Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ike was also President during Peak Pax-Americana so that had a big part in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rigel posted:

17.7%, 1932 (FDR)
17.4%, 1928 (Hoover)

These two being right next to each other is deeply funny to me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ike was also President during Peak Pax-Americana so that had a big part in it.

Fun fact he was last Republican president to ever push for civil rights legislation.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 5, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Two GE polls today from two quality outfits

+12 from IPSOS/Reuters
+9 from YouGov/Economist

and two polls from two lovely outfits

+3 from Rasmussen
+3 from HarrisX

Which hosed up the 538 aggregate to drop it to +7.6.

For reference Harris X had the race at 43-39 in mid June at the height of the protests when Biden was at the peak of his polling. Today 43-40. They suck.

We desperately need CNN, Monmouth, ABC or others like that to drop new polls already.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 5, 2020

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

i would anticipate things get worse, not better, for trump - but the key is that covid injects substantial uncertainty and provides a plausible path for votes that were steady previously to change

i would note, however, that covid appears to be somewhat on the downswing - still stupendously high, but it seems people got scared enough into staying home to make some effect

I would wait till the end of August when this dumbfuck's death cultists on school boards across the country force the schools to open to recreate the Black Death

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

howe_sam posted:

These two being right next to each other is deeply funny to me.

harding and cooledge were very popular at the time because a ton of people were hosed up by ww1 and spanish flu and wanted to go back to normal and prosperous and that happened under them. hoover comes in and when the house of cards falls down, he has no loving idea what to do and while he is well meaning at first, he gets scared by the bonus march and sends out the army in and he is hosed after that. plus just not knowing what to do when the poo poo went to hell. hoover was in my opinion the last gilded age president.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Xombie posted:

It literally does.
With regard to the election, sure. With regard to the fact that if he wins he has to actually assume office and actually govern, it does loving not.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Two GE polls today from two quality outfits

+12 from IPSOS/Reuters
+9 from YouGov/Economist

and two polls from two lovely outfits

+3 from Rasmussen
+3 from HarrisX

Which hosed up the 538 aggregate to drop it to +7.6.

For reference Harris X had the race at 43-39 in mid June at the height of the protests when Biden was at the peak of his polling. Today 43-40. They suck.

We desperately need CNN, Monmouth, ABC or others like that to drop new polls already.

Political Polls needs to drop Rasmussen and HarrisX. gently caress being non-partisan

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Should I be stressing out over Kanye getting on state ballots because I am getting scared at how hard GOP is pushing this and that this gambit could actually make a difference.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 6, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

harding and cooledge were very popular at the time because a ton of people were hosed up by ww1 and spanish flu and wanted to go back to normal and prosperous and that happened under them.

:thunk:

In brighter news I'm real curious about the nyag announcement tomorrow.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Crosspost from USPOL on a possible explanation:

https://twitter.com/rvawonk/status/1291168208997830663?s=21

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

My Twitter Account posted:

With regard to the election, sure. With regard to the fact that if he wins he has to actually assume office and actually govern, it does loving not.

This thread is limited to the former.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Should I be stressing out over Kanye getting on state ballots because I am getting scared at how hard GOP is pushing this and that this gambit could actually make a difference.

I mean wasn't there a poll showing that Kanye was more likely to have a slight spoiler effect on Trump instead of on Biden?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xombie posted:

This thread is limited to the former.

This rule seems to be unevenly applied.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:thunk:

i mean the prosperous stuff was under harding and cooledge for various reasons. lots of short term gains and everything being used as collatoral on the stock market and poo poo. hoovers economy was still alright until it pooped blood and than collapsed over a period of year and half or so.

on your other point. id be curious too. kinda hope he pulls a comey on him and he loses his poo poo.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hoovers economy was still alright until it pooped blood and than collapsed over a period of year and half or so.

Again, hmmmmm.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Somfin posted:

This rule seems to be unevenly applied.

