Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't Shadow King possess/puppet Moira for a time? So that may be a problem down the road...

He took over the whole of Muir Island by the time the X-Men realized something was wrong, but yeah, that's was given as the reason why Moira went from wearing cardigans to Jim Lee bodysuits. It would have been more in line with Shadow King's style to make her eat so much she gained 200 pounds but I doubt Lee thought that would have been fun to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

He took over the whole of Muir Island by the time the X-Men realized something was wrong, but yeah, that's was given as the reason why Moira went from wearing cardigans to Jim Lee bodysuits. It would have been more in line with Shadow King's style to make her eat so much she gained 200 pounds but I doubt Lee thought that would have been fun to draw.

So...the Shadow King has been in Moira's head.

Does that mean he knows everything?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Codependent Poster posted:

I only bring up Mr. M because he was shown to be the only other mutant missing.

Due to some large holes in my reading, I had no idea who this was when he was listed as an Omega mutant. I read a wiki on him and thought "Oh, that guy sound boring as gently caress and was only in like 4 issues or something?"

That Hickman kept him as an Omega and listed him as "missing" seems pretty important and something that will come up later.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

danbanana posted:

Due to some large holes in my reading, I had no idea who this was when he was listed as an Omega mutant. I read a wiki on him and thought "Oh, that guy sound boring as gently caress and was only in like 4 issues or something?"

That Hickman kept him as an Omega and listed him as "missing" seems pretty important and something that will come up later.
He’s from a comic that had a great premise, District X. It’s a procedural comic about two cops, Bishop and a human partner, who work in the mutant ghetto in nyc. It ran for 14 issues and then House of M happened and this comic could no longer exist.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Seems like he must and that this should be important eventually. Maybe Moira’s powers that let her hide from tackles also somehow let her hide memories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

He managed to make Goldballs one of the most important Mutants in existence, I'm sure whatever he has planned for Mr M will be decent.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Small touches like these sprinkled throughout the Dawn of X books, which hint that something is ever so slightly off-kilter, are really engaging. I'm glad they didn't stop with Dawn of X proper.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

He managed to make Goldballs one of the most important Mutants in existence, I'm sure whatever he has planned for Mr M will be decent.

I think we over-emphasize the "Hickman has a plan for everything he puts out!" sometimes. I wonder how much of these things are just seeds he tosses out in hopes someone else sees potential and uses it themselves. But in this case, there are a ton of characters who a past writer would classify as "Omega" that didn't make Hickman's cut. That this dude did is intriguing.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
It's entirely possible that this is Amahl Farouk sans the Shadow King entity. I was making the argument elsewhere that we know trauma can change the nature of mutant powers. Could be that whatever Amahl's were sans Shadow King they now manifest with the Shadow King effects when he uses them.

(This may or may not be me calling a shot like with Vulcan.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Adder Moray posted:

It's entirely possible that this is Amahl Farouk sans the Shadow King entity. I was making the argument elsewhere that we know trauma can change the nature of mutant powers. Could be that whatever Amahl's were sans Shadow King they now manifest with the Shadow King effects when he uses them.

I read an interesting Twitter thread that went in-depth on whether Farouk and the Shadow King are even the same entity. The answer isn't terribly conclusive.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I read an interesting Twitter thread that wen tin-depth on whether Farouk and the Shadow King are even the same entity. The answer isn't terribly conclusive.

I was just reading that myself, unless there's two different threads, here it is for everyone else

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1291351123283058689?s=20

I would say it's ambiguous in a way that Hickman could do either interpretation he wanted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I was just reading that myself, unless there's two different threads, here it is for everyone else

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1291351123283058689?s=20

I would say it's ambiguous in a way that Hickman could do either interpretation he wanted.

Adam keeps going with it, too. I'd forgotten Magneto said he fought the Shadow King (which is fair, because it was only mentioned the one time).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KrakoaWelcomes/status/1287553321239117826?s=19

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m hitting the Sienkiewicz years in my New Mutants read and man, sometimes I forget how different the culture was 40 years ago, when teen girls loved Felix the Cat, Magnum and, uh, Jerry Seinfeld?

Also, I’d think that Ancient Rome was familiar with one aspect of Michael Jackson’s behavior, and Magma’s pretty lucky that she doesn’t know what it was.

