Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Just a joke :3: but for real, I'm pretty out of touch with the culture of the kids coming up, but I can offer my ancient millennial guidance

Glad to hear that!

I mean... lovely of you to not like catgirls!

The Berzerker posted:

I haven't made a lot of effortposts or anything in this thread but I am really, really enjoying this tournament and some of the movies that I am discovering through it so shout out to Shrecknet for running it and shoutout to all of the posters writing really thoughtful rationales on why they're voting one way or another every round

Yeah its been great to see some stuff I've heard of but never got to viewing until now.

Hope we can come up with another bracket tourney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Honestly though, shouldn't presume Tobe Hooper is a shoe-in against Brian Yuzna. I could easily see Salem's Lot or Eaten Alive going down to RotLD 3 or Society. It's really going to come down to the draws here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly though, shouldn't presume Tobe Hooper is a shoe-in against Brian Yuzna. I could easily see Salem's Lot or Eaten Alive going down to RotLD 3 or Society. It's really going to come down to the draws here.

I'm pretty excited for this match up

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Eaten Alive stomps RotLD3 and Society, easy.

What Hooper movies are in play? Please say The Funhouse.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah its been great to see some stuff I've heard of but never got to viewing until now.

Hope we can come up with another bracket tourney.

Horror Director Tourney vol 2, winner is excluded. :getin:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tobe Hooper

Poltergeist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Eaten Alive
Salem's Lot
Lifeforce

Thing about Eaten Alive is I've been in an audience at an all night horror marathon and seen people revolt at that movie. Like, if Last House on the Left doomed Craven I could see people struggling with that one for similar reasons, though it's not like Yuzna movies make you feel any cozier.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

There's a lot of names that didn't get to play or good directors who went out early on a bad draw so hell yeah.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Tobe Hooper

Poltergeist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Eaten Alive
Salem's Lot
Lifeforce

Thing about Eaten Alive is I've been in an audience at an all night horror marathon and seen people revolt at that movie. Like, if Last House on the Left doomed Craven I could see people struggling with that one for similar reasons, though it's not like Yuzna movies make you feel any cozier.

Salem's Lot should have been The Funhouse :colbert: Y'all done hosed up.

Eaten Alive is sleazy and off-putting, but I think in a good way. People talk about movies that feel like a fever dream, and Eaten Alive is a deadly fever dream. It's really unhinged in an other-worldly way.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I could certainly be convinced to support Eaten Alive cause I think it's a good film, but I can see people not enjoying it and going towards something goofier and gooier.

I mean, Hooper could very well draw TCM or Lifeforce and barrel his way forward too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Here's our Round 2 bracket

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well Honda, here's hoping for randommat

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Godzilla vs. Parasite. Let's make it happen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Previous combatants can not reuse films

Or a bracket consisting of knock outs from the 1st round

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Previous combatants can not reuse films

Or a bracket consisting of knock outs from the 1st round

I thought about not re-using films, but that's gonna suck for directors like Peele, or strong contenders like Lynch who will make it pretty late into the game.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I thought about not re-using films, but that's gonna suck for directors like Peele, or strong contenders like Lynch who will make it pretty late into the game.

Which is a benefit in the next bracket imo. Bit smaller since some options won't be able to be nominated, and make some matchups more competitive.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I would not include the Duos in a new bracket but that's just me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I would not include the Duos in a new bracket but that's just me.

A solely duos or single horror film director bracket could be fun too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Tinseltown analysis:

Spoilered for containing potential though not certain upcoming films.

