Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

taqueso posted:

why use an angle grinder when a die grinder spins twice as fast?

Also, it says "die" right in the name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

taqueso posted:

why use an angle grinder when a die grinder spins twice as fast?

JEEVES420 posted:

Which is not limited to hurr horror freight. 3M, Norton, etc all use dangerous (including asbestos) material in their abrasives. Read the data sheets and wear a proper mask. Don't think because you bought a "name brand" it's any safer to breathe. Worry about cheap discs exploding instead.

I mean, silicosis is a very real thing, and silica in all sandpaper and every grinding wheel I’ve over heard of.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not a big tool man but I've done quite a bit of pottery and stone dust is no joke. Wear a respirator if you are grinding things or you will gently caress up your lungs in permanent ways!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also, it says "die" right in the name!

But "Die" is German for "The" is it not?

Or was sideshow bob lying about his tattoo?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

But "Die" is German for "The" is it not?

Or was sideshow bob lying about his tattoo?

It means "that" in Dutch. You know, THAT grinder.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

canyoneer posted:

I still like my solution best.

When I was chopping up my chain link fence top rails for bulk pickup, I realized that it was quicker, easier, and with marginally less disc explodey to just zip the metal poles apart with a sawzall

The right tool for the tool behind the tool

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

OSU_Matthew posted:

When I was chopping up my chain link fence top rails for bulk pickup, I realized that it was quicker, easier, and with marginally less disc explodey to just zip the metal poles apart with a sawzall

The right tool for the tool behind the tool

I also found that an oscillating tool zipped right through galvanized corrugated steel roofing material so I didn't have to use The Scary Tool

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Portable band saw, yo.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I think it was said when discussing the relative dangers of a band saw versus a table saw versus a router, but while oscillating/sliding tools will mess you up pretty badly if you aren't careful, anything involving spinny bits at high speed is actively seeking your blood in the most painful way it can manage.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of spinny bits that are fun to stick your booger hooks into, I had an electric lawnmower question.

I’ve rebuilt the ancient 10$ yard sale mower often enough I think it’s rapidly approaching deathification. For my postage stamp lot, an electric mower would be absolutely perfect, and battery tools never cease to amaze me.

Since I’m heavily invested in the Makita 18v ecosystem, should I get the Makita battery mower, or should I go with the wirecutter Ego Power+ recommendation? I suspect the ego is better, but I’ve already got a permanent commitment to Makita batteries.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you already have the batteries and a small lawn just get the Makita. Not having multiple battery charging stations is nice. Do Makita do a multi-battery charger?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

my 40v mower whips rear end, but bogs down if I've let the grass get more than like 3 inches high, I can't imagine how easily an 18v mower would stall out

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Heh, my poo poo gas one bogs down too. Maybe because it's my dad's old one and it hasn't been serviced since 2003

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

cakesmith handyman posted:

If you already have the batteries and a small lawn just get the Makita. Not having multiple battery charging stations is nice. Do Makita do a multi-battery charger?

Yup! I got one along with several 5 amp hour packs with the chainsaw. That’s kinda what I was thinking, since the battery is pretty much the long term failure mode.

Sockser posted:

my 40v mower whips rear end, but bogs down if I've let the grass get more than like 3 inches high, I can't imagine how easily an 18v mower would stall out

It’s 36v, so same as your 40v. Looks like there’s a new brushless model since I last looked at them that seems to have pretty good reviews. That might be the ticket, if not complete overkill.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Depending on how small the lawn is, the Ego mower might be overkill, but it is cheaper than the linked Makita, and is self propelled.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-mowers/push-mowers/7006686

Also available at Home Depot. That is the newly redesigned model. The older model is still available for $100 less. The 7.5Ah Ego batteries are really great, in that I can run my mower for over an hour, and they charge in about an hour on the included fast charger. One nice feature for me is that my garage is prettt tight, and the Ego mower handle folds over and allows the mower to be stored vertically in a very small footprint.

As for the mower itself, the mulching is good, but not great. If the grass is wet or really long, it won’t mulch as well, and will leave trails of grass on one side of the mower. At that point I usually just raise the deck a notch and it mulches the grass better. The self propel function is easily adjustable from a crawl, up to moving at a brisk walk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it normal to want to use power tools for no reason? Since I got the Fakita impact driver, I just want to squeeze the trigger and hear it go brrr whenever I walk into the room and see it on the shelf.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it normal to want to use power tools for no reason? Since I got the Fakita impact driver, I just want to squeeze the trigger and hear it go brrr whenever I walk into the room and see it on the shelf.

