Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, no, the last season goes into some seriously brutal, uncompromising depictions of PTSD that would realistically plague a young person forced to deal with those kinds of problems.

Interesting. I've never really watched anything animated since I was a teenager watching DBZ. Maybe I should check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Interesting. I've never really watched anything animated since I was a teenager watching DBZ. Maybe I should check it out.

It builds up to it over five seasons. When it begins it’s probably what you’d expect from a kid’s show, but it gradually evolves into something very much it’s own with some very interesting, deliberate ideas about trauma, conflict, and resolution.

For example, I don’t think anything is ever solved by actual fighting in Steven Universe.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Regardless I hope Mike ends up getting some kind of superpower. He's a good character but right now he has the William problem from Arrow where his ability to be relevant to the A plot is extremely limited due to his age.

It never was fulfilled in the comic but from what others ahve posted in the thread Mike is meant to inherit STRIPE from his dad

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Possible spoilers for the pen-

Apparently in an early episode Mike asks if his friend Jakeem can come over for dinner

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

What a way to end the season for doom patrol. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

What a way to end the season for doom patrol. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

So...: was there supposed to be another episode but then COVID? I avoided rumour sites but I could see that. Jesus now we have to wait? Enjoyed it but maaaaaaaan...agreed.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I believe the actress who plays Dorothy said there was supposed to be another episode.

Edit:
It doesn't say what episode but assuming it was going to be the last

https://www.insider.com/doom-patrol-season-2-10-episodes-2020-7

quote:

"It was basically all finished," Abigail Shapiro, who plays Dorothy Spinner, told Insider of filming the second season. "There was going to be one more episode and we only had a couple of scenes left, but we never got to finish that episode."

"So, I don't know if that episode is ever going to air or anything," Shapiro added. "I don't know much about what's happening."

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 7, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: never mind

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Lord Bude posted:

Also check out Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix if you're coming back to animated series..

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Also check out Avatar: The Last Airbender on Netflix if you're coming back to animated series..

Thanks I will.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I believe the actress who plays Dorothy said there was supposed to be another episode.

Edit:
It doesn't say what episode but assuming it was going to be the last

https://www.insider.com/doom-patrol-season-2-10-episodes-2020-7

Thanks Frau Hagen. You should have a cameo in the next season of Doom Patrol. Big fan! Seriously Nina Hagen would fit so well.

Effin Covid. Another episode would have definitely made this less of a gut punch. Still good just.... abrupt and a bit of a downer. Miranda's fate was brutal. We could see it coming but still a hell of a way to end it.Did like Angry cursing punchy Jesus I know it hasn't been announced but Season 3 has got to be okayed eventually right? Seems like it was big news DP going to HBO/Crave/whatever.

Hopefully Stargirl has a good finale and didn't get cut short. I could read the spoilers I know but...

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I will have to look for my 7 Zwerge dvd to remember if she was a decent actress or not. - I think I remember her daughter Cosma was pretty good in it. But I may have lost the dvd in one of my many moves.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
WOW. Doom Patrol was rough. I'm sure they still pulled a miracle being able to put out what they did, but it felt super awkward the whole time. I guess it was supposed to be the penultimate episode which they didn't even get to finish filming.

Zesty posted:

Doom Patrol Speculation

So Miranda is the manifestation of the Dad, right?

Toddler Kay is "disobedient". Baby doll in the underground well.

Teenaged Kay "making eyes at the boy in church". Scarlet Harlot in the underground well.

Jane is strong and able to defy the fear of the well and their father? Jane in the underground well.

Don't know how the fiery one fits. I don't read the comics at all so all of my knowledge of this franchise is what I see in this show.

ayyyy.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Doom Patrol : Season 2 - Jesus? gently caress!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

gently caress Bible Camp!
gently caress YOU!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I struggled a lot with Doom Patrol, but I've been through the second season, and thought about it a bit, and I'm gonna be really sad if that's the last we get of it. Dorothy made the show click in a way that Mr Nobody absolutely did not last year.

But yes, some of the editing in that penultimate-finale was rough.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stargirl finale was pretty great. And the stuff they've set up for season two seems pretty great as well. Definitely a top tier super hero show all around. Can't wait to see how CW fucks it up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Stargirl finale was pretty great. And the stuff they've set up for season two seems pretty great as well. Definitely a top tier super hero show all around. Can't wait to see how CW fucks it up.