- Lynch is strongly favored over Murnau, and Shrecknet has promised Fire Walk with Me will not be the next pick though remains in Lynch's docket going forward. Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive will be his strongest remaining films, but Inland Empire could be a wild card as a long, unwieldy and offputting film. In order to stay competitive, Murnau needs to draw Nosferatu with The Haunted Castle (his only two remaining films) being unlikely to give him the potential for an upset.
- Raimi is competing with Evil Dead, Evil Dead II and Drag Me to Hell, a limited but strong selection. I'm not too familiar with Corman's filmography in competition but I think it will be hard to overcome Raimi here. If there's any Evil Dead fatigue from the series winning the last tournament that could hurt Raimi, and Drag Me to Hell, though well liked, is not as strong. Corman will be at a disadvantage likely no matter what he draws with his Masque of the Red Death out, but I could see The Pit and the Pendulum, It Conquered the World and Bucket of Blood being potentially stronger than expected plays.
- Cronenberg should have an easy time against PWSA, unless Anderson gets Event Horizon. Hard to pinpoint a weak spot for Cronenberg, it may be The Brood or Rabid which aren't as flashy as his other films in competition but are still quite a formidable combatants. Anderson, with three Resident Evils and AVP in his docket, is going to need to get very lucky and Cronenberg very unlucky in their draws if there's hope of an upset.
- Hitchcock vs. Fulci could be the matchup to watch. Wildly different styles and eras clashing together here. Hitchcock's Frenzy could match the nastiness of a Fulci, but will pale to the gore. However, the perfection of a Hitchcock masterwork like Psycho or Vertigo will make it difficult to lose. At the same time, I can see horror fans swinging for a favorite like Fulci over the canonical. Fulci may be underseeded here, but he's in a tough matchup nevertheless. It's not impossible for an upset, but it won't be easy.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 6, 2020

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Scott/Carpenter should be Battle Dan O'Bannon (the horror in Dark Star is having to be a philosophy instructor).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MacheteZombie posted:

A solely duos or single horror film director bracket could be fun too.

Single horror film director gets won by Michael Powell no matter who else is in the field.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shamefully I can easily see myself voting for PWS for a second round in a row. I really quite like Event Horizon and Resident Evil and I was pretty cold on Shivers and Rabid. Maybe PWS draws one of the RE sequels and Cronenberg draws The Fly or something surprises me. But I think my anti-intellectual slant or whatever it is may win out again.

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh God. And here I've been dreading Zombi or a Hereditary rewatch.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Shamefully I can easily see myself voting for PWS for a second round in a row. I really quite like Event Horizon and Resident Evil and I was pretty cold on Shivers and Rabid. Maybe PWS draws one of the RE sequels and Cronenberg draws The Fly or something surprises me. But I think my anti-intellectual slant or whatever it is may win out again.

Oh God. And here I've been dreading Zombi or a Hereditary rewatch.

I mean, I personally wouldn't put Eaten Alive in the same category of Last House on the Left, or Zombi, or Hereditary. I think it's more similar to... If the final act of Texas Chainsaw Massacre was filmed like Creepshow (Father's Day or The Crate segments), but with less humor. Southern-fried Psycho is apt, Redneck Bava is apt, Tennessee Williams penned grindhouse is apt. (These are all letterboxd review pull quotes). There's also a weird intentionally off-putting horniness to it.

I dunno, it's very good. William Finley, Mel Ferrer, Robert Englund, and Marilyn Burns returns from TCM.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if it comes up I'll watch it. I've been avoiding Zombi for years but I'll watch it if it comes up. Its stuff like Hereditary and Last House on the Left that I've already seen that I'm just remiss to revisit. And even Hereditary I'm on the fence about because like, I liked it. It just hosed me up bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, if it comes up I'll watch it. I've been avoiding Zombi for years but I'll watch it if it comes up. Its stuff like Hereditary and Last House on the Left that I've already seen that I'm just remiss to revisit. And even Hereditary I'm on the fence about because like, I liked it. It just hosed me up bad.

Oh, I'll never rewatch Last House on the Left. Or I Spit On Your Grave. Or Cannibal Holocaust. I've considered the latter, and I just can't do it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I've seen Cannibal Holocaust in the theater twice, though I fell asleep midway through the second time and woke up right at the end when the dude's head hits the ground right in front of the camera.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed I Spit on your Grave. I could see myself watching that again in the theatre. Salo is the film I would struggle to watch again, and it's not even the content that gets me, it's how relentless it is. Just when I'm ready to tap out and say "okay movie, you win", the words "The Circle of poo poo" flash on the screen.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Carol Clover's essay on rape revenge films, that does a deep analysis of I Spit On Your Grave, really elevated my appreciation for that film. It's flawed but it's layered in ways I never considered before.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's one of those films that like... I'm mildly tempted to challenge myself but I don't wanna. Its easy to ignore I sSpit On Your Grave when I just include it in a list of movies like Cannibal Holocaust and Zombi I also just don't want to watch. But if I start picking those off then eventually it gets harder to just ignore 1 or 2.

