Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Roku ultras 2019 model support everything I've sent to it to date once you uncheck their stupid default "always transcode over 4mbps/1080p" box and check "force direct play".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is it behind a VPN? I have a friend who can’t hit my server when he’s on his PS4 even though a couple others can from their phone/iPads.

My stuff is not behind any kind of VPN and according to the settings on my server I'm good to go on outside access. Like I said it's just this person, everyone else is fine for some reason.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I've got a bunch of videos that I can play fine on my PC but in Plex it just gives me an error message

Plex posted:

An error occurred while attempting to play this video. Please check your connection and try again

I think it's a codec issue (I get a similar issue if I switch to the old player) but frankly I'm not sure what to search for really. Media Player Classic tells me the following info

MPC posted:

General
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 1.58 GiB
Duration : 44mn 4s
Overall bit rate : 5 139 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf57.25.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L3.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 5 039 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 50.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.109
Stream size : 1.55 GiB (98%)
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 29.8 MiB (2%)
Language : English

Do I need to re-encode these videos myself?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I know that whenever I try to play a 50 fps video, my Plex/Chromecast setup stops working.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

I know that whenever I try to play a 50 fps video, my Plex/Chromecast setup stops working.

I hadn't noticed that. As a test I generated an 'Optimized' version of one of the videos and it plays fine now. Will do the same on the rest.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I think I posted here a while back about video file conversion to x265 for obvious reasons, so I'm hoping you can help me tweak my approach:

x265 is just processor intensive. On a ~5 year old i5 I get 10fps on my conversions. If you want it to go faster, an nvidia GPU and an ffmpeg build with NVENC is probably the right option. I've never been happy with intel quicksync output.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

About realtime is right for that CPU and x265.
If you want to nvenc, get a used 20x0 series as the encoder was significantly improved. Generally I don't recommend it unless you're targeting larger bitrates.

I'm not going to try to translate your code whilst phone posting but some general ideas for speed:

10bit encoding is quicker than 8 with better quality.
Don't push the encoder past 'medium' - the visual trade offs are pixel peeping stills, the time ones are large.
DO push the level to the highest possible whilst supported by your players. A lot of optimization in 5.0 and 5.1 are for speed.
Don't try to conserve film grain, a slight noise filter to clear it makes it quicker and the files much smaller.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dear lord, the Plex Movie Scanner (both legacy and new) are deciding to default to just the most godawful posters they possibly could right now. It never used to be this bad, but a horrible percentage of what it's added today has had the physical bluray amaray case in the picture, and at worst an isometric render of the box itself. That isn't in English, despite the film itself being American.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 4, 2020

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord, the Plex Movie Scanner (both legacy and new) are deciding to default to just the most godawful posters they possibly could right now. It never used to be this bad, but a horrible percentage of what it's added today has had the physical bluray amaray case in the picture, and at worst an isometric render of the box itself. That isn't in English, despite the film itself being American.

It's been a minute since I've been able to add a movie to Plex without fixing something

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My poo poo is working for some reason so I'm not touching anything. Ever.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm actually fine going in an manually adjusting the posters, because why would you want the american poster for the motion picture Cellular

when the Japanese poster exists? I don't have a big library so this isn't a big annoyance for me. I can imagine it being dumb down the line with a larger library to manage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it happens again tomorrow as I do a bunch of imports (it’s all archive poo poo) I’ll have to take a screenshot of how awful it looks.

It is annoying that the new scanner can’t pick up on the legacy scanner processed files if you add a duplicate, but that’s the same behavior that exists for tmdb too so I’m not surprised. Luckily I’m doing a bunch of stuff by hand at the moment so I know which are duped.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Qwijib0 posted:

x265 is just processor intensive. On a ~5 year old i5 I get 10fps on my conversions. If you want it to go faster, an nvidia GPU and an ffmpeg build with NVENC is probably the right option. I've never been happy with intel quicksync output.