I guess maybe this is not historically accurate, as it’s teen girls filtered through two middle-aged men.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's John Travolta so... well, I don't know which is better between him and Seinfeld.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think we all know who is responsible for Magnum P.I. being there, those girls are picking up some residual Sunspot brainwaves

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

It's John Travolta so... well, I don't know which is better between him and Seinfeld.

Teen girls would definitely have a better shot at Seinfeld.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was that Selleck or Reynolds that Impossible Man turned into at the end of that Annual and had Kitty and Illyana(?) drooling over him? I get those mustaches mixed up all the time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Was that Selleck or Reynolds that Impossible Man turned into at the end of that Annual and had Kitty and Illyana(?) drooling over him? I get those mustaches mixed up all the time.

Selleck. All the New Mutant ladies loved Tom. Even Rahne thought he was 'verra handsome' even if 'tis nae proper.'

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I get the feeling that most mutants, save a few, get some psychic reconditioning after being either resurrected or going through the gates. It would explain why some of them seem way more accommodating to Krakoa and to their fellow mutants. Also, it occurs to me that, since Empaths lack of, well, empathy, is a product of his mutant powers, maybe there is some sort of hidden law between Xavier and Magneto, like "you can change their minds a bit psychically, but not their powers".

It would explain how characters like Cyclops act more relaxed, how Magick is less demon-y and more horny and how Nightcrawler is abandoning his christianity and thinking of founding another religion (which is (religiously) canonically one heck of a big no-no).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m hitting the Sienkiewicz years in my New Mutants read and man, sometimes I forget how different the culture was 40 years ago, when teen girls loved Felix the Cat, Magnum and, uh, Jerry Seinfeld?
Also, I’d think that Ancient Rome was familiar with one aspect of Michael Jackson’s behavior, and Magma’s pretty lucky that she doesn’t know what it was.

I guess maybe this is not historically accurate, as it’s teen girls filtered through two middle-aged men.
I don't think that many/any people had heard any allegations about Michael Jackson in 1984, outside of maybe "he got a nose job". He was absolutely positioned as a MTV/Tiger Beat/heartthrob, and was 26 when "Slumber Party" came out.

John Travolta is probably a few years outdated by 1984, but was also generally considered a super young hunk and was literally on the cover of a bunch of teen magazines during the Welcome Back Kotter/Saturday Night Fever/Grease run of success. By 1984 he was... not doing as well (that drawing of him is based on 1983's Staying Alive, the far less successful sequel to SNF), and Travolta would have been 30 at this time.

I guess Sting being a sexy rock star isn't in question here, and yeah, Magnum PI was a very popular show and Tom Selleck was positioned as a real hunk.

Outside of aesthetics, I don't really know if this feels any different than a contemporary story where a bunch of teenage girls talk about how they have crushes on Jason Momoa or Drake or Chris Evans or Beyonce, all people who are currently popular and the same age/older (41, 33, 39, 38) than anyone in that image was in 1984 (39, 30, 33, 26).

And to head things off at the past since at least one of the celebrities in that image (and at least one Claremont-era X-Man) has credible pedophilia accusations against them, none of those relationships would have been at all okay to actually occur, but teenagers having crushes and fantasizing about non-teenage celebrities is not an invention of "middle aged men" is all I am saying.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 9, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh, that's Sting? I thought it was Billy Idol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

I get the feeling that most mutants, save a few, get some psychic reconditioning after being either resurrected or going through the gates. It would explain why some of them seem way more accommodating to Krakoa and to their fellow mutants. Also, it occurs to me that, since Empaths lack of, well, empathy, is a product of his mutant powers, maybe there is some sort of hidden law between Xavier and Magneto, like "you can change their minds a bit psychically, but not their powers".

It would explain how characters like Cyclops act more relaxed, how Magick is less demon-y and more horny and how Nightcrawler is abandoning his christianity and thinking of founding another religion (which is (religiously) canonically one heck of a big no-no).

Nightcrawler already gave up heaven to help his friends.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

howe_sam posted:

Oh, that's Sting? I thought it was Billy Idol.
I assume it's Sting mostly because he wore sunglasses similar to those in a lot of promo shots/videos in a way Billy Idol really didn't, was a bigger name that would make proto "Sexiest Man Alive" type lists, and isn't sneering.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Skwirl posted:

Nightcrawler already gave up heaven to help his friends.

