Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, X-Factor was the book I was waiting for since the Hickman status quo began. Krakoa already feels ten times more lived-in. I'm hoping her Blob gets some more page-time since the relationship between him and Betsy was one of my favorite parts of any comic last year, but she really wrote the hell out of everybody. I can even live with her take on Daken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
X-Factor's a really good fit for Williams, especially now, but I hope afterwards she's given some other books, I always wanted to see her take on an A-Force style line-up following Fearless, but I guess that's not a property Marvel's inclined to touch anytime soon.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I feel like she's in that stage where a big breakout hit is just percolating. She's done a bunch of well regarded mini-series and some niche/B-lister stuff, hopefully doing an X-title in the middle of a very visible and popular revamp will raise her profile even more. I love almost everything she's done.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, she feels like one of those people that's just about to happen for sure.

When Aaron finally runs out of stupid ideas, there's going to be a lot of talent Marvel can turn to to hand The Avengers off to someone, which is fun.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Deadpool #6 was a lot of fun, as I live for Emma Frost and the other X-Men reacting to Jeff. Kelly Thompson poking some loving fun at the X-Men was great too - her Deadpool run has really found it's stride, and Libranda's art shone.

Also, I was unready for how much Empyre: X-Men #2 escalated, and it ruled. Magik has no time for fuckery, so of course she's the Mutant who is a match for Hordeculture.

Also, this line from Black Tom slayed me: "Aye, ye bloody himbo!" :allears:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it should really stop surprising me when a mutant villain shows up on krakoa, but really? the shadow king?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it should really stop surprising me when a mutant villain shows up on krakoa, but really? the shadow king?

Yeah, that's one of those 'you know, maybe they're better off deceased.'

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That feels like a propaganda res because if they bring him back they can say they really will give anyone a chance. Although, also, it feels like it's hard to do the Sabertooth to that guy if he gets out of hand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Re: Cable 2

I know the cuckoos were eventually revealed to be Emma clones or something similar, but had any of them used the diamond body trick before?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

They did it in Warsong.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rick posted:

That feels like a propaganda res because if they bring him back they can say they really will give anyone a chance. Although, also, it feels like it's hard to do the Sabertooth to that guy if he gets out of hand.

The Shadow King's horrible, but I think we've already seen people as bad strolling around Krakoa. Selene's whole shtick is sucking the life force out of teenage sacrifices, Apocalypse once employed a dude named Holocaust, etc.

The Shadow King's just extra creepy. Does his evil stuff while turning you into a rubber gimp and having spider legs. Apocalypse at least obfuscates the petty banality of his evil by having a sleek visual design, and transforms his unwilling minions into similarly stylish forms.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't Shadow King like one of the hardest mutants to permanently kill too? If they need to imprison him, how the hell are they going to actually do it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm surprised they haven't decided The Beyonder and Demon Bear are mutants and invited them to the island, given how many PTSD triggers they have walking around for the New Mutants crew.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gologle posted:

Isn't Shadow King like one of the hardest mutants to permanently kill too? If they need to imprison him, how the hell are they going to actually do it?

Yeah, he's established as being a telepath able to rival and exceed Xavier. I would imagine Jean, Emma and Charles have some kind of contingency set up so they can overpower him together if they need to, but unsupervised Amahl could get up to a lot of horseplay on Krakoa in a way that a direct threat like Apocalypse probably couldn't.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I definitely think "what do you do when a Krakoan citizen starts preying on other citizens?" is a question that arises naturally from the, "all of the X-Men's most heinous mutant villains have citizenship and it's fine, they're fine now" setup, and (from the books I've read) doesn't seem to have really come up yet, barring some of the subterfuge in Marauders.

Like, killing mutants isn't as big a deal any more, but people like the Shadow King can do way worse than kill you, and in fact that's their preferred mode of operation. Same with Mister Sinister, although he's less subtle and less powerful. Does someone who starts hurting other mutants go in the Sabretooth hole? What if they start hurting Sabretooth, or other prisoners, down there? Is that even possible, or are they all in indefinitely extended solitary confinement?

I'm enjoying the Krakoa status quo but the answers to some of these criminal justice questions seem pressing, and would be interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, he's established as being a telepath able to rival and exceed Xavier. I would imagine Jean, Emma and Charles have some kind of contingency set up so they can overpower him together if they need to, but unsupervised Amahl could get up to a lot of horseplay on Krakoa in a way that a direct threat like Apocalypse probably couldn't.