But I'll probably never watch Faces of Death.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How many Faces of Death were there in the end

I remember running across some in select stores back in the...mid 90s I want to say

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like including Zombi in this category doesn't quite fit. I mean, there's some gross gore in Zombi but it's a much more fun movie. A zombie fights a shark!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Now witness the power of this fully-armed and operational :rolldice: contest!

Return to Tinseltown! This is a maddening round because all the underdogs I like got a rough pull instead of their all-time classic. Maybe we can still save one of them!

Blue Velvet (VUDU) vs The Haunted Castle (public domain). Murnau is going to lose without ever deploying :drac: Count Orlok

:( The second-worst Resident Evil. PWSA can't seem to get either of the good REs or Event Horizon. (stream free on USA the channel app/site?) vs Shivers (TUBI)

Even Vincent Price can't stand up to Evil Dead 2 I'm sure, but we should all give Haunted Palace a watch (someone else find a source) vs Evil Dead 2 (IndieFlix?)

I think it's funny that STAC was convinced directors with deep libraries would be at a disadvantage. Well, not if they just have dozens of all-time classics to their name!
Anyway, DTAD (Shudder) is losing to Vertigo (free w ads on Peacock)

VOTE NOW! OR AFTER WATCHING! SHARE THE LINK WITH FRIENDS!
:siren: Here's the Link :siren:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 7, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well, R.I.P. to all those guys, probably never been an easier round. Still looking forward to Murnau and Corman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I definitely liked Blue Velvet but didn't really love it so it's possible Murnau could get my vote. But I'll also rewatch Blue Velvet so maybe it'll grow on me.

The Haunted Palace is really good and I'd love to vote for it, brutal matchup there for Corman. But it'll probably come back to bite Raimi when he doesn't have Evil Dead 2 to pull out down the line.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shrecknet posted:

I think it's funny that STAC was convinced directors with deep libraries would be at a disadvantage. Well, not if they just have dozens of all-time classics to their name!
I have been entirely and completely wrong about this tournament and I deserve to eat poo poo about it as often as you guys want to shove my face in it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Come on yall. Vote for Dont torture a duckling.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Come on yall. Vote for Dont torture a duckling.

Nah, let's not vote for the paedo movie.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Huh, the only movies I haven't seen are Haunted Palace and Haunted Castle.

I'm expecting right now that my votes will be:

Blue Velvet - My favourite Lynch film
Shivers - One of my least favourite Cronenbergs, but it's against PWSA, so an easy win.
Evil Dead 2 - My favourite Raimi film
Vertigo - In my top 3 Hitchcock films, and top 2 Hitchcock horror films

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Haunted Palace got a tough pairing with ED2, but it's a high-water mark from Corman, Price, and Lovecraft going up against what's essentially a remake.

I'm really curious to see how it does.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: The Haunted Palace Vs. Evil Dead 2 tonight on the CineD Discord :spooky:

1930 EST The Haunted Palace
2110 EST Evil Dead 2

moths posted:

Haunted Palace got a tough pairing with ED2, but it's a high-water mark from Corman, Price, and Lovecraft going up against what's essentially a remake.

I'm really curious to see how it does.

I just flicked through The Haunted Palace, and holy poo poo, you're not joking. It looks amazing!

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Aug 11, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Shivers - One of my least favourite Cronenbergs, but it's against PWSA, so an easy win.
y'all sleep on PWSA but the dude is not incompetent. He made the best VG movie ever (Mortal Kombat), the deleriously subversive Death Race and the legitimately good to great RE1 and Event Horizon.

He's definitely from the school of vulgar auteurism but hes not uwe boll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I've voted for Uwe Boll more times than PWSA during these two Bracketology threads, just so you know where I'm coming from. I'll happily take Boll's brand of cynical trash, over PWSA's featurelentgh videogame cutscenes. I did like the original Resident Evil though, and I'm yet to see his Death Race. Maybe he'll surprise me.