Yeah in terms of religious no-nos, "Hey, I backed out of heaven to go have swashbuckling fights with my demon dad and save my friends" is higher up there I think, and the payment was he's now a soulless husk, while Actual Demon Illyana Rasputin(a) currently has her own entire soul.

Boy, how does the demon stuff work with the Krakoa stuff? If it copies the soul, can you use that copied soul in Magical Ritual? I feel like living sacrifices for magic are suddenly on the table a lot more, now, which... we're getting an x-men magic-based crossover soon, so.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vincent posted:

I don’t know about psychic conditioning, but they do what they can to make resurrected people comfortable. It’s even mentioned in one of the data pages that they’ll resurrect a mutant with their friends when they can to help them cope. The two girls with Vulcan from his ill fated team were probably near the front of the line, so they could keep an eye on him.

Cyclops and Magik at least are probably just happy for a change.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

I don’t know about psychic conditioning, but they do what they can to make resurrected people comfortable.
Way back in HoX/PoX we have a scene where Xavier warns Frost about psychically influencing people as it leave a mark or something, so if he is loving with them we're bound to see some amazing snapback.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Didn't Domino get part of her memories wiped when she specifically did not want them to be?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Didn't Domino get part of her memories wiped when she specifically did not want them to be?

Xavier/Cerebro does an automatic backup of every living mutant's memories once a week and he'll do them more frequently in special circumstances (right before going on a dangerous mission for instance). I think Domino just got herself killed before a new backup could be made.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I thought the implication was that Colossus lied and told them she requested the torture memories be removed.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I thought the implication was that Colossus lied and told them she requested the torture memories be removed.

Seems to be the case. Either that, or someone up the line in the Krakoan hierarchy made an executive decision that she'd be a better soldier with less baggage.

We know it wasn't her idea, because her literal last words were the opposite.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Flying Zamboni posted:

that was the implication.

i also did not realize that Colossus actually died at the start of the series, and it was only after he came back that he started pressuring her with "hey wouldn't it be awesome to die and have all the bad parts of your memories go away so they couldn't hurt you anymore, that sounds awesome to me, we could do it together c'mon" which is a pretty important thing to keep in mind, i think

she always told him no and that her memories and experiences and traumas are too important for her to hold on to and if she got rid of them she wouldn't be herself anymore, and when she was dying in his arms after crashing the train containing the cloning facility they were using to make copies of her she told him that she would only die if he promised they wouldn't touch her memories and he said yes

now she's back with the bad memories removed and when wolverine pressed her about it she says she doesn't even know if she was in her right mind after being captured and is better off with the memories removed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Way back in HoX/PoX we have a scene where Xavier warns Frost about psychically influencing people as it leave a mark or something, so if he is loving with them we're bound to see some amazing snapback.

I took this to suggest that he can't help doing it when they resurrect people. A lil.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Marauders #11: :3: Emma remains a queen, and hooray for Kate!

X-Force #11: :catstare: That was messed up. Haha, Quentin.

X-Men: Empyre: :ssj: Illyana going UNLIMITED POWER was a thing. (Bit of a drop this issue compared to how wildly fun the last two were though, but I am curious for the finale.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I appreciate how X-Men Empyre keeps saying "but what if more crazy?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Marauders is v. good. :unsmith:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I honestly have no idea what's even going on anymore with the Empyre tie-in. Someone's clearly having fun trying out crazy ideas with the opportunity available, but between "we need all psychics!" (why? they didn't seem to do much other than punch zombies), alien zombie plants, Illyana going SSJ3 Goblin Queen because, and a gigantic brain that mutates into whatever happens in the last page, I have a very hard time following whatever is transpiring. And if the writing is a mess, I don't think the art is helping out either.

But hey, who cares about that when

Dawgstar posted:

Marauders is v. good. :unsmith:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm just catching up from the first post-COVID-shutdown books, and I just wanna say I loving hated X-Men #10.

That is all.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Metalshark posted:

X-Force #11: :catstare: That was messed up. Haha, Quentin.

"Not again. :("

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How many loving times has he died since the reboot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skwirl posted:

How many loving times has he died since the reboot?

Every other issue of X-Force I'm pretty sure.