Both Jean Grey and Quentin Quire are listed as Omega level telepaths in House of X #1, Charles Xavier and the Shadow King are not on that list.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jean and Emma could probably outmatch Amahl individually. Quentin has raw power, but he's also a clumsy goon, so I think that would depend on whether he was taken by surprise or not.

The real problem would be the Shadow King subtly using his powers on non-psychic mutants, people who weren't close to the major telepaths, to transform them into thralls without anyone noticing. This kind of subterfuge is apparently possible on Krakoa, since it isn't a telepathic surveillance state - otherwise (Marauders) Sebastian Shaw wouldn't have been able to have Kitty Pryde assassinated.

And the Shadow King is consistently established as being a subtle manipulator who can warp your perception of reality, send you into inescapable dream realms, spread his consciousness like a memetic virus, etc. Unless you kept constant tabs on him it would be hard to be sure that he wasn't doing that to like, Bling and Shark Girl while Jean Grey was hanging out on the moon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think it's a sort of weird version of mutually assured direction, because you also have a bunch of reality manipulators, energy manipulators, mutant power manipulators, etc. hanging out together. Like yeah, Shadow king subtly manipulating Jamie Braddock or Vulcan is terrifying for Krakoa as a nation state, but they're also both loving lunatics who are quick to react when they feel slighted, so them catching on that they're being subtly manipulated has to be terrifying to the Shadow King.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Android Blues posted:

The Shadow King's horrible, but I think we've already seen people as bad strolling around Krakoa. Selene's whole shtick is sucking the life force out of teenage sacrifices, Apocalypse once employed a dude named Holocaust, etc.

The Shadow King's just extra creepy. Does his evil stuff while turning you into a rubber gimp and having spider legs. Apocalypse at least obfuscates the petty banality of his evil by having a sleek visual design, and transforms his unwilling minions into similarly stylish forms.

The funny thing though due to the 90s I'm much more willing to accept the premise of Apocalypse as flyin' on the side o' the angels and in at least in what we've seen on screen Selene's brought back to life more named characters than she's killed. Shadow King is the scariest of the bunch to me easy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

In Selene's case, she gets fed blank mutant clones or something like that. She doesn't have to prey on mutants anymore.

There's a long list of threats to Krakoa from within, and it's going to be interesting to see how those dominoes fall.

Reading Giant Size Fantomex, I forgot that some of these one shots have an overarching story. There's a Storm issue coming soon to wrap up her plot from the Jean Grey/Emma Frost one. The art was great in the Fantomex issue, and the story was appropriately weird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I loved the Howling Commandos making fun of Fantomax's accent.

Also isn't The World where Wolverine (the better one), Darwin and Synch disappeared a month ago and 20 million years of their subjective time ago in X-Men 5?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I loved the Howling Commandos making fun of Fantomax's accent.

Also isn't The World where Wolverine (the better one), Darwin and Synch disappeared a month ago and 20 million years of their subjective time ago in X-Men 5?

The World was the Weapon Plus facility from New X-Men, I think Cyclops or someone just says the time field thing is like what The World could do. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think they're the same place. The newer version has just changed somewhat because the time dilation means it's continually evolving. I think?

Definitely could be wrong. That wasn't my favourite issue.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's been a while since I read it, I'm probably completely wrong.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That was the Vault, from Mike Carey's run. The two might be connected in some way, but I'm pretty sure they're separate things.

Here we go, from X-Men #5:

I think it's explicitly supposed to be quite similar to the World and an offshoot of the Weapon Plus program (I think?). Basically a bunch of humans were taken into the hold of a ship that was in a weird temporal field and allowed to marinate for 6,000 years until they/their descendants gradually became superhuman.

It's kind of interesting that Hickman has both in play right now.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

That was the Vault, from Mike Carey's run. The two might be connected in some way, but I'm pretty sure they're separate things.

Here we go, from X-Men #5:

Ahh poo poo. I should probably reread Carey's run, I remember it being really good, Mystique's heel turn hitting me really hard then it getting absorbed into Messiah Complex and turning into a completely different book.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Carey's run on X-Men Legacy was also really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Carey's run on X-Men Legacy was also really good.

