Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was really worried about them with my Aarakocra monk because Aarakocra have a lifespan of like 30 years total in 5e. We had one encounter with a monster that we thought might be a ghost (i think it turned out to be a non-hostile NPC, don't really remember) and I got so panicked that my DM just said "don't worry, I wouldn't kill you with an aging effect, that'd be bullshit" because it really would have been a save-or-die instakill.
Show up with an identical Aarakocra who perfectly mimics the first one except for occasionally reciting random dialogues about the nature of self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Splicer posted:

Show up with an identical Aarakocra who perfectly mimics the first one except for occasionally reciting random dialogues about the nature of self

My backstory was / is that I fell out of a hole in the sky from the Elemental Plane of Air. At one point I proposed to the Dm that if I died, another one of me would just pop out again. He balked at that.

My backup character now though is the goliath crusher feat conquest paladin I was talking about a few pages ago. Birds are great but I like some variety in what I play anyway.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
The party I GM for's conquest paladin is kind of a... well, he's a great roleplayer when he wants but sometimes he's a bit slow on the intake regarding the mechanical side of the game. Except now some of his buddies have picked up fear spells and he's finally figured out the build's gimmick and it's all coming together. Really love that archetype.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

New UA: bard and warlock subclasses

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/subclasses-part-4

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wait, but the undying warlock already exists? Seems pretty similar?

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

In which the designers continue the trend of having a major subclass feature be determined by rolling on a random table of 10+ results, some of which are very strong, some of which are completely inconsequential. Hooray.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i appreciate the attempt to make binder work as a subclass of bard, but it totally failed here. i see what they did. swing and a miss

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Confused how the bard can even roll above a 6, since it doesn't seem to mention being able to roll two dice at some point.

EDIT: I would not call that an attempt at a Binder, at all. It seems more like a Medium/Spiritualist who does seances and instills a spirit into an ally maybe.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Ryuujin posted:

Confused how the bard can even roll above a 6, since it doesn't seem to mention being able to roll two dice at some point.

Bardic inspiration die get bigger as you level. It's a d12 by 15.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

EDIT: I would not call that an attempt at a Binder, at all. It seems more like a Medium/Spiritualist who does seances and instills a spirit into an ally maybe.

i could see it being a lot closer to pathfinder medium yeah. either way, it really just doesnt land and feels disjointed and weird, unlike the warlock which kicks rear end. if you have a lore bard they can take contingency and use "if death husk triggers, cast a heal on warlock" to create an instant respawn and heal in combat with a huge aoe.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 5, 2020

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Wasn't really happy with the Warlock. I didn't feel like their big transformation was all that impressive. But some of the later abilities can be good with it, if not for the fact that it involves using Necrotic damage which might be a bad idea.

That said hitting for 2d10 on each Eldritch Blast would be crazy.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
lol that warlock corpse explosion owns

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Wasn't really happy with the Warlock. I didn't feel like their big transformation was all that impressive. But some of the later abilities can be good with it, if not for the fact that it involves using Necrotic damage which might be a bad idea.

That said hitting for 2d10 on each Eldritch Blast would be crazy.

The warlock transformation is absolutely nuts once that bonus damage feature comes online. At level 6, three times per day for what is probably an entire combat the warlock is dealing 4d10+8 damage eldritch blasts, which also make the enemy save against being frightened.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I don't feel like it answers a question that anybody is asking. Is anyone really complaining that Eldritch Blast isn't strong enough? I'd much rather get some patrons that offer up different play styles.

Also, a seance bard that doesn't have some sort of way to cast Augury for free seems like a mistake.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I had an idea for an encounter, and figured I'd post it here for any general feedback. Mild chapter 3 Avernus spoilers:

My players are moving on to the Demon Zapper next. They're past the point it was relevant, and basically visiting it because the name intrigued them. So, I figured I'd make it more self-contained and an opportunity to get some treasure or whatever: The Dao has a business arrangement with Zariel and is passing time until their meeting. In keeping with their greedy nature, she's using the Zapper in some capacity to gamble with the locals.

I was trying to think of games that could use the spire and best/silliest idea I had was to paint a big roulette wheel under it and use any zapped bodies as the "ball". I have no idea how fun or annoying gambling generally is to players, but I fully accept they may cheat and would encourage it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't feel like it answers a question that anybody is asking. Is anyone really complaining that Eldritch Blast isn't strong enough? I'd much rather get some patrons that offer up different play styles.

Also, a seance bard that doesn't have some sort of way to cast Augury for free seems like a mistake.