Not only is it normal it is mandatory.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

mobby_6kl posted:

You should never get into firearms :downsgun:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nope. Everybody just wants to play with their new toys.

On that note, I just bought a chainsaw yesterday so I'm in the same boat.

I've been casually looking around and missed on a few great used saws for ridiculously cheap. I found one yesterday (a Husqvarna 440e) owned by an older couple that had been used once with the original receipt with an ammo can full of stuff like extra spark plugs, wrenches, a few plastic wedges, several bottles of Stihl and amsoil premix, screw drivers, files etc. They even threw in a gallon of bar oil, a half gallon of amsoil bar oil, an awesome metal mini greaser and tube of grease, extra files, an awesome vintage orange metal Washington DNR logging helmet, you name it. Super nice couple and we were chatting for about an hour. The saw is basically new. The logos on the bar are still perfect. They had a small tree round set up so I could try it out. It's a little smaller than I was looking for but given my uses, it should be fine.

I didn't even feel comfortable offering them less than asking. I got a deal. In my experience buying used things from people, I'll almost always prefer to buy from older folks.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

haha impact driver go brrrr

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9DvZH_Wgg

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

mobby_6kl posted:

Get a brad nailer. Then you will find that many random pieces of wood are just begging you to be nailed together. Not for any particular reason, it just wants to be with it’s buddy forever. And go ahead and use like 15-20 brads even though 3 will do the job, they love that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Elysium posted:

Get a brad nailer. Then you will find that many random pieces of wood are just begging you to be nailed together. Not for any particular reason, it just wants to be with it’s buddy forever. And go ahead and use like 15-20 brads even though 3 will do the job, they love that.
Pfffft...sssss. Pffffft...ssssss. Pfffft...sssss.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

haha impact driver go brrrr
That's exactly how I feel.

Elysium posted:

Seems like that would be very irresponsible.

I'll look into it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Orvin posted:

Depending on how small the lawn is, the Ego mower might be overkill, but it is cheaper than the linked Makita, and is self propelled.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/lawn-mowers/push-mowers/7006686

Also available at Home Depot. That is the newly redesigned model. The older model is still available for $100 less. The 7.5Ah Ego batteries are really great, in that I can run my mower for over an hour, and they charge in about an hour on the included fast charger. One nice feature for me is that my garage is prettt tight, and the Ego mower handle folds over and allows the mower to be stored vertically in a very small footprint.

As for the mower itself, the mulching is good, but not great. If the grass is wet or really long, it won’t mulch as well, and will leave trails of grass on one side of the mower. At that point I usually just raise the deck a notch and it mulches the grass better. The self propel function is easily adjustable from a crawl, up to moving at a brisk walk.

The Makita is also self propelled, but I don’t really need it as my lawn is stupid small. I had an older honda self propelled and it was such a pain in the rear end to turn around all my obstacles like the garden and firepit, that I wound up going back to my ancient craftsman yard sale find. That being said, I really like the folding handle and upright storage on the ego, since the makita is built to be a one piece solid frame and tossed in a truck. Is the new brushless version much better than the clearances brushed one on sale for 500 atm? Also seeing the Lowe’s 80v brushless for a hair cheaper as well.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

OSU_Matthew posted:

The Makita is also self propelled, but I don’t really need it as my lawn is stupid small. I had an older honda self propelled and it was such a pain in the rear end to turn around all my obstacles like the garden and firepit, that I wound up going back to my ancient craftsman yard sale find. That being said, I really like the folding handle and upright storage on the ego, since the makita is built to be a one piece solid frame and tossed in a truck. Is the new brushless version much better than the clearances brushed one on sale for 500 atm? Also seeing the Lowe’s 80v brushless for a hair cheaper as well.

I snagged a like-new self-propelled mower a few weeks ago for $30, just needed some tweaks, but now I'm feeling this. My yard isn't so small, but ffs there's places under trees and corners you want to pull back and what a stupid *falls backward out of chair foaming at the mouth*

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I never had a gas self propelled mower, but the Ego self propelled is really maneuverable when you release the self propelled function. Under power it doesn’t turn great, but when not under power, it is just like my old unpropelled gas mower. Probably due to the fact that there is a separate motor for the wheels.