Khablam posted:

About realtime is right for that CPU and x265.
If you want to nvenc, get a used 20x0 series as the encoder was significantly improved. Generally I don't recommend it unless you're targeting larger bitrates.

I'm not going to try to translate your code whilst phone posting but some general ideas for speed:

10bit encoding is quicker than 8 with better quality.
Don't push the encoder past 'medium' - the visual trade offs are pixel peeping stills, the time ones are large.
DO push the level to the highest possible whilst supported by your players. A lot of optimization in 5.0 and 5.1 are for speed.
Don't try to conserve film grain, a slight noise filter to clear it makes it quicker and the files much smaller.

Thank you both! I'll do some more research, but I appreciate the starting points :tipshat:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wow, it’s like they’re sitting on my shelf! Such perspective too!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah that looks fuckin gross. All of my recent uploads in the past week have decent covers. What determines the cover?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not sure how they decide which is the default, but I was getting this on both the Plex Legacy and the new one they've just implemented. Not for every film, but a large proportion. Seems like something has changed, as I hadn't messed with the scanner until yesterday (thinking moving to the new one would resolve this).

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
i would assume the agent you use determines the image you get?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's whatever agent is primary. Just set it to the Movie database, there's nothing like that in there.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

How can I shift a couple of TV shows stuck at the top of 'recently added' for several months? Everything legit added shows after those.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chubby Henparty posted:

How can I shift a couple of TV shows stuck at the top of 'recently added' for several months? Everything legit added shows after those.

Had this bug recently, just had to pull the show out of the library then re-add it and it stopped getting stuck. Happened to a few things, not sure why.

e: oh good lord, the poster problem is actually completely my fault... I forgot that because I was doing everything by hand rather than automated like usual, that the files weren't being sanitized and of course there was a ton of cover.jpg crap inside them and I scan for local assets. The one time that bites me in the rear end...

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 6, 2020

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hello Plex thread!

I need to whip up a media player for the mother-in-laws camping trailer, which is parked outside cell reception, no wifi either.

I was thinking Plex with an external hard drive loaded with the type of shows she likes, but I’m not sure whether Plex is the best option for something like this, or if it will require me to set up a server as well. Is there a better solution here? I’m open to spending a few hundred bucks on this, so long as it is intuitive and doesn’t require me to janitor it constantly.

Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hello Plex thread!

I need to whip up a media player for the mother-in-laws camping trailer, which is parked outside cell reception, no wifi either.

I was thinking Plex with an external hard drive loaded with the type of shows she likes, but I’m not sure whether Plex is the best option for something like this, or if it will require me to set up a server as well. Is there a better solution here? I’m open to spending a few hundred bucks on this, so long as it is intuitive and doesn’t require me to janitor it constantly.

Thanks!

Plex relies on a server and a local or remote network to function, so it’s probably not what you’re looking for.

Not endorsing this because I have no idea if it’s poo poo or not, but this kind of thing is likely what you’re looking for

http://www.agptek.com/product/agptek-media-player-hd-media-player-mini-hd-tv-player-usb-1080p-hdmi-av-player/

If they haven’t purchased a TV set yet, you might even be able to find a smart TV that can read directly off a USB HDD. You may have file compatibility issues, but once you figure it out it should be very set and forget.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 6, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hello Plex thread!

Thanks!

Plex requires a server to function, but the Plex server can also function as the player. That said, Plex can be used without an internet connection, but it isn't really ideal in scenarios where there's no network/wifi available. Your best bet, imo, is probably just getting a Roku streamer box or Roku TV and using the built-in Roku media player app to play stuff off an external drive. It'll be jank as gently caress in comparison UI/navigation wise, but it'll 100% work in situations where there is no wifi/internet/network no problem.

[edit] Support article for the Roku media player app: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908 and some YT video showing how the app functions on a Roku TV model (should identical on Roku streamer boxes too if you already have TV):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lTGOoZPos

[edit 2] If you already have a TV, you would specifically need a Roku Ultra streamer box since that's the only model of their standalone units with a USB port. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra — it's currently on sale for $80. If haven't already purchased a TV, consider a Roku TV model: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-tv — most, if not all, Roku TV models from whatever OEM should have a USB port that you can hook up an external drive to.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 6, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hello Plex thread!

