Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Verisimilidude posted:

There's something to be said about using and buying cheap brushes. You really shouldn't use good brushes on things like washes and metallic paints, so having a few cheap brushes like something out of a kit is useful. I'm currently using the Army Painter regiment brush as my go-to all around brush for base coating, washes, metallics, etc and it's fine. It came out of the Army Painter mega paint set. I'm also using a cheap $3 brush I got from my FLGS as my go-to detail and highlighting brush, since it just works and comes to a nice point.

Yep, I'm always banging the "Buy cheap brushes, then use 'em like you stole 'em" drum. The super cheapo citadel starter brush that came on the front of a magazine (a friend knew I was getting back into painting and picked me up the first issue of one of the partwork magazines, had 3 marines, black and blue paint and the brush) lasted me a year as a perfectly servicable basecoat brush. It lost any semblance of a point, now its a wash brush and occasional drybrush. I'm actually not sure if I've ever thrown a paintbrush out, they just get downgraded in what tasks they get used for. Bottom of the heap being the brushes I use for PVA.

The rest of the tin 'o brushes on my painting desk are a couple of army painter brushes (honestly if you are starting out I reckon you only need 2 brushes, 3 if you want a dedicated drybrush, and you can do worse than an army painter regiment and detail brush, they wont break the bank and are decent enough. Their drybrush is trash though, bristles way way too stiff for my taste.), a few "chiltern arts" brushes with super soft bristles for drybrushing that I think I picked up in a "gits and novelties" shop that was going out of business, and a whole mess of cheap brushes that I got off wish.com. And a makeup brush for drybrushing big models or terrain. Actual terrain painting gets done with the cheapest brushes I can find because there is no way in hell I'm stippling wall filler, sand and house paints with a brush I give half a crap about.

I think particularly when you are starting out you should be using cheap brushes. Then when you mess it up by not cleaning it thoroughly enough or whatever its not a big deal. Once you have a bit more experience you can buy better brushes if you want, or continue to use cheap but serviceable brushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

most minipainting youtubers swear by dollar-store makeup brushes for drybrushing

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I really want a pair of those Xuron 2175ET's but finding them in Canada is hard. There's a store in Toronto that has them but I with the shipping it becomes ehhhh

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I really want a pair of those Xuron 2175ET's but finding them in Canada is hard. There's a store in Toronto that has them but I with the shipping it becomes ehhhh

$52.86 on Amazon.ca vs. $16.85 on Amazon.com - holy price difference

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

jesus WEP posted:

most minipainting youtubers swear by dollar-store makeup brushes for drybrushing

Yup! My girlfriend gave me a few cheapy makeup brushes. makeup brushes for faces/eyes tend to be very soft and thus very good for subtle dry brushing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Another gift from the makeup world: aromatherapy cases are perfect for holding paints and are cheap.

That's not my discovery, someone here mentioned it but I don't remember who?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Man, I hate painting black.

Got some work done on my Emperor's Champion last night. Based the sword off this image in the new core rulebook.

that's sick!

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Any tips for bringing old paints back to life?

I picked up a nail polish bottle shaker/agitator and some hematite beads. Was thinking trying a couple drops of water and maybe a couple of drops of flow improver or the like then shake the poo poo out of them.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finished up my Bladeguard Suzerains:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That green against the blue is really nice, love it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

jesus WEP posted:

As well as the brush being crap at least 1 and maybe 2 of the paints were unusable from when I got them. Although they weren’t in that set listed - it was the older white (ceramite?) and the rakarth flesh.

Ceramite was always gritty bullshit, no such thing as a good pot.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Yeah why do all the GW whites/ light Grey's I have turn in to thootpaste within a week?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Very clean, kickass job dude. Love the lightning and gradient on the swords too. Did you use a regular brush for the blending?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

tangy yet delightful posted:

That green against the blue is really nice, love it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Very clean, kickass job dude. Love the lightning and gradient on the swords too. Did you use a regular brush for the blending?

Thanks dudes. Yeah I don't have an airbrush so the sword gradients were just built up with many many thin layers with a regular brush.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

$52.86 on Amazon.ca vs. $16.85 on Amazon.com - holy price difference

That 52 is a 3rd party seller (from the UK!) But the Canadian store I found had it for 30, with 10 bucks shipping. Still ehhh

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Your Ultramarines always look so fantastic. Nice work!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

BaronVanAwesome posted:

That 52 is a 3rd party seller (from the UK!) But the Canadian store I found had it for 30, with 10 bucks shipping. Still ehhh

Would you have to pay any import taxes from the US? Perhaps you could have a US friend buy it and ship for cheaper?

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Would you have to pay any import taxes from the US? Perhaps you could have a US friend buy it and ship for cheaper?

I gave up and just got it from the Canadian store but added some junk that I didn't NEED (heh) to get the free shipping.

The clippers I've been using have been very old, very dull Army Painter ones (that honestly were great for a long time) but these new ones seem cool

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does anyone have any tips for preventing air leaking on a Badger 105 airbrush? I can't seem to get rid of a small leak at the tip assembly. From Googling it seems to be fairly common. It's at the head cap, the piece that the nozzle fits in to. I took it apart to clean it, and it stopped for a while, but not he leak is back. Maybe it's not a big deal and I can ignore it, I don't know.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Funzo posted:

Does anyone have any tips for preventing air leaking on a Badger 105 airbrush? I can't seem to get rid of a small leak at the tip assembly. From Googling it seems to be fairly common. It's at the head cap, the piece that the nozzle fits in to. I took it apart to clean it, and it stopped for a while, but not he leak is back. Maybe it's not a big deal and I can ignore it, I don't know.

