Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Take 2 on the hoagie rolls.
Forgot it was taco Tuesday, so I used the last of my carniceria al pastor to make Torta Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

excellent bird guy posted:

Not grease, coconut oil to fry then coconut milk to make it creamy.
Hate to break it to you but coconut oil is a kind of grease.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Hate to break it to you but coconut oil is a kind of grease.

I read somewhere ITT, boiling chicken thighs in Cream of Mushroom soup. Good god if coconut oil is grease then that dish there would be 'the ultimate grease experience.'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I read somewhere ITT, boiling chicken thighs in Cream of Mushroom soup. Good god if coconut oil is grease then that dish there would be 'the ultimate grease experience.'

What do you think grease is?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

My point is that you seem to be putting too much cooking fat in your pan and it's making you nauseous. Fat is fat no matter whether it comes from coconuts or bacon. There shouldn't be an oily translucent slick on top of your food.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

prayer group posted:

My point is that you seem to be putting too much cooking fat in your pan and it's making you nauseous. Fat is fat no matter whether it comes from coconuts or bacon. There shouldn't be an oily translucent slick on top of your food.

hmm.. point taken. I believe you. I get nauseous almost every day from my food. I'm not exaggerating. For years. I'm completely self taught in my cooking and I cook everyday. I'll use LESS fat and see what happens. Thanks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I get nauseous almost every day from my food.

Does this happen when you eat food made by other people? If it does, see a doctor. If it doesn't, how has it gone on this long without you trying to alter the way you cook?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

Does this happen when you eat food made by other people? If it does, see a doctor. If it doesn't, how has it gone on this long without you trying to alter the way you cook?

No, and I don't know. I am a lot better than a few years ago when I would try to fry a huge pork loin in 20 minutes (instead of low and slow). I don't know how else to cook except fry vegetables or meat in a pan. Anyway Im good.
"Sour" Onion and Cabbage soup

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hmm.. point taken. I believe you. I get nauseous almost every day from my food. I'm not exaggerating. For years. I'm completely self taught in my cooking and I cook everyday. I'll use LESS fat and see what happens. Thanks.

Some people get nausea after eating due to a drop in blood pressure. Postprandial hypotension. Obviously could be something completely different in your case but there are steps you can take.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Two nights ago I made empanadas or pasties or whatever from some leftover pulled jackfruit bbq, sesame and pepita salsa macha, and a bit of red cabbage sauerkraut we had sitting around from getting takeout over the weekend. I forgot to take a picture of the insides but they were really tasty.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
made some red curry last night, basically the flavors of tom kha gai but served as a curry over rice instead of soup. used a bunch of sweet peppers from our local CSA that were really nice

excuse the paltry garnish of what little thai basil i had that was still good

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

In honor of the late, great vegan restaurant V Street, which shut down for good at the end of July, my wife and I made the dan dan recipe from their cookbook for dinner. We modified it a little to include tofu in addition to mushrooms, and in lieu of scallions we just garnished it with furikake. Like many of my all-time favorite recipes it is fundamentally an un-photogenic mound of orange and brown, but it's always comforting and filling and I had a lot of good memories eating it over the years.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That sucks. V Street was cool and good.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

That sucks. V Street was cool and good.

Vedge is still open and it seems like they're kind of folding in some of the more popular dishes but yeah, it's a huge bummer. I used to get lunch at V Street about twice a week since I was around Rittenhouse a bunch for work and at the time I always kind of kicked myself for spending so much money on eating out alone, but now I'm glad I got to have so many meals there. I think the second to last time I went it was with a bunch of friends who were in town and we got one or two of everything on the menu and shared which was a super memorable dinner. I think I'm going to get stuff to make their langos next time I hit the grocery.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I'm a long way from the US right now, but got a craving for a muffaletta after talking about them with friends for a while. I can source most ingredients here though I had to make the bread myself. Can't get provolone so I swapped it for low moisture mozzarella. Salami and other pork cold cuts are hard to come by here, but I have a little shop that caters to expats I can go to and pay exorbitant prices for that sort of thing. I think I processed the olive salad a little too much, but that's easy to keep in mind for next time.