I feel like Warlock as a class kind of has some problems compared to the other casters, but Eldritch Blast really isn't one of them. It is head and shoulders the best cantrip in terms of straight damage once you add your Charisma to damage. That Warlock UA seems like feature creep at best or just poorly edited and due for rework at worst.

For what it's worth I do like 5e warlocks, and it's fun to see how much differently one warlock plays from another with Patron and Pact giving you two different degrees of separation from another lock, but man the limited spell slots is rough especially in mid-level. I really want to give a Celestial Tome warlock a shot sometime, having 8 cantrips by level 4 (3rd at level 4, 3 from any class from the tome, light and Sacred flame from the patron) and an a psuedo Lay Hands, and +cha on fire/radiant damage could convince me to save an invocation on the +damage to eldritch blast to use somewhere else. They get revive, but none of the more advanced resurrections, so they aren't a perfect substitute for a cleric / divine soul / arcane theurge, but you would be able to do good enough in a pinch.

Unrelated question: Has there been any fan projects to modernize Spelljammers for 5e? I really want to try out that world again, it seems like it would be good for a laugh.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 5, 2020

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

5e warlocks are cool and i think invocations are a really cool feature that allow for a lot more customization than any other class gets, but the super limited spell slots are rough (and dependent on your DM allowing for short rests, but that’s more a problem/feature of 5e’s encounter design)

i dunno if it would totally gently caress the game balance but allowing for post combat recharge rolls for expended spell slots (ala 13th age’s recharge system) for warlocks might make them more viable as casters

most of the fun i get from playing warlocks is rolling what is essentially a fairly squishy ranged combatant (with a light crossbow) and doing long distance smites and occasional cones of cold and not even using eldritch blast

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

5e warlocks are cool and i think invocations are a really cool feature that allow for a lot more customization than any other class gets, but the super limited spell slots are rough (and dependent on your DM allowing for short rests, but that’s more a problem/feature of 5e’s encounter design)

i dunno if it would totally gently caress the game balance but allowing for post combat recharge rolls for expended spell slots (ala 13th age’s recharge system) for warlocks might make them more viable as casters

most of the fun i get from playing warlocks is rolling what is essentially a fairly squishy ranged combatant (with a light crossbow) and doing long distance smites and occasional cones of cold and not even using eldritch blast

If you think the spell slot thing is an issue, just make short rests 10minutes instead of an hour.

edit-Your fighter will love you for it too.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Declan MacManus posted:

too bad there's no version of D&D where some of your powers refresh after every encounter instead of at DM discretion :(

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Gobbeldygook posted:

too bad there's no version of D&D where some of your powers refresh after every encounter instead of at DM discretion :(

They should call it D&D Tactics and re-release it.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 6, 2020

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Madmarker posted:

If you think the spell slot thing is an issue, just make short rests 10minutes instead of an hour.

edit-Your fighter will love you for it too.

If the warlock gets to rest before every encounter then warlock OP - two top tier spells per encounter is too much. If they never do then they're underpowered. This is a problem with multiple recharge rates.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

engessa posted:

I want to introduce the Underdark to our group. Currently we're running Lost Mines of Phandelver and after this we're going to do Dragon of Icespire Peak. Basically i'm looking for a quest that gives us a good reason the explore the Underdark for a few sessions with some lore about what it is and how it works. Anyone have any tips?

What if Wave Echo Cave's underground lake is an entrance to the Underdark? Maybe the drow villain guy is working with someone in the underdark, and rather than him having the dwarf brother hostage, he believes the dwarf has the secret to reactivating the spell forge and has sent him onward for advanced interrogation. Alternatively, the reason the spell forge barely functions is because he's already removed the weaveknot crystal that powered it, and once rescued in the cave the dwarf brother begs the party to venture into the underdark to retrieve it. crystal or kidnapped dwarf, their quarry has only maybe a few days head-start on the group, so they can catch up within a few sessions, and either return to the surface via Wave Echo Cave, or find an alternative exit to the surface.

If you go for the kidnapped dwarf, maybe the format is:
Party crosses underground lake to a Deep Gnome settlement, which is being terrorised by Duergar who periodically demand tributes of gems and slaves. The drow headed for the Duergar base, but one Deep Gnome recognises the drow kidnapper as being from [insert nearby drow city], and suggests they may be headed there. Maybe the players need disguises to get into the drow city, and the deep gnomes can help them in exchange for [insert interesting underdark encounter]. Either way the players have a choice of direction, which leads to them learning more about Duergar or Drow. Whether the players decide to go to the drow city or the duergar camp, it turns out that either after interrogating the dwarf for all their worth or to try to get some heat off herself and lose the players, the drow sold the dwarf to a passing illithid slave caravan, which the players can then catch up to after some exploration, defeat the illithid leading it, rescue dwarf brother and head home.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

neonchameleon posted:

If the warlock gets to rest before every encounter then warlock OP - two top tier spells per encounter is too much. If they never do then they're underpowered. This is a problem with multiple recharge rates.