If it's leaking near a screw-on connection, put a little chap-stick on the threads. Seals it right up.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sigh. Got my replacement regulator from the post office today... And now I can't get the original one off the loving compressor. Chatted with tech support online and they suggested using a heat gun to loosen the sealant the OEM puts in there, which I've done but that hasn't really helped and now the nut keeping it on is starting to get stripped. I realize this is all my fault for loving it up in the first place, but goddamn I'm starting to get really frustrated and regretting buying some cheap chinese kit instead of paying more and piece-mealing it all out like I was originally going to.

I just want to be able to paint my dudes, my dudes :(

fake edit: Contacted their tech support a second time, via phone this time, and they're just gonna RMA the whole unit :confused: OK I guess. Note to self just don't be retarded next time.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

If I were to get something like this - with the caveat that it's solely to get into painting the minis because the paints + the models seem like a good value (no commenting on if it's a good value within the context of playing the WH40K game)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/sm-Paint-Set-Eng-spa-port-latv-rom-2018

WOULD that be a good value, and would I be able to get more models later and have leftover paint to use? Those pots look smaller than the normal Citadel pots, but I can't tell. Can I just buy some highlight colors later to do some highlighting to go from battle ready to parade ready or whatever?

You can get The Army Painter's Mega Paint Set for $90 shipped on ebay. Comes with 43 regular paints, 2 technical paints and 5 washes plus a brush.

Schadenboner posted:

Another gift from the makeup world: aromatherapy cases are perfect for holding paints and are cheap.

That's not my discovery, someone here mentioned it but I don't remember who?

Another makeup item that works great for minis is dollar store eyeshadow. It's literally just pigment powder. gently caress paying MIG or Vallejo prices, go to Dollar Tree and tart up your vehicles with soot/dust/snow/dirt/rust effects from the makeup aisle.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 5, 2020

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Silhouette posted:

Another makeup item that works great for minis is dollar store eyeshadow. It's literally just pigment powder. gently caress paying MIG or Vallejo prices, go to Dollar Tree and tart up your vehicles with soot/dust/snow/dirt/rust effects from the makeup aisle.

This is a great tip, especially if you're looking for a pigment color that isn't in the earthtone spectrum. Just today I was looking around Amazon for purple pigment colors for the bases on my necrons, so I'll definitely be checking out my dollar store before paying $20 for a tub of pigment I'll probably only use a tiny portion of.

Here are the necrons in question:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Silhouette posted:

You can get The Army Painter's Mega Paint Set for $90 shipped on ebay. Comes with 43 regular paints, 2 technical paints and 5 washes plus a brush.

drat that's a great idea, thank you.

Instead of buying the $30 models + paint, I saw a $20 pack of 10 models and thought "oh what a great deal" but then ended up spending $60 on paints after that and then $25 on some new cement and snips and primer

...such a better value :negative:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bruh, you can get clippers at the dollar tree makeup aisle too, they're sold as cuticle clippers :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Silhouette posted:

Bruh, you can get clippers at the dollar tree makeup aisle too, they're sold as cuticle clippers :v:

Nah don't worry the clippers were like $5, I'm not sweating that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

While you're there pick up some floral wire, decorative stones, colored sand, and Mod Podge!

Dollar Tree is like a hobby store just for basing material.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Everyone should own a tub of Mod Podge, it rules

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Super 3 posted:

Any tips for bringing old paints back to life?

I picked up a nail polish bottle shaker/agitator and some hematite beads. Was thinking trying a couple drops of water and maybe a couple of drops of flow improver or the like then shake the poo poo out of them.

Probably best to use de-ionised/destilled water, 1:1 with flow improver, swill it around with the handle of an old brush or something, and then shake it a bunch.

I had some success with this, but without the bottle shaker.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

jesus WEP posted:

Honestly theyre not wrong

Finally started on my armiger, very WIP

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's a great job so far but even mediocre IK stuff is so god drat impressive, I love it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got a Tamiya pin vise to replace the creaky, wobbly $10 thing I got off Amazon and some real drill bits and this thing feels so good I just wanna pole holes in every plastic model I can find. Probably not worth it but it's real nice to use

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What drill bits did you buy? My cheap ones were getting on my nerves a few nights ago.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got an AK Interactive rebrand pack of drill bits due to laziness and also padding out to get the free delivery quota and promptly dropped the 0.3mm on the floor when opening it up, never to be seen again

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

I also did a file for the Rattler, but at BattleTech scale with all its bombs and missiles it comes out to $31 per Rattler which, uh... :gonk:

Well, I can see why now. Even at 6mm scale, the Rattler is gigantic. No wonder they get shot down so much.

If only the printer hadn't beaten the water-washable UV Resin here. I could be painting a couple of tiny planes right now!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Apropos of nothing, I think Dana Howl is my favourite mini painting youtuber. She’s certainly the only one who’s “funny” who’s actually funny. Sorry Miniac.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

jesus WEP posted:

Apropos of nothing, I think Dana Howl is my favourite mini painting youtuber. She’s certainly the only one who’s “funny” who’s actually funny. Sorry Miniac.

Lol glad I'm not the only one who finds Miniac not funny at all. It makes me not watch his videos!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I like his content a lot apart from the humour, I just skip the cringey metal intro and outro and suffer through upside down glasses dumb question dude

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Yeah Dana Howl is great, although sometimes I get a little freaked out by the long, super close-ups. I'm not sure if she does it often but in the recent 40k video there was like 1 minute ultra closeup when she was talking about how it's not bad to like spacemarines in and of itself, but also hey they are white burly dudes so how about some representation (which is a good take, btw). It gives me that same vibe you get when someone maintains eye contact for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

I really like her Instagram account, but haven't had a chance to follow her Youtube channel.