Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Talking about the old meaning of the word awesome here at Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Bitchin' Magneto.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Bitchin' Magneto.

*extremely Bill and Ted voice*
He's a radical mutant terrorist.
*plays air guitar*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spider-Man has one of those power sets which isn't as impressive on paper as "is an omega level god who had the super soldier serum injected directly into his eyeballs so they shoot super punches now" but he has a powerset which basically amounts to "can win." He's a genius, precognitive, and has just the right mix of super strength, super speed, super agility and overall super everything that he can be the underdog but still plausibly come out on top.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think the biggest question about Spider-Man's powers is wether or not he can swing from a thread.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I think the biggest question about Spider-Man's powers is wether or not he can swing from a thread.

Take a look overhead!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Goddamn, that game still looks ridiculously good.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

Spider-Man has one of those power sets which isn't as impressive on paper as "is an omega level god who had the super soldier serum injected directly into his eyeballs so they shoot super punches now" but he has a powerset which basically amounts to "can win." He's a genius, precognitive, and has just the right mix of super strength, super speed, super agility and overall super everything that he can be the underdog but still plausibly come out on top.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This is your annual reminder that Miles Morales canonically saved the multiverse by hiding a cheeseburger in his spider-pants for a week.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

An eight year, three-week-old hamburger.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Was Jughead involved somehow?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Toshimo posted:

This is your annual reminder that Miles Morales canonically saved the multiverse by hiding a cheeseburger in his spider-pants for a week.

that still makes me so angry - at least draw a backpack instead of pretending a burger is going to fit anywhere inside a spandex suit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snackmar posted:

that still makes me so angry - at least draw a backpack instead of pretending a burger is going to fit anywhere inside a spandex suit

Unstable molecules dude.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You can't tell because he replaced it with a ball of webbing when you weren't looking, but the burger was his crotch bulge.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This was always my preferred Spider-man hamburger panel.

Snackmar posted:

Jonathan Hickman is a hack, I tell you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man Unlimited #4 (1994)

Friendly neighborhood Spider-Van

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Spider-Man is the embodiment of Neo needing to be reminded by Morpheus that the only thing holding him back is his preconceptions. I think Ultimate Spider-Man touches on this, when USM realizes he's just a super-agile guy hopping around, and goes looking for fight training. Ultimate Shang Chi, I think, can't be bothered, and Ultimate Nick Fury basically tells him 'once you turn 18, you're getting drafted into the military, no ifs, ands or buts, so go enjoy being human while you can, because we are absolutely going to turn you into something you don't want to be.'

Isn't he also canonically the second-strongest Marvel hero, second only to Hulk? Can bench-press 80 tons, if I recall my old 80s Marvel Who's Who comics. ISTR Cap, at the time, being a 'peak human performance' who could bench a whopping 650 pounds.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #7 (1941)

The Green Mask #2 (1945)

Journey into Mystery #16 (1954)

Weird Mystery Tales #20 (1975)

The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe #11 (1983)

Legend of the Shield Annual #1 (1992)

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TheCenturion posted:

Isn't he also canonically the second-strongest Marvel hero, second only to Hulk? Can bench-press 80 tons, if I recall my old 80s Marvel Who's Who comics. ISTR Cap, at the time, being a 'peak human performance' who could bench a whopping 650 pounds.

He’s not even close, just off the top of my head Colossus, Ben Grimm, and Captain Marvel have him beat by a mile. Spidey is more around the ten ton mark IIRC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Nah, Thor, Silver Surfer, Thing and probably Namor were all supposed to be stronger than him from the get go, just going off characters created around the same time (well, even earlier for Namor).

Here's a Marvel created strength tier list from I'm guessing the late 70s

Bonus, I think it's funny, so it's also on topic. Check the editor's note at the bottom, the only one I can't name is the hooded dude between Daredevil and Wolverine.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Is it the Shroud?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Darthemed posted:

Journey into Mystery #16 (1954)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d696t3yALAY&t=41s

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Is it the Shroud?

Yeah, you can tell from the weird black symbol on the front of his cowl.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I never understood how his force field works either.

Half circle forward + kick.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Darthemed posted:

The Green Mask #2 (1945)

If you told me this was an indie from the late 80's-early 90's I'd believe you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Bitchin' Magneto.

Bitchin' Magneto! Bitchin' Magneto!
Terrorized my neighbors!
Now in all the papers!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Well uh, rumor round town says you might be thinkin' about goin' down to Krakoa.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Vincent posted:

If you told me this was an indie from the late 80's-early 90's I'd believe you.

Reminds me of Angelcatbird, which Atwood said was inspired by the batshit insane comics of her youth.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Does someone have panels from that? I heard it was really strange.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I mean, kinda, but also kinda no? If they're renowned horsemen they probably see people trampled on the regular. Horses are known for bolting and being skittish, and hordes probably see people falling off and getting trampled anytime they go raiding .

I do love that face though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will say getting trampled to death by a horse would put a serious damper on my mood.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Dying is certainly very discouraging.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

And that’s how the Vailent comic company got started.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lurdiak posted:

I think if anything Spidey used to be stronger. I can't imagine him taking on the entire X-men or FF anymore.

I dunno man, remember when Ock first took over Peter's body and didn't pull his punches and knocked Scorpion's jaw clean off of his body

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Giant Days - Early Registration

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Book of Days is a banger Susan and you know it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Terrorized my neighbors!
Now in all the papers!

I appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

How Wonderful! posted:

Well uh, rumor round town says you might be thinkin' about goin' down to Krakoa.

My folks drove Xaviers limo here from Krakoa