Yeah, the funny part is watching a show people call a typical CW show (because it features teens, probably) turn into an actual CW show.

It's honestly pretty far from their usual fair.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Stargirl Season Finale

I wasn't sure about Mike killing Icicle with a truck but then I remembered Joey Zarrick. That plus him specifically targeting Mike makes it a fitting way for him to go.

The way Brainwave died was harsh. He died foolishly but considering how he got zapped in episode 1, that was fitting in its own way too.

Glad Gambler got away. Also glad murdering the Fiddler came back to bite the ISA by leaving them outnumbered.

STRIPE is out of commission. Perfect for a reduced budget.

Shade, Eclipso, and Joel McHale. Tons of plot hooks for season 2.

Solid season finale. High point of the season was the episode Brainwave Jr. Very good season overall and a pleasant surprise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hypocrisy posted:

The way Brainwave died was harsh. He died foolishly but considering how he got zapped in episode 1, that was fitting in its own way too.

Wildcat: "Murder is wrong." Two minutes later: kills a man just to watch him die

Also, sucks to be the guy that has to raise and lower that flag at the end

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 10, 2020

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That Stargirl season finale had some serious Return of the King vibes. It just kept ending. Over and over. Just when you thought the credits were about to pop up...nope, another ending.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Open Source Idiom posted:

Dorothy made the show click in a way that Mr Nobody absolutely did not last year.

But yes, some of the editing in that penultimate-finale was rough.
I hope it comes back as I really like this weird and wonderful show. I was shocked at how much I grew to like Dorothy. I'm giving a lot of that due to the performances. She really worked well with all the cast and she has some skill.

Tiggum posted:

I am amazed how much I liked this finale and grew to like this show. Can't think of any bad moments in that finale and so much meat on the bones for next season. Everyone had a moment. Really, really strong mainstream superhero show and should be a guide of how to do it proper. Supergirl wished it could have had that very end of the finale with the flag for their season 1. My biggest worry with CW is cast change and forcing them to make 20 something episodes. Let the same writers and showrunners stay and do the same prestige style show.

Hypocrisy posted:

Stargirl Season Finale

I wasn't sure about Mike killing Icicle with a truck but then I remembered Joey Zarrick. That plus him specifically targeting Mike makes it a fitting way for him to go.

Glad Gambler got away. Also glad murdering the Fiddler came back to bite the ISA by leaving them outnumbered.

STRIPE is out of commission. Perfect for a reduced budget.

Shade, Eclipso, and Joel McHale. Tons of plot hooks for season 2.

Solid season finale. High point of the season was the episode Brainwave Jr. Very good season overall and a pleasant surprise.

They killed the Wizard too and he had some serious abilities. Wizard and Fiddler would have probably made that unwinnable and that isn't even taking into driving away Shade, as he is more of an anti hero.

Mike killing him was good stuff. He had already been defeated so it was just humourous and fitting icing on the cake. Sorry for the horrid pun.

Brainwave's death was also really well done. This entire season BW has gotten in trouble by assuming everyone else was incompetent and a moron. If he had played it slightly more cautious, he might never have been in a coma nor would be have been clawed. Yeah the old hubris downfall is well worn but there was precedent. I really liked it as now it sets up Yolanda for some good development next season. I hope she remembers she argued against killing just a bit before doing it. Hopefully that was on purpose. Beth has to work without a fully functioning Chuck crutch and find her own legs as a hero, Hourman dealt with some of his anger and maybe realized things aren't so black and white, Courtney I think gets to keep growing as a hero and a leader of the JSA. Eclipso? Shade? Fake Starman or Slacker Starman? Yeah they really have a good setup for season 2. Stacked. If CW blows this then I will be so bloody sad.

I really enjoyed the hell out of this show.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 10, 2020

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Finale wondering out loud spoilers:
Did this episode pull some sort of ideological switcheroo? First the ISA are brainwashing everyone to accept social services and government-sponsored care, with 25% of the population dying as a result. Okay, enormous collateral damage and forced compliance are bad, both as means and ends, no problem smashing that plan.

