Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I liked Aliens: Labyrinth because I'm a huge fan of Killian Plunkett's art. Also Aliens: Salvation for Mike Mignola's art.

As a kid I liked the 1st 2 Dark Horse Aliens volumes, though the art in the 1st one by Mark A. Nelson didn't resonate as much as volume 2's Denis Beauvais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Those are all old as hell. I read that poo poo years ago.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
https://geekologie.com/2020/07/beautifully-creepy-facehugger-mask.php

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yo, Xenomrph (and others), what are some good recent Alien comics? FWIW I liked Dead Orbit, thought the William Gibson Alien³ was interesting but a bit meh, and thought the Defiance series started out strong but kind of ran out of steam at some point. Any other newish ones worth checking out?

Also, any good recent Alien novels? I read a bunch of the older ones as a wee lad.

For comics, I really liked Aliens: Dust to Dust. For novels, Aliens: The Cold Forge is good stuff.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Xenomrph posted:

For comics, I really liked Aliens: Dust to Dust. For novels, Aliens: The Cold Forge is good stuff.
I bought a copy of Cold Forge and started the "pass it around" book club, but I don't think the guy who got it ever sent it on to anyone else.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I listened to Cold Forge on Audible. It was pretty good.

For some reason I picture Dorian as Christoph Wlatz.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://i.imgur.com/2cVnB2I.mp4

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

someone has a really cool dad/mom/parents

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Happy birthday to one good bean.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The first comic issue of Alien - The Original Screenplay came out today, it has some of the same beats as the main movie we know and love but a lot is different from the characters to their ship being called Snark. Yeah, really. The Alien ship is different and so is the space jockey who can be seen on the cover:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've been playing a neat Metroidvania type game called CARRION that relates to this thread's interests

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Splicer posted:

I've been playing a neat Metroidvania type game called CARRION that relates to this thread's interests

It's really good especially the obvious inspirations from 80s era body horror and creature feature films like The Thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keltar posted:

The first comic issue of Alien - The Original Screenplay came out today, it has some of the same beats as the main movie we know and love but a lot is different from the characters to their ship being called Snark. Yeah, really.
For those interested, you can find the old original screenplay online here.

Splicer posted:

Carrion is pretty great, and yeah it's worth pointing out that despite what the trailers show, it's very much a metroidvania.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thinking about Aliens because I just had a wild rear end dream where a xenomorph was my best friend and we went on all sorts of adventures in a crazy world. I miss you friend I will never forget you

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I know all the Xeno designs are phallic as hell, but as much as I love the movies I;m not gonna wear something that looks like it has its balls on my chin

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm thinking about Aliens because I was just watching a video from the MRE review guy Steve1989 and he was wearing a shirt with the picture of Bill Paxton's face with the words Game Over Man on it.

Thinking about that shirt.

edit: here it is

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

rain dogs posted:

I know all the Xeno designs are phallic as hell, but as much as I love the movies I;m not gonna wear something that looks like it has its balls on my chin

Turn you're monitor on.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

madeintaipei posted:

Turn you're monitor on.

:boom:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hey, how old were you when you saw Alien, Aliens, or read any of the comics?

Think about that for a second.

I rented Aliens from the library at age 9.
"Are you sure?", they ask.
Dammit, I've been looking at the thing the last ten times we've been to the library!

The huge smiles on my parents' faces should have clued me in.

It did not.

The body horror was what got me. Yeah, the product is terrifying. The process is worse. Grandma just died of cancer, so it seemed to me like the disease personified. Walking, stalking death. The cats freaked me out for weeks after we got to Hicks peeping through the ceiling and I noped out behind the couch.

Now I love the whole concept. Anything by Jodorowsky is a huge hit with me. Metabaron, Incal, it always touches on the squishier, darker side of things. Brzezinski, Giger, Nabakov, Ballard, Grant Naylor. All good. But there is hope and a degree of normalcy in all their stories.

The exomorph, though. That has always been, for me, the avatar of pure malice. No light there. Tetragrammaton, insane stuntdrivers, the Polymorph, all these things can be overcome. Not the bugs. They just kill your rear end.

So. Thinking about Aliens, balls on your face ain't that bad.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I must have been about 8-10 years old when I first saw Alien. It was a really good memory. A family friends' family was having a big cook out in their backyard and they had a big projector. This must have been the early 90s. I remember I tried smoked salmon for the first time from a fish with the head still on. I wasn't a fan. I think it was the eyes looking at me.

Well we watched Jaws on it, and that's a different story. To this day that's still one of the best movies I've ever seen (besides Aliens). When we finished that my friend's dad took us up into the attic to pick another movie. My friend wanted Superman but I saw Alien and thought, hey this has gotta be fun. ET was great! Yeah.... It was a party of adults so my friend's dad went with Alien.

I was scared shitless but I'll never forget that experience. I don't remember the first time I saw Aliens the whole way through for the first time. I do remember watching the last part of it in my parent's bedroom and I was freaking out when Bishop got ripped apart and my mom trying to calm me down saying he was the good guy. Then I saw the power loader thing and that was just awesome.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I must have been about 8-10 years old when I first saw Alien. It was a really good memory. A family friends' family was having a big cook out in their backyard and they had a big projector. This must have been the early 90s. I remember I tried smoked salmon for the first time from a fish with the head still on. I wasn't a fan. I think it was the eyes looking at me.

Well we watched Jaws on it, and that's a different story. To this day that's still one of the best movies I've ever seen (besides Aliens). When we finished that my friend's dad took us up into the attic to pick another movie. My friend wanted Superman but I saw Alien and thought, hey this has gotta be fun. ET was great! Yeah.... It was a party of adults so my friend's dad went with Alien.