There is a certain transparency in simply declaring that every encounter ends in a short rest, every session ends with a long rest, and any balancing will be done by the DM. I've never played that way, but it would certainly revamp the normal Wizard dominance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something where you can try to do a DC 10 + Spell Level concentration check to try to regain spell slots could be a good way to extend the lifespan of a wizard too.

Is there like a batter version of a monk that melds together ki points with like, Battle Master Manneuvers? I feel like ki points are kind of a too limited resource, the best move tends to be stunning strike, and I'd like to have other interactions and feel like Monk isn't enough of a martial artist when things like grappling to do joint locks, chokes, trips and throws are all things martial artists are "good" at but aren't well represented mechanically. For example an enemy that attacks me if I can catch and throw them should not only miss, but perhaps I can throw them to any adjacent square next to me? Perhaps I can just catch a weapon between my knee and elbow and they have to spend an action to free it.

Basically, instead of having a resource pool of X maneuvers or Y ki points, just need to succeed at athletics checks to try to do what I want to do, and perhaps they get easier if I'm fighting an enemy long enough to learn their movements.

This way each round based on what I've experienced I can always be trying something that might be effective; with ki points being like metamagic where I can spend one to do the check at advantage or something.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

Ten minutes is not the same as every encounter. It does drastically decrease the time, but there are tons of scenarios...wandering monsters, a target escaping with a mcguffin, or just a general threat that prevent that. I agree with multiple recharge rates being dumb, but saying that ten minute rests is the same as a short rest every encounter is a pretty blatant strawman.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Something where you can try to do a DC 10 + Spell Level concentration check to try to regain spell slots could be a good way to extend the lifespan of a wizard too.

Is there like a batter version of a monk that melds together ki points with like, Battle Master Manneuvers? I feel like ki points are kind of a too limited resource, the best move tends to be stunning strike, and I'd like to have other interactions and feel like Monk isn't enough of a martial artist when things like grappling to do joint locks, chokes, trips and throws are all things martial artists are "good" at but aren't well represented mechanically. For example an enemy that attacks me if I can catch and throw them should not only miss, but perhaps I can throw them to any adjacent square next to me? Perhaps I can just catch a weapon between my knee and elbow and they have to spend an action to free it.

Basically, instead of having a resource pool of X maneuvers or Y ki points, just need to succeed at athletics checks to try to do what I want to do, and perhaps they get easier if I'm fighting an enemy long enough to learn their movements.

This way each round based on what I've experienced I can always be trying something that might be effective; with ki points being like metamagic where I can spend one to do the check at advantage or something.

Monks are just bad. Monk damage is poor, their defenses (outside of saves at very high levels) are poor. Their hp is poor. Their skills are generally mediocre. Their mobility is their one good trait, but since they typically lack str, they don't even climb or jump very well (admittedly a good dm will just let them use acrobatics here, but still). If you want to be a monk with maneuvers, honestly just wholesale reskin whatever weapon your Dex Battlemaster Fighter is using as unarmed strikes and call them a monk.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there like a batter version of a monk that melds together ki points with like, Battle Master Manneuvers? I feel like ki points are kind of a too limited resource, the best move tends to be stunning strike, and I'd like to have other interactions and feel like Monk isn't enough of a martial artist

Depends - I think that Flurry is normally better with an Open Hand monk as you get to throw people around or knock them down with your flurries. The Shadow monk is much more controlled of course - but it's a ninja more than a martial artist. The Drunken Master, getting a free disengage and movement with their flurry and getting to redirect attacks with ki points is also a pretty good martial artist. (We don't talk about Four Elements)

Seriously, there's a lot in the various Monk subclasses. And I think what you're trying to make sounds like a decent new Monk subclass.

Edit: And who cares about climbing or jumping when you can simply teleport? A lot of the monk's power, as mentioned, is in their subclasses.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 6, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Madmarker posted:

Monks are just bad. Monk damage is poor, their defenses (outside of saves at very high levels) are poor. Their hp is poor. Their skills are generally mediocre. Their mobility is their one good trait, but since they typically lack str, they don't even climb or jump very well (admittedly a good dm will just let them use acrobatics here, but still). If you want to be a monk with maneuvers, honestly just wholesale reskin whatever weapon your Dex Battlemaster Fighter is using as unarmed strikes and call them a monk.

