Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Interesting guide, but not for me. My factories don't get built, they metastasize. Current project is a supercomputer factory and it's almost done :toot:

LOL. Still looks nice and organized compared to whatever I'm doing over in my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
One question I can't get a clear answer on: Do automated trains switch tracks by themselves, or do they just use whatever the track was manually set to? I wasn't sure so I've been keeping trains to a relative minimum and having them pickup/drop off only specific things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

One question I can't get a clear answer on: Do automated trains switch tracks by themselves, or do they just use whatever the track was manually set to? I wasn't sure so I've been keeping trains to a relative minimum and having them pickup/drop off only specific things.

And automatic train will switch tracks to find the best way to get somewhere. It sucks that automated trains can do that, but in order to go a different direction on a train you control, you have to get out and manually activate the switch.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kraftwerk posted:

Are there any good resources I can use for base planning and organization.
I think the hardest part about this game is knowing how to physically place your production lines, having the room to build them and then having to tear things down and re organize in order to scale up.

Once you scale up, pre-planning thing is important if you're trying to fit inside any sort of limited space. That's why people do sky bases or the dune desert, where you can always expand another 10 foundations.

For layouts I use draw.io (apparently rebranded to diagrams.net), they have a desktop version also. Set the grid to a 5mm scale, the bold gridlines represent a foundation. It's easy to make some templates and then copy-paste to lay out large manifolds.

Tenebrais posted:

It's kind of an unfortunate design flaw of the game that this scale problem has a naive solution of "just build a hundred million foundations in the sky", letting you solve your problem with tedium rather than challenge. But on the other hand, it's not hard to avoid doing that either if you don't want to, so I guess it's fine as an alternative strategy for people who want to use their Factorio design principles instead. It does make me worry if area-fill and blueprints might end up trivialising the space challenge, though, by letting you easily put your whole factory in the sky.

Nah it's fine, it's good that the game has many ways to play it. Just as it's good that there are no real objectives besides the satisfaction of building things. People who want their objective to be the BIGGEST factory can build in the sky or grid the world, for them the challenge is the complexity of balancing loads and acquiring resources.

For me, my objective is to build the prettiest factories that integrate with terrain and are necessarily smaller. It doesn't matter to me that my factory produces 1/10th the iron plates as the sky-factory -- it takes me 20 hours do build a thing so production rate isn't really my main concern.

If blueprints come out I won't see them as "ruining my game" because the factories I make are unique. Blueprints for foundation circles would be nice, or a block of smelters or constructors pre-laid in a manifold. Hooking up the IO belts for 16 smelters: that's tedious.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Cojawfee posted:

And automatic train will switch tracks to find the best way to get somewhere. It sucks that automated trains can do that, but in order to go a different direction on a train you control, you have to get out and manually activate the switch.

Oh, poo poo. Thanks. This changes *everything* :byodood:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah as long as your train can physically reach a station via tracks, it'll get there automated. My current run has the train on a 3-stop system, with a T loop in the center. It starts at the base of the T, goes to the left station, swings around via teardrop loop, passes the T loop to get to the right station, teardrop loop back, down the T again.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sereri posted:

The only thing that's important is that the foundations align.

The grid is everything and everything is grid

I once jetpacked to the top of the St. Louis Arch by the Northern Forest starting point to build a grid aligned North South there figuring it was the highest point for miles around and the grid would be completely flat.

Only reason I didn't do it is I thought it was high enough that the mantas would fly through me which I heard is a bad thing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Oh No, I started playing again. Please send help, my work needs me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Oh No, I started playing again. Please send help, my work needs me.

The Factory is all the work you need, friend.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Ok, newbie questions, trying to stay away from spoilers a little.

1. Whoa, coal is amazing, holy poo poo, no more running around refueling my stuff. Should I basically never touch biofuels again now that I have it?
2. Playing on rocky desert, am I the only dipshit who climbed the cliffside of the mountain where the closest coal deposit was? I tried to go through the cave but the farty plants tried to kill me repeatedly, so I had to climb it instead. I'm assuming that now that I have a tractor with a tractor station, I can just drive past that?
3. Is it fair to say that the reinforced iron plate thing is super important of a resource and you always seem to run out of it, especially if you're trying to build better belts?
4. Do I still need biofuels for the tractor, or I can use something else for it? Maybe coal?
5. What's with the green slug reactor thing? Can I use that to power something? The game has given me no indication of how I'm supposed to use that stuff.
6. I built my coal generators, water extractors and coal mine all in the same location up on that mountain, and dragged power cables back to my main base 1km away. That seems pretty efficient compared to moving water and coal instead. Am I about right there?
7. Any way to speed up moving between my outposts? Climbing up that cliff side is a pain, takes me about 10 min to get to and from the darn output. I know tubes are an option, but I'm not at the steel phase yet.

Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
1. Keep a few bioreactors filled up with fuel but disconnected. You never know when you're going to mismanage your power and end up in a blackout that is unrecoverable. Machines use power at different times, but when you try to turn power back on, all the machines use power at once. This might be more than your grid can handle, and boosting your max power with a bioreactor can help.

2. I also went up there. I used the stackable belt supports to climb up there.

3. It's useful and you'll want to keep making it. More parts will need it later. And when you upgrade your belts, you'll get the plates back which you can use to make other things. You might not know this, but you can upgrade and downgrade belts by just selecting the level you want and highlighting a belt and clicking.

4. Just try things and see if it works

5. You'll unlock what it is used for with research.

6. Whatever is easiest for you is the right way to do it. It's a big map, do whatever is easier for you. You don't have to do everything perfectly.

7. You can ride belts. Your speed is your running speed plus the speed of the belt. You can run against belts, but it slows you down obviously.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

DreadCthulhu posted:

Ok, newbie questions, trying to stay away from spoilers a little.

1. Whoa, coal is amazing, holy poo poo, no more running around refueling my stuff. Should I basically never touch biofuels again now that I have it?
2. Playing on rocky desert, am I the only dipshit who climbed the cliffside of the mountain where the closest coal deposit was? I tried to go through the cave but the farty plants tried to kill me repeatedly, so I had to climb it instead. I'm assuming that now that I have a tractor with a tractor station, I can just drive past that?
3. Is it fair to say that the reinforced iron plate thing is super important of a resource and you always seem to run out of it, especially if you're trying to build better belts?
4. Do I still need biofuels for the tractor, or I can use something else for it? Maybe coal?
5. What's with the green slug reactor thing? Can I use that to power something? The game has given me no indication of how I'm supposed to use that stuff.
6. I built my coal generators, water extractors and coal mine all in the same location up on that mountain, and dragged power cables back to my main base 1km away. That seems pretty efficient compared to moving water and coal instead. Am I about right there?
7. Any way to speed up moving between my outposts? Climbing up that cliff side is a pain, takes me about 10 min to get to and from the darn output. I know tubes are an option, but I'm not at the steel phase yet.

Thanks!

Some great points from Cojawfee above, but to elaborate slightly:

1) I always keep my original bioreactor plant around, just turned off for the reasons he listed. Furthermore, it has purpose with vehicles as you pointed out yourself, but you will also be able to convert it to a situationally useful product much, much later.
2) I had to force myself to start away from the oasis this last time I started. I really like that start because the coal is close... just vertically distant. I made a massive ramp to belt coal down to the oasis hub I built for steel production, while building my coal power using the water in the crater lake near the veins.
3) Reinforced iron plates are very useful. They're a very important part of the production chain, as the mid-tier iron product used in the high tier iron product (modular frames), which are also used later.

6) You'll figure out your own style, but liquid transport is the most difficult over long distances.

5+7) Dig into the MAM. Slug research is super important, and Caterium research has possibly the most important mobility technology in the game.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks for those tips you all.

Re: MAM research, would you say I should prioritize that over trying to complete tiers and doing the space elevator? I very much appreciated the quality of life upgrades like more inventory slots, so all of that is very welcome. I'm just not sure about some of the items like the flower one to paint buildings something else. Maybe that's useful too to color-code your production lines once they get ridiculous.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A few of the research items in the MAM are required to be able to complete the main tech tree, but I think all of those are at tier 7. Otherwise the MAM is entirely about quality of life and decoration. (Just like the Awesome Shop.) If you don't feel the need to paint your buildings, you can skip the paint gun research entirely, but on the other hand you may as well do it since you'll definitely end up with those 5-10 minutes of downtime between other researches sooner or later.

One good tip about the MAM is that you can build as many as you want, and they all connect to the same system. So you can build a MAM anywhere, begin researching something in it, and deconstruct it again. Then check another MAM later for the result.

IMO rushing the space elevator tiers is counter-productive. Don't tier up until you already have a solid production system for your current tiers, since you'll just be poorly equipped to handle the new complexity. (You can make an exception being first package since you definitely want coal.)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 6, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

One good tip about the MAM is that you can build as many as you want, and they all connect to the same system. So you can build a MAM anywhere, begin researching something in it, and deconstruct it again. Then check another MAM later for the result.

Sounds like I don't need to actually have a physical MAM deployed for the research to continue and complete once it's been queued? So I can effectively carry one with me everywhere and deploy it on demand?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DreadCthulhu posted:

Sounds like I don't need to actually have a physical MAM deployed for the research to continue and complete once it's been queued? So I can effectively carry one with me everywhere and deploy it on demand?