I was scared shitless but I'll never forget that experience. I don't remember the first time I saw Aliens the whole way through for the first time. I do remember watching the last part of it in my parent's bedroom and I was freaking out when Bishop got ripped apart and my mom trying to calm me down saying he was the good guy. Then I saw the power loader thing and that was just awesome.

Thank you for sharing!

This why I like SA (and you!). You're good people.

Everytime I get in a work truck it feels like the loading dock scene. "Where do you want it?"

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

absolute king poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How could you possibly think to get away with naming a movie a sequel of a movie from a different company that you had nothing to do with?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I think that there's never been a time where I "hadn't seen Aliens yet". I was born having seen Aliens.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

Carrion is pretty great, and yeah it's worth pointing out that despite what the trailers show, it's very much a metroidvania.
I finished it and holy hell do they stick the landing

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
if this was already posted well :I

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1469569406540595&extid=4VwwYS4IipUHRKPy

sound on!

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 8, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jay_Zombie posted:

I think that there's never been a time where I "hadn't seen Aliens yet". I was born having seen Aliens.

Lucky, I was 5 when Aliens came out

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How could you possibly think to get away with naming a movie a sequel of a movie from a different company that you had nothing to do with?

There are a few examples of this kind of thing in Italian exploitation movies. Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters is probably the most famous example.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aw yeah DJ Faluz working the tables.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My ex is freaking out about the idea of letting my 9.5 year old kid watch Predator.

I don't remember anything overly horrible with that movie (?) but I could be remembering that from seeing it on TV so much and not remembering the cut parts. He's seen T1 and T2 plus Alien 1 and 2 with no side effects. I haven't seen uncut Predator in a while but worse thing I remember is the skinned soldiers.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The attack on the rebel camp is pretty ’A Team’ in terms of violence. I think the giant hole in Blaine and the son of a bitch’s arm getting blown off (along with the skinned and gutted bodies mentioned earlier) are the icky bits. Profanity I’ll trust imdb here:

quote:

24 uses of gently caress (in which 8 are paired with mother), and 2 in Spanish, many uses of poo poo. Other words like bitch, rear end, drat, goddamn, hell. A couple uses of stronger language like pussy, human being, cocksucker.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If your kid was fine with Aliens, I can't think of anything in Predator that would be worse. Although you never quite know what kids are going to find terrifying.

Vagabundo posted:

There are a few examples of this kind of thing in Italian exploitation movies. Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters is probably the most famous example.
Don't forget Terminator 2, which is weirdly more of an Aliens ripoff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Predator is definitely gorier than Aliens. Aliens saves the really gory bits for the guy who bleeds cum.

Torquemada posted:

The attack on the rebel camp is pretty ’A Team’ in terms of violence. I think the giant hole in Blaine and the son of a bitch’s arm getting blown off (along with the skinned and gutted bodies mentioned earlier) are the icky bits. Profanity I’ll trust imdb here:

Mac’s head also gets blown off pretty grossly.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Apparently, Predator earns it's R rating mainly from a ton of f-bombs and graphic violence. I honestly don't remember the language and thought "You're one ugly motherfucker" was the isolated fbomb but, like I said, grew up watching it on TBS and mainstream cable channels so of course it was cleaned up. I made the same mistake with Terminator 1 and had forgotten a few "adult leaning" segments in that one since I had mainly watched it cut for TV.

My boy hears me say "gently caress" probably ten times a week so whatever on that but I don't want to get blindsided by some insanely grisly scene I had memory holed either. He wants to watch Robocop and that's a hard "no" because yeah. Maybe Starship Troopers. I think he'd like that.

And speaking of watching movies with kids (and this has nothing to do with the thread) I showed him the original Clash of the Titans last night and, whoa. There's a naked breast feeding scene in that thing right in the beginning which I didn't remember at all. I just let it go with no comment and he didn't ask about it but I always thought that movie was rated PG. Was not expecting titties.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Ha on Clash of the Titans, same thing happened to me. I watched with my nephew a year ago and was hyping it up. My sister ask about the rating, yeah no problemo, it's PG. boobies. That was the first thing he said when she asked how it was.

As a kid we had a recording of Predator on VHS, watched it about everyday. It was the TV version. Bought it a few years back as an adult and oh boy is that way better than I remember. Let the kiddo watch it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wait how old does a kid have to be to see Robocop?

I'd have said 10 is definitely fine.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Sunswipe posted:

If your kid was fine with Aliens, I can't think of anything in Predator that would be worse. Although you never quite know what kids are going to find terrifying.

Don't forget Terminator 2, which is weirdly more of an Aliens ripoff.

There was also the Italian Alien 2

[Url] https://youtu.be/eIUh-G5Qc5A[/Url]

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wait how old does a kid have to be to see Robocop?

I'd have said 10 is definitely fine.

Probably right.
We rented Robocop while our uncle and aunt was baby sitting us.
They stopped it at the acid tank scene, they wanted to stop it at murphy's death, thinking it was too much for us.
We thought it was hilarious and wanted to see it on rewind.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember seriously considering shunning my mother for the rest of my life when she refused to let me watch Predator when I was like 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Last year, I showed Predator to my class of 18 year-olds at an all girls Catholic school.

They hated it. :negative:

They loved Terminator 2 though.

This year, for the film production assessment, I used some of Martin Asbury's Alien 3 storyboards as exemplars, putting them up against screenshots from the film.

Somehow, I didn't get yelled at by head of faculty for that.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 9, 2020