All that said, I am really happy with how this thing turned out. It's also the proper size (huge) and it'll cover dinner for a week along with some chips. I'm currently on day 5.
:shepface:

I regret nothing.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 6, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
^^^^^^ beautiful, inspiring

I am going to eat like this for the next few days:

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

What is that?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

^^^^^^ beautiful, inspiring

There's still too much oil in that pan dude.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

There's still too much oil in that pan dude.

Nah it's good. It's a greasy cut of pork something (chop? shoulder? Whatever was the cheapest). And a chicken thigh. I LIKE fat. It fills you up. My teeth are so good because the fat is protective.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

My teeth are so good because the fat is protective.

lmao

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nah it's good. It's a greasy cut of pork something (chop? shoulder? Whatever was the cheapest). And a chicken thigh. I LIKE fat. It fills you up. My teeth are so good because the fat is protective.

Hey I just want to say I'm loving your gimmick never stop posting. Good stuff.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I'm just so confused on this. 'yay' if they are trying to learn and get better I guess, you have to start somewhere.

sterster fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 6, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hey I just want to say I'm loving your gimmick never stop posting. Good stuff.

Lots more good material here

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Healthy day today!

Grilled lettuce; pea shoots; mushrooms roasted with home smoked garlic and chilli, and spring onions; sourdough croutons; grilled radishes; poached egg; and garnished with microherbs, celery salt, smoked paprika and sea salt.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

large hands posted:

I would eat the hell out of this.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Stringent posted:

I would eat the hell out of this.

Lots of them look ok, if poorly presented and photographed

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

large hands posted:

That all looks drat good to me :nonironic:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Couple days back, but one thing I'll throw in here: try taking some antacids when you're feeling crappy. If those knock it out, then it definitely points to too much fat, for some reason that encourages stomach acid. One time I gorged myself on some very fatty carnitas and really suffered for it, antacids knocked it right out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Bourbon chicken with sides of beets and more bourbon.

Working lunch panzanella with some cheese. I'm definitely making this again soon with more ingredients.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Professor Wayne posted:

Bourbon chicken with sides of beets and more bourbon.

Working lunch panzanella with some cheese. I'm definitely making this again soon with more ingredients.

Hit me up with that bourbon chicken recipe!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I used this recipe

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s hotter than satan’s asscrack, so I couldn’t really face anything but sandwiches tonight. Luckily I had some brisket flat in a bag of spicy fluid in my fridge for the last five days.
Behold, some pastrami! I’ll try to post a reuben picture later.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This turned out well

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Torquemada posted:

This turned out well

drat that looks so good. My only issue with it is I'd want like 5 of the sandwhichs

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
First time making Peruvian! Got a nice batch of Limon chilies and decided to try our hands at aji de gallina

Chicken

Didn't have any skin-on, but hey quarantine life so that's what I'm working with

Taters

Onion and shallot in

Spices and garlic in

Pecan and pita bread paste

Paste in, stock in, time to reduce

Garnish of cilantro and fried castelvetranos, and it all came together beautifully!

It was absolutely delicious. Would definitely cook and devour again. I still have enough peppers to make this at least 3 more times

kumba fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 10, 2020

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Curry!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I had a small victory this week so I decided to splurge a bit and went to the butcher for a steak. Got a 2 lb bone in cowyboy ribeye.

Which I plated up with some fries and homemade sourdough with some Chimichurri on the side.

No matter how long I rest my steaks they always leak like that.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Here are some tofu cutlets and roasted green beans. I spent a little time with the spice grinder earlier this week making this and that, so I wanted to try out a different blend of things to season the tofu with-- mostly a mix of ground chiles de arbol and guajillos and white pepper. It was all kind of a moot point because I also decided to make a really basic little pomegranate bbq glaze so it's not like I could taste most of the rub to begin with-- it was a pretty nice level of smokey and spicy though. The coleslaw was just leftovers and the hot sauce was Queen Majesty's scotch bonnet and ginger.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

More of the same. I wish I could cook something else, regardless it tastes good. I put a lot of red wine in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I wish I could cook something else

Have you... tried