I have no idea if the new revisions to the ego mower are worth the extra cost. The one video I watched did seem to be that there are some good improvements. It looks to be able to be controlled better by either hand now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All of the self-propelled mowers I've used in the past have had a throttle lever that you had to take your hand off the main handle to operate

My Ryobi self-propelled just has a trigger on the main handle to engage the drive or not, and it works great, I can disengage it for two seconds while I turn around, or if I'm on the dumb spot of my property with a lovely little weed hill on a corner, I can drive it up, release, and let it roll back down to me

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do you know if it's possible to use these nails
https://www.toolstation.com/clad-tite-removable-collated-nail/p77074?table=no

In one of these nailguns?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820LWNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032JTDQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If not, is there another similar air-powered nailgun I could get to do the job?

Edit: now I think about it I remember why I didn't go for nailguns the first time round; I need to overdrill by 2mm which I'm guessing would be a nightmare to shoot nails into afterwards.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 12, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do you know if it's possible to use these nails
https://www.toolstation.com/clad-tite-removable-collated-nail/p77074?table=no

In one of these nailguns?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820LWNO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032JTDQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If not, is there another similar air-powered nailgun I could get to do the job?

Edit: now I think about it I remember why I didn't go for nailguns the first time round; I need to overdrill by 2mm which I'm guessing would be a nightmare to shoot nails into afterwards.

No, those nails are designed for a framing nailer I believe.

https://smile.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-F21PL-Positive-Placement-Magnesium/dp/B000A79HWA/ref=sr_1_3

The nailers you posted are finish nailers.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Yeah those are designed for a framing nailer, specifically a clipped-head one.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ROJO posted:

Yeah those are designed for a framing nailer, specifically a clipped-head one.

Clip-head framing nails are against code in a lot of areas now, they want full head nails, which means getting a different gun.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Mambold posted:

I snagged a like-new self-propelled mower a few weeks ago for $30, just needed some tweaks, but now I'm feeling this. My yard isn't so small, but ffs there's places under trees and corners you want to pull back and what a stupid *falls backward out of chair foaming at the mouth*

My problem was that the mower itself weighs a hundred pounds to start with, and then I’m leaning over uncomfortably since the bar isn’t adjustable and I’m stupidly tall, so leaning over and continuously heaving it around to pull it back and turn it just sucked. Whereas the older craftsman non self propelled weighs probably a third as much and has a higher bar, just so much less effort and back pain to do the whole yard

gently caress I’m getting old :(

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Clip-head framing nails are against code in a lot of areas now, they want full head nails, which means getting a different gun.

I did not know this. What's the reasoning? Is the wire thinner on a clipped head?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Mr. Mambold posted:

I did not know this. What's the reasoning? Is the wire thinner on a clipped head?

The clipped head tends to be a weaker nail, all else being equal. I know they're against code for shingles and some other stuff like siding where the nail head is the thing holding poo poo together.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, I should have mentioned that is at least true in most (if not all) of the US, not sure about the UK though (where the original link seems to indicate the nails are being purchased).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ROJO posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that is at least true in most (if not all) of the US, not sure about the UK though (where the original link seems to indicate the nails are being purchased).

Yes, so. I don't know if they're technically clipped head. They have a full screw head on them (they're nails that can be unscrewed), but offset.

As for code, it's nigh on impossible to google anything about cladding regulations in the UK since the Grenfell fire, so I scooted through the Approved Documents, and they're pretty vague about what's required for fixings. Mostly they're concerned more about redundancy of fixing and such, and I don't think any of it is going to apply much for a single storey (which is what I have cladded).

They do reference a couple of standards and "best practices" but of course they're all £100 each or more so I'm not doing that.

The fixings in question are approved by the Timber Decking and Cladding Association which is a non profit advisory board, so I'm going to vote "good enough for me".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

There’s less head to resist pullout iirc. I think code-wise it’s a bigger deal in hurricane prone areas, but maybe it’s been adopted more nationally now.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The clipped head tends to be a weaker nail, all else being equal. I know they're against code for shingles and some other stuff like siding where the nail head is the thing holding poo poo together.

I never even considered someone would be so dumbass to use cliphead nails shingling. I always thought that coil nailers were the standard for that and you could only get coils in full-head style. Siding totally makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I'm sticking 3 screwnails per (and in addition to) 1 nail that's already in there and has been holding it on mostly well enough for a year, so I'm OK with that. Roof stuff I leave to others.