In that people are allowed to talk about a hypothetical second term of Trump and what he would do, and NOT Biden's hypothetical first term? I don't think so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I mean wasn't there a poll showing that Kanye was more likely to have a slight spoiler effect on Trump instead of on Biden?

Kanye's platform - to the extent that he has one besides "I am a god" - is deeply religious and anti-abortion and skeptical of structural action against racism in a very "black people are on the democrat's plantation" kinda way. There's no real reason to think he'll pull any meaningful number of democratic voters beyond the fact that he is black. And in my experience, black people I've met or whose thoughts I've read on the matter have a complicated opinion on Kanye at best, not the sort of thing I'd expect to overwhelm any discussion of the sorts of policy where Kanye is an obvious mess.

If we get hard data to suggest the opposite at some point or if Kanye starts, uh, actually campaigning then I'm perfectly willing to be wrong on that front, but if Biden loses I see zero reason to expect that Kanye will have anything to do with it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1291230401160261632

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kanye has zero chance of pulling off any voters from anyone. It's an incoherent mess of a campaign by a person that's obviously mentally unwell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
_____ has zero chance of pulling off any voters from anyone. It's an incoherent mess of a campaign by a person that's obviously mentally unwell.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The only person who’s gonna vote for Kanye is someone who was already planning on writing in Bugs Bunny or some poo poo like that.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

If that campaign event from Kanye like a week ago where he told people not to cheer is anything to go by then I insist that he be allowed in at the Biden Trump debates

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Love the implication that they stopped laundering Russian money after the 1990s.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1291355426848677889

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

loving Iowa might be flipping

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It still shocks me that North Carolina is one of the states with the biggest lead. I am concerned though that I think I recall in 2014 the democratic senator in North Carolina lead wire-to-wire with a reasonably big lead and Tillis squeaked it out on election day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

It still shocks me that North Carolina is one of the states with the biggest lead. I am concerned though that I think I recall in 2014 the democratic senator in North Carolina lead wire-to-wire with a reasonably big lead and Tillis squeaked it out on election day.

2014 got hosed by white people being repulsed by BLM and fear mongering over Ebola.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1291357509282824193

Is Biden really up by 5 in Texas, or is this Bizarro World, or is this poster bad?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TwoQuestions posted:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1291357509282824193

Is Biden really up by 5 in Texas, or is this Bizarro World, or is this poster bad?

He’s up 5 in that TX district. I don’t know how that district voted in 2016.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's the district with Denton in it. It's fairly red but neither of them is incumbent, it's the one Kenny Marchant said he's not running for election in. Last election Marchant won by a small amount so I think most are expecting it to flip in a dem election.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s up 5 in that TX district. I don’t know how that district voted in 2016.

in 2018, it went for the republican incumbent by three points and beto by three points; in 2016 it went trump by six points

so yeah, it flipping is expected given that beto result

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

so once again, a roughly 10 point shift

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

That district went +6 Trump in 2016 and +3 for Beto in 2018. It's +9 R according to the Cook PVI. It's mostly suburbs, wealthier/more educated than average and is exactly the kind of district you'd expect to be swinging D given the trends we're seeing elsewhere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

so once again, a roughly 10 point shift

since it's a suburb so you should not extrapolate its swing to the state as a whole, since it's pretty well established at this point that suburbs are seeing the biggest anti-trump swing from 2016 to now

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1291437339038949377

That's a *much* closer race in KY than other polls have shown, and it makes me a bit skeptical of these polls overall.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1291437339038949377

That's a *much* closer race in KY than other polls have shown, and it makes me a bit skeptical of these polls overall.

Quinnipiac is a really highly regarded pollster.
Which as Nate always points out, means they publish and produce weird outliers sometimes.

EDIT: lol also in their data is the two Maine sub-districts. One is going +1 for Trump, the other is going +31 for Biden.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 6, 2020

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jeneps/status/1291445080461541378

womp womp

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Now I hope Trump threatens to skip them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Get hosed, Lindsey.