But then the finale hits and several moments line up in a way that feel victorious and affirming in the moment but also somewhat counter to one of the show's subplots. Cindy, Yolanda, and Mike all straight-up kill ISA members, with no crises of conscience for any of them. And Mike's a kid, shattering a man into bits with a truck before quipping about it with his dog! Then cut to a happy Christmas morning followed by a stepfather-daughter moment beneath the American flag. We live in GOD's country aka AMERICA where we MURDER bad guys and do NOTHING to enable universal health care or renewable energy!

I mean, I'll savor the happy ending and had a great time with the show in general, but something feels off.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Space Fish posted:

Did this episode pull some sort of ideological switcheroo? First the ISA are brainwashing everyone to accept social services and government-sponsored care, with 25% of the population dying as a result. Okay, enormous collateral damage and forced compliance are bad, both as means and ends, no problem smashing that plan.

But then the finale hits and several moments line up in a way that feel victorious and affirming in the moment but also somewhat counter to one of the show's subplots. Cindy, Yolanda, and Mike all straight-up kill ISA members, with no crises of conscience for any of them. And Mike's a kid, shattering a man into bits with a truck before quipping about it with his dog! Then cut to a happy Christmas morning followed by a stepfather-daughter moment beneath the American flag. We live in GOD's country aka AMERICA where we MURDER bad guys and do NOTHING to enable universal health care or renewable energy!

I mean, I'll savor the happy ending and had a great time with the show in general, but something feels off.

I think you're right about things feeling a bit off but I chalked it up to a "don't know if we're getting a second season so drat a bunch of logistical stuff and finish it happy" type situation.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Space Fish posted:

I love the way you worded that and I actually laughed out loud as you are 100% right.

Hypocrisy posted:

I think you're right about things feeling a bit off but I chalked it up to a "don't know if we're getting a second season so drat a bunch of logistical stuff and finish it happy" type situation.

Just watched it a second time and You are both right. It's a total emotional climax and still fun and full of patriotic fervour. It's good but a lot of the answers to those questions about the morality of killing the Injustice Society were put aside so it could have the big bombastic happy ending. Hopefully that is brought up again as that could be really nice plot point or two to add for future seasons.

Good news is that you could make a giant arc or two with the various members coming to grips with what happened. Yolanda's is the obvious one but Mike hiding his trauma with jokes could be another. Also... it could come back to bite them in the rear end. I could hear a villain using Space Fish's post to the JSA. They killed the bad guys to make sure their world just kept on going. For their own benefit. For what they see as the greater good. Is that really that much different than what the ISA did? Like I said before: lots of meat on those bones. We will see.

Still really enjoyed it. Not even my country's flag but I found the ending hit that nice happy Golden Age comic spot; especially for a Season 1 finale. Glad it wasn't grimdark.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I don't really feel like Dorothy was as good of a central story this season as Mr nobody. The only real positive in my mind was we get more Timothy Dalton, it basically felt like the season was "a girl goes through puberty, with special guests the Doom Patrol". The high point of every episode was literally all the non-dorothy plots, other than the Candlemaker appearances.
If I were to rank the character arcs in entertainment value, I'd go
Cliff>Rita>Jane>Larry>Dorothy>Cyborg.
Cyborgs ptsd war criminal friend plot was better when it intersected with the rest of the cast, but that rarely happened

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It sounds like DC Universe is dead as a doornail today, but given that this is coming in the middle of a mass of Warner layoffs that's less than shocking.

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697
https://twitter.com/AjepArt2/status/1291908873272598528

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

END ME SCOOB posted:

It sounds like DC Universe is dead as a doornail today, but given that this is coming in the middle of a mass of Warner layoffs that's less than shocking.

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697
https://twitter.com/AjepArt2/status/1291908873272598528

DC Universe never made it to my country, I guess because of the same reason Disney+ has been struggling to get here. They have their lawyers fighting with teeth and nail against two of our main TV networks (who are in danger of bankruptcy) who don't want just a slice of the streaming-mania, they want the whole cake.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Desperado Bones posted:

DC Universe never made it to my country, I guess because of the same reason Disney+ has been struggling to get here. They have their lawyers fighting with teeth and nail against two of our main TV networks (who are in danger of bankruptcy) who don't want just a slice of the streaming-mania, they want the whole cake.