IIRC there needs to be a single MAM somewhere in the world at all times, but that means you can just leave one in your base back home and use a "portable" one for actually loading hard drives.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pigbuster posted:

IIRC there needs to be a single MAM somewhere in the world at all times, but that means you can just leave one in your base back home and use a "portable" one for actually loading hard drives.

Nope, you don't need a single MAM at all. The MAM effectively acts as a way to access the research screen and nothing more. Once you've started a research or a drive, you need a grand total of zero MAMs on the map until you want to check up on the research.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DreadCthulhu posted:

I tried to go through the cave but the farty plants tried to kill me repeatedly, so I had to climb it instead. I'm assuming that now that I have a tractor with a tractor station, I can just drive past that?

Since no-one else got this one: poison gas still hurts you if you're driving a vehicle. OTOH it doesn't damage the vehicle at all, so if you can survive blitzing through the fart clouds while recording an autopilot route, the tractor can ignore it after that.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Re: MAM research, would you say I should prioritize that over trying to complete tiers and doing the space elevator?

Yes, now that you have coal power the MAM has a lot of things that are pretty important to unlock before you start building bigger factories (main one being smart splitters), as well as QOL stuff that makes the game much more enjoyable.

The next tier of the space elevator unlocks stuff that's a major step up in complexity, it isn't that "holy poo poo this is so much better" that coal power gives you. IMO taking your time in the coal and steel age to build bigger infrastructure is better than trying to tier up to oil right away.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Klyith posted:

Since no-one else got this one: poison gas still hurts you if you're driving a vehicle. OTOH it doesn't damage the vehicle at all, so if you can survive blitzing through the fart clouds while recording an autopilot route, the tractor can ignore it after that.

It makes me mad the gas clouds just go through stuff. one of the first things I did was stat walling off this huge gas area in my first base, and built stuff starting right at the border of it...only to find out the gas goes through walls and poo poo. So I figured I'll get upgrades to blow it up or become immune or something...nope just lovely filter mask that I have to take off my jetpack to wear...no thanks. I just moved all my stuff away from the gas area.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah it's kind of dumb that the gas flowers can be blown up but not the rock ones, especially as you can destroy those massive non-gas rocks with nobelisks just fine.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

It makes me mad the gas clouds just go through stuff. one of the first things I did was stat walling off this huge gas area in my first base, and built stuff starting right at the border of it...only to find out the gas goes through walls and poo poo. So I figured I'll get upgrades to blow it up or become immune or something...nope just lovely filter mask that I have to take off my jetpack to wear...no thanks. I just moved all my stuff away from the gas area.

If its from those plants at least you can blow them up with dynamite.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I just learned the other day that the Spore Flowers can be blown up. When I got the bombs of course the first thing I tried to do with them was blow up a pillar, it didn't work and I figured that all poison stuff was therefore indestructible. Never tried it on the flowers, then I was reading backwards ITT and someone mentioned it.

The other fun bomb thing I encountered the other day: if you chuck a bomb at a fire-spitter, they can blow it up midair when hit by a fireball.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Klyith posted:

I just learned the other day that the Spore Flowers can be blown up. When I got the bombs of course the first thing I tried to do with them was blow up a pillar, it didn't work and I figured that all poison stuff was therefore indestructible. Never tried it on the flowers, then I was reading backwards ITT and someone mentioned it.

The other fun bomb thing I encountered the other day: if you chuck a bomb at a fire-spitter, they can blow it up midair when hit by a fireball.

My problem is the gas rocks not the flowers, also being able to blow up the flowers must be newer because I couldn't do that when I started out.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

My problem is the gas rocks not the flowers, also being able to blow up the flowers must be newer because I couldn't do that when I started out.

It's very annoying that the Grasslands starting area has that big rock surrounded by gas rocks right in the middle of a huge open field.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Yeah it's kind of dumb that the gas flowers can be blown up but not the rock ones, especially as you can destroy those massive non-gas rocks with nobelisks just fine.

I think those rock towers are meant to be mineral accretions around vents in the ground, rather than generating the gas themselves, so blowing them up wouldn't help.

I get the gameplay function of having gas zones that require you to use your mask and filters. Something like a powered air filter to build into your base if you want to expand into a gas zone would be good though.

The interaction with vehicles particularly annoys me because they'll get you through a vehicle even if you're wearing your gas mask. Your body slot isn't modelled while you're riding something.

Though at least it doesn't go through hypertubes and I don't think it goes through trains either. Just the cars.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would definitely prefer being able to use the mask to run up and do something to the vents that would otherwise kill me without a mask. Like hammer in a plug or build and feed a concrete dumper. Otherwise it's all just no man's land I go around because it's already enough hassle to alternate jet pack and blade runner, I'm not about to juggle gas masks too.

