (dessert), that incorporates some of the liquor from the cherries. Cherries were canned with some type of spirit, and I have this bowl of sweetened leftover juice, almost like a cherry grenadine. Doesn't need to go with the brownies, but should make sense to have afterward. Assume a well-stocked bar.

I was thinking something like cream, coffee liqueur, rum, and some of the cherry juice, but I'm open to suggestions. I thought a blood and sand with it in place of cherry heering would be interesting but I don't see it working with brownies.

e: maybe use it in a flip?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 5, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My immediate thought was a manhattan with chocolate bitters. My partner likes to pour some syrup from the cherry jar into hers.

For something less obvious, how about an ankle breaker? One part each of cherry liqueur, overproof light rum and lemon juice, with a half part of simple syrup.

I wonder if subbing something like Lemon Hart 151 in for the light rum would better compliment a brownie, or if it’d make the drink too cloying.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you’re pairing it with the dessert, I would stay away from a sweet drink. You want something to complement and contrast. (Well, I would)

I like the Manhattan style drink with chocolate bitters idea - balance it out with some amaro perhaps. A fizz type is a good idea too because the acidic citrus and fizzy water will cut through the sweetness of the dessert. Whiskey + cherry + lemon + angostura + soda water, and you can further modify that with amaro or port or sweet vermouth

For a pre dinner drink, I’d go fizzy, but less boozy - dry vermouth or aperol or dry sherry, like an ounce of gin, cherry, lemon + splash of OJ, champagne or soda water

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thirding the Manhattan idea esp with chocolate bitters.

A Blood and Sand is tricky to get right and I don't think the brownies would benefit from the citrus.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Blood and Sand is a bad drink and no spec of it has ever been worth drinking imo

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Blood and Sand is a bad drink and no spec of it has ever been worth drinking imo

:agreed: This is what I forgot to say

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Stop me if there's a better thread to post this but:

My at home bar is pretty empty these days and I'd like to do a big buy of liqours to get it back up and running. What's the best/cheapest online seller that people can recommend? I'm in Brooklyn so most local places are outrageously expensive but I think some websites will ship here? I know wine.com has been pushing a $50 off coupon lately. Any tips?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Astor Wines and Spirits is fantastic for variety and price. I know they used to do free shipping on your first order, I hope they still do that because with any of these retailers shipping is always expensive. Either way, their prices are good and they have a lot of hard-to-find stuff. Plus they're in Manhattan so it won't be an arm and a leg to ship to you anyway.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
I live on Long Island too and I've been using wine.com since March. It's been pretty great.

I used to use astor wines until I had 2 bad experiences with them.

Wine.com has a thing where you pay $50 and all your orders for the year ship free.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Y'all got any boulevadier recipes you really like? I'm thinking 2:1:1 ratio with either hogs 3 or makers. Don't have any time to get oranges before this evening, would a dash of Orange bitter be a bad idea?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I like 1.5:1:0.75 whiskey:vermouth:campari. Orange bitters are never a bad idea in Negroni-adjacent drinks. A lemon twist is nice too, if you happen to have lemons.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Klauser posted:

I live on Long Island too and I've been using wine.com since March. It's been pretty great.

I used to use astor wines until I had 2 bad experiences with them.

Wine.com has a thing where you pay $50 and all your orders for the year ship free.

What were your bad experiences with Astor? I also live on LI and was JUST considering an order with them

Carillon
May 9, 2014

field balm posted:

Y'all got any boulevadier recipes you really like? I'm thinking 2:1:1 ratio with either hogs 3 or makers. Don't have any time to get oranges before this evening, would a dash of Orange bitter be a bad idea?

I generally enjoy something closer to ~1.2:1:0.9 for whisky, campari, vermouth. I may have to try 2:1:1 to see, but I do like the balance of the drink with more even proportions. And what type of Orange bitters? Fee wouldn't be an issue, some others might be too bitter though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I love Bananardiers.

1 bourbon
1 sweet vermouth
0.5 campari
0.5 creme de banane

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Classic 2:1:1 here. A dash of chocolate bitters to make it a Left Hand is my fave though. An Old Pal is nice too - Rye, dry vermouth, and Campari.

It’s just a really good base recipe - swap in whatever spirit, aromatized wine, and bitter, and it will probably be delicious. Get funky and do an Earl Grey tincture, or split bases/modifiers, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Speaking of which, anyone got chocolate bitters recs? I have always used Bittermens’ Xocolatl Mole bitters, but I’m interested in finding something without the spice note and more of a bittersweet cacao flavor.