It never launched anywhere outside the US, in fact.

anyway, it’s very clear that DC Universe was a relic of pre-AT&T Warner and that it made no real sense to continue it in an HBO Max world. I just wonder why they killed it by a thousand cuts instead of announcing a more unified phase-out plan, but this was inevitable.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

It never launched anywhere outside the US, in fact.

Oof. That was a bad move.

It annoyed me that they never threw their shows in other streaming services. We got Titans on Netflix. but never Doom Patrol, Harley's or even Swamp Thing. :smith:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hypocrisy posted:

It very much felt like the end of a movie. Sure, there's a bunch of stuff to set up a sequel, but this movie is finished. Which is honestly pretty great. Way too many TV shows reach the end of a season and just go "come back next year to find out what happens next!" and never actually provide a satisfying conclusion to anything.

Terror Sweat posted:

I don't really feel like Dorothy was as good of a central story this season as Mr nobody. The high point of every episode was literally all the non-dorothy plots
Season one was also best when it was focused on the individual characters and not Mr Nobody. Mr Nobody was poo poo. Dorothy was mostly less poo poo, but still an unnecessary weight dragging the show down. I don't know why they think they need the season-long villain/mystery when the bits that have nothing to do with them are so strong.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-comics-dc-universe-hit-by-major-layoffs-1306743

More on the layoffs

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Desperado Bones posted:

It annoyed me that they never threw their shows in other streaming services. We got Titans on Netflix. but never Doom Patrol, Harley's or even Swamp Thing. :smith:

Harley was locked to adult sim in most places.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

Oof. That was a bad move.

I know in Canada they put Doom Patrol on Crave, though I was sure I heard it wold be on Netflix like Titans.

They're shuttering DC Collectibles as well, where will people get 50 different Joker statues a year anymore?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I know in Canada they put Doom Patrol on Crave, though I was sure I heard it wold be on Netflix like Titans.

Mexico only got Titans on Netflix (and the CW shows minus Stargirl, and all DC movies -I dunno about cable tv because HAHAH who even watches that-?). I guess after losing the rights for all of Marvel they decided to go for Warner's/DC movies and series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm rather curious as to how the budget is gonna turn out for a theoretical season 2. If they're gonna keep getting HBO Max style money or if they'll get demoted to CW tier funding. If it's the latter, idk how long they'd be able to keep Luke Wilson on since I assume he still costs a bit despite not having quite as many accolades as his brother, Owen. Joel McHale seems pretty up there too, though I imagine he'd only show up for an episode or two.

There's a lot of possible seeds besides the stuff that was shown in the episode itself and imo, I think Icicle isn't dead. But it's still a situation that might cause proper possible relationship drama if Johns decides to pursue that route.

Also, the building manager at the end was Geoff Johns, wasn't it?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I was amazed they were able to get a Wilson brother in the first place. I hadn’t watched anything about the show before I started watching it and my jaw dropped when I saw him pop up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The rock Hourboy picked up at the end was super TOS Kirk styrofoam, i loved it. I also liked how they managed to make the Staff look angry.

Brainwave was one of those villains you can't really defeat without killing him, that's one of the problems with creating telepathic villains. You either have to magic up some tech to prevent them from using their powers, place some limitations on their powers, or well, kill them. Also Yolanda didn't kill him in cold blood, she had an opening and took it against an immensely more dangerous villain she couldn't otherwise defeat. Not that I think she shouldn't come out of it without some kind of trauma, but she did nothing wrong.

I know it definitely won't happen next year, but dammit if this show is moving to the CW, they have to do crossovers. Court and Kara together would be like a pile of kittens, puppies and baby bunnies.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Court is basically Kara in a hypothetical Midvale show. I'd love to see the two of them meet, if only for Kara's horrified reaction to the risks Court takes and Alex saying "now you know how I feel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I was amazed they were able to get a Wilson brother in the first place. I hadn’t watched anything about the show before I started watching it and my jaw dropped when I saw him pop up.

Ehh, Luke's star has faded quit a bit. He hasn't really been a leading man in a while and was doing toothpaste commercials not that long ago.