E. Mixed up blade runner

zedprime fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 6, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

zedprime posted:

I would definitely prefer being able to use the mask to run up and do something to the vents that would otherwise kill me without a mask. Like hammer in a plug or build and feed a concrete dumper. Otherwise it's all just no man's land I go around because it's already enough hassle to alternate jet pack and gas mask, I'm not about to juggle gas masks too.

It's like living in america, you either choose a mask or a gun

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Kraftwerk posted:

I haven’t played since it came out for the first time and man this feels like a different game.
Are there any good resources I can use for base planning and organization.
I think the hardest part about this game is knowing how to physically place your production lines, having the room to build them and then having to tear things down and re organize in order to scale up.

Do you guys do a main bus layout or something different?

I thought about doing a grasslands start just to come up with elaborate freight networks but I have no idea if it’ll work properly or if my tractors will just roll over and be unable to get back up again.

This is the best planning page, it also has a map where you can upload your savegame to see your own infrastructure and stuff: https://www.satisfactorytools.com/production
One cool feature is that you can limit how much of one resource you have, say 480 coal and then have it calculate (maximize) how many of a certain product you can produce with that limit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

The interaction with vehicles particularly annoys me because they'll get you through a vehicle even if you're wearing your gas mask. Your body slot isn't modelled while you're riding something.

The body slot not being modeled while driving is fine, but the gas mask not working while in a vehicle is IMO a bug that should be fixed. Character model and code effect should be separate things.

zedprime posted:

Otherwise it's all just no man's land I go around because it's already enough hassle to alternate jet pack and blade runner, I'm not about to juggle gas masks too.

The unreleased tier of new stuff definitely needs a 2nd body slot upgrade. I'm not sold on the game re-implementing the exo-suit mod, but 2 body slots would make dealing with rad suits and gas masks much more pleasant.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Klyith posted:

The body slot not being modeled while driving is fine, but the gas mask not working while in a vehicle is IMO a bug that should be fixed. Character model and code effect should be separate things.

I mean modeled in the gameplay sense; I agree it doesn't matter if you can see the stuff on your character.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yeah, I get that they don't want to make exploration too easy, but by the time you're into whatever quantum stuff is in the new tier(s) I think that you've earned the ability to explore quickly without also worrying about environmental damage. Or instead of body slots, just add a handheld personal teleporter or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wait smart splitters are important? I don't really see the need, and haven't even disassembled and replaced my petrochem overflow setup yet.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I started on a new save a few weeks ago and have played a few hours of it while streaming in between my current factorio binge. Instead of going all crazy with foundations and nice buildings I mostly built a giant spaghetti mess of belts and machines. It was quite a change from my normal layouts and I'll slowly be moving back to concrete, but until everything is demolished, enjoy the chaos.

Looking at it from here, it doesn't feel as bad as when I'm running in between the containers. The concrete you see is my new warehouse project and the start of something more .... structured.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Wish someone would somehow cover the entire map in factory/conveyors...like ALL OF IT. Imagine just going everywhere and never being able to escape the factory.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I think that's what Josh from Let's Game It Out did

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Wish someone would somehow cover the entire map in factory/conveyors...like ALL OF IT. Imagine just going everywhere and never being able to escape the factory.

There's a "pave the planet" effort, but the usable factory equipment is limited by the resources. There are only so many resource nodes.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

I mean modeled in the gameplay sense; I agree it doesn't matter if you can see the stuff on your character.
Evidently something along these lines is actually their problem, according to recaps of dev twitch streams where they've been asked about it and said it's a bug but not easy to fix.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wait smart splitters are important? I don't really see the need, and haven't even disassembled and replaced my petrochem overflow setup yet.
I mean they're not required if you balance all your IO perfectly. But I can't imagine making a central storage without them, and they're very handy for sinking the excess of any setup so you don't have to balance IO.

edit:

Powershift posted:

There's a "pave the planet" effort, but the usable factory equipment is limited by the resources. There are only so many resource nodes.
Underclock everything to 1%!

Saving & loading would take forever though. I already have to crank down how often I autosave because even the tiny hitch of the mid-game autosave is super annoying to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Like Klyith said, they are vital for a central storage system. They are also important if you are shipping multiple things by train in the same car. When the things get to where they need to go, you need to sort them back out.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I use them for sinking overflow, it is most obvious with the initial setup for aluminum or oil setups where, for oil, backed up residue can stop your power which is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Now that they do overflow I love smart splitters. My main storage area has a smart splitter for each item that feeds into a storage unit if there's space, otherwise it dumps it into a bus line that goes to a shredder.