One of my buddies uses this strength based monk that solves some of those issues: https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/312847

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Reveilled posted:

What if Wave Echo Cave's underground lake is an entrance to the Underdark? Maybe the drow villain guy is working with someone in the underdark, and rather than him having the dwarf brother hostage, he believes the dwarf has the secret to reactivating the spell forge and has sent him onward for advanced interrogation. Alternatively, the reason the spell forge barely functions is because he's already removed the weaveknot crystal that powered it, and once rescued in the cave the dwarf brother begs the party to venture into the underdark to retrieve it. crystal or kidnapped dwarf, their quarry has only maybe a few days head-start on the group, so they can catch up within a few sessions, and either return to the surface via Wave Echo Cave, or find an alternative exit to the surface.

If you go for the kidnapped dwarf, maybe the format is:
Party crosses underground lake to a Deep Gnome settlement, which is being terrorised by Duergar who periodically demand tributes of gems and slaves. The drow headed for the Duergar base, but one Deep Gnome recognises the drow kidnapper as being from [insert nearby drow city], and suggests they may be headed there. Maybe the players need disguises to get into the drow city, and the deep gnomes can help them in exchange for [insert interesting underdark encounter]. Either way the players have a choice of direction, which leads to them learning more about Duergar or Drow. Whether the players decide to go to the drow city or the duergar camp, it turns out that either after interrogating the dwarf for all their worth or to try to get some heat off herself and lose the players, the drow sold the dwarf to a passing illithid slave caravan, which the players can then catch up to after some exploration, defeat the illithid leading it, rescue dwarf brother and head home.
Thanks for these suggestions! Any tips on where to read up on the Underdark? I have very little knowlegde about it except what i saw in the Baldurs Gate 3 presentations.. I'll try to get my hands on Out of the Abyss, i think thats the book that has info on the Underdark.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
The level 20 warlock feature should honestly be like a level 6 feature. A once per day "Free" recharge would help level things out a lot for groups that rarely take short rests. And I bet there's something much more interesting you could have as a capstone feature for the class that is about making deals with an impossibly powerful entity.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

engessa posted:

Thanks for these suggestions! Any tips on where to read up on the Underdark? I have very little knowlegde about it except what i saw in the Baldurs Gate 3 presentations.. I'll try to get my hands on Out of the Abyss, i think thats the book that has info on the Underdark.

Out of the Abyss would probably be a good shout, for something free I'd recommend finding an LP of Baldur's Gate 2 maybe? The third quarter of the game takes place in the Underdark. You could also try to get a copy of the 2nd edition supplement Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

engessa posted:

I want to introduce the Underdark to our group. Currently we're running Lost Mines of Phandelver and after this we're going to do Dragon of Icespire Peak. Basically i'm looking for a quest that gives us a good reason the explore the Underdark for a few sessions with some lore about what it is and how it works. Anyone have any tips?

Running the start of Out of the Abyss would be an obvious way to go about it.

It's made to start at level 1, but can easily be run starting at other levels (I did level 4). It opens with the party in jail in the Underdark, having been captured by Drow, so you could set it up by having overwhelming Drow numbers attack and capture the party beforehand. So far I've run the first couple of chapters plus Sloop and Neverlight Grove and my group generally enjoyed it all, but the book as a whole is a bit on-rails and looks to be of varying quality, so you could easily just use a couple of set pieces (I recommend the jail and possibly Neverlight Grove). Don't buy the whole book if you're just gonna do that. Look up online ressources.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Reveilled posted:

... You could also try to get a copy of the 2nd edition supplement Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.
Ah, that seems to contain the info i'm looking for. Great suggestion! A lot of those setting books from older edition are pretty great for adding depth to the campaign. I'm also reading Elminster's Forgotten Realms which has a bunch of flavor stuff. If you have any more tips about the Forgotten Realms, please share!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

engessa posted:

Ah, that seems to contain the info i'm looking for. Great suggestion! A lot of those setting books from older edition are pretty great for adding depth to the campaign. I'm also reading Elminster's Forgotten Realms which has a bunch of flavor stuff. If you have any more tips about the Forgotten Realms, please share!