It is, it's just a completely different book and his Adjectiveless felt like it didn't get a proper end.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I definitely think "what do you do when a Krakoan citizen starts preying on other citizens?" is a question that arises naturally from the, "all of the X-Men's most heinous mutant villains have citizenship and it's fine, they're fine now" setup, and (from the books I've read) doesn't seem to have really come up yet, barring some of the subterfuge in Marauders.

Like, killing mutants isn't as big a deal any more, but people like the Shadow King can do way worse than kill you, and in fact that's their preferred mode of operation. Same with Mister Sinister, although he's less subtle and less powerful. Does someone who starts hurting other mutants go in the Sabretooth hole? What if they start hurting Sabretooth, or other prisoners, down there? Is that even possible, or are they all in indefinitely extended solitary confinement?

I'm enjoying the Krakoa status quo but the answers to some of these criminal justice questions seem pressing, and would be interesting.
I agree. I have no problem with Apocalypse on this island but predators who literally fed on mutant children seem like they shouldn’t be invited (Emplate, Selene). Also Empath, just seems untrustworthy to have along in general, bur they’re at least talking about him in Hellions.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

A lot of New Mutants villains really put them through the emotional and psychological ringer and I think if I were one of them I'd be like, nonstop traumatized on Krakoa surrounded by people who had kind of ruined my adolescence. A lot of Claremont's most visceral and uncomfortable stuff about consent and control happened in that comic and accordingly a lot of the villains were truly, truly grimy in a way that Apocalypse or Exodus or whoever have never been. I do wonder if there are any other really egregious offenders who got phased underground off-camera, like, is Frank Tieri's Sensational Character Find Mr. X hanging around or did they not even invite him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

A lot of New Mutants villains really put them through the emotional and psychological ringer and I think if I were one of them I'd be like, nonstop traumatized on Krakoa surrounded by people who had kind of ruined my adolescence. A lot of Claremont's most visceral and uncomfortable stuff about consent and control happened in that comic and accordingly a lot of the villains were truly, truly grimy in a way that Apocalypse or Exodus or whoever have never been. I do wonder if there are any other really egregious offenders who got phased underground off-camera, like, is Frank Tieri's Sensational Character Find Mr. X hanging around or did they not even invite him?

That fact any of them would give Charles Xavier the time of day shows way more grace than I'd be capable of.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

That fact any of them would give Charles Xavier the time of day shows way more grace than I'd be capable of.

For real, if I were Karma I'd spend most of my time loving off to outer space too. On Krakoa I wouldn't be able to pop down to the grocery without running into half a dozen people who psychically tortured and abused me as a teenager.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I was going to say, Karma alone has more neuroses and psychological scars than some entire Avengers rosters.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fritzler posted:

I agree. I have no problem with Apocalypse on this island but predators who literally fed on mutant children seem like they shouldn’t be invited (Emplate, Selene). Also Empath, just seems untrustworthy to have along in general, bur they’re at least talking about him in Hellions.

I guess you can kind of give them a pass since they need to feed on human bodies to survive? Same deal with Proteus, although he's always been portrayed as more tragic and screwed up than the others.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think with Selene it's not so much a tragic congenital condition as the fact that she had a natural human lifespan that was used up well over a millennium ago, and now she needs to regularly eat people to stop her 1700+ year old body from rapidly aging. But I'm not clear on that - I'm not sure if it's ever been properly established.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I think it's more vampiric than that, if I recall correctly? She's not feeding to prolong her life unnaturally, she's immortal but still has to feed to stop from starving. If that distinction makes sense.

Selene's a stupid character, though.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 6, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess the shadow king getting his body back could have slightly mellowed him out from the constant possession/corruption bullshit. most of his issues were equal parts him being mad that he was a psychic ghost and being a dick in general.

i'd like to see the social lives of more of these irredeemable psychopath villains on krakoa. the hellions are the broken ones who might conceivably be able to work through their issues, but what about the ones who are even worse?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe they added Shadow King to appeal to Legion fans.

Speaking of which, did David show up yet?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Legion is still missing, along with Mister M.

I only bring up Mr. M because he was shown to be the only other mutant missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't Shadow King possess/puppet Moira for a time? So that may be a problem down the road...