Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kazinsal posted:

the longer this whole poo poo goes on the more I wonder if it's ever actually going to end

like, I don't think the united states is going to ever actually be able to get rid of this and there's just going to be a third wave and then a fourth wave and then a fifth ad apocalypticum. this means the rest of the world (especially your northern neighbour) is going to just be hosed forever because for better or worse we can't just cut off freedomland

the only way this ends is if everyone who refuses to wear masks etc croaks of it and that's going to kill tens of millions of people who *are* taking precautions
Third wave? We haven't finished the first.

Supposedly the general agreement among experts so far based on the current various vaccine tests is that an effective vaccine for covid is very likely. I have a feeling that you're not gonna see a lot of anti-vaxx poo poo gaining traction after another 5-6 months of this before the vaccines start showing up.

For capitalism in America to really function properly everyone needs to be able to go back to work without people just randomly causing outbreaks which shut your businesses down for weeks at a time- if the human misery doesn't get the dumbest loving people in our country to get vaccinated, our glorious corporate overlords will MAKE them get it by making vaccination a requirement for employment (they will also not pay for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Fabricated posted:

Third wave? We haven't finished the first.

Supposedly the general agreement among experts so far based on the current various vaccine tests is that an effective vaccine for covid is very likely. I have a feeling that you're not gonna see a lot of anti-vaxx poo poo gaining traction after another 5-6 months of this before the vaccines start showing up.

For capitalism in America to really function properly everyone needs to be able to go back to work without people just randomly causing outbreaks which shut your businesses down for weeks at a time- if the human misery doesn't get the dumbest loving people in our country to get vaccinated, our glorious corporate overlords will MAKE them get it by making vaccination a requirement for employment (they will also not pay for it).

i suspect anti-vax sentiment might widen a bit after trump tries to dr mengele his hand at widespread distribution of first-wave vaccines that were rushed through trials. remember, the only criteria for success is "better than getting coronavirus, even slightly"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

CallofDutyJeepWrangler.jpg

Chrysler really has the "grown man with the brain of a fourteen year old" market nailed down, it's pretty impressive.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my alma mater announced this morning that only freshman and seniors will be allowed on campus for the fall semester

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

i suspect anti-vax sentiment might widen a bit after trump tries to dr mengele his hand at widespread distribution of first-wave vaccines that were rushed through trials. remember, the only criteria for success is "better than getting coronavirus, even slightly"

i'm in favor of all vaccines except any which were rushed through to meet "operation warp speed". i don't doubt that an effective vaccine for sars-cov-2 is possible but i personally am willing to wait for wide-scale testing and real-world usage to be really, really sure it's safe

for the same reason i'm happy to let rich assholes buy their way to the front of the line for any vaccine, though. won't shed many tears for someone who got greedy and just couldn't bear not being able to fly halfway across the globe on a whim if it turns out there's some unknown side effect

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

graph posted:

my alma mater announced this morning that only freshman and seniors will be allowed on campus for the fall semester

Did they say why? The selection of those two particular sets makes no sense.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Schadenboner posted:

sure it makes sense

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Schadenboner posted:

They want students in their first year to form a strong bond with the cultural aspects of the university and really feel a part of it, instead of just being online learning same as they could get anywhere else.

They want students in their last year to reaffirm their bond with the university, because alumni donations make up a large part of the university's income.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1291372410067996676

huh, what an amazing coincidence

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FMguru posted:

good news, everyone!

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1291372410067996676

huh, what an amazing coincidence

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

big presidential jonestown energy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jabor posted:

They want students in their first year to form a strong bond with the cultural aspects of the university and really feel a part of it, instead of just being online learning same as they could get anywhere else.

They want students in their last year to reaffirm their bond with the university, because alumni donations make up a large part of the university's income.
blammo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

honestly curious if anyone on his team will be able to stop him from just outright promising the vaccine in exchange for votes

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

honestly curious if anyone on his team will be able to stop him from just outright promising the vaccine in exchange for votes

American society produces leaders that just don't comprehend the idea of ethics because they've never had to deal with it at all in the preceding seventy-odd years of life.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jabor posted:

lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Goddamn, private colleges are loving weird.

E: Although I went to a third-rate public university which was only one (very) small step up from open admission, maybe people are proud of a school if effort was expended getting admitted? :shrug:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

:confused:

Apr 7, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Goddamn, private colleges are loving weird.

E: Although I went to a third-rate public university which was only one (very) small step up from open admission, maybe people are proud of a school if effort was expended getting admitted? :shrug:

I went to community college and paid $9K all in. Worked out okay.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i paid tens of thousands of dollars for a degree i don't use in any way

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Did they make you live on-campus?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i went to a state school and came out with $35k in loans

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chmods please posted:

i'm in favor of all vaccines except any which were rushed through to meet "operation warp speed". i don't doubt that an effective vaccine for sars-cov-2 is possible but i personally am willing to wait for wide-scale testing and real-world usage to be really, really sure it's safe

for the same reason i'm happy to let rich assholes buy their way to the front of the line for any vaccine, though. won't shed many tears for someone who got greedy and just couldn't bear not being able to fly halfway across the globe on a whim if it turns out there's some unknown side effect

:same:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fart simpson posted:

:sigh::hf::sigh:

Apr 7, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i went to a state school and came

the true purpose of college

Apr 7, 2003

Been really getting into cheese while WFH. Got some goodass brie that I'm spreading on Carr's crackers. That's flavor, baby.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Been really getting into cheese while WFH. Got some goodass brie that I'm spreading on Carr's crackers. That's flavor, baby.

nice, same, except just string cheese. i've been ramping up my consumption and i'm up to 8 a day now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
brie is so loving good

i love cheese

too bad i'm lactose intolerant :gas:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

ah but how much did you donate to your alumni association

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

$0

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
donate to food banks not rich endowment funds

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good cheese is the best, I just ate a breakfast sandwich with an egg and some 2 year cheddar and it was outstanding

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

i am all for vaccines but maybe dont rush to get the very first batch

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

fart simpson posted:

i looked up my state school's tuition and it's gone up almost 30% since i graduated. it's nearly $20k a semester for in state :(

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It seems like it would be buying 1st gen Apple hardware, except that the guy at the top is Trump rather than a complete control freak like Stebe?

Which, actually, would explain the Timb era p.well I think?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

i am all for vaccines but maybe dont rush to get the very first batch

at the very least wait until the vaccine is deployed in an actual developed nation before spending your life savings on it

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

at the very least wait until the vaccine is deployed in an actual developed nation before spending your life savings on it

do you really think the US will use vaccine developed in the EU?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah the way the vaccine is getting "rushed" is by skipping the part where they give it to a small test group and wait to see if it has long term side effects, so you can do that yourself with all the early adopters as that test group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

haveblue posted:

yeah the way the vaccine is getting "rushed" is by skipping the part where they give it to a small test group and wait to see if it has long term side effects, so you can do that yourself with all the early adopters as that test group

i cant wait for the fallout this will cause fron anti-vaxxers