HELLO YOU HAVE ENTERED MY MAGICAL REALM

where do you want to start

honestly I wouldn't start with drizzt do'urden's guide to the underdark as an introductory piece, simply because it's a really great, really heavy lore book that isn't going to be a good introductory summary. I'd look at the 3e or 4e Underdark books for an idea of what the Underdark is "like" beyond 5e's coverage.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you're just looking for inspiration, Veins of the Earth is for a different game entirely but really drives home a creepy Underdark.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Hey! I am creating magical items for my players, which is semi-driven by them. They can spend an inspiration point after a session and receive a schematic for a magical item. So far I have created for my level 3 players:

Edge of dawn:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/23WhmmgA_
Divulger of secrets:
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/aqMD7ljvW

To create an item they give me:

Recourse: Steel, silver, gold, bone
Shape: Sword, necklace, drum etc.
Theme: Fire, time, ice, retribution, shadows
Purpose: To make me jump higher, to avoid being hit, make me good at killing goblins.

In this case my player gave me:

Recource= Silver and topaz
Item = Ring
Purpose = To make me avoid being hit or targeted
Theme = Fear

I am willing to take suggestions. I though either an item which creates fear in enemies as a reaction to being attacked. Or maybe creates defenses if she curles herself up.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Midig posted:

Hey! I am creating magical items for my players, which is semi-driven by them. They can spend an inspiration point after a session and receive a schematic for a magical item. So far I have created for my level 3 players:

Recource= Silver and topaz
Item = Ring
Purpose = To make me avoid being hit or targeted
Theme = Fear

I am willing to take suggestions. I though either an item which creates fear in enemies as a reaction to being attacked. Or maybe creates defenses if she curles herself up.

Assuming you want something in power level:

Ghost ring- a ring to which a spirit is bound.

+1 to ac while attuned. Ghostly whispers on the edge of hearing keep you on edge and twitchy, but seem to help you avoid danger.

Consumed by fear: As an action you may admit a fear you do not wish to face to the ghost of the ring. Your speed becomes 0 and you become invisible. All other creatures become invisible to you. While invisible you may not take any actions. As a bonus action you may resolve to face your fears, becoming visible and regaining your normal speed. When this feature is used, it may not be used again until after the next sunset. If you refuse to face your fears, you risk being consumed by them. For each full minute spent invisible, you take 1d6 unresistable psychic damage, increasing by 1d6 for every minute.

The pact: As a reaction to being targetted by a spell, attack or ability you may let the ghost of the ring keep you safe. You take 1d4 unresistable psychic damage, and teleport 20 feet away from your current location. Once used this feature may not be used again until after the next sunset.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

You're aware of Open Hand Monks from the PHB, right? They basically turn Flurry into a versatile maneuver. Not terribly exciting, but probably one of the strongest archetypes, considering how blah most of the Monk ones ultimately are. A cool, fluffy thing a cool DM could give an Open Hand Monk would be the opportunity to learn new Flurry effects from ancient martial arts scrolls or eccentric NPC masters.

None of which has much to do with grappling. But you could pretty easily create a move for them that initiates a grab. 5E doesn't do much with grappling as a concept in general, for good or ill (I think there's justifiable arguments for the former, even if it is an obvious design space for Monks).

Baku fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 7, 2020

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Related, but not entirely, to that last post I made: I kind of hate the Monk class as a concept, dating back to at least 3E. Some people hate Rangers or Rogues as a concept, I hate the Monk.

It feels like a stupid grognard workaround to unarmed combat against dragons and guys in plate armor or Wuxia movement bullshit being "unrealistic", and therefore forbidden to other martial classes (despite the fact that Rangers, Paladins, and Barbarians all have magic powers baked into their fundamental design). "Rolling a bunch of different attack rolls that then have to have individual damage rolls" is an annoying core design feature. They're a hodgepodge of weird features that do nothing to dissuade the notion that they're an awkward Orientalist cliche.

One of my hopes for a theoretical next edition is that they axe the Monk and just roll the things that are worth saving about it (mobile combatants and Wuxia bullshit are fun, unarmed and unarmored combat should be options people can take, etc) into archetypes or feature choices for other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any ideas for a character concept for an abjuration wizard PC? As I see it, that's three things ((a) a magic nerd, (b) a specialist in wards, shields, and exorcisms, and (c) a travelling adventurer for hire), and I'm trying to figure out how all three fit together into a strong, coherent character with particular drives. In particular, how would be best to marry the scientific curiosity of a wizard with a school based around excluding, rejecting and ejecting outside forces?

Incidentally, I had a pretty fun concept for a chaotic neutral warforged samurai, as the orphaned creation of an eccentric swordmaster that views itself as a participatory art project designed to beautify combat.