Thanks!

At the risk of a derail, but I would use KODI for that. I believe there's version ro run on a raspberry pi.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Alternatively, a Nvidia Shield with Kodi installed and a external HD. This combination is super easy to setup.

You can hook up internet to it to download the meta data and then it will work fine without internet access.

Kodi can also use local meta data and do away with internet altogether.

Plex just sucks for no internet access situations. It really does. Didn't used to be that way, but they kinda ignore requests to make it work decently without internet.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 6, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot Kodi exists haha. That would be a good solution too. No Kodi on Roku I don't think, but yeah, a Shield with Kodi would be good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Had this bug recently, just had to pull the show out of the library then re-add it and it stopped getting stuck. Happened to a few things, not sure why.

Will do that, thanks!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

teagone posted:

Plex requires a server to function, but the Plex server can also function as the player. That said, Plex can be used without an internet connection, but it isn't really ideal in scenarios where there's no network/wifi available. Your best bet, imo, is probably just getting a Roku streamer box or Roku TV and using the built-in Roku media player app to play stuff off an external drive. It'll be jank as gently caress in comparison UI/navigation wise, but it'll 100% work in situations where there is no wifi/internet/network no problem.

[edit] Support article for the Roku media player app: https://support.roku.com/article/208754908 and some YT video showing how the app functions on a Roku TV model (should identical on Roku streamer boxes too if you already have TV):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9lTGOoZPos

[edit 2] If you already have a TV, you would specifically need a Roku Ultra streamer box since that's the only model of their standalone units with a USB port. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra — it's currently on sale for $80. If haven't already purchased a TV, consider a Roku TV model: https://www.roku.com/products/roku-tv — most, if not all, Roku TV models from whatever OEM should have a USB port that you can hook up an external drive to.

Edit; derp, forgot to refresh the thread before posting!

Unfortunately, the Roku Ultra isn’t readily available in Canada. Maybe something like an Nvidia Shield?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Widely Compatible
Can Live Without Internet
Doesn't Need Fiddling

Pick two.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'd say Shield, doesn't need to be the latest one and if you're using external storage doesn't need to be Pro model either. You'll need to connect it to the internet once to download Kodi and set up media assets but you should be good to go after that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Widely Compatible
Can Live Without Internet
Doesn't Need Fiddling

Pick two.

RIP WDTV

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I just want to add that FireSticks are useless if you have no internet connection. You can't even get to the home screen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

RIP WDTV

A Real One

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I still have my OG WDTV Live in a box somewhere. The one before the one that got Netflix support, lmao.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
RIP Boxee Box

you goofy looking bastard

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Edit; derp, forgot to refresh the thread before posting!

Unfortunately, the Roku Ultra isn’t readily available in Canada. Maybe something like an Nvidia Shield?

The entry level Nvidia Shield (the tube looking one) doesn't have a USB port, so for local media you'd have to use a microSD card. The Roku Ultra is on Amazon.ca for $199.99 CAD https://www.amazon.ca/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B07KDFH916/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Roku+Ultra&qid=1596759383&sr=8-4, though that seems a bit much? If the price of an Nvidia Shield Pro is comparable, the Shield Pro + Kodi is probably your best/most elegant solution.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

priznat posted:

RIP Boxee Box

you goofy looking bastard

dumb looking piece of poo poo. they really thought Hulu was gonna let that fly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There are plenty of used older model Shields (which have plenty of USB ports) on eBay.

The things don't really have a problem with failing. So a used one would be fine.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FCKGW posted:

RIP WDTV

My first love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I’ve just started using Plex to play my music on my roku and this noticeable delay between tracks is driving me nuts. I understand there’s a desktop/mobile plexamp app that deals with this — is there any way to get that kind of result on my tv?